Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I'm just getting into this game properly. I did the campaign during harbinger but didn't go much beyond that or really touch the maps. So I'm pretty much a newbie. With all the major changes in this patch, are there any reliable build guides I can follow to get my feet wet in this new league?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

most guides from last league will still be fine as long as it wasnt a vaal pact build. take a look through the classes/builds section https://www.pathofexile.com/forum

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The DPS mirage archer adds isn't terrible compared to that of a regular damage support, I think it's intended as a utility thing more than anything else-- you deal a little less damage while actively attacking in exchange for doing some damage while moving around.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TheRat posted:

That's not that different from what vulnerability was. The only major difference is the 29% reduced chaos res, which isn't THAT much. ED doesn't need the damage boost for clearing anyway, and bosses have high curse resistance.

Shouldn't expire, but I've resent it.

While you're at it, StoneLikeCarbonDioxide could still use an invite.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Count Uvula posted:

The DPS mirage archer adds isn't terrible compared to that of a regular damage support, I think it's intended as a utility thing more than anything else-- you deal a little less damage while actively attacking in exchange for doing some damage while moving around.

imo it's a moving RAT, stuff like iceshot with curse on hit seem logical

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vOv posted:

While you're at it, StoneLikeCarbonDioxide could still use an invite.

Sent

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Awesome! posted:

most guides from last league will still be fine as long as it wasnt a vaal pact build. take a look through the classes/builds section https://www.pathofexile.com/forum

Thanks, I guess I'll have to decide on what looks most fun for me.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'll take an invite for PerfectPulseExperience if there's room, thanks.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'll take an invite for PerfectPulseExperience if there's room, thanks.

Sent

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TY <3

I decided I'm going to go with Oro Flicker for league starter just because I like having no gameplay besides 'hold down RMB and see what happens'. Then once I've got some currency I'll find something that can actually kill Shaper and do that.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Taking a magical Flicker Strike journey never gets old

Until you accidentally flicker back into a pack of bearers and die :(

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I think the damage on volatile dead looks ok, so Im either doing that or skelly mages depending on how cheap the jewels are.

Cremation looks like the damage is higher than flameblast based on some forum guys math.

quote:

cremation = 2230 (at 3 geysers)
bodyswap = 783.12
bodyswap_2 = 1566.2 (if base damage explosion happens BOTH around you and corpse)
mirage_archer = 35.6% MORE damage
volatile_dead = 835.62
volatile_dead_3 = 2506.9 (if base damage explosion happens around every corpse)
unearth = 1125 (6% base crit, physical)
detonate_dead = 575 (they probably forgot to refresh damage for it)
lightning_tendrils = 1054.3 (releases larger damage pulse every 4 pulses)

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
The guy who did those on the forums is a complete loving moron, and has no clue how cremation actually works. That number is almost twice the real dps value. He used the casting time of creating the geyser for the cast time of the damage of the geyser, but an earlier dev post explained that the geysers cast a round of volleys once per second.

Assuming you can generate enough corpses, volatile dead should be monstrous dps, but looks to in someway require paring with a totem.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Based on the icons I thought Mirage Archer was supposed to be a sister gem to Spell Cascade and Ancestral Call. That's kind of how it feels anyway.

My bud came to his senses. Turns out he was mad at himself for grinding masochistically instead of having fun like I do.

I finally killed Shaper today, too. Grabbed the Tukohama shield off my Harbinger warchief totem dude and put it on my spectre lady. Ruthless single-target DPS.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

George posted:

My bud came to his senses. Turns out he was mad at himself for grinding masochistically instead of having fun like I do.

How did he grind for months without making enough currency to buy a pair of acuities anyways?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
He just didn't need them.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I feel the real strength of Mirage is that it copies your main skill in the link chain, which means you get to throw in extra attacks of, say, Barrage in there which is probably why they made it look so weak.

It's probably going to be the biggest damage support gem for any Barrage using build.

if it works on Mirror arrow, it's going to be loving hilarious

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Keru posted:

No movement or minion skills allowed.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I didn't think they'd let you actually do that, because yeah. It would've been fun to do a bow 'flicker' strike with blink arrow linked to it, though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

farted around standard for a little while tonight and 6 linked a carcass jack in like 6 fuses and then found a biscos. im using up all my luck need to stop playing until abyss

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Awesome! posted:

farted around standard for a little while tonight and 6 linked a carcass jack in like 6 fuses and then found a biscos. im using up all my luck need to stop playing until abyss

I did one map before bed and an Exalted Orb dropped. I'm choosing to take it as a sign.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is Minion Damage the only default (aka not reliant on some item mod like Baron) damage scaler available on items for minion builds?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Insurrectionist posted:

Is Minion Damage the only default (aka not reliant on some item mod like Baron) damage scaler available on items for minion builds?

Yes, as far as I can recall.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Alright, that makes building easier then

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

If there are any spots left I'd like an invite to Strange_Burning

Looks like I'll go summoner as planned after playing with a few ideas and using free respecs on a few old characters. Did mess around with my dualstrike/reave guy last night and that may be the second build I do.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

If there are any spots left I'd like an invite to Strange_Burning

Looks like I'll go summoner as planned after playing with a few ideas and using free respecs on a few old characters. Did mess around with my dualstrike/reave guy last night and that may be the second build I do.

sent

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Fenris13 posted:

Assuming you can generate enough corpses, volatile dead should be monstrous dps, but looks to in someway require paring with a totem.
I was thinking that too. Self-cast unearth with GMP and spell echo? Also I was wondering what ascendency would work nicely. Perhaps Chieftain?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Unearth looks like a pain though since it's targeted at your cursor. Maybe a totem spamming unearth while self casting volatile? I'd love to play a volatile dead char but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I thought you had to place your cursor on/near the corpses to cast Volatile. Also my idea is grabbing Ancestral Bond for +1 totems. My plan is to throw out corpses like a crazy man and have enough totems to keep up with them.

I really just want to see how many orbs I can fill my screen with :orb:

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Keru posted:

I feel the real strength of Mirage is that it copies your main skill in the link chain, which means you get to throw in extra attacks of, say, Barrage in there which is probably why they made it look so weak.

It's probably going to be the biggest damage support gem for any Barrage using build.

Isn’t Mirage just a straight 35% more multiplier with some added QoL perks of damaging on the run?

That makes it better than bad more% supports (slower projectiles) but worse than good more% supports (WED).

I think it replaces slower projectiles for e.g. standard bow barrage setups?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
PoB still using the old added damage values for SRS or is it just me? Calc is showing x0.7 for added damage multiplier for me at least.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Wow wish I had that despair gem last league when I played wasp nest ST. Its perfect

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I've never actually run a bow based character in this game, so I'm thinking of giving it a shot this league, but does anyone have any particular build recommendations that are reasonable (cost-wise) for starting a league? The ability to gear up and Shaper would be a plus.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

PoB still using the old added damage values for SRS or is it just me? Calc is showing x0.7 for added damage multiplier for me at least.

Skills aren’t updated, just tree.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Alright, I'll just have to look forward to another dips boost tomorrow then.

Also, is there an easy way in PoB to see a breakdown of your auras, especially aura effectiveness? I'd love to see the aura effectiveness boosts listed the same way damage/speed/area/etc are nicely listed in the calculator, but I can't find anywhere for aura details other than radius and area stuff. Well, you can see it somewhat in the damage calc for your other skills but it's vague and doesn't break down aura effectiveness at all, just shows the overall gain from the aura.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I still dont know what to play lol

I thought LT Hierophant aka Tesla Totems would be cool but they crunched it and dps is actually lower now :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fenris13 posted:

Could you build this along the lines of the old detonate dead elemental proliferation builds? Volatile dead - elemental proliferation - increased burning - fire penetration - conc effect - increase AoE May not work but maybe it's a starting point. I tried one of these in 1.1 or something whenever detonate dead showed up and it was great

Thanks

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Ignite is not good right now and ele prolif isn't what it used to be either.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So ill be going for crit spark scion as a starter, can i still get 100% pierce like before the pierce changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well the pierce changes removed the percentage pierce chance so no? Or yes I guess depending on how you look at it. If you're going scion then deadeye ascendant + pierce gem should be enough.