Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Zerilan posted:

Checking out kakukaku. March is still ongoing isn't it?

Yes, March Lion is still going. I'm not sure where it's headed or how long it's going to go on but I love every chapter we get.

Hope you enjoy Kakukaku. It affected me quite a bit, and prompted me to bust out my old art supplies and just paint stuff.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'll keep March in mind for when I'm back with stable internet connection. Going with completed stuff right now since I'm spending a lot of time in rural areas on data capped mobile connections this month, so just letting full series download on my reader app whenever I'm getting lunch in town.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Battle angel alita

Battle angel alita: last order

The current battle angel alita I haven't caught up on yet but you're good with those first two series. They're extremely good postapocalyptic cyberpunk.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

finally reading Billy Bat (117) and wait what, so why didn't Kurusu make his wish? cuz he's about to...and then Kevin's like "I GOT IT"...and then it's just reminding him of his dad? so that's why?

adding on to what the other guy said, i think he remembered that his dream was to go to the moon and decided not to restart because he got what he wanted in the end

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Invictus posted:

The current battle angel alita I haven't caught up on yet but you're good with those first two series. They're extremely good postapocalyptic cyberpunk.

Flashbacks within flashbacks. It's pretty cool though. There's some great new characters - but you kind of know they're all going to have to fuckoff or die because none of them are around in the other series.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the new english release for alita is absolutely amazing (giant hardcover, some color pages, great semi-gloss paper) granted i haven't started a read-through to see how the translation is. i know they kept the 90's names rather than ~kill the brand~ by calling her gally and all that other stuff, though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

dogsicle posted:

the new english release for alita is absolutely amazing (giant hardcover, some color pages, great semi-gloss paper) granted i haven't started a read-through to see how the translation is. i know they kept the 90's names rather than ~kill the brand~ by calling her gally and all that other stuff, though.

Alita is a better name.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Begemot posted:

Alita is a better name.

it is, i didn't mean to come off as if the original was better. :sweatdrop:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Found something super cool.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dennou-Kakugi-MephistoWaltz

A talented piano player injures his fingers, then gets really into fighting games. Ft. some detailed anatomy work, badass bros, cute and badass girls.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My feeling about Urasawa and Higashimura is that they're both extremely good and top tier, but not quite "literally the best" like many people think*. Both artists have a distinct pattern to their works that you start to notice once you've read a few of them (once you get a feel for it you can start to understand how Higashimura's output is as high as it is). This isn't to say I can necessarily come up with someone better off the top of my head (Inio Asano, for example, has a similar thing going on with there being a pattern to his manga, though I think he's a bit more bold in the variety of his works), but I wouldn't say that Urasawa and Higashimura are quite as "unassailable" as some people make them out to be. I think that sort of opinion is often the result of them being the first really good manga some people encounter (I remember 20th Century Boys completely blowing my mind back when I first read it back in college sometime between 2004 and 2008).

This might sound like a really bizarre comparison, but I would actually say that something like Hunter X Hunter is bolder in its general approach to storytelling than the works of someone like Urasawa. It's hard to explain exactly how, but it feels more like the author is putting a lot of thought into how to keep things interesting and isn't limited by the nature of their past work (or the events in their current story). Even Urasawa's (in my opinion) best works, Pluto and Billy Bat, have this sort of feel to the way the stories progress that causes me to never feel particularly surprised with the direction their story-telling takes (I'm considering the "direction of the story-telling" distinct from the events that occur in the plot).

Just to reiterate, I don't mean any of this as a condemnation of these authors, because they're still amazing and write some of my favorite manga. But I think it's still interesting to think about their limitations/flaws.

* This being said, I do think someone could argue that Urasawa and Higashimura are the absolute best when it comes to their quality to speed ratio (that is, how fast they produce high quality content).

turboraton posted:

I finally finished Soil after YEARS. GOD drat, like GOD drat. I even offered the guy who finished the translation to at least translate the first chapter into spanish because jesus lord what a fantastic piece of art.

This website has all the chapters: http://mangakakalot.com/manga/soil

I remember the author was doing another series, Deathko I think it was called (might be romanized as "Deathco"). When I get home from work I need to check if there's been any more updates translated, since there were only a few chapters last I checked (which was a long time ago). I absolutely love their art. I'm a big fan of that sort of high contrast style.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Deathco was a lot of fun, but I don't think it's being translated anymore.

Urasawa and Higashimura are both amazing and some of their works are among my favourites. Thinking about it, my favourite manga by those two are both a little bit atypical in their bibliography:
Master Keaton was a collaboration with the author of Golgo13, so it's possible that his influence was partly the reason I like it a lot more than the other Urasawa I've read.
Kakukaku Shikajika is unusual in being an actual autobiography. Sure, it has a similar mix of comedy and drama to her other work, but its realism is what makes it so unique and fascinating.

The idea of anyone being 'literally the best' doesn't make sense to me.

I've never read Hunter X Hunter - maybe I've unfairly dismissed it. I've yet to really enjoy adventure manga though - even bounced off JoJo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Started reading Kakukaku after yall started talking about it. I'm roughly the same age as the author and took a really long and complicated (mostly by my own stupidity) route to get to the job I really wanted just a year or two back. It's a hell of a read for me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Everyone read riki-oh if you haven't it's amazing

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jose posted:

Everyone read riki-oh if you haven't it's amazing

Even if you have, read it again. It's still amazing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first arc in the ultragore prison is the most iconic part, but my favorite is still riki's dad. his giant, time traveling nazi moon jesus dad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That Works posted:

Started reading Kakukaku after yall started talking about it. I'm roughly the same age as the author and took a really long and complicated (mostly by my own stupidity) route to get to the job I really wanted just a year or two back. It's a hell of a read for me.
It's gonna be even more hellish of a read for you by the end I think

goddamn it's such a good series.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What do you mean Prison School is ending next week!?!? :livintrope:

http://moetron.news/post/168253980400/prison-school-manga-series-will-end-in-the-next

THIS BETTER BE BULLSHIT

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Good

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zerilan posted:

Didn't see an active manga request thread so asking here: Looking for some completed series to binge through. Generally prefer drama stuff to action stuff as long as there's not some soul crushingly depressing ending. Recently read Pluto and Billy Bat, which I liked, and Spirit Circle, which I loved (have also read most other stuff by each of those authors). Have also read I think most of the stuff on the wiki's recommendation list.

I'd reccomend Aku no Hana/The Flowers of Evil, Hourou Musuko/Wandering Son, Koe no Katachi/Silent Voice and Orange

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Grouchio posted:

http://moetron.news/post/168253980400/prison-school-manga-series-will-end-in-the-next

THIS BETTER BE BULLSHIT

after 6 long years of drawing smut just for the money and no other reason that guy can finally get back to that other comic

Next month: prison school next! announced

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I'd reccomend Aku no Hana/The Flowers of Evil, Hourou Musuko/Wandering Son, Koe no Katachi/Silent Voice and Orange

Read the first, havent heard of the last two. Tried to get into Wandering Son but dialogue translation in early chapters I found wasn't that good so it was hard to get into it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

I've never read Hunter X Hunter - maybe I've unfairly dismissed it. I've yet to really enjoy adventure manga though - even bounced off JoJo.

Just to be clear, I didn't meant to compare it with those other authors in terms of overall quality, but rather in terms of the extent to which I feel the author is willing to be creative and try new things. Every arc in HxH is completely willing to throw out prominent characters and change the entire setting and themes compared with previous arcs. I feel like there's less of a set structure/"system" to the way it progresses than the works of most other authors, including Higashimura or Urasawa.

edit: Put another way, at any given point in HxH beyond maybe the first couple arcs, the author could have just coasted using the same characters and direction and still been successful. But he chose not to. There's a feeling of genuine creativity there that is missing from most other manga (though this isn't the fault of the authors so much as the commercial pressures, which the HxH author has been free of for quite some time).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 6, 2017

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Grouchio posted:

THIS BETTER BE BULLSHIT

:byewhore:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I still can't believe the guy who created Me and the Devil Blues has been making that comic for the past few years.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

get this, It's the better manga

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's not.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Awfully dedicated man to stick with his money making scheme for that long to ensure that he wouldn't run out of money while drawing what he truly loves. Still a shame to see such a crazy series finally go.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Fire Punch kind of reminded Fist of the North Star when I first started reading it. An unstoppable guy just obliterating bad guys left and right. Just the kind of ridiculous action series I'd been missing.

Then Fire Punch turned into a villain too. Fair enough, maybe the author is trying to make some commentary on the futility and self destructive nature of that kind of drive towards revenge.

But it fell flat for me since he was still opposed by a bunch of horrible rape soldiers, and then religious fanatics. There was no one to root for. I kept going because I thought maybe it would eventually have some point, but it never did.

Now I just have no idea at all what this series is meant to be about.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Grouchio posted:

THIS BETTER BE BULLSHIT

This is the worst Christmas ever.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

Awfully dedicated man to stick with his money making scheme for that long to ensure that he wouldn't run out of money while drawing what he truly loves. Still a shame to see such a crazy series finally go.

I think the guy just enjoys drawing titty, actually.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Goodbye weird story where everything is contrived to show off maximum titty

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i will miss the talking vaginas

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The rear end-man sequence was a really good joke but I never read the rest. Good on the dude for apparently making some bank.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just finished Rin by Harold Sakuishi (best known for Beck) and liked it. I'm a sucker for anything metafictional so all the different manga ideas sketched made it a pretty rich read. Felt like a more interesting take on the same stuff as Bakuman or whatever it was called.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fellis posted:

after 6 long years of drawing smut just for the money and no other reason that guy can finally get back to that other comic

Next month: prison school next! announced
Prison School is brilliant, at least up to the part I read to(the principal in the helicopter bit)

The way it in no way takes itself seriously, and simultaneously takes itself INFINITELY SERIOUSLY is excellent

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Goodbye weird story where everything is contrived to show off maximum titty
and also maximum man-rear end when the principal goes on his amnesia adventure, he's the best character by far

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think the guy just enjoys drawing titty, actually.

He does. Insecure dorks just can’t handle it and have to make weird theories that discount every manga he’s made beside me and the devil blues.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
can a thing be good, AND have titty

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no because sex is bad and shameful

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes.

Next question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

prison school owns and i hope the mc ends up with hana and admits his pee fetish