Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

...You should read the last few posts, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's a decent wallet for various alt-coin?

None of them. Any of them can and will be hacked. Don’t keep more than you’re willing to lose.

That being said, Coinbase is good. It will be hacked one day, but it’s good now.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tehinternet posted:

None of them. Any of them can and will be hacked. Don’t keep more than you’re willing to lose.

That being said, Coinbase is good. It will be hacked one day, but it’s good now.

I mean offline wallets. Or are those not the way to do this sort of thing anymore?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hear there are a few nicehash alternatives, none so easy to use but they support basic algo switching.

Multipoolminer https://github.com/aaronsace/MultiPoolMiner
awesomeminer http://www.awesomeminer.com/
winminer https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2004875.0

I havent used any of them and I cant guarantee they wont steal all your wallets and burn down your house.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I editted a previous post, but https://minergate.com/ looks quite nice and was easy to get started. Not sure about the backend of the payout process but I guess ill see! Also its mining at about $9 a day on cryptonight on just my 1080ti machine :D*

*maybe

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

PerrineClostermann posted:

...You should read the last few posts, friend.

I did, it was a joke :banjo:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

I editted a previous post, but https://minergate.com/ looks quite nice and was easy to get started. Not sure about the backend of the payout process but I guess ill see! Also its mining at about $9 a day on cryptonight on just my 1080ti machine :D*

*maybe

I will 2nd minergate as being easy to use. You have to manually withdraw your funds but it does seem pretty automated

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
doublepost

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
So technically speaking, where "are" my BTC if I haven't reached the payout minimum for NiceHash to send to the Coinbase wallet I was using? When I viewed the stats page for the NiceHash hosted page for the Coinbase wallet address, it showed a balance, but is that just a dummy page and the BTC were actually in a NiceHash wallet until it triggered the transfer?

I assume it's off in a hacker's wallet at this point. Man, has hacking ever been as lucrative a skillset as now?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You own nothing unless it's paid out from nicehash to some external wallet.

Hacking is not as lucrative as being a CUDA/openCL developer making miners with dev fees imo

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

So technically speaking, where "are" my BTC if I haven't reached the payout minimum for NiceHash to send to the Coinbase wallet I was using? When I viewed the stats page for the NiceHash hosted page for the Coinbase wallet address, it showed a balance, but is that just a dummy page and the BTC were actually in a NiceHash wallet until it triggered the transfer?

I assume it's off in a hacker's wallet at this point. Man, has hacking ever been as lucrative a skillset as now?

From what I've gathered its a Nicehash wallet ID, which is how anybody knows whats "missing" at all. Its definitely not yours until its yours though and if this tanks them, its gone.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you use minergate make sure you manually choose what coin to mine. The "smart" mining doesnt actually mine what you are best at.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

if you use minergate make sure you manually choose what coin to mine. The "smart" mining doesnt actually mine what you are best at.

It chose the best for me but I did verify it first just because.
I had to max out the cores and intensity for it to match what I was expecting to see however

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
More info about nicehash

https://vc.ru/30227-polzovateli-servisa-dlya-oblachnogo-mayninga-nicehash-zapodozrili-ego-vo-vzlome-i-utechke-56-mln

https://www.facebook.com/NiceHash/posts/2012288672323602

e: that's why you don't use the nicehash wallet :razz:

$153.36 USD / 0.01193536 BTC paid days before this woop

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 6, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

It chose the best for me but I did verify it first just because.
I had to max out the cores and intensity for it to match what I was expecting to see however

for me it just wants to mine monero for $2 a day on a 7700k and 1080ti. If I were to manually set it, what should i be mining?

Im currently checking out winminer. It seems to be most similar to nicehash legacy compared to the other ones I have tried today

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

More info about nicehash

https://vc.ru/30227-polzovateli-servisa-dlya-oblachnogo-mayninga-nicehash-zapodozrili-ego-vo-vzlome-i-utechke-56-mln

https://www.facebook.com/NiceHash/posts/2012288672323602

e: that's why you don't use the nicehash wallet :razz:

$153.36 USD / 0.01193536 BTC paid days before this woop

Yeah I have $130 sitting in my Nicehash balance. I hope it works out, mostly because Im just used to Nicehash though.

Minergate is kind of weirding me out because it started mining without any wallet IDs or setup of any kind really other than "enter your email address" (not even a password lol). I'm guessing I'll have to cross that bridge when the time comes. Also since this is mining coins directly now I have to deal with converting currencies and poo poo... I hope Nicehash wasn't hacked or if it was, that money was moved out of Nicehash's accounts as a nuclear option to prevent it from being drained.

Fauxtool posted:

for me it just wants to mine monero for $2 a day on a 7700k and 1080ti. If I were to manually set it, what should i be mining?

Im currently checking out winminer. It seems to be most similar to nicehash legacy compared to the other ones I have tried today

I too am mining Monero (XMR), but where do you see $2 a day or any daily figure? I'm just doing the math based on my mining rate and using other websites to calculate

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah I have $130 sitting in my Nicehash balance. I hope it works out, mostly because Im just used to Nicehash though.

