Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

Doping gently caress

Turn your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DoctorGonzo posted:

Turn your monitor

this just makes the website look sideways - am i doing it wrong?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I didn’t even know there was Euro NASCAR but apparently there is, they run six races a year, five on road courses and one on a half-mile oval in the Netherlands

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 6, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Pirate Radar posted:

I didn’t even know there was Euro NASCAR but apparently there is, they run six races a year, five on road courses and one on a half-mile oval in the Netherlands

There's also Canadian NASCAR

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dude, you don't get it. LOL. I actually don't care. Not any more.

I don't care if someone rates Hulk 6th or 12th - or if I rated him 8th or 9th or whatever after 16 meetings a couple of months ago..

These F1 driver ratings are now irrelevant to my life. I'm not their friend or family member or business associate - so I couldn't care less!

If you *must* have an opinion from yours truly, here it is:

Rating driver performance across cars is totally subjective. I - when I actually remotely cared - felt there was a tight group of 5 Aces in 2017...then a gap to the next tier of 7 or 8 or 9 drivers, any one of whom could beat the others (if they were in a rich vein of form with a package to their liking) or beat the Aces on their days (like BOT out-qualifying HAM 7 times out of 20 legitimately - or Kimi taking pole at Monaco - or Stoff beating Fernando here and there after a rough start as a rookie).

This isn't rocket science! [Although there actually are computer models out there rating VET slightly ahead of HAM and RIC slightly ahead of VER with ALO in the mix and BOT in 12th, etcetera, etcetrea.]

Also, having some arbitrary cut off at 10 - as in "Top 10" - is plain silly. It's a conceit and an artifice which would pervertedly imply that someone rated 11th or 12th or 13th or 14th couldn't possibly beat the guy in 10th or 7th on any number of occasions. And all this petty niggling and snivelling about who is 7th or 9th - or who isn't in the 'top 10' - is pathetically childish, as far as I'm concerned and from where I now stand.

Since I'm already here... :

The FIA rules and regs are dog aweful leading to most 'races' being over after the first corner. The cars, from a visceral point of view, lack/will lack noise and beauty. Most circuits are crap. Todt is a piglet who needs roasting and his Stewards suck.

The element of danger/jeopardy is nonexistent. The drivers are cry babies.

The dominance of the Hybrid Turbo error/era by Merc has been a disaster and the pro-Hamilton bias on SKY and on here over the last four years has been, for me, too much.

F1 is a disaster with declining audiences and it's going to get worse as demographics keep shifting and vehicle technology evolves to becoming fully autonomous in our time.

I want to enjoy life and edit out negativity. F1 is no longer a positive in my life. Other than family, work and going to the gym, I love cars and driving them. I want to get back into horse racing (which I loved first as a kid before Gilles attracted me to Grand Prix racing), possibly buy into a horse racing stable (if I think there's money in it) and get into sim racing.

Also, I feel bad for suggesting Hughes' narratives had a pro-Hamilton bias this season. I actually like Hughes as a person. He's fantastic company, a decent human being and a real gentleman. Truly. So, upon reflection, I *genuinely* feel bad for my negative posts in that regard. I don't know what came over me. But I felt what I felt and it, obviously, wasn't a good feeling. Not good.

I need to stay away from posting here for my own good and the good of these F1 forums. It wasn't great taking a hatchet to Chandhok in the other thread. If I'm going to be like that, then that's not good. Having said that, I wouldn't change the crux of what I said to Chandhok in the post that was moderated out. It was the first of his pieces I had ever posted under, incidentally.

I also wanted to make a jokey comment in the Frankel piece on the UrrAnus SUV and the line about "Let's take the Lambo out" - but I stopped myself. I need a big, long break from MS Online and F1.

Bill, I'm not posting as someone else. I told you, I DON'T want to post anymore. It's just going to end up being a pile of negativity. So, please, I'd rather you not assume X, Y or Z is me. I am the only me. If they ban the Halo (on safety grounds) and change the aero regs, I *might* come back. And if I come back, I hope I come back 'improved' as a member of the forums (instead of being hateful of Todt, the regs, Merc, F1, etc.)

Enjoy your life, Bill. There's more to it than Formula One.

Best wishes to you going forward.

PS

I intend to delete this post within 24 hours - so, once you acknowledge it, it's gone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sir, the question was, is this your handwriting?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

WITNESS ME

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

F1 should give everyone exactly the same car and ban pitstops and different tires, so that only the raw talent makes a difference. That would be awesome and has never been done before, especially not in supporting series where everyone drives exactly the same car on the same tire and no pitstops are happening.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
And races actually happen

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tuo posted:

F1 should give everyone exactly the same car and ban pitstops and different tires, so that only the raw talent makes a difference. That would be awesome and has never been done before, especially not in supporting series where everyone drives exactly the same car on the same tire and no pitstops are happening.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

No refueling and rock-hard tires would be pretty rad imo as long as engines grenade.

Bring back attrition racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

No refueling and rock-hard tires would be pretty rad imo as long as engines grenade.

Don’t

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Minto Took posted:

Barf

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

We do have Le Mans every year for your attrition boner.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bring back qualifying engines.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Attrition is good. I would like teams to have the option to have insanely fast cars that blow up every other race if they wanted to. It makes things more interesting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

We had it this season and Ferrari bitched enough that we don't anymore.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There is no worse racing than attrition racing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

The worst racing is spec racing with cars that never break, which is like 90% of racing these days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Qualifying should have no engines. Teams should be required to build propulsion devices Junkyard Wars-style.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

We had it this season and Ferrari bitched enough that we don't anymore.

You can't have a hybrid formula that involves loving burning oil. Like that's just insanely bad for marketing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*a Renault turbo engine blows up*

wicka: you bitch motherfucker

*a nascar race happens with 40 cars perfectly spaced 1.5 seconds apart for 4 hours, nobody breaks down or crashes*

wicka: this is badass

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

You can't have a hybrid formula that involves loving burning oil. Like that's just insanely bad for marketing.

Imo, you also shouldn't have a racing series that defines itself as the pinnacle of motorsport where you have a limit on how much fuel you can burn during a certain time. Give them a total amount of fuel to burn for a race or a given number of laps, but let them use it however they want. Let them rev high if they want to/think it is benefical to their strategy.

Of course that's just my terrible opinion, but I think it is one of the rules that doesn't fit F1. If I can only burn 100 litres per hour (calculated down to a quarter of a second), and only have to drive three laps in quali, eight litres (or whatever it used to be last year) of oil suddenly become incredibly interesting to burn if you can burn them as you wish.

Fix the cause that is creating these hacks, not only the hacks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

tuo posted:

Imo, you also shouldn't have a racing series that defines itself as the pinnacle of motorsport where you have a limit on how much fuel you can burn during a certain time.

There's no other way you're going to have a turbo engine allowed with this amount of freedom of design. The FIA would be scared to poo poo that the power figures would skyrocket like they did in the 80s. It's the best solution to putting a power cap on a turbo engine that's available within the confines of reality that isn't some really crude blunt instrument.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tuo posted:

Imo, you also shouldn't have a racing series that defines itself as the pinnacle of motorsport where you have a limit on how much fuel you can burn during a certain time. Give them a total amount of fuel to burn for a race or a given number of laps, but let them use it however they want. Let them rev high if they want to/think it is benefical to their strategy.

Of course that's just my terrible opinion, but I think it is one of the rules that doesn't fit F1. If I can only burn 100 litres per hour (calculated down to a quarter of a second), and only have to drive three laps in quali, eight litres (or whatever it used to be last year) of oil suddenly become incredibly interesting to burn if you can burn them as you wish.

Fix the cause that is creating these hacks, not only the hacks.

FIA wants to be able to claim that F1 helps influence car design, somehow. Turbo hybrids are exactly where road cars are going to these days.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Attrition is good. I would like teams to have the option to have insanely fast cars that blow up every other race if they wanted to. It makes things more interesting.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I was hypothetical team boss I'd definitely sacrifice reliability for speed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

If I was hypothetical team boss I'd definitely sacrifice reliability for speed.

The Honda teams for Indy this year did that.

Given they won 7 races this year vs 2 last year with the same aero, it paid off.

And then there's what Honda did for F1 and well we know how that ended up.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

There's no other way you're going to have a turbo engine allowed with this amount of freedom of design. The FIA would be scared to poo poo that the power figures would skyrocket like they did in the 80s. It's the best solution to putting a power cap on a turbo engine that's available within the confines of reality that isn't some really crude blunt instrument.

Out of interest: can't you do the same by limiting the amount of air the engine can suck/turbofuck into it, similarly to how it is done with many BoP series? That's an honest question, because I'm a total idiot when it comes to turbo engines, obviously.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

I would like to change your opinion. Please watch the 1984 Dallas GP. I think it will sell you on attrition racing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wonder what racing is on tv this we...

“FIA world endurance championship
Highlights of the enthralling 2017 world endurance championship a star studded grid included Sebastian Buemi, Anthony Davidson, Kamui Kobayashi and Nicolas Prost

Oh boy oh boy, sign me right up for that one Sky.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kamui Kobayashi owns.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

tuo posted:

Out of interest: can't you do the same by limiting the amount of air the engine can suck/turbofuck into it, similarly to how it is done with many BoP series? That's an honest question, because I'm a total idiot when it comes to turbo engines, obviously.

You would need a blow off valve as well. It's a fairly crude solution that limits what you can play with in terms of the turbo system though.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Human Grand Prix posted:

Kamui Kobayashi owns.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Attrition racing is an incredibly dumb attempt at solving bad racing.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport!*

*may include arbitrary constraints to slow down cars, randomly enforced rules, multiple tire choices which are all bad, whiny bitch drivers, cheating, distinct advantages for some teams, inflexible rules ensuring other teams can't catch up, and Poois Shamilton.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

Kamui Kobayashi owns.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

You would need a blow off valve as well. It's a fairly crude solution that limits what you can play with in terms of the turbo system though.

I would also think the very clever engineers would find a way to make big power even with those restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

*a nascar race happens with 40 cars perfectly spaced 1.5 seconds apart for 4 hours, nobody breaks down or crashes*

Feels Villeneuve: instead of trying to make this better we should just turn it into a lottery

• Locked thread