Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Yoshi Wins posted:

Uh, so, I’ve played about a hundred games now, and I’m looking to expand my hero selection a bit. I’ve been playing a lot of Axe and Sniper with a little bit of Abaddon. Any suggestions that will help me avoid not having a good pick available? (Axe and Sniper are both banned often.)

I’m thinking about picking up Vengeful Spirit, who I understand is supposed to be pretty straightforward.

Underlord is really easy, really good, and really uncommonly banned or picked.

If you have to play support, Shadow Shaman and Crystal Maiden are reliable and straightforward as well. Some people find CM boring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, also, does anyone know if the videos on this Youtube channel are legit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpuVlVmioj8

It's hard for me to tell because I'm new to the game, but most of the videos on this channel seem to be played at a pretty high level. But then I've started watching a few that seem strangely unskilled. I haven't been able to find any info about where these replays are coming from. There's nothing on the channel's About page that helps.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yoshi Wins posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, also, does anyone know if the videos on this Youtube channel are legit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpuVlVmioj8

It's hard for me to tell because I'm new to the game, but most of the videos on this channel seem to be played at a pretty high level. But then I've started watching a few that seem strangely unskilled. I haven't been able to find any info about where these replays are coming from. There's nothing on the channel's About page that helps.

They're 'pro' pub games yea. I think they just scrape pro players games and post any popular player's games that have high kills

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah, they usually feature high skill player perspectives while they're stacking with some anchors so they just steamroll...on the other hand, I'm sure miracle makes his pubs look silly whether he's in party or solo.

Watch all of the purge teaching day9 vods and then realize you're probably worse off than when you started because that game is gone now and it's purge. I like the "Only Way To Play" guides too, though the guy is kind obviously just targeting YouTube ad delivery timers with his length/pace.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Shadow shaman has like 20-30 too much attack damage at the moment and has a bunch of ways to break a linkens, so I heartily recommend trying them as a support. Venge does own, though.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
While we're talking about legit Youtube channels, here are a couple of really good ones I've found this past year:

This guy has a long-running "Things I learned from watching pro replays" series where he lists point-by-point the little things that pro players do differently from everybody else. It's really good.

Remember that Juice guy on the PlayDota forums who brought an account from like 1k MMR all the way up to 5k MMR or whatever? Well this guy is doing the same thing, except he posts Youtube videos with live commentary about his games so that you can see his thought process as he drags his team, kicking and screaming, to get those 25 MMR points. I remember him saying that his videos about being low 2K and low 3K are where the toxicity was at its absolute highest levels.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Lich owns and is basically idiot-proof as far as supports go. Eat your ranged creep, press Q on enemy hero when they aren't in the middle of a creep wave, spam armor on everyone. If teamfight (or 2 enemies ganking you outside lane) press R, allow lady luck to perform skill plays for you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Play Bane. Sink or swim supporting. :getin:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Neurolimal posted:

Lich owns and is basically idiot-proof as far as supports go. Eat your ranged creep, press Q on enemy hero when they aren't in the middle of a creep wave, spam armor on everyone. If teamfight (or 2 enemies ganking you outside lane) press R, allow lady luck to perform skill plays for you.

same with ogre basically. plus you get to run up on people for the first couple minutes and bonk them because you're way too tanky early on.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

While we're talking about legit Youtube channels, here are a couple of really good ones I've found this past year:

This guy has a long-running "Things I learned from watching pro replays" series where he lists point-by-point the little things that pro players do differently from everybody else. It's really good.

Remember that Juice guy on the PlayDota forums who brought an account from like 1k MMR all the way up to 5k MMR or whatever? Well this guy is doing the same thing, except he posts Youtube videos with live commentary about his games so that you can see his thought process as he drags his team, kicking and screaming, to get those 25 MMR points. I remember him saying that his videos about being low 2K and low 3K are where the toxicity was at its absolute highest levels.

Nice my dude

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

i wish Amaterasu from the great game Okami was not being submitted as a new courier but actually as a new hero, it would be a good hero, and i want to play the hero that just barks, and there's like so many abilities and mechanics you could do

it would be a terrible precedent but i would love an amaterasu hero...

