Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
Judging by Lucifer's expression, I'd say that yes, it does hurt.

Suddenly the Wii Sports fixation makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh huh, we knew that Zarei tamed spirits, but I never guessed that she made them too. That is quite the thing, though it does explain a lot, yes.

Alt-text: Yes it doES HURT.

Anyway this page is great. I laughed at like three or four things at least.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So I'm guessing this is what Zarei's secretive research is all about.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
When I loaded today's page all I could hear was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gJtkFCuJ4w&t=8s

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wonder if she made the train.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Hijack is suddenly great

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GodFish posted:

Hijack is suddenly great

Yes. But also, again, this makes everything make so much sense in retrospect.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh my God, I can't believe there's an in-universe justification for Hijack having such a childish belief system. I loving love this comic. :allears:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh my God, I can't believe there's an in-universe justification for Hijack having such a childish belief system. I loving love this comic. :allears:
Yep. It's because he is a child, basically. Even considering he was probably formed fully able to think and learn and stuff he's still probably effectively younger than the main characters.

Also, rereading this chapter, there is so much hinting at this twist. And a few things that are a bit harsher in retrospect, like Isaac being affected by "Spender's" praising him and Isabel and "Spender" bonding. (Which was probably genuine on Hijack's part to some extent too, really, in addition to him feeling awful about Isabel proclaiming him to be evil and all that.)

Edit: And here we have Zarei almost certainly talking about Hijack and worrying what happened to him, which is likely why she was freaking out about the fly that died after; she was thinking Hijack might have possessed it.

Edit again: Panel two is great knowing what we know now.

Edit the third: This chapter flows a lot better reading it all at once. I mean, I didn't really mind the pace myself anyway, but yeah. Also Baxter knowing about Zarei is super suspicious and weird.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 2, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Edit the third: This chapter flows a lot better reading it all at once. I mean, I didn't really mind the pace myself anyway, but yeah. Also Baxter knowing about Zarei is super suspicious and weird.

Seeing Baxter's dating profile on that page and the talk of Zarei on the latest, they're both 26. They might have been friends as children.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm still laughing my rear end off at "10 hour goth barber ASMR". There's so much characterisation of Ms Baxter squeezed into that one page of internet searches :allears:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
gently caress I just reread from one of those links and it really is so much loving better read all in one go and knowing where it's going. Zach's a star burning too brightly and slowly for webcomics tbqh

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hope he pulls a Brian Clevinger and transitions to Real Comics with something less ambitious and hopefully more editing. Paranatural reads a lot better in bursts than it does page-by-page.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Seeing Baxter's dating profile on that page and the talk of Zarei on the latest, they're both 26. They might have been friends as children.

Spender is also 26. That's basically twice the age of the Paranatural Activity Club. Half a lifetime ago, these adult dorks were dealing with similar shenanigans to these child dorks.

I wonder who in the story is 39?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, so he really does have a house and like Wii Sports.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I wonder who in the story is 39?

Isabelle's grandpa. I know he looks older to us, but he's an anime and that's how they look when they reach their 30's.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Jesus, so that's how the dr. "tames" her spirits. Poor Hijack's brother. You can't play wii sports on your own and have the same amount of fun.

Interesting though that the Jeff part off this arc seems incidental now. I guess hijack had to get into the office because he knew Spender would eventually goi there? Odd that he didn't just stick with the fly or something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
so hijack isn't some mastermind he's just a dumbass kid who took things too far

he is SO grounded

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really like how the art misled us about Hijack's age - I know I at least assumed wrinkliness = being old, so him being basically a child is hilarious in retrospect.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Podima posted:

I really like how the art misled us about Hijack's age - I know I at least assumed wrinkliness = being old, so him being basically a child is hilarious in retrospect.

Really puts into perspective his speech at Johnny while he was Jeff, though.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah for sure, it's very much Idealistic Kid stuff.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Hijack posted:

Whatever you did last night turned the Doc's ghost train into-

quote:

last night

yikes, webcomic time. I guess I assumed a few courtesy days had passed. This is a stressful time in Mayview!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cheston posted:

yikes, webcomic time. I guess I assumed a few courtesy days had passed. This is a stressful time in Mayview!

This is all Max's first week at school

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah the full series so far takes place over like, 3 days maybe?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The real question is if every week is this hectic or if Max is some kind of apple of discord.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So the shadow spirit that Spender is holding, I assume Lucifer just keeps weakening it so it can never fully regenerate and leave Spender (which is why it got loose when Spender did the fusion).

But my real question is how the spirit is affecting Spender's physical appearance, much like how Catnine alters Isaac's hair. Does Spender somehow look even more like a dork?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure the main thing keeping it from healing is the fact that spender has basically the exact opposite spiritual energy color, also probably the reason it's slow to change Spender's body.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Yeah the full series so far takes place over like, 3 days maybe?

I think a few days passed between chapters 3 and 4

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

My guess is that it has altered Spender's body - namely, his eyes. We've never seen him without his shades, after all, and I think that's the reason.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Falstaff posted:

My guess is that it has altered Spender's body - namely, his eyes. We've never seen him without his shades, after all, and I think that's the reason.

I'm fairly certain the shades are the tool that Lucifer resides in, while Spender is directly possessed by the shadow spirit or whatever.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

That's true, but the kids don't use their tools 24/7. Even if he needs to keep his shades on him at all times to keep the shadow spirit in check, that doesn't mean he has to wear them all the time - at night, indoors, etc.

Then again, he is a giant dork. Maybe he just thinks it looks cool. :shrug:

Still, I'm guessing there's something on about his eyes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think Spender does need Lucifer with him at all times, to keep the shadow spirit in check. He also freaked out when Isabel tried to hand him a tool in case it matched his colour - it might have disrupted the balance.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sure, but he could just keep the glasses in his pocket or something. He chooses to wear them instead, because he has correctly realized they make him cool.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Or maybe Lucifer metaphorically keeping the shadow at bay requires him to keep his shadow eyes constantly covered with his lucifer spirit

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Countblanc posted:

Sure, but he could just keep the glasses in his pocket or something. He chooses to wear them instead, because he has correctly realized they make him cool.
They probably work better when being used for their intended purpose.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Falstaff posted:

Update! And yeah, seems like this will have had a pretty obvious effect on Spender's face. Anyone want to cast bets on this statuesque spirit being the only reason he's such a prettyboy? :v:

Also SCRAP seems like some pretty heavy handed foreshadowing that this thing is going to end up coming to Max somehow, as if it having black spectral energy wasn't appropriate enough.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Renaissance Robot posted:

Update! And yeah, seems like this will have had a pretty obvious effect on Spender's face. Anyone want to cast bets on this statuesque spirit being the only reason he's such a prettyboy? :v:
What a neat god! Looks kinda broken through...

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also SCRAP seems like some pretty heavy handed foreshadowing that this thing is going to end up coming to Max somehow, as if it having black spectral energy wasn't appropriate enough.
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-1-page-59
Comically undercutting a common anime trope, or scrambling to cover up a revealing slip?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Lucifer is quoting someone when he says "some freaky shadow spirit", right? Was it Spender?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

fractalairduct posted:

Lucifer is quoting someone when he says "some freaky shadow spirit", right? Was it Spender?

I think Isabel, when they were breaking and entering and opening up earlier this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
So if Isaac actually does just abandon the club, does that make him a small medium at large?