Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The prospero MK 3 marines aren't snap-fit or anything like that, right? If I wanted to put Deathwatch pauldrons on it's just like any normal marine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Yo are you playing that lonewolf40k guy on insta? That's a great looking army.

e: A treat from Dakka - people are trying to argue that GW have TOTALLY hosed UP because Death Company don't have the Death Company keyword. They do, it's just in the "Faction Keywords" line and not the "Keywords" line. Top stuff.

I am, yeah! His army is gorgeous in person. He’s won best painted in a couple tournaments. I was really impressed how Wolfy he made the Primaris from the Dark Imperium set.

He’s working on Nids at the moment, which should end up looking pretty great. I feel bad slapping down my half painted Deathwatch against his wolves, but I try and play my AdMech against him regularly since they’re painted.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

The prospero MK 3 marines aren't snap-fit or anything like that, right? If I wanted to put Deathwatch pauldrons on it's just like any normal marine?

Yeah they're the classical multi part marine setup.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Entropy238 posted:

Out of curiosity, do people in this thread tend to prefer fluffy play or more competitive play?

hi i'm soulfucker ask me about playing nids since 5th edition without any winged hive tyrants

I did score third place in a local tournament once!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can't bear myself to just slap on paint, but I am way too slow a painter as well.
:same: I can't dial down and just slap basecoats on things to get them done.

My last (20-man) tactical squad was a slog. I do all sorts of weird poo poo for my 30k Dark Angels; checker patterns, stripes, some basic heraldry here and there. On top of that, I edge highlight everything. I tend to paint in batches of 5, but I tried doing a 10-man batch that time around and it completely killed my drive. I got a bunch of one-offs done, but my 30k progress was completely stifled because I'd personally gated any vehicles, characters, etc. behind finishing those drat tacticals. It was such a relief when I finally buckled down and finished them up. Highlighting black armor really is that bad, but I have standards, damnit.

Stay tuned for my inevitable descent into madness while I attempt fail to complete a glaive in a Wyoming hotel room before I head home for Christmas and instead take it home in a last-ditch effort to finish it before the new year in order to avoid a ban and a $10 fee. It is currently soaking.
:shepicide:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The better you get at painting, the more you hate your old stuff, the longer it takes to get stuff ready for play...it is a curse.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I've settled into a comfortable tabletop level of painting. I try new stuff from time to time, but I've accepted I have neither the patience nor skill to produce something really amazing. At some point I do want to put an army together purely focused on improving my painting and such, but I'm usually too excited about trying new stuff to game with.

I will admit that my regular IG were painted mostly grey, and 8 colours total, to get them on the table as fast as possible.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Corrode posted:

I've settled into a comfortable tabletop level of painting. I try new stuff from time to time, but I've accepted I have neither the patience nor skill to produce something really amazing. At some point I do want to put an army together purely focused on improving my painting and such, but I'm usually too excited about trying new stuff to game with.

I will admit that my regular IG were painted mostly grey, and 8 colours total, to get them on the table as fast as possible.

If your stuff is anything to go by I assure you that you are beyond the average table top standard.

A lot of armies look good at a distance, but on closer inspection they turn out to be really sloppy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Corrode posted:

Yeah, I've comfortably come to terms with painting to a "does it look alright on a 2 inch tall man from 3 feet away on a tabletop" standard. A solid 6/10. A journeyman.

The majority of my models are just prime, basecoat, wash, drybrush. And it looks fine.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 6, 2017

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I hate the thought of my army not looking uniform, and also hate the thought of repainting everything, so my Blood Angels are all stuck at pretty much the same quality level even though I know I've improved. The Fists army I'm starting is letting me mess with new techniques which is great, and I think that either starting a second army or picking up one of the many skirmish games is a good way for people who feel they've plateaued to get a chance to try new techniques.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have been working on Howling Griffons #17-40 for a couple weeks. I am getting close, but it is definitely a slog. I still have lining, gun arms and helmets to do.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

xtothez posted:

But...but... someone please think of the zoanthropes :ohdear:

last game i played a single warp blast took 4 of my beautiful death company

the genestealers took the rest

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

If your stuff is anything to go by I assure you that you are beyond the average table top standard.

A lot of armies look good at a distance, but on closer inspection they turn out to be really sloppy.

Thanks. I don't think I'm a bad painter, just a limited one, which isn't a bad place to be - and I can always sit the first Tac Marine I painted when I started playing again in like 08 next to my Primaris from this year to see the difference!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I'd much rather have an army to play so my strategy these days is to fully basecoat (which includes base, shade and highlight with the airbrush on major areas) everything, except perhaps the tiniest of details. Then I seal with a gloss and call it playable. The goal is to have everything I need to field an army at that stage and then go back and wash, edge highlight, etc. So every model ultimately gets the care it deserves but I'm able to field a good-looking and cohesive army quickly. I'd much rather have a basic army that is consistent vs. a few units/models that are fully painted amidst a sea of gray.

I do usually fully paint, wash and drybrush bases before fielding, and that also makes a big difference.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I am an absolute terror in casual games for fielding half an army unpainted. I'm hoping the incidences of this will go down over time as I settle into 8th and stop finding old 5th ed stuff completely useless (autocannons please be good again).

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

eight colors, who do you think you are, some loving hobbiest

I'm with you, if I can't bang out 20 models a night of something simple (guardsmen, marines) I would never get anything done. Hell I did my shadowsword in like 90 minutes the night before I traveled to Dragonfall. I am firmly in the speed batch painting camp because I am a meta chasing army hopping whore.

Speaking of, I played some BA splashed into my assassin list last night. Captain Hammer charging out of deep strike and Mephi rolling around with quickening and wings was a great add to the celestine/assassin soup. I played my roommates bug gunline with three sporecysts, 9 hive guard, 2 maleceraptors, 3 of the zone HQ dude, and like 6 biovores. I almost boarded him on 6 and would have done a ton better if I wasn't wading though mortal wound spores all drat game.

We played the new ITC Champ missions and they were pretty good. It's easy to "hold a thing, kill a thing" and keep track of how many things were killed a turn. He crushed his "kill 3 for a point per round" and "kill characters" right away but it didn't matter because ~*~board control wins games~*~ and all my guard trash was holding all the objectives while he was dealing with 17 lethal characters in his back field.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xtothez posted:

But...but... someone please think of the zoanthropes :ohdear:

Yeah any limits on smite will punish zoanthropes more than other psykers, which is awkward.

Although tyrants are better psykers than zoanthropes now anyways :/

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Naramyth posted:

I'm with you, if I can't bang out 20 models a night of something simple (guardsmen, marines) I would never get anything done. Hell I did my shadowsword in like 90 minutes the night before I traveled to Dragonfall. I am firmly in the speed batch painting camp because I am a meta chasing army hopping whore.

Painting a single dude takes me like 8 hours, jesus christ.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Speaking of, I played some BA splashed into my assassin list last night. Captain Hammer charging out of deep strike and Mephi rolling around with quickening and wings was a great add to the celestine/assassin soup. I played my roommates bug gunline with three sporecysts, 9 hive guard, 2 maleceraptors, 3 of the zone HQ dude, and like 6 biovores. I almost boarded him on 6 and would have done a ton better if I wasn't wading though mortal wound spores all drat game.

We played the new ITC Champ missions and they were pretty good. It's easy to "hold a thing, kill a thing" and keep track of how many things were killed a turn. He crushed his "kill 3 for a point per round" and "kill characters" right away but it didn't matter because ~*~board control wins games~*~ and all my guard trash was holding all the objectives while he was dealing with 17 lethal characters in his back field.

Ban this guy, he uses Reivers as Eversors, if you are going to be "the worst" you should at least have to buy the actual models.

Artum posted:

Basically this. It is hard to add up since I do my guys in steps, but currently I am working on 6 Inceptors. I started a little over a week ago. I average about 2 hours a night, and I am still doing the first round of Calgar Blue Highlights.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I spent a ton of time on each of my AdMech guys, and it drove me crazy. I've found the best way to do it (to stay sane) is to do the masses up to table-top standard, and do the HQs, Characters and centerpieces to a higher standard.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Run me through the ridiculous assassin spam again, iirc it was like 16 Eversors but I can't remember if there was more to it.

My final exam is next Thursday and then I am gonna go full ham getting regular games in, I can't wait.

Artum posted:

Basic Guardsmen I can probably do like 10 an hour.

Escher Grey base
Rhinox Hide belt, hands, gas masks
Waaagh Flesh gun casing
Tin Bitz helmet, belt buckle, gun metal
Ironbreaker helmet, belt buckle, gun metal
Mournfang Brown belt, gas mask
Cadian Fleshtone on hands
Catachan Green gun casing
Abbadon Black boots
Mechanicum Standard Grey on clothes
Wash everything Earthshade except metals which get Nuln Oil
Eyes Jokaero Orange then Fire Dragon Bright.
Forest Green highlight for the gun casing

That's actually 15 colours I guess, although two of those are washes and the eyes are tiny dots.

Bases are just the two greys with some dead grass on them.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

One or two guys takes me about 6 hours, 5 take me 8 to 10. I'll never understand the people who can knock out even just basecoating all the colors in an hour.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

I spent a ton of time on each of my AdMech guys, and it drove me crazy. I've found the best way to do it (to stay sane) is to do the masses up to table-top standard, and do the HQs, Characters and centerpieces to a higher standard.

There are no masses, every Marine is a hero of the Imperium.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

One or two guys takes me about 6 hours, 5 take me 8 to 10. I'll never understand the people who can knock out even just basecoating all the colors in an hour.

It's very dependent on the model, but also I do things in order of least careful to most careful. So in the thing I posted above, I spam on the Escher Grey with a big brush, then for the Rhinox Hide who cares if a little bit gets on the grey basecoat, and so on until the end where I'm taking more care and then the lighter grey layer is also covering any mistakes. It's definitely easier with mostly dark colours - my Scions are much more technical and accordingly they take much longer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artum posted:

Same, and if I try to batch paint 8 gaunts at once I get bored and start rushing. So I prefer painting one at a time and just going slow.

But drat its slow.

Good thing my friend doesn't mind me fielding an army with half the units in 2 different paint schemes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So after years in the GW wilderness as one of the people who routinely made fun of them in the various Death Threads, I suddenly find myself interested in playing 40k again. :sweatdrop: Should I grab one of the cheaper starter boxes to begin with, or should I just sell my blood plasma save up my hard-earned pennies and get the Dark Imperium box?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So after years in the GW wilderness as one of the people who routinely made fun of them in the various Death Threads, I suddenly find myself interested in playing 40k again. :sweatdrop: Should I grab one of the cheaper starter boxes to begin with, or should I just sell my blood plasma save up my hard-earned pennies and get the Dark Imperium box?

Depends on which army you're interested in? Marines and DGs in the Dark Imperium box.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Depends. Do you wanna play Primaris marines or Death Guard? If so, Dark Imperium.

If not, respective Start Collecting box.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MofgqGcXsRI

Sneak peak of a new Nurgle daemon in another amusing video

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Corrode posted:

Run me through the ridiculous assassin spam again, iirc it was like 16 Eversors but I can't remember if there was more to it.

My final exam is next Thursday and then I am gonna go full ham getting regular games in, I can't wait.

Get ready to ham, and do some slam.

Naramyth's Current Garbage, Crica 12/5/2017 (and probably again tonight)

Brigade/Vanguard soups (cadia or BA where applicable) 13CP
Celestine
Mephi
Primaris Pskyer
Company Commander (warlord, the reroll ones cadia relic)
1x5 scouts (bolters currently)
2x10 infantry
3x10 infantry with mortar
3x cyber doggos
3x3 mortar teams
13x Eversors
culexus
Patrol detachment (BA)
Captain with thunder hammer, chainsword, pistol (buys the hits on 2s hammer)
1x5 scouts (also bolters currently)

I place scouts so I don't get zoned out, then keep 14 drops off the table. I don't really care how you setup except for my characters that start on the table (culexus, mephi, celestine, pskyer) can counter deploy. While you are deploying I set up my DZ with guardsmen keeping the mortars (heavy weapon teams and infantry squads) within 12" of the warlord. The 10 mans go forward to screen, die, and hold objectives. the cyber doggos screen characters or fill holes in my zone for deep strikers.

Going first only really matters if I can get zoned out (so hammer anvil, or angles) otherwise I go second drop all the dudes and charge all the things. Eversors clean up trash like nothing and can tank or tie up big stuff while the other hard hitters go after things that need to die. Having BA stratagems gives mephi and the captain d3 more swings, swings when they die, and swing again after the whole fight phase which can really tear things down.

Uroboros posted:

Ban this guy, he uses Reivers as Eversors, if you are going to be "the worst" you should at least have to buy the actual models.

*checks ebay*

~30 bucks a model, or 15 for old metal models? Pass. Reivers are way cooler looking anyway

Uroboros posted:

:911: :respek::911:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am totally going to build an Eversor army out of Reivers. Thanks for this! Time to go find pistol bits!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

dexefiend posted:

I am totally going to build an Eversor army out of Reivers. Thanks for this! Time to go find pistol bits!

oh god its spreading!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Naramyth posted:

Celestine
Mephi
Primaris Pskyer
2x10 infantry
3x cyber doggos
3x3 mortar teams
13x Eversors
culexus
Patrol detachment (BA)

I place scouts so I don't get zoned out, then keep 14 drops off the table. I don't really care how you setup except for my characters that start on the table (culexus, mephi, celestine, pskyer) can counter deploy. While you are deploying I set up my DZ with guardsmen keeping the mortars (heavy weapon teams and infantry squads) within 12" of the warlord. The 10 mans go forward to screen, die, and hold objectives. the cyber doggos screen characters or fill holes in my zone for deep strikers.

