Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

That's much better, and it should have been the first statement.

I also laugh at the people telling me my attitude is the problem, when they have no qualms about making moral judgements and character judgements against "centrists"

You're all a bunch of loving hypocrites.

All I wanted was for Bernie to not be a poo poo, and it appears he has decided to correct his failure.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Seriously, why is me pointing out the major moral failure of the preferred leftist candidate so terrible to you? It isn't a personal attack on you, unless you are bernie sanders.

I didn't react this way when people pointed out Franken's horrible poo poo. I said "well, thats lovely, I hope he resigns."You seem to agree that this is a lovely thing for Bernie to do, but you want to attack me for it? what?

It's the part where you made an attempt to pin Bernie's fuckup on leftists as a whole (calling him "[our] hero") that it becomes a personal attack, stop acting like you don't know that you disingenuous rear end in a top hat.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha that was awkward.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I mean, hey, I don't think it's reasonable to expect senators to have long, eloquent responses ready that fully meet the woke quota, but he should've at least made an effort.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, it'll be a forgotten memory by next week.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I imagine it's a Politician Thing where the statement has to come before anything else.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

You guys spend all day making GBS threads on the inability of democrats to call out sexual predators but then suddenly it's a personal attack when so-called leftist hero Bernie can barely get it right too. Your politics are so goddamn performative

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I also laugh at the people telling me my attitude is the problem, when they have no qualms about making moral judgements and character judgements against "centrists"

All I wanted was for Bernie to not be a poo poo, and it appears he has decided to correct his failure.

that you have reduced your politics to attempts to trigger the libs is unfortunate.

perhaps, some day, you will find something to believe in beyond a list of people it is allowable to hate.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, hey, I don't think it's reasonable to expect senators to have long, eloquent responses ready that fully meet the woke quota, but he should've at least made an effort.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, it'll be a forgotten memory by next week.

:agreed:

It would have been an issue without the correction

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

that you have reduced your politics to attempts to trigger the libs is unfortunate.

perhaps, some day, you will find something to believe in beyond a list of people it is allowable to hate.

Hey, all i did was comment on how bernie was failing to do the right thing, and you all took it as an attack on leftist. I think it's pretty clear wheat your motivations are.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

You guys spend all day making GBS threads on the inability of democrats to call out sexual predators but then suddenly it's a personal attack when so-called leftist hero Bernie can barely get it right too. Your politics are so goddamn performative

Nah, bullshit. Loam's post was a petty as gently caress attempt to rub noses in what he thought was a fuckup.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/938496242732150786

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
What I want to know is where's the rest of the dems telling Frankin to gently caress off. Enough of this one by one poo poo it's not the Royal Rumble. Stop being centrist cowardly trash for once in your pathetic lives and pretend to do the right thing even though it's foreign for you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Fluffdaddy posted:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Your hero is a bad person.
How is this not a personal attack? Also who called Sanders "leftist hero"? Can you quote them so I can shout at them?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Nah, bullshit. Loam's post was a petty as gently caress attempt to rub noses in what he thought was a fuckup.

it was a fuckup, and he quickly fixed it when he realized it :ssh:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

But bernies failures are much deeper than that poo poo. He's still going on about Donald's supporters having economic anxiety as their primary motivation. How can he still be so blind on race?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

twodot posted:

How is this not a personal attack? Also who called Sanders "leftist hero"? Can you quote them so I can shout at them?

Oh so now you guys have a problem with personal attacks? I'll remember that the next time you lob one at me.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

We agree that it was a lovely thing for Bernie to do and that he should be criticized for it, we do not agree that this should be used to simply snipe at people on this forum. We both have a problem with this, but you're using it as an opportunity to get some dunks in on the left rather than actually criticizing the lovely thing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fluffdaddy posted:

But bernies failures are much deeper than that poo poo. He's still going on about Donald's supporters having economic anxiety as their primary motivation. How can he still be so blind on race?

