Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks for posting these mod links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Can anyone add @Marchidian to the guild?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
To add to Scy's list, especially ofr endgame DPS players, Combat Metrics is a must. Not only does it give you a nice little DPS meter you can position anywhere, it's main function is that it gives you a comprehensive breakdown of what skills did what DPS, how your uptimes on skills, buffs and debuffs are, and other useful information so you can refine your build and rotation.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also, if you are doing trials, I recommend something that tracks when the coffers reset. I'm using Urich's Coffer Timer. In case you don't know, when you finish a trial, once every 7 days you will get a reward coffer that will have a motif and a purple piece of bound gear. There is nothing in game that tracks the last time you completed a trial, so it's more or less required.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

Also, if you are doing trials, I recommend something that tracks when the coffers reset. I'm using Urich's Coffer Timer. In case you don't know, when you finish a trial, once every 7 days you will get a reward coffer that will have a motif and a purple piece of bound gear. There is nothing in game that tracks the last time you completed a trial, so it's more or less required.

What Pledges Are My Alts does that exact thing.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Scyantific posted:

What Pledges Are My Alts does that exact thing.

poo poo, I swear I can read

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I read something earlier about a discounted subscription.. is that still going on?

Also, if I want to cast spells, only PvE, and not suck..magicka warden or sorc?

Crafting worth it for money or just self sufficiency?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Zaekkor posted:

I read something earlier about a discounted subscription.. is that still going on?

Also, if I want to cast spells, only PvE, and not suck..magicka warden or sorc?

Crafting worth it for money or just self sufficiency?

Dunno!

I vote magsorc, it's really fun, and really durable, especially if you go the pet version of the build. You'll unleash hellish lightning on everything in your path.

Crafting is kinda neither. Like, there's no money in it, because the game has been out long enough that everyone knows at least one master crafter (me), and 100% of crafted stuff is BOE, so we could always make stuff for you. That said, crafting owns, and I love making gear.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Cool. Anyone else know about subscription discount?

Morrowind..not playing warden, not pvping..never played the earlier morrowind TES game so no nostalgia factor..any reason to buy?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Zaekkor posted:

Morrowind..not playing warden, not pvping..never played the earlier morrowind TES game so no nostalgia factor..any reason to buy?

It embiggens the game? :shrug:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I've been playing this game a little more regularly lately. I generally enjoy it, but it has potential to be a tremendous real-life money sink with all the quality--of-life stuff they sell on the store. Are there any hot deals I should know about for getting a buttload of crowns?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

there's really not a lot of QOL stuff? I guess if you mean riding lessons and stuff like that sure, but the only really good QOL stuff is the merchant and banker (to a lesser extent the smuggler but she takes a cut of your poo poo); the only things I've bought from the store are the 3 assistants and I have literally never used the smuggler, all of them with "free" crowns from subscribing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zaekkor posted:

The Morrowind quests are much more of the 'neat little story-arc' type which is a lot more satisfying to me. The mainland quests are much more collecting bear-asses. The main quest on the mainland is all instanced and pretty fine, and there is typically 1 story quest per area, but it's not really the majority like in Morrowind (or Orsinium DLC, which was also well received)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like this addon, which makes the quest tracker better.

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info13-RavaloxQuestTrackerFormallyWykkydsQuestTracker.html

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

MF_James posted:

there's really not a lot of QOL stuff? I guess if you mean riding lessons and stuff like that sure, but the only really good QOL stuff is the merchant and banker (to a lesser extent the smuggler but she takes a cut of your poo poo); the only things I've bought from the store are the 3 assistants and I have literally never used the smuggler, all of them with "free" crowns from subscribing.

You can get the smuggler for completing the Thieves Guild quests too, so you don't have to waste crowns on getting ripped off (I have never used her- I just go to Outlaw refuges and cash in).

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

There's really no reason to ever use the smuggler assistant, if you actually know what you're doing there's never any reason to fence goods to her because even if you're an idiot and get caught trying to steal in those small rear end houses or banks where its impossible to escape from you still couldn't interact with her to sell your poo poo.

Still good if you want some sneaky khajiit following you around however and is technically free.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think I've used Pirarrhi exactly once, and it was when I was clearing out the inventory of a character I was about to delete and couldn't be bothered to go to a refuge.