Minergate is kind of weirding me out because it started mining without any wallet IDs or setup of any kind really other than "enter your email address" (not even a password lol). I'm guessing I'll have to cross that bridge when the time comes. Also since this is mining coins directly now I have to deal with converting currencies and poo poo... I hope Nicehash wasn't hacked or if it was, that money was moved out of Nicehash's accounts as a nuclear option to prevent it from being drained.

I too am mining Monero (XMR), but where do you see $2 a day or any daily figure? I'm just doing the math based on my mining rate and using other websites to calculate

i used whattomine and plugged in my hashrate and power cost

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

wild speculation :derp:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

i used whattomine and plugged in my hashrate and power cost

Hmm thats what I did. $2 a day is not right at all unless I'm looking at this all wrong.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
which of these easy to use mining frontends will let me mine monacoin as that seems to be the current hot ticket

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
WikiTribune: Cryptocurrency site NiceHash may be 'hacked' - NiceHash is “assessing the situation and working with the authorities. We’ll issue a public statement shortly.”

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

divabot posted:

WikiTribune: Cryptocurrency site NiceHash may be 'hacked' - NiceHash is “assessing the situation and working with the authorities. We’ll issue a public statement shortly.”

What authorities?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poemdexter posted:

What authorities?

My Butt.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

poemdexter posted:

What authorities?

the Bitcoin Police

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Are there any similar services available that pay out in bitcoin regardless of what you're mining? I was close to getting a payout from nicehash, but that looks to be kaput.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

TrueChaos posted:

Are there any similar services available that pay out in bitcoin regardless of what you're mining? I was close to getting a payout from nicehash, but that looks to be kaput.

I've read winminer?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

poemdexter posted:

What authorities?

Someone call the Android Police!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol buttcoin

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well that explains the 0.000000 BTC/day hashrate I had overnight.

Hell of an exit strategy, but god drat if this isn't gonna anger a lot of launderers holy loly

e: found the missing bitcoins y'all :laffo: https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1EnJHhq8Jq8vDuZA5ahVh6H4t6jh1mB4rq

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

willroc7 posted:

I've read winminer?

winminer is the closest i can find that is like nicehash. the algo switching isnt as aggressive and the amounts seems lower but all signs seem positive so far

it knows to mine eth on my amd card, zen on my nvidia and monero on my cpu which is better than minergate which just wants to do monero on everything

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

Well that explains the 0.000000 BTC/day hashrate I had overnight.

Hell of an exit strategy, but god drat if this isn't gonna anger a lot of launderers holy loly

e: found the missing bitcoins y'all :laffo: https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1EnJHhq8Jq8vDuZA5ahVh6H4t6jh1mB4rq

Regular bank: Oh boy! A transaction for over a thousand dollars? Better check with a bunch of people and acquire proof that this is legit, lest our customer be the victim of fraud or theft!

Bitcoin: 60 million dollars? lol sure it's only numbers bro, just gimme my 20 dollar fee

currency of the future right here

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If you're not cashing out every day for double quac burritos you're not doing buttcoins properly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
How long can bitcoin sustain this growth and how low will it go

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

How long can bitcoin sustain this growth and how low will it go

Nobody knows

I don’t think a drop to 3000 is crazy, it’s happened before. Also it could go up to 100,000 like that guy says

Nothing abou bitcoins makes sense, but at least my video card paid for itself

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
From the Nicehash Facebook

Nicehash posted:

Unfortunately, there has been a security breach involving NiceHash website. We are currently investigating the nature of the incident and, as a result, we are stopping all operations for the next 24 hours.
Importantly, our payment system was compromised and the contents of the NiceHash Bitcoin wallet have been stolen. We are working to verify the precise number of BTC taken.
Clearly, this is a matter of deep concern and we are working hard to rectify the matter in the coming days. In addition to undertaking our own investigation, the incident has been reported to the relevant authorities and law enforcement and we are co-operating with them as a matter of urgency.
We are fully committed to restoring the NiceHash service with the highest security measures at the earliest opportunity.
We would not exist without our devoted buyers and miners all around the globe. We understand that you will have a lot of questions, and we ask for patience and understanding while we investigate the causes and find the appropriate solutions for the future of the service. We will endeavour to update you at regular intervals.
While the full scope of what happened is not yet known, we recommend, as a precaution, that you change your online passwords.
We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused and are committing every resource towards solving this issue as soon as possible.

Hope no one was using a Nicehash wallet like was advised in the thread and only loses out on their most recent payout. About $70 lost for me but could be a lot worse.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
4,736.42BTC were stolen

book em away toys

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Not using Nicehash again, they have nfi who/what/where/why :welp:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

lol gently caress me, $150 payout or so guaranteed gone. Oh well. Hope one of these other programs works out

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

This is good for Bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

lol gently caress me, $150 payout or so guaranteed gone. Oh well. Hope one of these other programs works out

And you still have to pay the electric bill so its a loss.

• Locked thread