Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

dont even fink about it posted:

Trump and his people probably very much like the idea of having an excuse to commence carpet bombing of the rest of the Middle East. Remember this is the administration that thinks the state department is no longer necessary anyway.

probably true to an extent. but i think you are over estimating trumps brain smarts. he wants a "easy" "victory" with his base. mainly the evangelicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yep I'm sure that its about the evangelicals and not the Israel lobby that he's deeply involved with.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax
Even a broken clock spinning in the moral vacuum of a Schrödinger's cat box is right sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PCmKmuuJvo
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42259443

quote:

Israel lobby... Trump and his people

Because Trump likes to helpfully advance the interests of others and doesn't just want attention. He only sides with Israel because they kill browns like he wishes he could.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I'd love to hear the Trump bots' explanation on how this is beneficial to the United States.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's because previous presidents said they would do it and then didn't, so he can prove he's a strong president who courageously keeps his promises, unless those weak cowards Bush and Clinton who were scared of the Muslims.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/938555174272020480

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ISIS is probably dancing down the streets right now. I don't think trump could of given them a better recruiting tool if he tried.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

quote:

The militant Palestinian group Hamas said Trump’s decision “opens the gates of hell.”

But we might just get this.

Pantsbird fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 7, 2017

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Drone_Fragger posted:

ISIS is probably dancing down the streets right now. I don't think trump could of given them a better recruiting tool if he tried.
They would be if they had any streets left to dance in.

E: ISIS will be more than happy to take credit for any attacks done in their name in response to this, so that's still really bad.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 7, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politics/jerusalem-peace-process-white-house/index.html

jesus. even the white house is admitting(sorta) it was massive gently caress up.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I personally think all the leaders of state and organisations that are trying to good cop the situation by moaning about the peace process can go gently caress themselves as well. There's no peace process, Trump's just doing what y'all normally do, only with less tact.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

coathat posted:

Yep I'm sure that its about the evangelicals and not the Israel lobby that he's deeply involved with.

Trump is wildly despised in mainstream Israel advocacy groups. It's the true crazies like ZOA who support him. This is solely about throwing a temper tantrum, firing up his base, and deflecting from his scandals. It accomplishes absolutely nothing, and the people who actually care about Israel's security don't want anything to do with governing the majority of the Old City or the West Bank.

I guess it'll be a good again discredit the accelerationists, in that this will accomplish nothing but a gigantic amount of human suffering?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I never knew 20% of the population was an itty bitty tiny minority.

In what universe are the Druze a threat to anybody?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/938596041426956288

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

In what universe are the Druze a threat to anybody?

Perhaps this is my second rate foreigner's English but I understand that when someone says "tiny druze and arab minorities" that the sentence is to be understood as "tiny (druze and arab) minorities" ergo implying that both minorities are tiny.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
down in the valley the famine goes on
famine up on the hill
you say, don't shoot, seek peace, make love
i say trump must be killed

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
they should have sent a

they DID send a poet :eyepop:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This thread ignoring the Jerusalem Embassy Act and pretending Trump actually made a meaningful policy change and getting pissed off is a great allegory for the world at large doing exactly the same.

Reminder that Trump didn't move the embassy yet, in fact he didn't even set a date for when it's going to be moved, he already postponed doing this twice since he became elected, why assume this time it's meaningful? Trump makes big claims and does nothing, that's the Trump way.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The... other thread being all erudite and echoing Hamas' rhetoric about the seals on the gates of hell being broken yada yada yada is especially funny and truly shows how easy it is for Trump to stir poo poo when everyone is so eager to take the bait. Like seriously, Trump's statement should have been met with a pantomime "jacking off" motion, instead everyone is giving him exactly what he wants. That's good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Embassy_Act

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This thread ignoring the Jerusalem Embassy Act and pretending Trump actually made a meaningful policy change and getting pissed off is a great allegory for the world at large doing exactly the same.

Reminder that Trump didn't move the embassy yet, in fact he didn't even set a date for when it's going to be moved, he already postponed doing this twice since he became elected, why assume this time it's meaningful? Trump makes big claims and does nothing, that's the Trump way.

