Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coucho Marx posted:

This reminds me of an episode of Doomsday Preppers (of the maybe six episodes I've seen?). There was a family who lived in a pretty rural area (I think they always had) who, instead of stocking up on shitloads of guns or whatever, just grew loads of fruit and vegetables in a large garden/small farm, and kept chickens and some other livestock. One of them basically said "well, if World War 3 never comes, who cares, we have a very healthy diet and spend basically nothing on food, so win/win!".

Doomsday Preppers owns and is a great source of schadenfreude.
https://youtu.be/wHOog45llUU

Also they had an Orthodox Jew from Pittsburgh on there once who followed up with a message that he had returned to Israel because America was in too much danger of a terrorist attack :shepface:

Edit: goddammit I missed like three posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That clip really deserves to be posted in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOog45llUU

Yeah. Those are the people who are going to survive the collapse and save humanity.

[sniffle] I think I have to [sniffle] let you go, dude. I'm sorry, dude. [sniffle] I have to let you go, dude. [sniffle]
All said in a barely-audible squeak.

Two minutes later: OK, dude. I'll give you another chance, but there need to be some rules.

Rule 1: When some guy repeatedly tells you he's about to take a shot, then un-ironically says, "fire in the hole," make sure you have proper ear protection.

Edit: All "dude"s spoken by a guy pushing 50 from one side or the other.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've got to say, though, as a non-American, that it's pretty perplexing to me that Pelosi is still in charge. Ignore her actual positions for a moment (I'm of the opinion that a representative's constituents should take priority over their national responsibilities except when said representative is in a position, as Pelosi is, of national leadership) and imagine some scenario in which she's the most left-wing representative in the House with exactly the same leadership record. She has presided over something like three straight congressional terms of consistent decline for her party at this point. In most other countries, the knives would've been out for her long ago.

Disclaimer: I'm prepared to allow that this assessment of the situation is down to my ignorance of American politics.

She has an iron grip on her caucus and that is very important right now to block whatever Paul Ryan's death cult comes up with, even moreso when Dems win seats in 2018 and the margin gets closer. That kind of iron grip can take decades know learn how to exploit everyone's hopes and dreams and fears so that you can use them as leverage, and doesn't transfer easily to whoever takes over for her.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yeah. Those are the people who are going to survive the collapse and save humanity.

[sniffle] I think I have to [sniffle] let you go, dude. I'm sorry, dude. [sniffle] I have to let you go, dude. [sniffle]
All said in a barely-audible squeak.

Two minutes later: OK, dude. I'll give you another chance, but there need to be some rules.

Rule 1: When some guy repeatedly tells you he's about to take a shot, then un-ironically says, "fire in the hole," make sure you have proper ear protection.

Edit: All "dude"s spoken by a guy pushing 50 from one side or the other.

He was wearing ear protection, but he was also standing in the exhaust-line from the muzzle break.. in an enclosed structure... because these guys are idiots.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kurieg posted:

He was wearing ear protection, but he was also standing in the exhaust-line from the muzzle break.. in an enclosed structure... because these guys are idiots.

He had his ear protection off, held to the side in one hand. He covers his ear with his free hand just before the shot.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kurieg posted:

these guys are idiots.

Preppers.txt

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Captain Monkey posted:

He had his ear protection off, held to the side in one hand. He covers his ear with his free hand just before the shot.

Welp. He was wearing it in the previous shot.

Kurieg posted:

these guys are massive idiots.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

baw posted:

She has an iron grip on her caucus and that is very important right now to block whatever Paul Ryan's death cult comes up with, even moreso when Dems win seats in 2018 and the margin gets closer. That kind of iron grip can take decades know learn how to exploit everyone's hopes and dreams and fears so that you can use them as leverage, and doesn't transfer easily to whoever takes over for her.

I suppose my problem is that I'm looking at the US Congress like it's the British parliament, which I'm more familiar with, when they're too difficult for a direct comparison to work.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
If we're talking about Doomsday Prepper idiots, I've always been partial to this one. I don't know if there's a video of the actual shot but the aftermath is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qth1k962_9A

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
lmao, these loving mall ninja out there shooting their thumbs off

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

"It was one of those malfunctions... my thumb went in front of the barrel, and it went off."

how in the gently caress :laffo:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Man, for liking guns so much they are really bad at basic gun safety. It's almost like they don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ElGroucho posted:

lmao, these loving mall ninja out there shooting their thumbs off

Oh yeah, I have one of those at work, he's large enough that I'd say he counts as a side of a barn, but he loving loves talking about his guns and needing them to protect himself from the government.

Kids, don't play GI Joes with real guns.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Former DILF posted:

mint some paper thin coinage like the byzantine emperors and you could probably actually get by if you only ever bought stuff from other survivalist weirdos

You'll be the one sorry when I'm striding the wasteland on my giant mechanical throne

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Goon Danton posted:

"It was one of those malfunctions... my thumb went in front of the barrel, and it went off."

how in the gently caress :laffo:

which gun was he using lol

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That clip really deserves to be posted in this thread

NatGeo blocked the video in my lovely-rear end country. Isn't there a mirror? :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, that's the stupid part. He was actively in a shooting session and was like "Waaahhh, my ears hurt from these earmuffs!" and took it off.

And now they really hurt.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, that's the stupid part. He was actively in a shooting session and was like "Waaahhh, my ears hurt from these earmuffs!" and took it off.

And now they really hurt.

hell i use my ears for mowing the lawn, what a big baby

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Man, for liking guns so much they are really bad at basic gun safety. It's almost like they don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

He should have studied the blade.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Judging from the damage and the guns he was seen shooting, probably a .22.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sneakyfrog posted:

hell i use my ears for mowing the lawn, what a big baby

I use earmuffs for mowing the lawn as well.

Probably will end up using them for snowblowing this year, and I sure as hell take them to the track when I'm spectating.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I hope for his sake it was the little pistol, because at least then I can picture how he could put his thumb in front of the muzzle by accident.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh yeah, I have one of those at work, he's large enough that I'd say he counts as a side of a barn, but he loving loves talking about his guns and needing them to protect himself from the government.

Kids, don't play GI Joes with real guns.

Can one of you help me dig up that video where on of these weenies starts crying after someone shoots a gun near their ear?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Can one of you help me dig up that video where on of these weenies starts crying after someone shoots a gun near their ear?

Crying and puking :eng101:

Ravenfood posted:

Its pretty great, because the video keeps talking unironically about how badass and prepared they are while he's getting checked by a set medic and crying.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Its been posted maybe three times in this or the last page, but its really good so here have a 4th. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOog45llUU

Video of prepper dumbass crying because he doesn't know how to use ear protection or talk to his friend while narrators desperately try to convince you that these folks are hardass professionals.

efb, and by my own quote no less.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Top of this page

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Turns out Trump was the subject of TIME's Person of the Year

Not the way he expected, tho

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/938389254589288448

quote:

Discussions of sexual harassment in polite company tend to rely on euphemisms: harassment becomes "inappropriate behavior," assault becomes ­"misconduct," rape becomes "abuse." We're accustomed to hearing those softened words, which downplay the pain of the experience. That's one of the reasons why the Access Hollywood tape that surfaced in October 2016 was such a jolt. The language used by the man who would become America's 45th President, captured on a 2005 recording, was, by any standard, vulgar. He didn't just say that he'd made a pass; he "moved on her like a bitch." He didn't just talk about fondling women; he bragged that he could "grab 'em by the pussy."

That Donald Trump could express himself that way and still be elected President is part of what stoked the rage that fueled the Women's March the day after his Inauguration. It's why women seized on that crude word as the emblem of the protest that dwarfed Trump's Inauguration crowd size. "All social movements have highly visible precipitating factors," says Aldon Morris, a professor of sociology at Northwestern University. "In this case, you had Harvey Weinstein, and before that you had Trump."

Megyn Kelly, the NBC anchor who revealed in October that she had complained to Fox News executives about Bill O'Reilly's treatment of women, and who was a target of Trump's ire during the campaign, says the tape as well as the tenor of the election turned the political into the personal. "I have real doubts about whether we'd be going through this if Hillary Clinton had won, because I think that President Trump's election in many ways was a setback for women," says Kelly, who noted that not all women at the march were Clinton supporters. "But the overall message to us was that we don't really matter."

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Dec 6, 2017

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

burexas.irom posted:

:eyepop:

The buttcoin derail is as awful as usual, but this gem almost makes it worth it.

Well, how about Nicehash?

quote:

$60M in Bitcoin from users wallets transferred to a single wallet. With no communication whatsoever from NH we are left with the sobering reality they were hacked and $60M worth of users (both buyers and sellers) Bitcoin was stolen.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
"hacked" with "no communication". Standard bitcoin exchange taking the cash and vanishing.

How many are even left?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samuringa posted:

Turns out Trump was the subject of TIME's Person of the Year

Not the way he expected, tho

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/938389254589288448

But hey, at least Trump's tweets made it into Twitter's official list of 2017's top tweets. He got three of the top 10 most retweeted and two of the 10 most “liked" tweets.

/aide whispers in ear

I'm sorry, I've just been informed that it was in fact a different president who achieved that and Trump completely missed out. But he was the subject of one of the top tweets:
https://twitter.com/KingJames/statu...-at-retweets%2F

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Dec 6, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gschmidl posted:

Well, how about Nicehash?
Lol I installed Nice hash last week just to see how it would do on my ancient hardware, and mined like $0.3 worth of buttcoins. They seem to be gone now :v:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

This was made a few years ago but it's still an incredibly realistic simulator of the bitcoin experience.

http://bitsim.beepboopbitcoin.com/

(Stick with it until the end, when you see the words "you've won". It's worth it.)

the schad must be on me because nothing's happening after I eat the food and I seem to be stuck?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

the schad must be on me because nothing's happening after I eat the food and I seem to be stuck?

You can't move around?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

You can't move around?

I can go places but I can't seem to do anything to advance after I eat the pork

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

SubponticatePoster posted:

There is always someone next in line, and after VP they start going to members of Congress. If the POTUS/VP are removed at the same time then it goes to Speaker of the House (currently shithead Ryan), then to Pro Tempore of the Senate (currently shithead Hatch) and further on down. I suppose if a meteor struck the Capitol while Trump was giving the State of the Union and wiped out every single serving Rep and Senator we'd be in a bit of a pickle, but mostly from having to replace all those people at once.

e beaten by charts

e 2 I hosed up after SotH/PPT it goes to cabinet members which in this administration is even worse

A man can dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSyQvrb-caQ

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

In the slow-mo shot of the first guy firing, he closes his eyes right before/as he pulls the trigger. I haven't shot a rifle in 20 years but that doesn't sound like proper training/skill to me.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Jummy posted:

If we're talking about Doomsday Prepper idiots, I've always been partial to this one. I don't know if there's a video of the actual shot but the aftermath is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qth1k962_9A
That is probably my favorite episode from that show, he is also the guy who hangs a pig carcass in his suburban front yard and practices hacking away at it with the "crovel" survival tool he invented (and appears to now sell for $200).

