Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FreshFeesh posted:

If Sonoma and Napa Counties could stop being on fire that'd be great, thanks.

It is the turn of the season, when the hills are painted with beautiful shades of orange, yellow, and red, after some damnfool drops a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is the turn of the season, when the hills are painted with beautiful shades of orange, yellow, and red, after some damnfool drops a match.

The real reason Californians hate smokers.

Everytime I see an rear end in a top hat flick a butt out of his car, I want to kill. However, instead get his plate number and snitch his bitch rear end out to the chp.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Corona/Anaheim Hills on fire again, same area as two weeks ago but heading the opposite direction (towards some very expensive houses). Wind gusts up to 60mph too!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

wanna make a california themed 8-ball, where the question is “is california on fire” and all the answers are a definitive yes

• yup
  • uh-huh
  • gnarly
  • unrighteous
  • bogus
  • like, what do you think
  • again?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I get an emergency alert on my phone that tells me to “check media” and “mandatory evacuation”

I check google news

trump is on the headline

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got that alert too, I live about 15 miles or so south.

Here's a map

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1VQ5UhOFnKD_iRn2asD_7iiIvzTY&ll=33.85516324494229%2C-117.73829014556884&z=13

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/10newsjason/status/917384517186330626

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

el dorito posted:

wanna make a california themed 8-ball, where the question is “is california on fire” and all the answers are a definitive yes

• yup
  • uh-huh
  • gnarly
  • unrighteous
  • bogus
  • again?

http://iscaliforniaonfire.com/

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

el dorito posted:

• yup
  • uh-huh
  • gnarly
  • unrighteous
  • bogus
  • again?

*hella

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

begone, filthy northman

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am totally all "down with smokers" but this might have been a worse plague?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/10/pge-power-lines-linked-to-wine-country-fires/
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/PG-E-power-lines-explored-as-possible-cause-of-12270749.php
http://abc7news.com/pg-e-source-believes-downed-power-lines-blown-transformers-started-deadly-north-bay-fires/2521710/

quote:

The lineman wants to remain anonymous, but the I-Team reviewed emergency dispatch recordings and in the early moments of this disaster, several calls came in about power lines falling in the high winds and transformers exploding.

... again.

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_705c25ac-2ada-11e7-83a7-1f7ce7d36295.html

quote:

More Butte Fire fines levied on PG&E

CPUC found in its investigation that PG&E did not safely maintain its 12-kilovolt overhead electric conductor in a safe and proper manner, resulting in an $8 million fine, the maximum for any one citation issued under the CPUC’s rules and regulations.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-puc-fine-20150409-story.html

quote:

California regulators approved a record $1.6-billion fine against the state's largest utility, Pacific Gas & Electric Co., even as the new president of the Public Utilities Commission publicly questioned the company’s commitment to safety.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/PG-E-agrees-to-86-5m-penalty-in-San-Bruno-11036666.php

quote:

PG&E agrees to $86.5m penalty in San Bruno fallout; bills to drop

PG&E will not be permitted to pass on to its customers any of the costs associated with the agreement. Those costs must instead come out of the company’s earnings. The utility, California’s largest, made $1.4 billion in profits last year.

etc

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just found a sunflower seed sitting on my UPS as I hid under my desk during the Shake Out earthquake drill we just had. Anybody else find anything fun?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I purposely arrived late to school to miss that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My office is literally filled with earthquake engineers and we all just ignored the alarm.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it’s not a real alarm unless it’s the goddmn incoming nuke red alert buzzer blazing out of my phone

I had no idea that this was a thing until now, and I’m happy that they didn’t use the emergency system for this

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sounds like there’s a fire in santa cruz

stay safe sc goons

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks, poo poo's mostly under control here from what I can tell :)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Any must see things in LA? My peeps in the area aren't big on museums or arboretums so any reccs for those?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Any must see things in LA? My peeps in the area aren't big on museums or arboretums so any reccs for those?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

If you like plants and walking the Huntington library botanical garden is good

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Getty.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Don't forget the Denny's on Artesia and Aviation

Seriouspost: where are you staying? LA's a big city and getting from place to place can be a real pain, but most neighborhoods have at least one or two cool things worth checking out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The La Brea Tar Pits was fantastic, much cooler than I was expecting, and it's right by the LA County Museum of Art.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It's also like across the street from the Peterson automotive museum, which is cool if you like cars (and not cool if you don't because it's basically just cars)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm staying in, the uhh, Valley? Also, I'm gonna need to find an African-American Bookstore, or maybe they'll stock black focused stories and picture books in regular stores?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Valley? Hoo boy. I'm just posting this here list to fill the void because I never really travel that far east:

http://www.laweekly.com/arts/15-surprisingly-awesome-things-you-didn-t-know-you-could-do-in-the-valley-5122200

Hopefully someone else knows more than me. #15 might be up your alley.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
(crossposting)

The Ventura fire (burning right now) has become a pretty major incident.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-school-fire-20171204-story.html
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-evacuation-ventura-county-fire-20171204-story.html

quote:

7,700 homes evacuated in Ventura as fire rages; traffic jams as residents flee

The fast-moving wildfire above Ventura forced thousands to evacuate their homes early Tuesday.

Authorities said more than 7,700 homes were under the evacuation order. Some homes have burned in the city of Ventura.

An army of firefighters set up strike teams along foothill communities in Ventura and Santa Paula as the Thomas fire, pushed by 50-mph winds, inched close to homes.

The evacuations caused traffic jams on several streets as residents fled. At the same time, firefighters were rushing into the hills to set up defenses.