Words and optics have power in politics.
It doesnt matter if he doesnt do it, the toes wont be unstepped on.
Besides other countries dont have the luxury that American politicians have with Trump, in that they can rely on his low words:actions ratio, America is still the most powerful country in the world and contingencies have to be set in place because what if the loving madman actually does it. And if he does hes going to be throwing around with the weight and authority of the US.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
woot woot
https://twitter.com/hamza_780/status/938743670672707584

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

that's a years old video from bahrain

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

From the comments:

https://twitter.com/Shaikh56263380/status/938751274832494593

e: fb

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's super meaningful. No one cares about the location of the embassy itself, the problem is the official presidential recognition of Jerusalem.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

The answer is 1967.

Here's my peace plan for Israel:

1. Abandon any and all colonies on occupied territories. All of them. No exception. The settlers will be repatriated to Israel proper, bolstering the local majority demographics so that they can stop feeling insecure about the itty bitty little Druze and Arab minorities that are Israeli citizens.
2. Stop the occupation of Palestine, let it become a fully independent and sovereign country. Being granted peace and self-determination at last will put a definitive end to the simmering conflict.

Hmmm not seeing the benefit to Israel in this compromise

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
while oz katerji is not wrong about downplaying trump's bigotry, oz katerji is also out of his god damned mind

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think a lot of the backlash is that this effectively puts the nail into the coffin of a two-state solution. Granted, it was as good as dead years ago in that no movement was happening regarding Palestinian statehood, but this is the first concrete action by the US that confirms the idea.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

nwo hatchet man posted:

Hmmm not seeing the benefit to Israel in this compromise

They get to stop being an Apartheid state.

That's partially facetious but honestly there's more to life than how much land your nation controls on the map, you know? What does the average Israeli actually benefit from the occupation and settlements that they'll be giving up?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

botany posted:

that's a years old video from bahrain

no its not

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
This "recognizing the reality on the ground" spiel can and will be thrown back at the USA in the future, in Crimea for starters.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Reminder that the Dems are still just as garbage:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/363465-schumer-advised-trump-on-declaring-jerusalem-as-israels-capital

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'm curious, what do Israelis think of right wing media proudly proclaiming that "Trump has made Jerusalem the capital of Israel?"

Because that's literally the words I've seen in quite a few places now. It seems odd that the US president has the power to proclaim what the capital of other countries is. A lot of people aren't even saying "officially recognize," but "made."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spaceships posted:

while oz katerji is not wrong about downplaying trump's bigotry, oz katerji is also out of his god damned mind

A lot saner than the people who's bullshit he calls out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Most of these aren't recognizing any facts on the ground. Had, say, Mexico taken over Texas then it could be recognized as part of Mexico. But it hasn't. The reality is Texas seceded from Mexico, and then joined the US, and is now recognized as part of the US, after the US defeated Mexico in war. Meanwhile, China does hold Tibet and this rule is recognized by the world, occasional lip service given to the Dalai Lama nonwithstanding.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most of these aren't recognizing any facts on the ground. Had, say, Mexico taken over Texas then it could be recognized as part of Mexico. But it hasn't. The reality is Texas seceded from Mexico, and then joined the US, and is now recognized as part of the US, after the US defeated Mexico in war. Meanwhile, China does hold Tibet and this rule is recognized by the world, occasional lip service given to the Dalai Lama nonwithstanding.

So do you not worry that this sets a standard where we all agree that it's acceptable for countries to use military force to annex territory?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Colonialists never worry about that, hypocrisy is integral to their philosophy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Orange Devil posted:

So do you not worry that this sets a standard where we all agree that it's acceptable for countries to use military force to annex territory?

I'm saying they're making irrelevant comparisons.

VitalSigns posted:

Colonialists never worry about that, hypocrisy is integral to their philosophy.

I do wonder where I've left my pith helmet. :wotwot:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Well, we essentially have agreed to that already. Everyone just agreed to pretend otherwise. As Trump said, we've been maintaining this fiction for decades and it hasn't accomplished anything, while Israel has been establishing "facts on the ground" totally unhindered for literally half a century.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Corpus Separatum or bust, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I do wonder where I've left my pith helmet. :wotwot: