Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Why are we assuming Scout definitely meant "half-sisters" when she said "step-sisters"? Riley remarrying doesn't seem impossible.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
She said "half-sisters". It could still be other kids from a second relationship Riley has, though. That'd be a fun twist.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cause Allison has gone back and changed it to half sisters now.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dabir posted:

Cause Allison has gone back and changed it to half sisters now.
Ah, alright. That's what I get for reading first drafts.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
guess granny slough aint gonna be quite so lonely anymore

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
whoops wrong thread

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, I've been reading Demon Street, a comic about kids who travel to a mysterious demon world via streets that just kind of replaced existing ones with demon ones. It's real cool! But also real weird. The weirdest part, tho, is that it changes art styles extremely often for no reason that I can tell. Like, the character designs stay the same but suddenly the art style has changed entirely. Is there any rhyme or reason to these changes?

:iiam:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

copying whatever cartoon they're watching at the time

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Hey what's with this "Dinosaur Comics" crap? The guy only drew one comic!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FunkyAl posted:

Hey what's with this "Dinosaur Comics" crap? The guy only drew one comic!

Am I missing something totally obvious, then? 'cause I could be dumb, that is always a possibility.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Demon Street's art shifts are sad because I really like the first style the most.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Mors Rattus posted:

Am I missing something totally obvious, then? 'cause I could be dumb, that is always a possibility.

jeez pal don't call yourself dumb! its just goofing around on computers

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Demon Street's art shifts are sad because I really like the first style the most.

A couple of comics I've seen have done that lately. Thunderbird started out with a really neat and detailed art style that got me hooked on it, but then it abruptly changed to its current flat pastel style and it just killed my interest in continuing with it. Which is a shame because it's got a really nifty premise.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

Mors Rattus posted:

lol no you're not dumb. shifting art styles are just what webcomics do, because normally they're made by artists who haven't fully developed their style yet and aren't under any corporate pressure to keep it all consistent - so, they experiment. if there's something about a particular experiment that you really like, you should let the artist know - they might work it into their permanent illustration style, which will solidify eventually, with practice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

huh why is a zootopia fan comic trendingOH SWEET JESUS

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

huh why is a zootopia fan comic trendingOH SWEET JESUS

It's like the Twitter generation discovering a Chick Tract. :allears:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I feel so old now because this entire time I've been like "huh this seems almost normal for the internet".

Mors Rattus posted:

So, I've been reading Demon Street, a comic about kids who travel to a mysterious demon world via streets that just kind of replaced existing ones with demon ones. It's real cool! But also real weird. The weirdest part, tho, is that it changes art styles extremely often for no reason that I can tell. Like, the character designs stay the same but suddenly the art style has changed entirely. Is there any rhyme or reason to these changes?

:iiam:

I clicked on the cast page because I always do for some reason and I think I spot 4 different artstyles in the same page alone.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It is a Chick Tract for the twitter generation, really. All it needs is the Devil going "HAW! HAW! HAW!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

It is a Chick Tract for the twitter generation, really. All it needs is the Devil going "HAW! HAW! HAW!"

It really is, it's got exactly the same kind of insanity in its DNA. The only thing it's missing is the bible citations lmao

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Can we talk about Control Alternative and deletion? I want updates on the person and comic please thank you

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Herr Tog posted:

Can we talk about Control Alternative and deletion? I want updates on the person and comic please thank you

afaik the comic is the same boring color coded game players and Buckley finally learned to not post on social media at all

e- I went to check and he's doing his video game superhero thing right now, which is eh. He has a twitter he primarily uses for promotions/comic updates and unremarkable grumbling at gaming news.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 8, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In that regard, Buckley has rocketed himself past a lot of other creators.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Regy Rusty posted:

It really is, it's got exactly the same kind of insanity in its DNA. The only thing it's missing is the bible citations lmao

Actually it reminded me of that 200+ page Rescue Rangers fancomic where Gadget is kidnapped and turned into a Manchurian Candidate to assassinate the president. Lots of effort put into a super dramatic story about Disney animals.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Mercury Hat posted:

Actually it reminded me of that 200+ page Rescue Rangers fancomic where Gadget is kidnapped and turned into a Manchurian Candidate to assassinate the president. Lots of effort put into a super dramatic story about Disney animals.

Aaron Diaz's early work really is underappreciated.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ava's demon is going on hiatus again it looks like
it's got some beautiful art, but it's not going to finish until like, 2030, if ever

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
It's not just webcomics, it's very much an art in general thing. An artist's style evolves and changes over time. Usually that does mean there are dips in quality as they try to learn something new and how to make it work and all that. But after they figure it out, they are often in a much better place than where they were before. Some artists do crystallize into one thing and stay there but then they become pretty much unable to do anything else, so that's a mixed bag. Some really good artists are able to develop multiple distinct styles but that takes an exceptionally long time and not everyone can pull that off. Alex Toth is probably one of the more well known examples of that.

For most though, this kind of thing is pretty much core to the art process, otherwise you stagnate and your growth comes to a screeching halt.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

AriadneThread posted:

Is this possibly the least unexpected webcomic-related sentence anybody could write?

