Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

i own every Bionicle posted:

The only map app available is Apple maps. This would be fine if it were as good as Waze or Google Maps but it just isn't. It rarely does traffic well and about once every six months it will notify me of an accident or police which means the feature is there but it's just never working. I can't set multiple stops on my trip either.

I use Soundcloud and Amazon music a lot and neither of them have a Carplay app. When I hit "Now Playing" from the home screen it's a crapshoot as to whether or not it will actually open and let me see track information or controls or whatever. However it will always open if I open the app itself on the phone. It would be better if I could have the navigation running on the screen in the car head unit and the music app on the phone but it can only show one thing at a time on both displays because it's designed for you to never need to look at the phone when using it, but due to shortcomings you kind of do.

When I open Podcasts, most of the time nothing loads until I take the phone and open it on the phone itself so that it gives it its full attention. Messages and Pandora sometimes do this as well.

Maybe some of this is my fault for daring to use a two year old phone or a cheaper headunit (SPH-DA120) but all in all it really feels buggy and cumbersome and limited and not at all like an Apple experience. Most of the time I use it I need to do something on the phone itself, instead of just leaving it in the console like you'd think you'd be able to.

Yeah it’s still better than most car infotainment systems, and I use it, but I’m disappointed and I feel like this is the kind of area where Apple should do really well.

Maybe it’s the area you’re in but I’ve had no issues with Apple maps in tyol 2017. It’s usually very accurate with traffic times and routes.

Unless my phone is having a period of laggy behavior which happens some times when not connected to CarPlay it’s fairly quick to react. I’ve got a 6+ so it’s not like I have the latest iPhone hardware.

Amazon music is definitely supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

davebo posted:

I'm gonna take this infotainment opportunity to once again bitch about the Microsoft UVO system in my 2012 Optima, just because it insists on playing songs alphabetically by ID3 tag song title, so I edit every song to add the track number before the song title in every album before putting it on my usb drive. If I load Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction and Welcome to the Jungle isn't the very first song I hear you done hosed up Microsoft!

http://ew.com/music/2017/08/11/silent-10-minute-song-itunes/

quote:

On Wednesday, Mezrahi explained the reasoning behind his unique hit. “Hey I released a blank song that will play 1st so that *one* song won’t play every time u plug ur phone into ur car,” he tweeted.

edit: Wait, it plays them alphabetically even after you select a specific album?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I thought I was fancy with my blue and black screen that could tell me what song the radio station was playing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

You're better off with your basic system.

Buying a new car is a horrific challenge of getting all the good mechanical options while avoiding all the garbage "luxury" tech bullshit that was outdated before the car rolled off the assembly line.

For reals get into two decade-old cars of the same make/model/year, one with the infotainment and one without, and see which one feels more dated.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My little $20 Bluetooth aux input receiver is a better interface than any $2000+ infotainment system, and a hell of a lot less flakey than some systems I've used. And it stays as modern as my phone is.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

http://ew.com/music/2017/08/11/silent-10-minute-song-itunes/

edit: Wait, it plays them alphabetically even after you select a specific album?

Yeah if I have an album of files number 01 - Welcome to the Jungle.mp3 etc in a folder, it will list them in the wrong order because it doesn't care about the filename, just the id3 song title.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Guinness posted:

My little $20 Bluetooth aux input receiver is a better interface than any $2000+ infotainment system, and a hell of a lot less flakey than some systems I've used. And it stays as modern as my phone is.

I used to have a Bluetooth receiver in my old car paired with android auto on the phone in a cradle in an easy to reach location in my line of sight. I'd say it does 99% of what connecting android auto through my current cars head unit (Skoda) does and a drat sight easier too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a $200 headunit that has steering wheel remote, bluetooth handsfree/streaming and aux and even plays loving FLAC files from USB or CD.

I dont see the point of all this integrated tech when the stuff that is moving the fastest, navigation and software/services, updates so regularly on your phone itself that anything you bought would be immediately outdated within a month.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

davebo posted:

Yeah if I have an album of files number 01 - Welcome to the Jungle.mp3 etc in a folder, it will list them in the wrong order because it doesn't care about the filename, just the id3 song title.

Do you have the track number attribute populated?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Laserface posted:

I have a $200 headunit that has steering wheel remote, bluetooth handsfree/streaming and aux and even plays loving FLAC files from USB or CD.