Going first only really matters if I can get zoned out (so hammer anvil, or angles) otherwise I go second drop all the dudes and charge all the things. Eversors clean up trash like nothing and can tank or tie up big stuff while the other hard hitters go after things that need to die. Having BA stratagems gives mephi and the captain d3 more swings, swings when they die, and swing again after the whole fight phase which can really tear things down.

*checks ebay*

~30 bucks a model, or 15 for old metal models? Pass. Reivers are way cooler looking anyway

:911: :respek::911:

Could you post one of your converted Reaver-Eversors?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I've been painting Death Guard for a friend who has more money than time and I've gotten into a fast base/wash/highlight groove with basic rust and staining on bigger things like vehicles. Unfortunately I've painted very little of my own ork army and it's a weird feeling putting down my piles of grey plastic boys across from a fully painted DG army.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Could you post one of your converted Reaver-Eversors?

Look at literally any reiver with pistol/CCW.

:ssh: I didn't do an ounce of converting, my first idea was using steampunk dwarves from fantasy but I thought "movie marines" so here we are. And the last event I was at literally didn't have another reiver model at it (with 94 people attending). :ssh:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Sssshhhh, I hate painting black. My Deathwatch i'm trying to just to tabletop.

On a single skitarii, I used:

Mephiston Red
Wazdakka Red
Evil Sunz Scarlet
Averland Sunset
Yriel Yellow
Flash Gitz Yellow
Temple Guard Blue
Baharroth Blue
Leadbelcher
Ironbreaker
Runefang Steel
Retributor Armor
Auric Armor Gold
Warplock Bronze
Sycrorax Bronze
Caliban Green
Moot Green
Abaddon Black
Celestra Grey
Ulthuan Grey
White Scar
Eshin Grey
Administratum Grey
Steel Legion Drab
Rakarth Flesh
Pallid Wych Flesh

Then of course the old favorite washes, Nuln Oil & Agrax Earthsade. All on this one dude.

Hence the reason for a simpler standard for my current army, Deathwatch. Although, I did do a little more work on this guy since they're terminators.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Schadenboner posted:

Depends on which army you're interested in? Marines and DGs in the Dark Imperium box.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Depends. Do you wanna play Primaris marines or Death Guard? If so, Dark Imperium.

If not, respective Start Collecting box.

I'm OK with SM and Death Guard, I never painted any DG/Nurgle stuff back when I was playing/collecting (stopped around the time 5th edition came out), so it'll give me a chance to practice some different painting skills at making things look dirty and diseased. I was just curious if they were considered "value for money" sets for the most part.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Celestine
Mephi
Primaris Pskyer
2x10 infantry
3x cyber doggos
3x3 mortar teams
13x Eversors
culexus
Patrol detachment (BA)

Hear that? Those retching noises?

Chapter Approved kind of sealed any hopes I had of bringing a competitive list to Adepticon. I'm beholden to both the GT and Team Tournament at this point. I saw a certain someone already planned on bringing 3 Raptors to the GT, and I just don't have it in me to shell out 300+ pounds to have a shot at placing.

I'm also team captain, so I've volunteered to paint a 3x2 Display Board for our team diorama, which makes my painting time pretty tight. Since the Team Tournament is actually looking to be pretty restricted there wouldn't be a huge overlap between my GT list and TT list making painting even more tight on time.

At this point I might drop from the GT and take my Primaris guys to a more casual event, and save myself the hassle.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Painting speed chat:

I am far from an amazing painter, but I've found that the best way to speed up your painting is to not be so careful with the base coat. Don't worry about getting base coat paint on that wrist guard, or that handsome boi's face or that gun.

Worry more about getting highlights on your base coat, but even then, don't worry about that. The more careful (read: purposeful, not slow) you are layering and highlighting, the more accurate you become at the fine details.

I approach highlight details like I do drawing, just do it. Don't think about how accurate you're trying to be, and paint the line faster. When I say faster, I'm talking spending fractions of a second less time spent thinking about what you're doing. The more you try real hard to create perfectly thin, consistent, and contoured highlights, the more you'll shake, and the faster you'll get frustrated. This applies when base coating and layering.

If anything, spend more time washing. Careful placement of the wash can make a world of difference. They do call it liquid talent, but to get truly stellar results, be purposeful with that poo poo and watch your minis pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm OK with SM and Death Guard, I never painted any DG/Nurgle stuff back when I was playing/collecting (stopped around the time 5th edition came out), so it'll give me a chance to practice some different painting skills at making things look dirty and diseased. I was just curious if they were considered "value for money" sets for the most part.

The 2 easy build starts and Dark Imperium are all good value. I'd just buy whichever is in your budget. Dark Imperium will give you close to 1000 points per side (less now due to Chapter Approved), which is more than sufficient for some starter games.