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ambivalent posted:

i wish Amaterasu from the great game Okami was not being submitted as a new courier but actually as a new hero, it would be a good hero, and i want to play the hero that just barks, and there's like so many abilities and mechanics you could do

Well there's always Gemini from HoN.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Ambivalent posted:

league of legend's cup runneth over w/ dog champs

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

This one is pretty good. I watched this Lion video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAmLYWQkyIU&t=11s

He raged pretty often, but he definitely helped me understand how a good Lion player thinks when a gank or team fight is brewing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ambivalent posted:

His ultimate is The Good Boye

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Ambivalent posted:

I mean, we already have noted mtg character Leshrac, Lina Inverse from Slayers, and Kimahri. We're so close already..

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Which arts game has the best son goku. The dota one is pretty good, the league one was fun but samey, and I never played hon bc my brain never got THAT bad

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
HoN goku was pretty eh. He had a bunch of mobility skills that combo'd off each other ala Pebbles/Tiny's skills, but he got macro'd drat near instantly so most people who played him had a 'press me to convert cooldowns into dead enemy" button.

Smite's original Goku was pretty fun since he just threw monkeys and feared everyone, then he was changed into a different god because they wanted to make a more 'badass' wukong. That one had variable transforming (aim far to turn into fast harmless birb, mid to turn into a tiger and stun-nuke someone, close to turn into a bull and knock everything around), other two skills were basic pole swinging, ult makes him become stealthed, invuln and healing in the sky while a fake wukong (with significant damage) fought. He's only revealed after you killed the fake.

E: not literally wukong but Vainglory has a monkeyman named Ozo, most of his skills are meh but he has one that lets him jump around on three different targets (with increasing damage after each successful leap), and a talent that reset the skills cooldown if you got all three leaps off. So a crystal-build Ozo just jumps on everyones heads the entire fight.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 6, 2017

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Chucat posted:

It's this imo

Dota 2 is an advertising platform to sell you hats and cosmetics made up of half a million particles with a 45 minute shitshow attached.

any f2p game is this some variation of this, and increasingly the p2p games are too

I wrote a big tryhard thing but gently caress it, basically Dota's really old and it's impressive that it's lasted 10+ years when most frustrating, complex, difficult games fade to a few thousand players in that time (RTS games, arena FPS games, Melee and kind of the whole FGC). It's far from dead with 800k peaks and this thread is a terrible metric of its quality/popularity. Valve fucks up but so do the devs of every other gigantic game. Play it if you have fun playing it. Namaste

(The two major possible improvements are a tribunal with long-term bans and a role queue, which would not be a disaster despite what people think. Draft stays the same you just promise to play a certain role. After maybe a couple weeks of bullshit people will start picking what they need to pick to win. There's no convincing case for concede and there's no solution to the language barrier)

e: turboraton is right

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 6, 2017

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Bullshit, Dota2 is a good game at core, that's why it is still rising on other regions. Older regions are just like this forum in general, full of guys who have grown out of the game but refuse to stop bitching about it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
JPJ, consistently muted in the games and in the forums

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

turboraton posted:

Bullshit, Dota2 is a good game at core, that's why it is still rising on other regions. Older regions are just like this forum in general, full of guys who have grown out of the game but refuse to stop bitching about it.

Actually I haven't grown up at all I'm still the same dota-loving manchild at heart :ohdear:

I just feel the game's only changed for the worse ever since they decided that balancing and making it stategically deep wasn't a worthwhile pursuit and it was much better to make massive sweeping changes to keep the playerbase interested. I was able to deal with it for a while but as these changes got bigger and bigger the game eventually stopped feeling like dota to me and I gave up on it.

Then I overcame depression, lost a lot of weight and landed a job so all in all not playing Dota has been a positive experience. Thank you Gaben.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
DOTA 2 cannot fail, it can only be failed.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Elman posted:

Actually I haven't grown up at all I'm still the same dota-loving manchild at heart :ohdear:

I just feel the game's only changed for the worse ever since they decided that balancing and making it stategically deep wasn't a worthwhile pursuit and it was much better to make massive sweeping changes to keep the playerbase interested.

