Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Monster Pulse? More like Monster A-pulse-calypse, amirite folks? :haw:

Also :lol: @ those people who though Rjinder was going to be the final boss of the comic. Noooo, fixing this poo poo is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Having just caught up on Giant Days, it's interesting about some of the same SGR themes about what behaviour is whimsical fun and what is childish and irresponsible repeated. Ingrid would have fit in pretty well with the SGR gang in 2005 or so, but is now obviously awful, and Esther is pretty repeatedly clobbered by life for being selfish and thoughtless (which she is).

I hope John is ok.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

My insistence that Time Dad is actually future Tim continues to pay off.

You were close-ish!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20171204

:eyepop:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Now that's a loving twist.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Yeah, of all the twists you don't see coming but feel you should have...

Good to see she's still inventing, at least.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So... Is Scout Ellen Ripley's mom?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

That or it's the kid they just had

Still counts :smug:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, I can still say I was right to blame Riley.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Another week, another organ exploding in Oglaf.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Another week, another organ exploding in Oglaf.
'It devolved into sex comedy pretty much immediately' is still the best description not only of the comic as a whole, but also of almost literally every single strip. :allears:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

That puts all those events listed in the computer in a whole different light now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shouldn't those be 'half-sisters'?

Unless Riley remarried...

Somehow I can see the fruits of a Tim-Shelley union being uniquely worse than the one before.

Also it seems like if you wanted to keep your parents together, maybe you should have stopped yourself from interfering in the experiment that blew up your house and led to the breakup in the first place, Scout.

Or it's going to be a double-bluff and it's someone pretending to be Scout, pretending to be Timedad.

I'm guessing...Desmond Fishman.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, I can still say I was right to blame Riley.

Now the question is whether Future Riley sent Future Scout here or not. Or if Future Scout is working with Present Riley.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also it seems like if you wanted to keep your parents together, maybe you should have stopped yourself from interfering in the experiment that blew up your house and led to the breakup in the first place, Scout.

I imagine Scout must have internalized Tim telling her it wasn't her fault, so Scout can't help but lack self-awareness and try to blame her situation on anything but herself. Which is a pretty Tim trait, really.

Thinking back on "Time Dad's" interactions with Tim, something just clicked with me.

Lying to and manipulating Tim...wanting him to cut ties with his current life and the people he knows...doing all of this even if it ruins Tim's life... Isn't Scout doing pretty much what Riley pulled on Tim back in SGR?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Three half sisters? All with Shelly I hope, or maybe Pa Winters was right and Tim is a polygamist.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, there's that answered.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I know any time travel fiction is rife with plot holes, but it seems to me that Scout could just go forward to 2030 and get another fully operational time cane, couldn’t she?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

I know any time travel fiction is rife with plot holes, but it seems to me that Scout could just go forward to 2030 and get another fully operational time cane, couldn’t she?

quote:

It's also possible that she was always as nutty as a granola bar.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, that's a big twist.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Unless her meddling has already destroyed the future/prevented time canes from being made. She's explicitly changed her own past at least once.

Edit: also, hosed with time before her own birth, which seems like an incredibly dumb move. It's not like some distant abstract time thing, either. I'm pretty sure Shelley dying (permanently) would have had knock-on effects on Tim that could have prevented her own birth.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 6, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So basically, every time one of Tim's invention went wrong and caused a disaster, it was actually Scout sabotaging it in the extremely misplaced hope that it would help?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cat Mattress posted:

So basically, every time one of Tim's invention went wrong and caused a disaster, it was actually Scout sabotaging it in the extremely misplaced hope that it would help?

I guess she takes after her mum.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Tim invented Scout so his inventions-to-disasters ratio remains constant

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 6, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So this is a retcon of all of Shelly's weird deaths? And luck potentially I guess due to time loop reset shenanigans?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I feel like blaming Tim for Scout is pretty unfair, when A. she's her own person and B. she's pretty much extending the same logic Riley used when sabotaging Tim in the past.

This is not coming from Tim's side of the family.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you had to have three Shelly-like half-sisters, you'd be a bit stressed out too. Shelly flits through life like a butterfly whose wing flaps cause horrible tornadoes of problems for everyone but her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm pretty happy to blame Riley, too, I think.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

wiegieman posted:

If you had to have three Shelly-like half-sisters, you'd be a bit stressed out too. Shelly flits through life like a butterfly whose wing flaps cause horrible tornadoes of problems for everyone but her.

That's not unfair but attempting to write them out of reality through a decades-long emotional manipulation of your own father, in order to get him back into a relationship that clearly made everyone miserable, that seems like a little much.

