Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Looks like it was NiceHash that just lost all the Bitcoins in their wallet. 50-60 Million USD worth gone, gone, gone.

Great news for Bitcoin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Looks like it was NiceHash that just lost all the Bitcoins in their wallet. 50-60 Million USD worth gone, gone, gone.

Great news for Bitcoin!

Yes, a true entrepreneur was made $60 million richer today.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I'll e-suck someones e-dick for like 0.01 bitcoin?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol I got owned in the nicehash hack. Guess I won't be buying the full GFE this weekend.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I trade Bitcoin with CFD. So I can use 1x, 5x, or 10x leverage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_for_difference
I put in $10,000 about a week ago. At 10x leverage.
Bitcoin has gone up by over $3000 a coin since then.
That has made me $30,000 in a week - and if I want I can cash out straight to Paypal within one day, I've done it loads of times. I have no wallet and know gently caress all about the blockchain.
The USA don't allow CFD trading. What a shame.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Minimalist Program posted:

"invest money in my rear end".

Still waiting for deposit information

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ohnonotme posted:

I trade Bitcoin with CFD. So I can use 1x, 5x, or 10x leverage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_for_difference
That has made me $30,000 in a week - and if I want I can cash out straight to Paypal within one day, I've done it loads of times. I have no wallet and know gently caress all about the blockchain.

holy poo poo

You don't want to hold anything that is leveraged because of beta slippage and holy poo poo 10x leverage my dude

holy poo poo especially for something as volatile as BTC my dude

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 6, 2017

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

poverty goat posted:

Bitcoin is dumb because I can't figure out how to use a website that junkies and Bitcoin libertarians navigate and use successfully every day

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

revwinnebago posted:

I call this, "Coffee and Blockchains."

[Fade from black, we're looking through a window. An obese man wearing glasses and camo is trying to purchase a coffee at a counter. A Neon Sign reads "The Mt. Gox Deli". Cut to the Purveyor standing behind the counter with a friendly smile.]

Purveyor: "One large coffee, with tax that'll be $3.13. Cash or credit?"

Obese Man: (wheezing) "I only pay in Bitcoin."

Purveyor: "No problem. According to our live ticker then, that'll be $25.62."

Obese Man: "This is outrageous! Bitcoin is the next-generation store of value!"

Purveyor: "Of course, sir, but we're just letting you know the processing fee."

[Obese Man nearly knocks the chip reader over with his fat folds as he pays with Android NFC. A beep is heard.]

Purveyor: "Okay and we'll just need to wait for a Chinese miner to verify the blockchain."

[At least three minutes elapse. Another customer gets in line, and there is some humorous body language as the customer realizes what's going on. He and Purveyor silently mock Obese Man, then look away when he almost catches them. A different beep is heard.]

Purveyor: "Oh I'm sorry, your payment went through but the price of Bitcoin has crashed and the fees have skyrocketed, so you still owe us $13."

[Obese man is sweating profusely, he taps his phone again, we hear a beep, and a few minutes elapse. More customers gather, and soon everyone except Obese Man is in on the joke. They all look away, a beat, and the second beep.]

Purveyor: "Ah! I'm sorry. Your payment cleared, but it looks like fluctuations in the market mean you still owe us $5.03."

[The patrons are now hiding side-splitting laughters, someone runs to the bathroom and distant laughing is heard.]

Obese Man: "Excuse me, the Blockchain is the first truly trustworthy system to ever come to banking, it is revolutionary."

Purveyor: "Of course sir, but there is the matter of payment."

[It has been almost 10 minutes since Obese Man entered the shop, and it will have been almost 15 by the time this transaction clears. By this time customers are getting impatient.]

Purveyor: "Ah excellent, it looks like there has been a slight market adjustment and you have now overpaid by $23,405.23! Per the written policy you can see on the sign behind me, we will be keeping this difference and we thank you for your generous tip."

Obese Man: "This is unbelievable! How can you expect to get away with this!?"

Purveyor: "Such a transaction would have been entirely anonymous, sir. Therefore I have no idea what you may or may not be referring to. Next?"