She's one more NPC to place when designing your house if nothing else. She lives in a lovely tent in my front yard and isn't allowed inside.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I think I've used Pirarrhi exactly once, and it was when I was clearing out the inventory of a character I was about to delete and couldn't be bothered to go to a refuge.

She's one more NPC to place when designing your house if nothing else. She lives in a lovely tent in my front yard and isn't allowed inside.

Farm cat.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Got this as an impulse buy since it was on sale on Steam, grabbed the pack with the Morrowind expansion. Now I'm seeing that there are a lot of other content packs like Clockwork City and stuff, but these aren't actually DLC you can buy on Steam itself - you have to buy a subscription or buy it with in game currency? Is there any point in getting it now or is it all end game stuff?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The only expansions that could be called endgame stuff are Shadows of the Hist and Horns of the Reach (which consist entirely of hard group dungeons), and the others can be done whenever you want. You gain access to all expansions except Morrowind as a subscriber, or purchase the expansions in-game via the Crown Store. (You purchase Crowns through Steam, and get 1500 Crowns per month you subscribe.)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Just picked this up. I'm @BashIronfist which is my account if you can add me to the guild.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TES game confirmed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Man, I will say that the way the main quest starts if you've got Morrowind is pretty clever. I didn't expect that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Using these addons:

Awesome Guild Store
Banker Shut Up - mute any interactable NPC, bankers, all dialogue when crafting
Crafting Preview
Custom Idle Animations - idle profiles for personality
Furniture Preview
LazyThief
Lorebooks
Lost Treasure - shows treasure maps and surveys on world map
Master Merchant - item price estimates
Merlin's Rez Helper - helpful arrow indicating group health/death
Photographer - for pretty screens without HUD
Rare Fish Tracker
Ravalox' Quest Tracker
Skyshards
Zolan's Junk Handler

Awesome Guild Store and Master Merchant are pretty essential if you want to earn proper money. Number one favourite feature of the former is being able to sell directly from your craft bag, so thanks for that recommendation.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 8, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Argh just installed some new addons from scy's list and now I'm getting errors on stuff I already had like AUI and No, Thank You

*edit* Played the UI minigame for an hour and now it's working and looks OK, probably more work to do later.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 8, 2017

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I blind installed his list as a new player and have no idea what half the addons are doing for me but I hear they are good! Guess I will have to play the same mini game.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Being a dps and trying to get pledge runs through LFG is insanely tough!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there any way to get Awesome Guild Trader to show both furniture and blueprints?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

JadaX posted:

Being a dps and trying to get pledge runs through LFG is insanely tough!

I'll admit I haven't tried very hard, but I have never successfully queued for a normal dungeon as DPS.

It's frustrating because depending upon the dungeon and how capable your group is, it's pretty likely you won't actually need a tank or healer. On my DPS magicka dragonknight, I'm tempted to change my back bar to restoration staff and have the bare minimum in healing skills, just so I can justifiably queue as healer.

The most fun I've had running dungeons has been in a 4 DPS group with goons.

Edit: If I want to be the best half-assed back bar Dragonknight healer I can be, what 2-3 skills are most essential? (Molten Armaments, Harness Magicka, and I assume Inner Light have to stay.)

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 9, 2017

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: If I want to be the best half-assed back bar Dragonknight healer I can be, what 2-3 skills are most essential? (Molten Armaments, Harness Magicka, and I assume Inner Light have to stay.)

I'd go with combat prayer and regeneration (any morph), maaaaybe healing ward if you feel you're not able to keep up with the damage with those two alone.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm an Elder Scrolls fanatic and MMO hater, so I've had complicated feelings about ESO since its initial announcement. I played the beta for an hour or two and thought it was garbage, and since then I've been sitting around stewing over the fact that a bunch of filthy MMO casuals are getting exclusive access to all that juicy Second Era lore.

However, lately I've been hearing more and more good things, so I decided to jump back in during the sale. Here are my thoughts so far...

I like it. A lot, surprisingly. It's fun and well made, and seems way more immersive than that beta I hated so much.

The Morrowind standard edition is a smart choice for new players. Vvardenfell, in addition to being a nostalgia-fest, feels more polished than the mainland, as you'd expect from ESO devs with a couple more years of experience under their belts. The quests are simple, but more interesting than I expected. And FWIW, the Morrowind start is soooo much better than what I remember of that Coldharbour bullshit.