Also Riley was pretty much openly training Scout to attempt the time-murder of Shelley Winters earlier in this chapter.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cat Mattress posted:

It sounds like she only picked that specific invention to mess with, at least I hope so. And from how she mentioned that the machine she co-developed with Tim to suck Shelley into hell backfired and nearly destroyed reality, it seems like the scientific gently caress-ups still seem to be on Tim's end.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I feel like blaming Tim for Scout is pretty unfair, when A. she's her own person and B. she's pretty much extending the same logic Riley used when sabotaging Tim in the past.

This is not coming from Tim's side of the family.

While I feel like some of this is to be blamed on Riley, a lot of it still lies on Tim's end. From Scout's accounts so far, she seems to think that the problem lies either with Tim's inventions or with Shelley herself. She might not be aware that she's got a blind spot for Tim and his terrible decision-making.

Tim was the one who decided to leave his family when the experiment blew up. Tim was the one who decided to cheat on his wife with Shelley. Tim was the one who decided to stay with Shelley as her kept man and blamed it all on her when things went south. Scout's biggest enemy here is her dad.

wiegieman posted:

I know Shelley's a huge troublemaker so it's easy to believe that her kids are the same, but I'm not so sure about taking Scout's word at face value here. This is a person with a huge personal beef against Shelley and has admitted to travelling back in time to kill Shelley several times. I just feel that anything she says about Shelley is immediately suspect.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

amigolupus posted:

And from how she mentioned that the machine she co-developed with Tim to suck Shelley into hell backfired and nearly destroyed reality, it seems like the scientific gently caress-ups still seem to be on Tim's end.

It sounds like she's talking about the big hell-portal that Mordawwa had to fix in the last Scary Go Round finale but two.

quote:

Tim was the one who decided to leave his family when the experiment blew up. Tim was the one who decided to cheat on his wife with Shelley. Tim was the one who decided to stay with Shelley as her kept man and blamed it all on her when things went south. Scout's biggest enemy here is her dad.

Riley actually threw Tim out—from "our house, our marriage, Wales."

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

It sounds like she's talking about the big hell-portal that Mordawwa had to fix in the last Scary Go Round finale but two.

Yep, that's what I was thinking too. I guess Scout wanted it to open a small portal to suck Shelley in, but Tim messed with it so instead it became a huge hell portal that almost destroyed everything.

But hey, at least the portal disintegrated Rich Tweedy. That's a net positive. :v:

Rand Brittain posted:

Riley actually threw Tim out—from "our house, our marriage, Wales."

Okay, fair point. I was just thinking of the post someone made before about the theory that Tim took the blame in that situation so he had an excuse to leave his family without actually confronting Riley about manipulating him and separating him from his previous life.

But I feel the other bad decisions I mentioned still fall on Tim.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think anyone in this whole sequence of events could be accused of being reasonable or responsible. Sorting out all the blame is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, but the woman from the future who's been willfully sabotaging things is surely mostly in the wrong here (although it does make you think about what original timeline Tim was like).

That barcode on her arm makes me think that there's also some kind of apocalyptic hellfuture involved in this, but it's also possible that this whole thing was just a trick to add another character into the mix without having to wait for Scout to grow up.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

amigolupus posted:

Okay, fair point. I was just thinking of the post someone made before about the theory that Tim took the blame in that situation so he had an excuse to leave his family without actually confronting Riley about manipulating him and separating him from his previous life.

But I feel the other bad decisions I mentioned still fall on Tim.

That's... the exact opposite of what his motives were repeatedly made clear to be.

though I guess the comic has now gone and vindicated all the goons who were saying it was all Scout's fault for blowing up the house and Tim is blameless for leaving a small child alone with a house-exploding machine

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wait, does this mean that Tim was never actually a mad scientist at all?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mildly perturbed scientist

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Wait, does this mean that Tim was never actually a mad scientist at all?

the guy was introduced trying to pitch his glow-in-the-dark duck

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

That's more of a poorly marketed scientist.
The threshold from 'eccentric, kind of useless' to 'mad' is pretty much the point at which your invention detonates, flees into the night, or learns how to shiv.

EDIT: and if we're meant to believe that all the detonations etc. are the result of Scout-from-the-future, then Tim is just a really weird inventor, not a natively dangerous one.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 6, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I find it necessary to point out that glow-in-the-dark bunny rabbits are a real thing.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah but we've seen Tim's design philosophy too, those lab animals glow from fluorescence not cherenkov radiation

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Sword Interval was pretty funny today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cat Mattress posted:

The Sword Interval was pretty funny today.

That dick totally deserved it after what he forced Reg into doing.