Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

If he's playing both, I'll watch it 100000 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I still wish we got to see the robot world war two human torch.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I think the best way to incorporate X-Men into the MCU would be to have SHIELD fully aware that mutants exist, but an arrangement was made to keep out of their business. WHY that would happen though is what I can't quite sort out; you would expect SHIELD to show the same regard to mutants as they do Inhumans, registering them and checking in and handling threats, so you'd need something really convincing to keep them out of things like that. Any ideas? And don't just say "Xavier mind-powers them all."

Xavier was working with CIA contacts since the 60s. Old mannered money working hand in hand with govt to keep things private makes a lot of sense, why not.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I still wish we got to see the robot world war two human torch.

Pretty sure his body is one of the things on display at the Stark demonstration in First Avenger.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

Are there really idiots that take CinemaSins seriously?

Goons. Other than that, not even CinemaSins take themselves seriously and will even point out that some of the movies they make videos about is really good. Sometimes they even point out why the movie is good.

zoux posted:

Me: I believe that corporate mega-conglomerates lead to anti-consumer monopolies and should be opposed as a matter of principle.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe they can get Ridley Scott away from Alien movies. "Its not about aliens anymore, its about AI" gently caress you, time to put you in a home you can't escape from.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I watched the one on Metal Gear Rising and when he took off like five “sins” when Jetstream Sam unsheathed his sword I felt like I understood how seriously it wasn’t to be taken.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I know that there's the danger of one company having such a huge monopoly on a gigantic amount of ip's but if it happens, there's the real possibility of having a goddamn dr. doom movie that's faithful to the source material and I would pretty much sell my soul for that to happen.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://twitter.com/sebpatrick/status/938404457129398273?s=17

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Too saturated

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/kyIerayner/status/938294717934198785

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's something I don't get about people who talk about how Marvel Studios' movies "have no good villains".

I'm just sitting here wondering, compared to what?

Elsewhere you have stuff like Defoe's Norman Osborn and Molina's Otto Octavius, Ian McKellan's Magneto, and Heath Ledger's Joker, but beyond that, what else is there? Everything aside from that is decades old and potentially very dated. "Batman Begins" Ra's isn't bad by any means, but I wouldn't call him one of the most memorable or compelling villains of super hero movies. Aside from that, you have the bloated villain roster of Spider-man 3, The Amazing Spider-man's bad guys, whatever gray CGI menace is appearing in a DCEU movie this time, and... Bane, who is more memorable as a meme than for anything that's in the actual movie.

I guess Ares is pretty cool.

Marvel has more than its share of dud villains, but there's also a lot more Marvel movies than other franchises. But we've also gotten memorable bad guys like Stane, Loki, Zemo, Hela, Ego, Vulture, and Nebula. I think it averages out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't remember who Stane is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

The guy really angry about Tony's ability to craft from boxes of scraps in a cave.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Roth posted:

The dude

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

The guy really angry about Tony's ability to craft from boxes of scraps in a cave.

That bald white dude? That guy's as generic as they come for MCU villains.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Besides Loki and Stane, the latter of which is one of the prime examples of bad villains when people talk about that so I don’t think many agree with you there, all of those are from the last year only.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also, I was pretty unimpressed with Hela. Maybe if she wasn't competing with Jeff Goldblum she'd be more memorable, but she was really overshadowed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's partly that they cast great actors and then often don't use them to their full potential. Red Skull is fine but it's really hard to avoid remembering Weaving also played one of the most memorable villains of the past 2 decades.

Plus you can look beyond comic book movies to characters like Hans Landa, Kylo Ren, Anton Chiugh (speaking of actors the MCU underused) and Dolores Umbridge.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 7, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think the main problem with Marvel is they keep using these great, classic villains and getting reallt top tier actors, and then they barely let them do anything and kill them off at the end. Stane, as an example, really isn't memorable and doesn't do much, despite Jeff Bridges being loving great and doing what he can with the role. See also Mads Mikklesen and Hugo Weaving

They don't have bad villains, they just don't let them DO anything interesting most of the time, Loki being the exception

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zod is pretty loving good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In a more serious answer:

Marvel has weak villains because they are largely either jokes, nonentities, Evil Hero, or some mix of the three. They rarely have anything going for them beyond "I am evil, muwahaha" and that actually is a problem. Zemo is probably the best of a bad lot and that's because he's pretty sidelined and has an actual motivation beyond MONEY/UNLIMITED POWAH. Characters like Hela and Ego are memorable but they're just basically evil things for the heroes to beat up at the end of the day. Whatever the poo poo the guy Mads played in Dr. Strange or Evil Ant-Man are even less than that. They are unmemorable despite having great actors playing the role.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Also, I was pretty unimpressed with Hela. Maybe if she wasn't competing with Jeff Goldblum she'd be more memorable, but she was really overshadowed.

Hela’s performance is entertaining but there’s not a whole lot to her as a character.

Forces of nature are lazy ways to get your villain in there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Roth posted:

That bald white dude? That guy's as generic as they come for MCU villains.

At least give him credit for being Jeff bridges.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Im incredibly excited by the prospect of a good F4 movie.

When a hero eventually uses the infinity gauntlet to fix the universe just insert the F4 and X-Men as having been erased but are now back.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They also need to stop using mirror versions of the hero. I mean it's an effective thing sure but we don't need to do it over and over again. It actually lessened my excitement for BP seeing Kilmonger in more or less the same costume.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Zemo is probably the best of a bad lot and that's because he's pretty sidelined and has an actual motivation beyond MONEY/UNLIMITED POWAH.

Loki’s got a 100% legit motivation in Thor and he’s the opposite of sidelined in that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm aware that a lot of them are recent, and I'm not defending the ones that are rather dull. I'm more saying that this is something the genre struggles with to a significant degree, and thus, considering how many Marvel movies there are, there'd be a bit more of them in terms of actual numbers. But there's also more legitimately good ones than... well, every superhero movie released after The Dark Knight came out.

But I don't see how Stane is wasted. He's the perfect foil for Tony, putting on a facade of friendliness and responsibility, when he's even more amoral than Tony was before the accident. Jeff Bridges did an amazing job.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Hela’s performance is entertaining but there’s not a whole lot to her as a character.

Blanchett talked in an interview about how much fun the role was because it asked nothing of her as an actress. Wahtiti only asked that she ham it the gently caress up, and she complied. She said she probably wouldn't have signed up for a really big role like a hero with the Marvel comic book movies, but an easy paycheck for a fun and undemanding job? She was sold.

Marvel movies generally focus far more on the hero(es) than the villains. The villains are devices to play parts in the hero's growth.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Scarecrow was the standout villain in Begins anyway. He was so good they put him in all three movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Loki’s got a 100% legit motivation in Thor and he’s the opposite of sidelined in that.

I assumed the fact that literally every discussion of Marvel villains includes the * "except for Loki" meant that didn't need to be mentioned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even then, Loki in Avengers is just another MCU villain again. The movie leans hard on you already knowing who he is.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Besides DC is handicapped by the fact that they've only had one good movie in the past decade and you're excluding older movies because they might be "dated".

Excluding Forever all of the old Batman movies have great villains.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

purple death ray posted:

Besides DC is handicapped by the fact that they've only had one good movie in the past decade and you're excluding older movies because they might be "dated".

Excluding Forever all of the old Batman movies have great villains.

It's more that I don't think a lot of them hold up. The Burton bat villains are worth talking about, even if Catwoman weirds me out and Returns in general has a bit too much of Burton's "weirdness for the sake of having weirdness", but the Donner Superman villains don't feel like they've aged as well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think recent films have shown that Marvel's gotten a lot better about their villains and the talking point just hasn't faded away yet. The Vulture, Zemo, Iron Man, and Ego were all pretty cool antagonists to me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I love DeVito's Penguin.

I remember Gene Hackman being really good as Lex, but I haven't seen that movie in more than a decade.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

I remember Gene Hackman being really good as Lex, but I haven't seen that movie in more than a decade.

I'm glad they didn't go for a real estate developer who has hair problems and who hates immigrants for the new Superman films.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like I'd like Hackman's Luthor more if he were an adaptation of Funky Flashman instead.

But then again, he wasn't a villain, or a Superman character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Marvel TV shows have pretty consistently had really amazing villains. From what I hear about it, even Iron Fist kinda impressed on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Justin Hammer, best marvel villain

• Locked thread