Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pug Rodeo posted:

I didn’t mind them either, but gently caress Skyward Sword and it’s MotionPlus controls.

SS controlled great for me, it was the overworld design that I wasn’t too keen on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tap my mountain posted:

What's the trick, are you supposed to swing or lift?

Its a small upwards flick. It really isn't hard to nail down with a few minutes of practice.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Real hurthling! posted:

Make sure your first 2nd ring affinity chart purchase is canceling arts into other arts cause it is extremely necessary imo to making the combat fun

I want to say that I put off this upgrade for too long and it makes a huge difference to combat. Now I'm pulling out full Blade Combos in the first 30 seconds of a fight and enemies are melting a lot more quickly.

Normally, you wait until the last hit of your auto-attack and then chain in a Driver Art (XYB) to add a lot of extra boost to your special meter. Then you auto-attack again and use your other Driver Art. With the cancel unlock, you auto-attack until your last hit, then chain all 3 arts together, and every one will have the same "last hit of auto attack" boost. Then you chain that last one with a blade switch and immediately start chaining your other weapon's Driver Arts. Then you switch in your 3rd blade and start with that one. And by that time you most definitely should have a level 3 special ready to go that you can also chain into.

Bonus points if you can use your allies to fit in a full Blade Combo during that sequence where you finish it off with your level 3 special.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Also, one thing people keep saying here is that your Blade Combo requires you to go level 1, then 2, then 3. That is incorrect. It is actually 1+, 2+, 3+. You can start off with a level 3, follow up with a level 2, then finish with a level 4 and it all counts.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I had real issues with the, what you want to call it, the circle attack in smo when poo poo was happening, but I am a retard who had a lot of problems with the final level so my opinion is probably not worth mentioning.

Yet here I am?

I kinda wish there was a good "realistic" racing game for the switch, not like a gran turismo thing necessarily but something with real cars that isn't a crap mobile port.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I'm buying my wife a switch for Christmas so she can play mario, are there any accessories that are recommended for stocking stuffers?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'm buying my wife a switch for Christmas so she can play mario, are there any accessories that are recommended for stocking stuffers?

A pro controller and a gift card with enough money on it to buy Snipperclips

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Screen protector ($8 for a two pack of AMFilm), a carrying case, pro-controller, SnipperClips

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Is the pro controller really worth the cost? $60+ seems drat steep, I was going to just try to see how SMO feels with the two joycons, and maybe pick up a cheap $20 "pro" controller that doesn't have the motion or rumble if I don't feel the motion is really needed.

Looking at something like this to replace the $65 pro (no motion, no rumble): https://www.amazon.com/Wired-Contro...itch+controller

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

What's the trick, are you supposed to swing or lift?

I personally use a lift. It was weird to get used to, but it's necessary to get it consistently if you don't want to throw away good runs of the Luncheon Kingdom race. Then again, I use joycons, so maybe the motion is different for a pro controller?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

You want the motion in my opinion for other games later on for the gyro aiming, also the hd rumble is pretty decent imho.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

fargom posted:

Is the pro controller really worth the cost?

100% yes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fargom posted:

Is the pro controller really worth the cost? $60+ seems drat steep, I was going to just try to see how SMO feels with the two joycons, and maybe pick up a cheap $20 "pro" controller that doesn't have the motion or rumble if I don't feel the motion is really needed.

Looking at something like this to replace the $65 pro (no motion, no rumble): https://www.amazon.com/Wired-Contro...itch+controller

I don’t think it’s worth it unless you find joycons in the grip uncomfortable since the dpad on it is bad. There’s some reports that newer models fix that though such as the Xenoblade 2 Pro Controller.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Frankston posted:

The Switch is getting Bridge Constructor Portal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O-hLjRiBoY

Hey I'll take more wacky portal whatever it is

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t think it’s worth it unless you find joycons in the grip uncomfortable since the dpad on it is bad. There’s some reports that newer models fix that though such as the Xenoblade 2 Pro Controller.

wait, seriously?
Maybe I need to pick one up then.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

fargom posted:

Mario plays great with the joycons & in portable mode. Now that I'm playing Splatoon2 I'll probably get a pro controller eventually but you really don't need one for SMO

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

organburner posted:

wait, seriously?
Maybe I need to pick one up then.

