Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Holy poo poo

If you don't buy the Destiny 2 expansion it locks you out of all the endgame content.

gently caress Bungie, never ever buying a game from them again.

Someone quote this post when I say I'm gonna buy D3 in 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played Destiny 2 a lot longer than I played 1 but I’m glad I didn’t buy the expansion because that got old fast. Now back to EDF and Yakuza, which never get old!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Holy poo poo

If you don't buy the Destiny 2 expansion it locks you out of all the endgame content.

gently caress Bungie, never ever buying a game from them again.

Someone quote this post when I say I'm gonna buy D3 in 2019

can you give specifics? Does it actually keep you from doing the preexisting raid, nightfall etc?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yes

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

wasn't that how Destiny 1 was? I know there was some fuckery with not having DLC preventing you from regular base game poo poo or idk

I wanted to give Bungie the middle finger with the bullshit they pulled with D1, which they are doing verbatim for D2. I sold out though. It feels weird/sad saying this but it's definitely not a game where you buy the base game and call it a day in any capacity--it's really built around that model. That is to say, cutting the actual game into multiple pieces to drag out content/season passes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I never realised that's how Destiny 1 was, I just bought the complete version on sale a year later.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Playing games, online, with other people is not remotely worth that.

I'd rather fly solo. No Season Pass to answer to, I ain't a fixture in the microtransaction zoo, no...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I did the Psychic Water sidequest in Prey and I'm pretty much a biotic god now. I don't even have a large selection of PSI powers, but there basically no restriction to using those anymore, even Nightmares are going down easily. But then again, I suppose I am nearing the endgame since I've opened all the locked doors in Talos and Alex has invited me to chat in his suite so it's only appropriate.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

wasn't that how Destiny 1 was? I know there was some fuckery with not having DLC preventing you from regular base game poo poo or idk

I wanted to give Bungie the middle finger with the bullshit they pulled with D1, which they are doing verbatim for D2. I sold out though. It feels weird/sad saying this but it's definitely not a game where you buy the base game and call it a day in any capacity--it's really built around that model. That is to say, cutting the actual game into multiple pieces to drag out content/season passes.

Destiny 1 only closed you out of playlists, not the raid or anything iirc

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon of the week. But gently caress publishers are getting so so so lovely lately. From loot boxes in everything to mandatory loot boxes Fuuuuuuuuck games.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

thankfully all this Battlefront hoopla has brought a lot to light and has the parents going "hmmm"

plus Disney is pissed and you just don't gently caress with Disney or their image. They do like money tho so idk

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The one thing publishers do nowadays that still pisses me off are the 16GB "patches" that take forever to download (Sony needs to upgrade their servers or something) and you know they are that big because the DLC is in there.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 7, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh man x-mas morning! Got my new video game!

"day 1 20 GB patch required for online play"

ah heck

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

oh man x-mas morning! Got my new video game!

"day 1 20 GB patch required for online play"

ah heck

This was me last year when my kids got me a ps4 and ff15.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samuringa posted:

I did the Psychic Water sidequest in Prey and I'm pretty much a biotic god now. I don't even have a large selection of PSI powers, but there basically no restriction to using those anymore, even Nightmares are going down easily. But then again, I suppose I am nearing the endgame since I've opened all the locked doors in Talos and Alex has invited me to chat in his suite so it's only appropriate.

Get ready to enjoy loading screens

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

This was me last year when my kids got me a ps4 and ff15.

let's be real PSN and live are gonna be down for two-three days starting x-mas eve

it's tradition

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

These days I get consistently good download speeds. When something I want to play is going slowly I can pause and resume until it’s fine. Otherwise it’s like a gigabyte per minute.

My Pro is on a wired connection for what it’s worth. I ran and additional coax line from the fios box to the entertainment center and tossed the router there just for that purpose.

edit: If i was cool enough to buy someone a ps4 for christmas i would still preload a week early. One factor you can’t control is massive spikes in service usage.

Still beats playing the PS1 demo disc until The Wherehouse opens on the 26th to get a real
game.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 7, 2017

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I should mention I have a PS4 from launch day that I use a wired connection on and it still takes half a day to update Titanfall 2 or something. Not a Day 1 patch or anything just your usual >5GB patch.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

let's be real PSN and live are gonna be down for two-three days starting x-mas eve

it's tradition

I just got a flashback to Christmas 2007 when everyone fired up Call of Duty 4 for the first time.

Good times.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

thankfully all this Battlefront hoopla has brought a lot to light and has the parents going "hmmm"

plus Disney is pissed and you just don't gently caress with Disney or their image. They do like money tho so idk

it's weird to see so many people champion disney in this when they 100% knew about it all and gave it the ok before launch

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Real hurthling! posted:

Get ready to enjoy loading screens

I get it now why people don't like this part of the game, but I guess that's the best they could do, Talos I is very well designed, it oughta take some time to load.

I check my twitter feed between sections so it's less worse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The universal version of minecraft launched in a very hosed state. Separate ps4 version now the definitive game. 2bn dolla investment lmao

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
My PS Pro suddenly stopped sending audio through my TV. I've swapped HDMI cords, changed inputs, everything. It'll send audio through headphones but not the tv. Audio from other devices works fine on the TV. Anyone know a fix for this?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's weird to see so many people champion disney in this when they 100% knew about it all and gave it the ok before launch

yeah that's why I added the "they like money" bit. Cause they green-lit it all let's be real.

AutomaticPrince posted:

My PS Pro suddenly stopped sending audio through my TV. I've swapped HDMI cords, changed inputs, everything. It'll send audio through headphones but not the tv. Audio from other devices works fine on the TV. Anyone know a fix for this?

This happens to me sometimes but I just have to turn my TV off/on, which I'm sure you've done. Mess with the audio settings on the PS4 itself a bit

Justin Godscock posted:

I just got a flashback to Christmas 2007 when everyone fired up Call of Duty 4 for the first time.

Good times.

That too but I mean, 2014 I think it was, when PSN and I think live got DDOS attacked for days. I think it happens every year but on a smaller scale.

It's OK though because Sony gave us the 1 or 2 day credits (redeemable via code only) for our lost time

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 7, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah that's why I added the "they like money" bit. Cause they green-lit it all let's be real.

o for sure, I just meant that I see a lot of people tout disney as some kind of savior in this situation and it's silly

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol yeah there was a dramatic headline going around that said "SOME IMPORTANT GUY WITH DISNEY MEETING WITH EA CEO EVERY WEEK IN REGARDS TO BATTLEFRONT!" making it seem like it was a backlash from the outrage, but they had been doing it the whole time lol. There was definitely transparency and yeah I get what you're saying, EA is a bit of the scapegoat here

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon of the week. But gently caress publishers are getting so so so lovely lately. From loot boxes in everything to mandatory loot boxes Fuuuuuuuuck games.

Except we live in a world where Bloodborne, Persona 5, and Nier: Automata exist, so...

Manatee Cannon posted:

I no longer support Disney with my dollar, they loving suck. And they will suck even harder after they buy Fox.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Except we live in a world where Bloodborne, Persona 5, and Nier: Automata exist, so...

I no longer support Disney with my dollar, they loving suck. And they will suck even harder after they buy Fox.

Yes good point. Bloodborne counters the point of recent publisher shitiness.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Very true but at least wolverine can go in the new lame mvc game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wolverine's already been leaked for Marvel Infinite thanks to cheeky Capcom insider phone snapshots so it's more likely that they planned for X-Men but only as Season Pass DLC.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'll care about wolverine when he ends up in db figherz

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

The Okami preorder themes are rad as gently caress, goddamn :allears:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh wow didn't realize there was a prime discount for a $20 game too, nice. Guessing no digital pre-order bonus since looks like amazon only sells the physical copy. Haven't played it, but looks like I'm in for a treat; especially from everything I've heard over the years

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

make jonathon the wolverine a playable character and maybe I'd consider buying it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Brother Entropy posted:

i'll care about wolverine when he ends up in db figherz

Hes already there but called yamcha

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

The Okami preorder themes are rad as gently caress, goddamn :allears:

I already have the PS3 version, never played, but those themes are miiiiighty tempting...

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Hes already there but called yamcha

this is true, i'm gonna laugh super hard when yamcha is confirmed S tier

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All the outrage at EA is deserved but it's also kinda disproportionate given how frequent that kind of bullshit is now, and I hope it doesn't let other cases fly under the radar. Activision-blizzard's new shitlord patent was approved not long before that blew up, which I hope has made them wary of implementing it fully (although there's no way they'd invest in patenting it if they hadn't already started development on it)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Which patent is that?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they patented an algorithm that tries to determine what sort of dlc guns you would like to buy in call of duty and will match you up in lobbies with high kda players who use those guns so that maybe you will want to buy them because you're very stupid and think the guns are why the player is good

i think also part of it was giving you soft lobbies to stomp noobs in if you bought dlc poo poo to save you the nine minutes of lobby shopping for your sick youtube vids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_7_o538dM

tl;dr The system they patented gathers telemetry about players and uses it to deliberately skew matchmaking in ways that will push them to buy microtransactions. For example by forcing them to fight much better players who own gear the telemetry indicates they want; and then matchmaking them into games with much worse players on the other team after they actually buy something, so they feel good about the microtransaction and are encouraged to pay more.