Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VCZ: AMD quietly launches slower Radeon RX 560

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Amd is now dead to me. All hail nvdia.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

at least its not a straight rebrand again

edit:

https://hothardware.com/news/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-aorus-one-click-overclocking

I thought they couldn't be OC'd at all

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 5, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They can but not in firmware.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1gnoirents posted:

I thought they couldn't be OC'd at all

This rumor started from dumb people misunderstanding rumors. Yes, they can be overclocked. Manufacturers just cant sell/advertise them as "pre-overclocked" like they normally do via firmware.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's the workaround manufacturers are getting into. They can't ship a factory overclocked bios but a lot of them are adding predefined overclocks in their overclocking tools.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I mean they still boost higher than those advertised clocks because of boost 3.0 right?So it doesn’t really matter.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my asus strix oc edition 580 mines exactly as well as my reference 7970 caked with dust. Fine wine indeed

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If you change the memory timing straps and a couple sliders in wattman or afterburner I'm sure you would find there would be a difference

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh for sure

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

God bless PowerColor keeping the bad box art dream alive:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
How they get off selling that card and *not* including a bracing arm for it...

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

This is bizarre.
Maybe AMD are sitting desperately on so many Polaris 11 chips not even the fabled 'Asian market' could absorb, because the 1050(ti) kills it in every respect?
The harvested 1060 3GB is ehh but at least it's easily spotted and a lot cheaper than the real thing, but this :smith:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

God bless PowerColor keeping the bad box art dream alive:

Did they silently change the Star of David on the card to a pentagram or are they sticking to their guns?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ItBurns posted:

Did they silently change the Star of David on the card to a pentagram or are they sticking to their guns?

It's a pentagram in that picture.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

It's OK, we'll always know who the real Red Devils are...

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

It was on the backplate though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If that doesn't have Red LED's that pulse ominously they hosed up.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If that doesn't have Red LED's that pulse ominously they hosed up.

Maybe there's a little speaker in it that whispers forbidden knowledge to you while you game.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kramjacks posted:

Maybe there's a little speaker in it that whispers forbidden knowledge to you while you game.

unnecessary, most people will eventually figure out that they should have bought a 1080 Ti anyway

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The most offensive element is still the font used for "PowerColor".

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

BIG HEADLINE posted:

How they get off selling that card and *not* including a bracing arm for it...

Still not big enough. I want to see 5 slot coolers. I want a tower style cooler on a gpu with just enough room under it for low-profile cards.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got my 1080ti this AM and installed at lunch.

Did a quick Firestrike before I took out the 980ti

and after

:wow:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I remember thinking the 980ti was going to be the last "wow what an improvement!" card in a while. Now I think it'll be the 1080ti... but we are at the mercy of nvidia more so than ever

sauer kraut posted:

This is bizarre.
Maybe AMD are sitting desperately on so many Polaris 11 chips not even the fabled 'Asian market' could absorb, because the 1050(ti) kills it in every respect?
The harvested 1060 3GB is ehh but at least it's easily spotted and a lot cheaper than the real thing, but this :smith:

Its just the scummiest bullshit possible, in the context of GPU manufacturing imo.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Stop tempting me into a 1080 ti :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I knew it was a more powerful card for sure (or else why buy it) but I really didn't expect that much of a difference.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Its just the scummiest bullshit possible, in the context of GPU manufacturing imo.

AMD released a statement:

AMD posted:

It’s correct that 14 Compute Unit (896 stream processors) and 16 Compute Unit (1024 stream processor) versions of the Radeon RX 560 are available. We introduced the 14CU version this summer to provide AIBs and the market with more RX 500 series options. It’s come to our attention that on certain AIB and etail websites there’s no clear delineation between the two variants. We’re taking immediate steps to remedy this: we’re working with all AIB and channel partners to make sure the product descriptions and names clarify the CU count, so that gamers and consumers know exactly what they’re buying. We apologize for the confusion this may have caused.

drat those AIBs and retailers, confusing customers by calling the product exactly what AMD told them to call it :argh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The funny thing is AMD already had a 896-core product, the 560D, but I guess they weren't selling so they went ahead and relabelled them as full 560s instead. Good-guy AMD helpin' those retailers move inventory.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kloa posted:

Stop tempting me into a 1080 ti :ohdear:

Nobody tell him how much they are making mining right now

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Nobody tell him how much they are making mining right now

They're making nothing... NiceHash just got hacked (or, inside job "hacked"):

https://twitter.com/NiceHashMining/status/938504277168934912

sigh... I was two days away from a payout, at least it was only $100 in funbucks lost.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

sigh... I was two days away from a payout, at least it was only $100 in funbucks lost.

Mines making 15.00 the disappearance of the nice hash miners dropped the difficulty way down for people who had actual mining setups

Not me but I'm already back up using different mining software

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Mines making 15.00 the disappearance of the nice hash miners dropped the difficulty way down for people who had actual mining setups

Not me but I'm already back up using different mining software

Oh yeah? Any hints on what pool to point my card at now if I'm lazy?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lyra or some coin that starts with v

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Zero VGS posted:

Wow that's a pretty excited tone to announce the "we got hacked" press statement in.

Almost a hint of money money money... monnneyyyy playing in the background behind that thrilled exclamation that they finally got hacked yay!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sniep posted:

Wow that's a pretty excited tone to announce the "we got hacked" press statement in.

Almost a hint of money money money... monnneyyyy playing in the background behind that thrilled exclamation that they finally got hacked yay!

We got *rips a fat line off a K-pop star's chest* fukken haaacked!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

slidebite posted:

Got my 1080ti this AM and installed at lunch.

Did a quick Firestrike before I took out the 980ti

and after

:wow:

i think your 980ti was operating on a reduced power state; i refuse to believe that 94% of all cards tested are faster than a 980ti. Also, isn't the VR min spec around the 480 level?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

i think your 980ti was operating on a reduced power state; i refuse to believe that 94% of all cards tested are faster than a 980ti. Also, isn't the VR min spec around the 480 level?

You're right, GPU score should be closer to 4000, that test was bunk or something was wrong with the 980ti.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Kazinsal posted:

We got *rips a fat line off a K-pop star's chest* fukken haaacked!

I want that lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Lyra or some coin that starts with v

Or monero if you're dumb enough to buy a Vega.

Mine's a 56 that I got during the, like, 12 hour window they were going for MSRP a few weeks ago.