Someone earlier in the thread posted that they apparently added some plastic under the housing to prevent inaccuracies that they had previously.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The pro controller is a very nice controller but I only got one because I slept on getting my launch night joy cons fixed until now when I'm hooked on the mario brothers

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Someone earlier in the thread posted that they apparently added some plastic under the housing to prevent inaccuracies that they had previously.

That D-pad has killed me so many times in puyo puyo tetris...
Wonder if I can return my normal pro controller, need to check if the store will take it back since the D-pad is kinda poo poo.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
The joycons in the grip is passable. However, the Pro Controller is much more comfortable to use. And you want the motion controls, especially for games that need them (like Zelda). Its worth the price tag.

I haven't had much miss-read issues with the dpad like people report, so maybe it is an inconsistent issue. Then again, both my Xbone controllers have that issue and others act like its dpad is the second coming of the SNES controller, so who knows. And I have definitely put more hours into my Pro controller than both of those Xbone controllers combined, so I would have noticed it if mine had that issue, so YMMV on that problem.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 7, 2017

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Wow the Xenoblade 2 Pro Controller is like $75 bucks, maybe i'm just a cheap bastard but i'll be dead in the grave before I pay that much for a controller.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

fargom posted:

Wow the Xenoblade 2 Pro Controller is like $75 bucks, maybe i'm just a cheap bastard but i'll be dead in the grave before I pay that much for a controller.

the DS4 and XB1 controllers start at $60, so it isn't much more and has a NFC reader (plus the Nintendo markup). So while it is more expensive, it isn't crazy more. Still cheaper than the XB1 Elite controller.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I bought the switch for local MP and have two pairs of joycons and one pro and I need one more dual joystick setup to have full chaos in neurovoider god damnit!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Sellars/status/938383513535025152

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

organburner posted:

That D-pad has killed me so many times in puyo puyo tetris...
Wonder if I can return my normal pro controller, need to check if the store will take it back since the D-pad is kinda poo poo.

The dpad for the Wii U Pro Controller is probably the best one ever so it’s disappointing they hosed up for Switch.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I haven't owned a console in a while, are third party controllers still as a rule poo poo-stained duct-taped containing pieces of poo poo?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I've purchased every Dark Souls game, on purpose or inadvertently, like twice. Yet, I've never played more than an hour, tops, of DS1. I want to like it so bad and the Switch seems like the perfect place for it.

organburner posted:

I haven't owned a console in a while, are third party controllers still as a rule poo poo-stained duct-taped containing pieces of poo poo?

are there third-party controllers? Other than that Hori wired one?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

apparently they unfucked the switch pro dpads as of the xc2 special editions at least.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll laugh if they don't announce Dragonball FighterZ as well

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

organburner posted:

They’re mostly poo poo still but there’s a few decent ones such as ones from Hori and 8Bitdo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So uh has Bamco actually announced that 5 Game feat. some Nintendo support Event is happening or is this 100% from one guy on Twitter?

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
gently caress Darksouls 1 on Switch? I can't wait for the motion controlled rolls!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

fargom posted:

gently caress Darksouls 1 on Switch? I can't wait for the motion controlled rolls!

If you don't perform it just right you do a fat roll regardless of your equip load

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

404notfound posted:

If you don't perform it just right you do a fat roll regardless of your equip load

Waggle for I frames

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

When are we supposed to find out if those Namco rumors are real? Tomorrow at the Game Awards?

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Bamco's hosting its own event on the 15th.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

holy gently caress

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

When are we supposed to find out if those Namco rumors are real? Tomorrow at the Game Awards?

nah, it will be at Jump Festa

speaking of game awards, have we heard there will be any game announcements there?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FireMrshlBill posted:

the DS4 and XB1 controllers start at $60, so it isn't much more and has a NFC reader (plus the Nintendo markup). So while it is more expensive, it isn't crazy more. Still cheaper than the XB1 Elite controller.

It has nfc and better gyro than DS4, and far better gyro than Xbox One controller (cause it has none), and an exponentially better battery than either, and better rumble than either, for $10. It does have drawbacks though: triggers are digital only, and there is no headphone jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

eonwe posted:

nah, it will be at Jump Festa

speaking of game awards, have we heard there will be any game announcements there?

Kojima and Del Toro will be there so we'll probably get a new Death Stranding trailer, hopefully they'll show some gameplay.

• Locked thread