Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, off the top of my head we've got: Sera, Damon, Chloe and Rachel's involvement in starting the fire being revealed somehow, Eliot if that one article is to be believed, and maybe some kind of explanation regarding the raven's purpose (it's possible that it could literally be William but the quote from the first episode regarding how "the raven is to be respected, never trusted" makes me a bit unsure).

That's a lot of ground to cover in a game that's maybe going to be about 3-4 hours long at most (they probably could have done a little more in the previous episodes to take a bit of the pressure off, especially involving Sera). Though I suppose a few of the above points could be merged together somehow if they really wanted to. It's going to be interesting to see how they manage to wrap this up.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wouldn't be surprised if Sera and Damon are grouped together for a resolution.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bobjr posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sera and Damon are grouped together for a resolution.

We already know they're involved with each other thanks to the file in Rachel's house and the fact that Sera knows Frank, so that's the most likely option. While she might not be all that bad (she did come to see her daughter's play after all) based on what we know I don't think Sera is that great a person nor is it likely that she'll still be around by the end of the game.

As I've said before, if you really want to bring Eliot into this you could have him working for Damon in some capacity like Drew was (not sure how else to do it as we don't really have any reason to go back to Blackwell in Episode 3, yet at least). Chloe then sees something she shouldn't have and things go downhill from there (she does seem pretty desperate to get away from something or someone in the little teaser at the end of Episode 2 after all). The other two points can resolve themselves naturally as the story goes on (it's basically a given that we're getting at least one more dream sequence before this is over).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 30, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Since we're making predictions,

The Sera bombshell is going to derail the plans to leave town. It'll probably pick up the next day with Chloe musing about things in the junkyard again. She'll meet up with Rachel who now wants to find Sera. Frank seems to be the obvious starting point and possibly introduce him and Rachel to each other.

Either way, the path to Sera leads to Damon and he'll have questions about the fire.

I doubt we're going to see the Blackwell students or Chloe's family in any big capacity. The story is going to have to keep a laser focus if it's going to wrap up in one more episode

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
Hannah and Ashly are returning for the Farewell episode!

As much as I think the new actress is doing a great job, I am glad that we get to say goodbye to these characters as we remember them, and that the actresses get a chance to do so as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LoseHound posted:

As much as I think the new actress is doing a great job, I am glad that we get to say goodbye to these characters as we remember them, and that the actresses get a chance to do so as well.

Wowser!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LoseHound posted:

Great news! I'll admit now that Rihanna DeVries wound up being a decent substitute but it'll be great to have the originals back for one last ride (especially since we're probably not coming back to these characters for a while after BtS wraps). I'm curious if Joyce's original actress will return as well but to be honest there isn't really a huge amount of difference between the two that I can notice.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 30, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Now we're ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah.

Also, it seems to support the Dec 7 release speculation if they're putting the final polish on Ep 3.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Canemacar posted:

Now we're ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah.

Also, it seems to support the Dec 7 release speculation if they're putting the final polish on Ep 3.

Uhhhh not really, it needs to pass through cert on top of being finished.

I'm gonna guess it will be the 14th or 21st.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Uhhhh not really, it needs to pass through cert on top of being finished.

I'm gonna guess it will be the 14th or 21st.

Since they said early 2018 for the bonus chapter we at least know that BtS proper will be wrapping up some time in December at any rate.

But yeah, episode 3 needs to pretty much pick up immediately where Brand New World left off either with Chloe mulling things over in the junkyard or James explaining what's going on. The achievement list seems to suggest we'll be visiting Mikey/Drew in the hospital so we'll probably wind up saying our goodbyes to them and Steph there. The rest of the game needs to be exclusively focused on trying to wrap up this story neatly (probably with at least one more raven-induced dream for Chloe to tie things off, not sure if we're going to get something as involved as the Nightmare from the last game though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 30, 2017

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
:unsmith:

Ashley and Hannah coming back is awesome news.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

LoseHound posted:

This is the best news.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't think I could have handled anybody but Hannah as Max. I was replaying some of the original series and that part in Episode 2 where Max says "I know God has big plans for you" to Kate gets me every drat time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Chloe's new actress had been growing on me. She had this tone down of "Everything is utterly and completely hosed"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Chloe's new actress had been growing on me. She had this tone down of "Everything is utterly and completely hosed"

I like the sense of awkwardness she brings to the role (stuttering, awkward pauses, etc.) though she's probably the most like the Burch version whenever she gets really pissed (she's pretty decent at improv too, if you read the text behind the board in the Drama Club she does a near pitch-perfect Victoria impression). The original voice still had a bit more bite to it in my opinion but the BtS version is a perfectly fine substitute.

So was there a reason why Taylor was completely scrubbed from the game yet her actress is still credited? Also, how much of the soundtrack still hasn't been used in the game proper (besides Numbers from the initial trailer but that still sounds more like ending song material to me)?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Someone posted the unused backtalk challenge on Youtube. My guess: They cut it because it was bad and didn't contribute anything to the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUWs68P0k4

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So nice seeing our gals back together. :unsmith:

Didn't realise that Hannah Telle was such a Max IRL. (1:47)

edit: oh god a new Stupid Newbie avatar no

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LoseHound posted:

Well, I'll buy BtS just for this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Well, I'll buy BtS just for this.

Eh, the new cast does fine and the game's been good so far regardless. Only real complaint is that they could have done a better job pacing the story out so they didn't basically have to cram everything into the finale.

Based on the sample dialogue in the interview it will be nice to actually see Chloe happy for the majority of a Life is Strange episode. Not sure if there will be any other characters involved besides Max and Chloe though (given the time period the only ones that would really make sense are Joyce and maybe Max's parents).

With Brand New World releasing about 8 weeks after Awake I'd expect Hell is Empty to drop around the 14th (21st at the latest) with Farewell following in early February, maybe earlier if they're already recording dialogue for it. Since they've got Burch back in the drivers seat for the bonus episode it'd be nice (if somewhat unlikely) if she recorded a few lines for Episode 3 as well (to be used in either a dream sequence or a flash forward at the very end).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 4, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/937735774031585281

Next week, teaser/trailer within the next couple days seems like.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/937735774031585281

Next week, teaser/trailer within the next couple days seems like.

Makes sense given the timetable, which means we can probably expect the bonus episode some time in early February.

While the return of Ashly Burch and Hannah Telle for the bonus episode is awesome I'm actually looking forward to this one a whole lot more if only to see how/if they manage to wrap all this up neatly and how far they plan to go with the ending(s).

It's probably going to be much darker in tone than the previous two as well (I'll be surprised if we get through this game without at least one death).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 4, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yessss, out in time for me to play it before I head home for Christmas.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Son of a bitch, I just bought BTS Deluxe and for some reason thought all three episodes were already out and now I'm stuck on the Ep2 cliffhanger like a sap. Dec 7-14 get here already!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Are you ready... for the teaser... to the trailer?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ss-wzyHlE

Let us relentlessly analyze these 10 seconds of nothing for the next 24 hours.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Are you ready... for the teaser... to the trailer?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ss-wzyHlE

Let us relentlessly analyze these 10 seconds of nothing for the next 24 hours.

lol chloe dying her hair is so cheap

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Actually those blue streaks at the age of sixteen are canonically accurate if you go by the timewarp photos from season one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So last time Chloe got her truck, beanie, and started using the world "hella" and now we've got the beginnings of blue hair. At this rate Chloe will have fully morphed into her Season 1 persona by the end of the game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like this Chloe more than Season 1 Chloe though.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ugh, of course ridiculous cartoon evil guy Damon has a ridiculous oversized, TF2-looking, half-bowie, half-kabar cartoon knife.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Larryb posted:

So last time Chloe got her truck, beanie, and started using the world "hella" and now we've got the beginnings of blue hair. At this rate Chloe will have fully morphed into her Season 1 persona by the end of the game.

From what I've seen of Rachel so far, it kind of makes sense that their relationship might stunt Chloe's growth a bit as a person for the next few years. The writers hinted in at least one interview that Rachel may not be good for Chloe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

From what I've seen of Rachel so far, it kind of makes sense that their relationship might stunt Chloe's growth a bit as a person for the next few years. The writers hinted in at least one interview that Rachel may not be good for Chloe.

In my opinion I see their relationship as sort of a double-edged sword. On one hand, Rachel did basically save Chloe's life in more ways than one and probably does actually care about her on some level, just not in the way Chloe wants/needs her to. Remember, Rachel basically has the mindset of a child and can't really see past her own nose when it comes to expressing her desires. I don't think there's anything intentionally malicious about it (well aside from drugging Victoria so she could steal back her role in the play that is), she just doesn't understand how her behavior could wind up hurting others.

But on the other hand, Rachel's influence is also causing Chloe to slip further into the hole she's created for herself to the point where by season 1 she's basically become Rachel's clone (as far as attitude and mannerisms go at least) and, if you believe the theory that Rachel at least indirectly caused the storm, becomes the unwitting instrument of Rachel's revenge following her death (I don't think it was a coincidence on the part of the writers that they were cast as Ariel and Prospero in the play after all). In a sense, Chloe has basically spent the last 5 years of her life as a puppet, inescapably bound to her past, Rachel, and the raven's will.

Then later Max comes back and Chloe finally finds a person that loves her so unconditionally that they're willing to sabotage their own life and happiness just to keep her safe (though if you think about it, in a sense Chloe was kind of leading Max down the same path Rachel did for her). This is so baffling to Chloe that it's enough to finally snap her out of it and make one final act of penance in order to stop what she helped start and end the cycle for good (we see a few glimpses of that altruistic side of her in BtS as well, it's just kind of buried down at that point). So in some way you could say the "greater beauty" the raven mentioned was actually Chloe herself, as she's the one who ultimately pulls them both back from the brink, pacifying Rachel's spirit in the process.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 6, 2017

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

That seems like a pretty good interpretation. I definitely don’t see Rachel as malicious, she’s just a teenager who’s able to get almost anything she wants from people, which is pretty much a recipe for hurtful behavior no matter how good her intentions are. I agree that Chloe really needs her right now, but she doesn’t seem to need Chloe nearly as much and that imbalance could become a bit of an emotional prison for Chloe.

Anyway I am HELLA excited about the coming episode. I binged LiS and BtS over Thanksgiving because of the Steam sale and I’m totally hooked on this stuff now. I’ve only ever gotten into 4X strategy and simulation games before and now I’m shipping characters and looking at fan sites.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first time I finished Life is Strange I was in a daze for weeks where I couldn't concentrate on anything else except mentally reliving every moment from the game. Much later I found out this was such a common phenomenon that the fan community has its own term for it, Post Life Is Strange Disorder (PLiSD). It's real, folks! I don't think BtS will have quite the same effect because I don't foresee any way they could make the ending as emotionally devastating as the first, but who knows!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The first time I finished Life is Strange I was in a daze for weeks where I couldn't concentrate on anything else except mentally reliving every moment from the game. Much later I found out this was such a common phenomenon that the fan community has its own term for it, Post Life Is Strange Disorder (PLiSD). It's real, folks! I don't think BtS will have quite the same effect because I don't foresee any way they could make the ending as emotionally devastating as the first, but who knows!

Yeah, I'm curious how they're going to handle the ending(s) to this game. Any kind of happy ending is going to become bittersweet just by having knowledge of the first game but nothing too devastating can happen either as we know Chloe and Rachel are still together for another 2 years afterward. Not to mention the fact that both endings (assuming there are still only two) will have to be able to link up with the first game in some capacity.

At the very least we know their plans to leave Arcadia Bay are obviously going to be derailed, and Damon, Sera, and possibly Eliot depending on what they decide to do with him are most likely going to be dead or carted off to prison by the end of the game (or at best, they skip town and never come back).

I still don't think Sera is going to wind up being that great a person (I wouldn't be surprised if she was basically just all of Rachel's worst traits magnified). At best she might have been looking for a way out of Damon's drug ring and that's partially why she was meeting with James. She might still care about her daughter a bit though (she did come to watch the play after all and kind of seems to be following Rachel and Chloe around).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 6, 2017

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

I think having 2 episodes of BtS ready to dive right into with another on the way helped take the edge off for me a little. LiS was extremely satisfying, emotionally, and helped clear up a bit of depression I’d been stuck in, so I’m happy to let this game turn me extremely gay or whatever happens next.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's probably less of an emotional rollercoaster to play Life is Strange now that there's a prequel out because you know it's not the end. The original season unfolded over the course of 10 months and when it was over I was pretty certain that was it, forever.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
I think the existence of BtS makes LiS more interesting. In addition to changing the way I see the ending, the game brings out more of Rachel's character. In the original, Max and Rachel were likened to a photographer and model, and BtS completes that. Max avoids attention, but loves to snoop and watch. Rachel loves attention and is capable of playing whatever role she needs to get what she wants. Their concern for their own comfort is what makes them hurt Chloe. Max abandons Chloe when it becomes to uncomfortable to keep in contact. Rachel is better at showing she cares, but still manipulates and lies to Chloe. Max fails to act, and Rachel fails to stop herself from doing so.

If you ask her to run away during the play and then act hesitant on the street, Rachel drops her cool for a second and acts betrayed. She's not used to not getting what she wants, and she has no trouble busting things up and throwing supernatural tantrums to make a point. Rachel definitely has a bit of a childish streak.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/938460532507471872

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Random shot of a needle and a lighter. That can't be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If Chloe is the storm personified then Rachel is fire personified (wild, uncontrollable, and wants everything for itself). Rachel is an actress, both on and off the stage, changing her persona at will to fit into her current situation but if something doesn't go her way the mask drops and she lashes out like a wild animal.

Chloe either doesn't see or willfully chooses to ignore these signs and, as per the raven's warning, ultimately winds up getting burned as a result. But I still don't think Rachel is an (intentionally) bad person at heart, it's just that due to her upbringing she seems to prefer living in a fantasy world she created rather than accept reality, which will of course come back to bite her later down the road (or even sooner than that judging by the most recent trailer).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 6, 2017

• Locked thread