[The next customer in line pays for a coffee in cash. In overlapping dialog the transaction takes all of five seconds, as Obese Man waddles out huffing. Purveyor realizes Obese Man has forgotten his coffee.]

[end scene]

should've bought a ham sandwich imo

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ohnonotme posted:

You must have been sweating bullets when it went down to $8500 and you owed $20,000.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

COMRADES posted:

holy poo poo

You don't want to hold anything that is leveraged because of beta slippage and holy poo poo 10x leverage my dude

holy poo poo especially for something as volatile as BTC my dude

The platform I use (Etoro) allows you to set a "Stop Loss" price, if the value of your position hits that, it terminates the contract and you get the money equal to the value it was at when it hit your "stop loss". I keep it quite tight - normally about 30% for bitcoin.
And I only ever trade with 10x leverage - it's a lot more fun and profitable. Yes, I've been caught out a few times in the past, but so far this year (actually, 6 months) trading Bitcoin and stocks has made me 4x my annual salary.
All through the magic of CFDs. No wallets, no dodgy exchanges, no broker fees, BIG spreads (which can be a pain), plenty of money in the BANK, not in Bitcoin.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Lote posted:

You must have been sweating bullets when it went down to $8500 and you owed $20,000.

No, my stop loss kicked in and ended the position. So it's not something I worry about. In fact Etoro won't even let you set your stop loss price low enough that you could go into debt.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ohnonotme posted:

No, my stop loss kicked in and ended the position. So it's not something I worry about. In fact Etoro won't even let you set your stop loss price low enough that you could go into debt.

What if you can't find a buyer at the stop loss price?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ohnonotme posted:

The platform I use (Etoro) allows you to set a "Stop Loss" price, if the value of your position hits that, it terminates the contract and you get the money equal to the value it was at when it hit your "stop loss". I keep it quite tight - normally about 30% for bitcoin.
And I only ever trade with 10x leverage - it's a lot more fun and profitable. Yes, I've been caught out a few times in the past, but so far this year (actually, 6 months) trading Bitcoin and stocks has made me 4x my annual salary.
All through the magic of CFDs. No wallets, no dodgy exchanges, no broker fees, BIG spreads (which can be a pain), plenty of money in the BANK, not in Bitcoin.

lol

Ohnonotme posted:

lol

quote:

No, my stop loss kicked in and ended the position

Also - so you didn't really make $30k then did you bc if a stop loss triggered you obv had some losses.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ohnonotme posted:

And I only ever trade with 10x leverage - it's a lot more fun and profitable.

just lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
eToro hmmmmm

https://twitter.com/eToro/status/935927006633570306

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

But they're upfront in telling you

Highly volatile investment product. Your capital is at risk. This is not investment advice.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Can you sell European calls?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Marketing-backed fiat currencies/securities

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ohnonotme posted:

Let me just quote myself:

amotea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3T4EutKWyc
Where's all my money? Where's all my money gone???

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

i have .03 bitcoin now

how to make it into liquor?

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011
On the surface, the current Bitcoin bonanza reminds me of the Beanie Baby craze back in the 90s. Everyone and their dog was into it until the day when no one cared anymore.

On the other hand, had I put $100 down for Bitcoin on Monday, by today, Wednesday, I'd been up $20. By Friday, who knows. Seems too good to be true.

The bubble has to burst eventually... right?

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

COMRADES posted:

lol

lol

Also - so you didn't really make $30k then did you bc if a stop loss triggered you obv had some losses.

It hit my stop loss on one of it's little dives it likes to take - my phone beeps to tell me, I look at the values and charts, and re-buy when it starts to move up again. Regardless, it hasn't hit 8000 this week!
https://www.coindesk.com/price/

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This is actually pretty hosed up right here, if the 10x leverage wasn't already.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pugzilla posted:

On the surface, the current Bitcoin bonanza reminds me of the Beanie Baby craze back in the 90s. Everyone and their dog was into it until the day when no one cared anymore.

On the other hand, had I put $100 down for Bitcoin on Monday, by today, Wednesday, I'd been up $20. By Friday, who knows. Seems too good to be true.