That IS weird to me. I have always preferred Dota over the other similar games because I feel the creators don't fear changes and believe in whatever they feel it needs to be changed. I'm a really old school player here and it has been that way since the megacreeps entered the game and the removal of the bigass recipes of 5.36. I am totally fine with whatever IceToad feels needs to be put on the game and can''t help but chuckle when someone gets upset by it.

I am not kidding, I have known friends who quit dota because of megacreeps and removal of Radiant vs Dire teams on cm.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 7, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

i remember people being upset that WR was an Int hero when added because OBVIOUSLY the bow elf is an agi hero

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

turboraton posted:

I don't give a poo poo about whatever they've done to the gameplay. I just absolutely loving despise the cosmetic poo poo and the game shoving trying to sell me stuff down my throat.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Chucat posted:

I don't give a poo poo about whatever they've done to the gameplay. I just absolutely loving despise the cosmetic poo poo and the game shoving trying to sell me stuff down my throat.

Out of all the payment schemes F2P games have come up with recently, isn't completely optional cosmetics the best? I stopped playing League almost entirely because I got tired of being goaded into buying whatever was the latest hero every few weeks.

Game's gotta make money somehow.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I cared more about buying cosmetics when I occasionally got them got them for free than I do now. Next year I probably won't even do TI.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

BabelFish posted:

Out of all the payment schemes F2P games have come up with recently, isn't completely optional cosmetics the best? I stopped playing League almost entirely because I got tired of being goaded into buying whatever was the latest hero every few weeks.

Game's gotta make money somehow.

I care when they look like poo poo with a billion particles everywhere and I can't tell what heroes are because they just threw whatever standards they had out of the window.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I cared more about buying cosmetics when I occasionally got them got them for free than I do now. Next year I probably won't even do TI.

TI drops can freeroll future compendiums :eng101:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIhi8bi39NU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Chucat posted:

I care when they look like poo poo with a billion particles everywhere and I can't tell what heroes are because they just threw whatever standards they had out of the window.

Man, didn't know Dota had a crossover with Saint Seiya. While it's true that that cosmetic is poo poo, I believe you are being a grandpa. First, those are very rare, I have seen them twice on the enemy team and Second, you get to preview them on the loading screen so it never catches you up by surprise.

Some cosmetics are too much but playing dress up is fun. Valve should add a no cosmetic option tho.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Most of the newer cosmetics are totally HoN-tastic with their particle bloat, to be fair.

And I totally agree that they really dropped the ball with style guidelines. Remember the drama over Alpine Ursa? Now multiple heroes have steampunk armors and tophats and all sorts of dumb glowy poo poo.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

what champ is the golden scorpion

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

what champ is the golden scorpion

n'aix the sand king

strong bird
May 12, 2009

You might think it was the Sand King, a character in the game that is already a scorpion but it is actually Nayx the Life Stealer who previously was NOT a scorpion.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
While I agree it looks terrible and dropping the style guidelines was one of Valve's many completely retarded decisions, ingame there's really no way to confuse SK and N'aix with that cosmetic if you've ever actually seen both heroes.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

strong bird posted:

You might think it was the Sand King, a character in the game that is already a scorpion but it is actually Nayx the Life Stealer who previously was NOT a scorpion.

Well... you see... at first glance, you look at Lifestealer and think, "Eeewwww! No. Gross. What is that? Run away from it."
With the new cosmetic, you glance at it and go, "Eeewwww! No. Gross. What is that shiny bug thing? Run away from it."

First glance reaction integrity maintained.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
One's a carry that requires farm early on and has no gapclosers, the other's a dangerous initiator with a stun gapcloser that is strong at all phases

Together, they fight crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Kaiju15 posted:

Well... you see... at first glance, you look at Lifestealer and think, "Eeewwww! No. Gross. What is that? Run away from it."
With the new cosmetic, you glance at it and go, "Eeewwww! No. Gross. What is that shiny bug thing? Run away from it."

First glance reaction integrity maintained.

Listen fucko