Mandatory evacuations have been ordered for people who live in the following areas:

East of Dickenson Road, north of Monte Vista Drive along Highway 150 and south of Thomas Aquinas College to the area of Bridge Road.
West of Dickenson Road to Atmore Road, north of Foothill Road and west to Wheeler Canyon Road
North of Highway 150 from Koenigstein Road west to the Dennison Grade, north to Reeves Road, east to McAndrew Road and north to Grand Avenue.
North of Foothill Road west to Wheeler Canyon Road, north to Canada Larga Road and east to Barlow Canyon Road
In Ventura south of Highway 33, east of Main St, north of Foothill Road and Hall Canyon Road and west of Canada Larga Road

Here are the evacuation shelters:

Ventura County Fairgrounds at Miners Building (includes an animal shelter for all types of animals): 10 W Harbor Blvd, Ventura, 93001
Nordhoff High School:1401 Maricopa Hwy, Ojai, 93023

School closures:

Ventura Unified School District: All schools will be closed Tuesday.
Hueneme Elementary School District: All schools will be closed Tuesday.
Santa Paula School Districts: All schools will be closed Tuesday.

Road closures:

Soft closures (Residents will need to provide identification to access their homes.):

Wheeler Canyon Road at Foothill Road
Highway 150 at Reeves Road
Highway 150 at Santa Barbara St.

Hard closures (Only public safety personnel will have access.):

Highway 150 at Sisar Road
Highway 150 at Stonegate Road
Wells Road at Foothill Road
Peck Road at Foothill Road

quote:

More than 150 structures destroyed, 27,000 people evacuated in raging Ventura wildfire

A fast-moving, wind-fueled wildfire swept into the city of Ventura early Tuesday, burning 31,000 acres, destroying homes and forcing 27,000 people to evacuate.

At least 150 structures — including at least one large apartment complex — were consumed by flames, and many more were threatened as the fire crept about a quarter-mile away from City Hall.

But the destruction appears to be much worse as the sun rose Tuesday, revealing fire sweeping through whole neighborhoods in the hills above Ventura.

Engulfed in flames, the Hawaiian Village Apartments collapsed about 4 a.m. Water gushed down North Laurel Street as firefighters worked to put out the flaming complex and residents watched, holding cameras and cellphones. The sound of bursting propane tanks filled the air.

"The prospects for containment are not good,” Ventura County Fire Chief Mark Lorenzen said at a news conference. “Really, Mother Nature is going to decide.”

The Thomas fire had burned 31,000 acres, but fire officials expected it would rip through at least 50,000 acres in the mountains between Santa Paula and Ventura. By 5:20 a.m. Tuesday, winds were pushing flames toward Ojai Valley, authorities said.

“The fire is actively burning in the city of Ventura and there are homes and buildings actively burning at this time,” Ventura County Sheriff Sgt. Eric Buschow said.

The Vista Del Mar hospital, a psychiatric facility, was evacuated, authorities said. The area around a Ventura landmark called Two Trees has also burned.

Ventura County fire officials reported Monday night that one person was killed in a traffic accident on a road closed due to the Thomas fire. But at about 6 a.m. Tuesday, authorities said no fatalities were confirmed — although one dog had died, Quirarte said.

At least 1,000 homes in Ventura, Santa Paula and Ojai were evacuated.

More than 260,000 customers in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties were without power. As of 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, a Southern California Edison spokeswoman did not know when power would be restored.

Thats about a 1/4 of the population of Ventura being evacuated.

I blame the catholics.

quote:

The blaze started about 6:25 p.m. Monday in the foothills near Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In loving December. These Santa Ana winds are ridiculous. Tomorrow's forecast in SLO: high of 77°, low of 39°. :psyduck:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ventura goon reporting in, volunteered about 11 hours, had to call it before the 12th hour. Most of the night the fires we're visible from the fairgrounds. This morning the smoke as too thick to see the fires.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RandomPauI posted:

Ventura goon reporting in, volunteered about 11 hours, had to call it before the 12th hour. Most of the night the fires we're visible from the fairgrounds. This morning the smoke as too thick to see the fires.
Stay safe, Oxnard ghost

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FMguru posted:

Stay safe, Oxnard ghost

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone should tell Ventura County that wildfires aren't supposed to happen in December.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We didn't get any rain during the spring or fall, so all the growth from the winter showers dried out. That plus the Santa Anna's made for a horrible combination.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
RIP, 405-N:

https://twitter.com/WLV_investor/status/938410022538682368

At least it should be hard for the fire to jump twelve lanes, but, man, if it does and 405-S is jammed up at the same time, a lot of people could get hurt.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

which would be the greater catastrophe, the fire jumping over the freeway or the freeway being shutdown during rush hour?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm staying in, the uhh, Valley? Also, I'm gonna need to find an African-American Bookstore, or maybe they'll stock black focused stories and picture books in regular stores?

CPColin posted:

RIP, 405-N:

https://twitter.com/WLV_investor/status/938410022538682368

At least it should be hard for the fire to jump twelve lanes, but, man, if it does and 405-S is jammed up at the same time, a lot of people could get hurt.

stay safe tourist goon!!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

el dorito posted:

stay safe tourist goon!!

lol you picked a real bad time to visit

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Just waiting for our turn on the fire wheel down here in San Diego. Any day now.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Aardvark posted:

Just waiting for our turn on the fire wheel down here in San Diego. Any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

From a Sonoma county person, stay safe :unsmith:

Buy N95 masks asap if you expect air quality issues.

If you're affected, even tangentially, it's traumatic, and anxiety and stuff is normal. It sucks, but be patient with it.

And if you wanna help people affected, money/time >>> goods.

• Locked thread