The bubble has to burst eventually... right?

poo poo, I know a guy who is a huge bitcoin evangelist, and back in like 8th/9th grade he had tons of Beanie Babies before moving on to the Star Wars Episode 1 toys.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

amotea posted:

Let me just quote myself:

That's an exchange, where you are buying bitcoin. I use Etoro, where you are placing a Contract For Difference - you don't "own" anything. They make their money on the huge spread between buying and selling prices. Regulated by the FCA in the UK.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

COMRADES posted:

This is actually pretty hosed up right here, if the 10x leverage wasn't already.

I want to do it, but there's no way that you walk away with money.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Well, I took out $20k three weeks ago to buy a car - one day to get to Paypal, about a week for Paypal to make sure I wasn't money laundering, and then straight into my bank account.
I don't mess with altcoins as they are even worse than bitcoin in terms of volatility, but otherwise I'll trade anything on a CFD - oil, gold, companies on NASDAQ that I have never even heard of - and I'm walking away with money.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Lote posted:

What if you can't find a buyer at the stop loss price?

You don't find a buyer - you have nothing to sell. You don't OWN anything. read up on CFDs.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ohnonotme posted:

That's an exchange, where you are buying bitcoin. I use Etoro, where you are placing a Contract For Difference - you don't "own" anything. They make their money on the huge spread between buying and selling prices. Regulated by the FCA in the UK.

Okay mate.

quote:

Our CFDs are not listed on any exchange. CFDs involve greater risk than investing in on-exchange
products, as market liquidity cannot be guaranteed and it may be more difficult to liquidate an existing
position.

quote:

To limit losses, we require you to choose ‘stop loss’ limits. These set limits to automatically close your
position when it reaches a price limit of your choice. There are however circumstances in which a ‘stop
loss’ limit is not fully effective – for example, where there are rapid price movements, or market closure.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

amotea posted:

Okay mate.

And they are telling the truth - you don't buy bitcoin or stocks, neither do Etoro. It's basically gambling on the stock market. With leverage.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
you can't just TURN electricity into MONEY

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

amotea posted:

Okay mate.

And no, sometimes a stop loss order doesn't fully protect you - for instance, I had $3k on Toll Brothers, as they declared their quarterly earnings yesterday. The earnings report was great, but as soon as the stock market opened, it BOMBED right away. I lost $12k.
You just have to realise you can never read the market, Earnings Releases are great times to make money (or lose it) - but you also get pre and after market trading, insider trading, etc. that can affect that. It's not intuition, it's not magic, it's the stock market or bitcoin.
If NK launch another missile, the whole market drops. If Trump threatens them, same again. People tend to sell up and put money in gold when that happens - so your stocks take a plunge.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
It's true, gambling is fun when you win. I didn't believe it either.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

scott zoloft posted:

you can't just TURN electricity into MONEY

The last time I tried that was when Bitcoin was in the "few cents" range. I'm not an IT person, so I just bought them from MtGox. Then sold them a while later for a HUGE 200% profit. I think I bought $200 worth, got $600 back after waiting ages.
Now I pretty much day-trade, I'm not really into holding stuff long term, I want a profit and I want it within about 48h, and I want it to be a lot. Facebook, for instance - I think that was my first "big" win. It was their earnings release day about 6 months ago, I had $200 on them, and I got $600 in nine minutes, then sold and went onto the next share. This quarter they went to poo poo on ER day.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Who is tipping you fractional coins to post here out of curiosity

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Waffle House posted:

Who is tipping you fractional coins to post here out of curiosity

I have a sneaking suspicion.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lmfuckingao at the transition to 'well of course it isn't really a currency, it's a store of value' now that it's become obvious it's a hilariously terrible currency (of course it's also a hilariously terrible store of value). :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Nope, I am not him - this is the only account I have ever had on SA. I'm just posting my experiences because there is so much bullshit out there. And it's looking like Bitcoin may hit $14k soon - or it might collapse down to £6000.
Just look at the coindesk chart - that is ALL today. Up over 16%. https://www.coindesk.com/price/
I could cash out now and be happy, but I am a greedy, unpleasant man - so will just set my stop loss at about -30%, go to bed, and see what the morning brings.