However, a close second for me is this 300lb dude who thinks his homemade suit of armor will make him "the apex predator" of Tacoma, WA after the fall of civilization, and he'll just take all the other preppers' poo poo. Of course it features his buddy (sort of) shooting him with a 12ga while wearing the armor. Bonus points for the "judges'" advice on his preparations being "Stop being part of the problem."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3PQJ9PHLY

That show was pretty entertaining in the beginning, they found some people with some interesting delusions and prepper setups: the hippie prepper who learned to identify and eat weeds to survive around LAs hellscape without stockpiling anything, the woman who makes her entire extended family eat Thanksgiving dinner as dress rehearsal for the inevitable disease outbreak (complete with surgical everything, plastic curtains, and quarantining guests who show up late). It's a terrible show but I was hopelessly addicted to it for a while.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
A bit late to the buttcoin discussion but Steam will not be accepting Bitcoins as payment anymore

Also check out the comments for people suggesting a dozen other alternative cryptocurrencies while completely missing the point.

edit: should've refreshed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

U-DO Burger posted:

I can go places but I can't seem to do anything to advance after I eat the pork

Here's what to do.

>go east

BitHole
This is a homeless shelter kitchen of some sort. There's a sign on the wall that says "BitHole" and some other stuff. You can wait in line here to get some food.

You feel a little dizzy.

>sit
(on no bitcoins)
That's not something you can sit down on.

You're very dizzy.

>wait in line
You already got some food.

You stumble, catch yourself, then fall over. You may have blacked out for a moment. You try to stand up. You get more dizzy. You vomit. Blood. It appears to be green. You think about this. It doesn't make sense, then it does. You have obviously turned into some kind of bitcoin supermutant. This worries you for a moment. Then you realise it means you're the next stage of human evolution. You're the world's first digital cryptohuman. You're the blockchain made flesh. You're the incarnation of Satoshi's collective unconscious. You're not sure about the last part, but you like the way it sounds. You are now in control.

Formless Void
Everything is shrouded in a misty haze. Shapes in the distance fade in and out of focus. Everything is made of shadows and flickers of light.

You can see a Tax Collector here.

>eat tax collector
You bite into the tax collector. You'll spread your digital cryptomutation to all the tax collectors. As you sink your teeth into his flesh, there's a swirl of activity around you. There is noise from the shadows. You find yourself on the ground. The tax collector seems to have vanished. You're not sure what has happened. Perhaps your mutant superpowers disintegrated him. You stand.

Shapeless Void
Everything is shrouded in a hazy mist. Distances seem to expand and contract, pulsing. Shifting lights and shadows are everywhere.

You can see a Government Regulator here.

>eat government regulator
You rip into the regulator's flesh with your teeth. He smells of stale sweat and leaves. You can feel the warm rush of digital cryptocurrency flowing through your mouth. The mathematical perfection of Satoshi's vision is enunciated in every bite mark. In the incoherent sounds of fear and anger of every government regulator who has ever tried to control what he couldn't possibly understand. The blood on your face is change. The body at your feet is revolution. The body is on the ground. You are on the ground. You do not know why you are on the ground. The government regulator is gone. You are standing.

Digital Cryptovoid
Everything is shrouded in peer-to-peer mist. Military-grade cryptography prevents the distances from double spending. The shadows are distributed and anonymous. Chargebacks are impossible. Impossible.

You can see a Washington Fatcat here.

>eat washington fatcat
Your bite is a consumation. You scream a series of ones and zeros into the wound in the fatcat's flesh. You are the digital future made flesh. You go to encounter for the twenty-one millionth time the reality of cryptocurrency and to mine in the ASIC of your soul the uncreated market forces of the blockchain. You...you have no transaction fees. None. You howl at the sky, defying anyone, anything to reverse this transaction.

You are suddenly surrounded by activity. You can't follow it all. You feel as if you're floating. You feel as if you're tumbling down. You feel the world shifting around you. This must be one of your powers.

After a time you realise you're alone. You feel as though the world has telescoped down to a warm, soft circle around you. In time you come to realise that this means you've liberated the whole world. Everyone must now be part of the bitcoin network. Everyone is connected. Fiat is dead. Digital cryptocurrencies, whatever they are, have triumphed. As you come to this realisation you lean your forehead against one warm soft wall and laugh until tears flow down your face. You've won. You've won. You've won.