I just check Ava's Demon once a month or so: if there's new pages cool, if not, I'm not surprised.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Patreon announced a new service fee for patrons. In short, instead of taking the $1 from a patron and taking their 5% fee and a transaction fee of 'between 2-10%' off of that, leaving a creator with $.85-.93, they're taking the $1 from a patron plus 2.9%+$0.35, to supposedly give creators $.95. Ok, fine, a service fee when they charge your card.
Except they're doing it to every pledge, not every patron. Pledging $30 to 30 creators? You're paying $41.37. Pledging $30 to 1 creator? You're paying $31.22.
According to the blog post, it's because adding payment models (charge-up-front, per-post, and anniversary-based charging, rather than everything being paid on the 1st) will drastically increase the number of fees assessed, taking more money away from creators. They want to de-aggregate the charges, prevent pledge-dodging, and eliminate 'double charging' (where you pledge a pay-up-front creator on the 28th, get charged, then get charged on the 1st when the normal pay-up-front charge hits), but restructuring things this way dramatically increases the number of fees everyone has to pay. They're not going to be charging your card for $35 on the 1st...they're going to be charging your card on the 1st, 12th, 13th, 20th, 22nd, and 30th, depending on when you pledged and the charging options the creator uses.
The big creators won't be as affected--they can afford to lose hundreds or even thousands of $1 pledges when they'll make substantially more with the increased cut. The change discourages many small pledges, and may concentrate the 'wealth' of patrons even more into fewer, higher-priced pledges. No more pledging $1 to 30 different creators...maybe they'd rather pledge $5 to 6 creators.

Creators are...not happy.

Edited to add: Seeing tweets saying that aggregation of pledges was basically the whole point of Patreon--instead of Paypal nickel & diming you for every small donation, you could get your donations bundled up and drastically reduce the fees.
Other speculation includes Patreon was grossly over-valuated, at like 56x its current revenue, so they're desperate to make more money (although de-aggregation seemingly eliminates much of the money the fee change would make, so they're probably hiding something here).
Also they're doing this as Kickstarter is bringing their own creator subscription service, Drip, out into the sunlight (although their payment/fee structure doesn't seem to be public yet). And I bet Paypal's been looking hard at Patreon's success and they can arguably offer creators an even better deal, since they wouldn't have to take a cut beyond their usual fees. And Flattr's already capitalizing on it.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 8, 2017

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

AriadneThread posted:

it's got some beautiful art, but it's not going to finish until like, 2030, if ever

Still going to be done before Outsider

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
quote is not edit

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 8, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Well poo poo I guess I am cancelling all my patreons. Or at least a third of them. I spead my money around and maybe that was unwise but I was already at my cap of what I could afford to give away each month. Thanks for the heads up I guess.

I also aint gonna fuckin do business with anyone that tries to con me about how much I am paying by adding fees AFTER the fact in relation to how much I said I was willing to pay. gently caress those guys. I dont want to have to do funky math every time I do a pledge to figure out exactly what value I should put in to donate the amount I am willing to donate.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I expect most of the people you give money to will be mad at Patreon, not you. Keep an eye out for other services as they get going to capitalize on this.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, creators and patrons alike are going ballistic:

https://twitter.com/KBSpangler/status/938805171232083968

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah this fuckin sucks lmao

see y'all on drip when that comes out i guess

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think I saw it in the LP forum somewhere they posted an updated breakdown of where the increase was going and it mostly seemed to be PayPal.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scaramouche posted:

I think I saw it in the LP forum somewhere they posted an updated breakdown of where the increase was going and it mostly seemed to be PayPal.

Or Patreon themselves - they pocket any fees beyond the first per patron and per creator.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is the Internet actually a good place for comics? If the income of 60% (rough estimate, just ballparkin it here fellas) of successful webcomics is tied into the success and profit-making potential of a third party venture capital nonsense firm with a four year half life that exerts no editorial interest in whatever content it "funds," what does that say about the health of the "industry"? Shouldn't comics be easier to make money from than this? They used to sell this poo poo on f-grade paper for children's pocket change and somehow made enough of a profit/cultural cachet for everyone on earth to know who "superman" is

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ive been hearing talk of some patrons and creators moving over to Flattr, which seems like a better model imo. You choose the amount to pay to Flattr each month, and the portion of that which goes to each creator you are backing (default is even split but you can change that)

They also seem to have lower fees in general which means the creator gets more

Unfortunately for them I cant figure out how to fuckin use it lol

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lots of webcomics used to have their homegrown patron mechanism. Stuff like Sluggy Freelance's "Defenders of the Nifty" thing; or Erfworld's "Toolbox".

Patreon is practical because it allows to use an established common platform instead of having to build you own. Likewise, nearly every webcomic used to host its own discussion forum and now they have a Facebook discussion page.

If Patreon goes under, webcomics will still be around; they'll just have to go back to earlier, less convenient systems until a replacement arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

FunkyAl posted:

Is the Internet actually a good place for comics? If the income of 60% (rough estimate, just ballparkin it here fellas) of successful webcomics is tied into the success and profit-making potential of a third party venture capital nonsense firm with a four year half life that exerts no editorial interest in whatever content it "funds," what does that say about the health of the "industry"? Shouldn't comics be easier to make money from than this? They used to sell this poo poo on f-grade paper for children's pocket change and somehow made enough of a profit/cultural cachet for everyone on earth to know who "superman" is

Print comics were a much more prominent and sustainable medium when entertainment options were much more limited, and therefore the audience and market were much bigger. That's not to say they don't exist now, but if you're an artist who has a particular kind of story you'd like to tell, your options in modern print comics are pretty limited, and they are also threatened by the same type of malicious/idiotic capital interests as being funded by patreon or other similar entities.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 8, 2017