I dont see the point of all this integrated tech when the stuff that is moving the fastest, navigation and software/services, updates so regularly on your phone itself that anything you bought would be immediately outdated within a month.

That's the main benefit of Car Play / Android Auto. Absent that, I'll just take bluetooth and a dash mount.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

davebo posted:

Most systems use the id3 tags over file name though?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

That's the main benefit of Car Play / Android Auto. Absent that, I'll just take bluetooth and a dash mount.

Except that carplay is wired only, and eventually will be wireless, and then eventually again will probably open up to allow more apps.

when in reality you can have a good headunit that supports Bluetooth and a dash mount and you dont really need to worry about upgrading to keep up with all those features they trickle out for carplay.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A CD slot phone mount works brilliantly.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Laserface posted:

Except that carplay is wired only, and eventually will be wireless

Not eventually, BMW already offers wireless carplay now. I hope aftermarket / other carmakers do it too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

TheWevel posted:

And Google Play Music.

GM and FCA have the best ICE imho. Which is sad but they're not as bad to deal with on a day to day basis as the choices from Honda or Toyota.

Are you high? Nothing from GM or FCA can touch Audi’s MMI or Volvo’s Sensus infotainment systems, both of which are legitimately good. Close behind them is the latest version of BMW iDrive. GM’s platform and FCA’s one that you find in Alfa Romeos is strictly mid-pack.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

dissss posted:

Do you have the track number attribute populated?
Yep!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Most systems use the id3 tags over file name though?

I don't doubt it, and that's fine, but one of the great things about computers are the amount of options and configurability they afford us. Perhaps it was not cost effective to enable the ability to sort files by their names and easier to only pull information from the metadata? Worth noting that my model had the trim package with the upgraded stereo, so I shudder to think what the base unit can't do.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kimcicle posted:

Not eventually, BMW already offers wireless carplay now. I hope aftermarket / other carmakers do it too.

Alpine already offers one wireless one too, but I mean that the pace that the phones update will probably see those units superceded pretty quickly, and they are just as expensive as a phone, so you may as well have a dumb head unit and a smart phone that you're gonna upgrade every 2 years anyway.

I can almost guarantee you that by the time CarPlay is opened up for more nav apps or features, it wont support older hardware like those found on the market now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The beauty of carplay (and probably Android auto) is that the headunit uses the phones software, not software internal to the head unit. It should be future proofed for several years and even when that finally happens you can still fall back to Bluetooth

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

drgitlin posted:

Are you high? Nothing from GM or FCA can touch Audi’s MMI or Volvo’s Sensus infotainment systems, both of which are legitimately good.

Not high, poor. :smith:

I was recently in my boss' Q5 and the MMI system didn't strike me as anything different than the typical VW stuff. It was fine but nothing great compared to others. It could have also been the base package.

I haven't been in a new Volvo yet.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

TheWevel posted:

Not high, poor. :smith:

I was recently in my boss' Q5 and the MMI system didn't strike me as anything different than the typical VW stuff. It was fine but nothing great compared to others. It could have also been the base package.

I haven't been in a new Volvo yet.

If you’ve got some time to spare, check out Ron Amadeo‘s big feature on infotainment: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/05/the-state-of-the-car-computer-forget-horsepower-we-want-megahertz/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

Are you high? Nothing from GM or FCA can touch Audi’s MMI or Volvo’s Sensus infotainment systems, both of which are legitimately good. Close behind them is the latest version of BMW iDrive. GM’s platform and FCA’s one that you find in Alfa Romeos is strictly mid-pack.

I don’t know, FCA's system that enabled remote driving over the cell network was pretty cool: http://illmatics.com/Remote%20Car%20Hacking.pdf

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shouldn't it be pretty trivial just screen share over WiFi for navigation? I guess you don't get to use the in car touchscreen to control it, but once you set your destination in waze you don't need to touch it again. You can still use voice commands to make hazard alerts etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't forget, it's two way communication. It's not just streaming the screen to the head unit, the touch control inputs have to be transmitted back.

WiFi should work, but you are potentially dealing with variable environments with passing high interference. The user experience can go downhill quickly in some situations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Don't forget, it's two way communication. It's not just streaming the screen to the head unit, the touch control inputs have to be transmitted back.

WiFi should work, but you are potentially dealing with variable environments with passing high interference. The user experience can go downhill quickly in some situations.