After a couple days of playing, I also picked up an ESO+ subscription, because if you care at all about crafting (or just don't want to have to scrutinize every enemy's inventory before you loot it), that crafting bag is a true sanity-saver.

BTW, CraftStore is such a danged good add-on.

ESO+'s crown allowance is nice, and I plan to buy the two assistants, then save enough to buy the DLC in case I decided to let my subscription drop. Then cosmetics or whatever.

So far, nothing has felt too grindy or manipulative or pay-to-win. I was worried that saving enough gold for my first mount was going to be a huge pain, but I had it by my second or third day playing. Now I'm pumping gold into inventory expansions while also saving for a little house in Dres lands (which might take me a week or two).

People complain about the Dungeon Finder functionality, but at low levels, with no specific dungeons I need to grind, I've been having a lot of fun with it. Thirty seconds and *ding* I'm duking it out with some semi-mostly-competent battle buds, earning some useful loot, gold, supplies.

My only real worry at this point is the repetitive nature of MMOs in general. There's not a lot of room for creative approaches to fights; you run in, pop this skill, then that skill, then that other skill, then repeat fifty times until the _________ is dead. Once you find a build/rotation that works, there's not a lot of motivation to stray from it. So I guess we'll see how that element of ESO keeps my interest over the long term. But for now I'm having a blast.

Okay gotta go, NEED MORE FURNITURE BLUEPRINTSSSSS

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild is fun for variety. Pickpocketing and assassination is slightly janky, but when you find a super valuable treasure it feels so good.

What settings would you folks recommend for good FPS in cities. My GPU is good, but my CPU is aging and that sort of bottlenecks things. I'm keeping everything on pretty high right now because I don't know what to change, and I like for things to look pretty.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

poo poo like shadows and grass should always be the first things you turn off, they chew up a lot of processing time (from either cpu or gpu) calculating them, for little added benefit.

Rollersnake posted:

I'll admit I haven't tried very hard, but I have never successfully queued for a normal dungeon as DPS.

It's frustrating because depending upon the dungeon and how capable your group is, it's pretty likely you won't actually need a tank or healer. On my DPS magicka dragonknight, I'm tempted to change my back bar to restoration staff and have the bare minimum in healing skills, just so I can justifiably queue as healer.

The most fun I've had running dungeons has been in a 4 DPS group with goons.

Just get the undaunted skill that's a taunt and call yourself a tank, or don't get the skill and call yourself a tank.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Black Griffon posted:

The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild is fun for variety. Pickpocketing and assassination is slightly janky, but when you find a super valuable treasure it feels so good.

What settings would you folks recommend for good FPS in cities. My GPU is good, but my CPU is aging and that sort of bottlenecks things. I'm keeping everything on pretty high right now because I don't know what to change, and I like for things to look pretty.

Shadows, view distance and particle suppression are the big ones. Set view distance to 80, turn particle suppression to minimum and set shadows to medium. You'll barely notice a differencei nthe look of things but notice a pretty big boost performance-wise.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

MF_James posted:

poo poo like shadows and grass should always be the first things you turn off, they chew up a lot of processing time (from either cpu or gpu) calculating them, for little added benefit.

Just get the undaunted skill that's a taunt and call yourself a tank, or don't get the skill and call yourself a tank.

This. Honestly once you get a decent build and can sustain yourself you can solo most/all normals and tank better than 95% of pubbies you'll find through the dungeon finder. Just slap on a taunt if you're feeling nice and don't want bosses running around and murdering the lowbies/bads you will inevitably get grouped with and call yourself a tank. Queues are instant then!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

When I'm tanking a normal I don't slot a taunt, I just toss newbies a single common dagger between the three of them and tell them only the strong survive.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

When I'm tanking a normal I don't slot a taunt, I just toss newbies a single common dagger between the three of them and tell them only the strong survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wxa8eZXvZA

regaldeacon
Dec 18, 2011
@regaldeacon requesting invite to goon orgy please!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone else getting a lot of crashes lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Anyone else getting a lot of crashes lately?

Not anymore than usual, although since the Clock Work City release I have been getting more crashes then I did before. I do find the game tends to get more and more unstable during the week until Monday mornings, when they do the weekly maintenance. If you've installed a new addon, make sure you are using the most recent version, and maybe try disabling it and seeing if it helps, although I've found for me it's almost always just the game itself.