This reminds me of the semi-recent "regular Americans" gently caress up that didn't get corrected, unfortunately.

Bernie has a bad case of the old white dude on some issues, I don't think that's disputable.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hey, all i did was comment on how bernie was failing to do the right thing, and you all took it as an attack on leftist. I think it's pretty clear wheat your motivations are.

that your hero failed you is tragic, loam.

perhaps you could avoid this pain in the future by ceasing to base your politics around hero-worship, and finding something you actually believe in to advocate for.

just throwing the idea out there.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

that your hero failed you is tragic, loam.

perhaps you could avoid this pain in the future by ceasing to base your politics around hero-worship, and finding something you actually believe in to advocate for.

just throwing the idea out there.

Oh I thought we didn't do personal attacks.

:sad:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Loam, here's the difference between you and us.

If it came out tomorrow that Bernie was a rapist murderer pedophile, I'd loving throw him to the curb so quick your head would spin. I'd find some other leftist who can champion the cause, because that's what matters at the end of the day. The cause, not the people championing it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Why won't you throw him under the bus for continuing to be blind to racism

Edit: also, us? When did you become thread spokesperson?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Loam, here's the difference between you and us.

If it came out tomorrow that Bernie was a rapist murderer pedophile, I'd loving throw him to the curb so quick your head would spin. I'd find some other leftist who can champion the cause, because that's what matters at the end of the day. The cause, not the people championing it.

So how is this different than me again, or are you trying to insinuate that somehow I would support a rapist?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

Probably because he's largely loving not.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Eh, its 50/50. He focuses on class and class issues at the expense of racial ones. Some think that is different than being blind to them, other do not. I personally don't see him having problems with race issues, but sometimes he can let that perception sneak in with his laser focus on class issues.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh I thought we didn't do personal attacks.

:sad:

do you have something you believe in to advocate for, loam

or are you just here to cry about those fuckers to your left, for their crimes in *checks notes* condemning bernie sanders' non-response on franken?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

So how is this different than me again, or are you trying to insinuate that somehow I would support a rapist?

What do you believe in beyond politicians? Like, drop names from the discussion, what politics/policies do you want to see happen?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Edit: also, us? When did you become thread spokesperson?

Sorry about "us" I didn't mean to speak for everyone.

And while Bernie has his problems with race, I think "blind to racism" is being overly harsh. Keep in mind the last nominee employed prison labor and spoke about superpredators.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Except he is and continues to be.

https://twitter.com/vice/status/938442101943160832

He can take several seats with this poo poo

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

WampaLord posted:

And while Bernie has his problems with race, I think "blind to racism" is being overly harsh. Keep in mind the last nominee employed prison labor and spoke about superpredators.

And was still better on race then Sanders.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I am not here to litigate the primaries I am talking about a sitting senator not a private citizen who I don't give a poo poo about.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

do you have something you believe in to advocate for, loam

or are you just here to cry about those fuckers to your left, for their crimes in *checks notes* condemning ' non-response on franken?

WampaLord posted:

What do you believe in beyond politicians? Like, drop names from the discussion, what politics/policies do you want to see happen?

Sorry about "us" I didn't mean to speak for everyone.

I've expressed my beliefs quite openly with both of you before, but you seem to forget that when you feel the need to attack.

if i were to quickly put a top 3 list together it would be

1. UBI
2. Money out of politics
3 is hard to choose between criminal justice reform and tackling climate change.

Now please continue attacking, because it just shows everyone else how full of poo poo you are.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Fluffdaddy posted:

I'll just leave the full paragraph here:

quote:

"It is clear that there is an element of Trump supporters who are racists, sexists, homophobes, and there’s nothing I’m going to say that’s going to appeal to them," he said. "But I think that the vast majority of Trump supporters are people who are in pain, who are struggling economically, who are worried to death that their kids are going to be in even worse shape economically than they are, and they turned to Trump because Trump said things that made sense. He said he was going to take on the establishment, and he was going to provide healthcare to everybody. You know what, it’s pretty much what I said."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

karthun posted:

And was still better on race then Sanders.

I don't think this is accurate, if you're talking about what they were publicly running on. BLM had to interrupt and harass both of them to talk about substantial race issues and neither was keen to do it on their own. Hillary had a longer record of engaging with black organizations, however.

The Democratic Party in general is not good on race issues outside of a few mostly POC representatives who are standouts.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

I'll just leave the full paragraph here:

yeah he's pretty wrong on that issue.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

he's right, though

they are struggling. they are in pain. it is struggle and pain they are unaccustomed to, as once-comfortable members of the middle class, slowly being dipped lower and lower to the minorities they are utterly loving terrified of.

donald trump offered them a quick and easy explanation for why that was happening.
the democrats offered them "donald trump is mean."

turns out option B was not a vote-getter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Some people have an actual ideology and opinions. They believe that the political views held by the center and center-left are either directly harmful or harmful by virtue of inaction.

So basically they judge the character of centrists for the same reason you probably judge the character of conservatives. They believe that the ideology/opinions of the people in question reflect poorly on them as individuals.

This should be common sense. If you disagree that the people and ideas in question are actually bad, that is the argument you should be making. But acting like politics has no relevance beyond that of an intellectual debate is absurd.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I'm a little concerned about this whole "hallucinating a bunch of leftist posters defending Bernie" thing. Might want to get that checked out.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 6, 2017

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
God, we're going to lose again in 2018. The right is going to march in goose-step, while we bicker endlessly about idealism vs. pragmatism. Roy Moore is the perfect example of why the right will always win in the end; they just don't give a gently caress what they do wrong. So long as he's loyal to them, they'll overlook anything. Having standards and ethics of any kind handicaps us every time, and really, I have no idea what to do about it.

Franken needs to go, because he assaulted women. There's no question. It also hurts the party, by losing a senator. Republican superpacs can just run endless ads about how Democrats support and elect sexual predators. It doesn't matter that they're rife with them, because their people don't give a gently caress. Ours do. Nothing effects them anymore, but everything effects us. It feels like we're playing a completely different game, with peoples lives as the stakes.

Incidentally, anyone know any tasty cocktail recipes to get destroyed on the cheap?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've expressed my beliefs quite openly with both of you before, but you seem to forget that when you feel the need to attack.

if i were to quickly put a top 3 list together it would be

1. UBI
2. Money out of politics
3 is hard to choose between criminal justice reform and tackling climate change.

Now please continue attacking, because it just shows everyone else how full of poo poo you are.

very good.

how are those things, in which you believe, served by an accusation that bernie sanders is the hero of the left

let's see some pragmatism, pragmatic centrist.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Some people have an actual ideology and opinions. They believe that the political views held by the center and center-left are either directly harmful or harmful by virtue of inaction.

So basically they judge the character of centrists for the same reason you probably judge the character of conservatives. They believe that the ideology/opinions of the people in question reflect poorly on them as individuals.

This should be common sense. If you disagree that the people and ideas in question are actually bad, that is the argument you should be making. But acting like politics has no relevance beyond that of an intellectual debate is absurd.

The issue is when "centrist" becomes a label for people that they don't like.

People continue to tell me that I "have no beliefs" and that's a personal attack that is used as a tribal war cry instead of an actual debate. I take major issue with this, and have no problem pushing back against those who do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ze Pollack posted:

he's right, though

they are struggling. they are in pain. it is struggle and pain they are unaccustomed to, as once-comfortable members of the middle class, slowly being dipped lower and lower to the minorities they are utterly loving terrified of.

donald trump offered them a quick and easy explanation for why that was happening.
the democrats offered them "donald trump is mean."

turns out option B was not a vote-getter.

This is fair as long we're acknowledging that the Trump voters in this post are still racist assholes.

• Locked thread