At automotive distances wifi between phone and head unit works fine, the reason to not just do two-way screens and touches of the phone UI is that phones and cars have fundamentally different UI requirements, cars can have a wide variety of screen sizes and aspect ratios, and only certain apps make sense on head units. It's dumb as hell that CarPlay only supports Apple Maps, but it's also kind of understandable that Apple has been pretty restrictive about what apps they do support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interference can pop up at even those short ranges. There are certain traffic lights that make my Bluetooth partially drop every time I drive by them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I feel like modern smart stereos are just trying to do too much and failing to do any of it well. Feature lists trump everything which is why there's not any decent simply featured things around that do it well (nobody wants it if it doesn't have bells and whistles).

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status/938833236460912640

So, not like a submarine?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

How would a bed made from carbon fiber stand up? I'd hate to see the repair bill for that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think it must be great to be in marketing and know that whatever campaign you run only has to last til the next car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Domestic Amuse posted:

How would a bed made from carbon fiber stand up? I'd hate to see the repair bill for that.

About as well as a bed made of fiberglass.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sagebrush posted:

About as well as a bed made of fiberglass.

That's... incredibly false.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Holy gently caress did they actually round off the wheel wells?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

They have been squircles for a long time but it looks like they have shifted to being more circular

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Domestic Amuse posted:

guessing the sides and fenders will be composite and the bed itself would be aluminum

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

FINALLY

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BraveUlysses posted:

guessing the sides and fenders will be composite and the bed itself would be aluminum

Actually, I'm suspecting the exact opposite. Composite inside the bed, no more need for bedliners.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Since no one seems to have chimed in on this: I have no experience with Carplay, but Android Auto is goddamn fantastic and allows both Google Maps and Waze navigation. You can also use Pandora through it for music, and since the voice recognition is Google (the same thing as "OK Google"), things like sending a text message by voice actually work pretty drat well. My only complaint, and this is almost certainly a fault of the Uconnect system in the car I'm currently driving, is that it doesn't take up the entire screen and the Uconnect menu bar is still at the bottom. (But it does in the Fords I've been in with Sync 3, so I'm guessing this is just FCA loving things up, and I suppose some people might like having the menu always available).

Speaking of Uconnect, it's supposedly one of the better infotainment options, and yet my experience with it has been atrocious in terms of the Bluetooth - it basically is a crapshoot whether it'll connect to my phone (S7 Edge) on any given start. I have had no Bluetooth problems with any other car or device with this phone, but this loving Uconnect sometimes will connect and sometimes won't. It's especially frustrating because Android Auto still uses Bluetooth for phone audio, so just because it's connected through Android Auto doesn't mean it'll work for phone calls.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
CarPlay SUCKED with my iPhone 6, but owns with my iPhone 8.
Apple Maps isn't bad for the area I'm in (Montreal). I use almost exclusively Maps, Podcast and the Spotify app. Siri integration is great also.

One thing is for certain, CarPlay or Android Auto are much better than whatever system car manufacturers make.
Having the navigation on the built-in screen is also a pretty nice feature for my base Civic hatch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wait, round? like tires are? how is that going to work? the shape of the wheel well will match the shape of the tires?

Rubbish. stick to square wheel arches made out of loving submarines. Round aluminum arches are for pathetic little girls.

e: i've already seen a 2014 Silverado with rust starting to poke through the bedsides. How do they even keep submarines in the water? :iiam:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 7, 2017

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I got to drive a US production spec Stinger GT2 AWD today as part of Kia's dealer training program.

It's cool.

Things I didn't like about the drive
Traffic
Not enough twisty roads
The BMWesque detent in the accelerator travel at about 80% throttle.
The throttle/transmission responsiveness at low RPM even in Sport.

They also brought a Base spec Panamera as a performance and size comparison. The Stinger had more power and smoother but slower shifting (Auto vs DCT) It was also more comfortable over the bumps both in the standard shock settings and the sport settings. Had more cargo space and seating capacity (Porsche is a 4 seater)

The Panamera was clearly the nicer and more high end interior and the difference in digital display size and resolution was clear. I wish they had brought something more in more similar in price point like a 440xi gran coupe. Even with the performance difference almost no one is going to cross shop the panamera with a stinger. Their reasoning was while the Porsche is the dream car, the stinger can be the reality car for an enthusiast customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yo if the Panamera is the dream car and I have 50 grand to spend then the reality car is a lightly used Panamera. :shobon: