Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'd actually run ZL super slim (Wired, TIE Mk II?) and try to fit Engine Upgrade onto OA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’ve always run Omega Ace with PtL, but has anyone ever tried him with Swarm Leader and some minions carrying around evade tokens on their Comm Relays? I feel like you’d need the perfect setup, but at the same time dropping up to 5 crits in someone’s face seems like overkill (the best kind of kill).

Had someone do that to me once I couldn't even be grumpy

Ok, last annoying post about this weekend's tourney list. Due to not being able to get ahold of a palp I am running Vader/QD/Inq. I think we will will be seeing a lot more PS 11s flying around so would dropping one of the harpoons to cruise be wise just to have a 1 point bid?

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Advanced Sensors (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

"Quickdraw" (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Special Ops Training (0)

The Inquisitor (25)
Adaptability (0)
Cruise Missiles (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Raged posted:

Had someone do that to me once I couldn't even be grumpy

Ok, last annoying post about this weekend's tourney list. Due to not being able to get ahold of a palp I am running Vader/QD/Inq. I think we will will be seeing a lot more PS 11s flying around so would dropping one of the harpoons to cruise be wise just to have a 1 point bid?

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Advanced Sensors (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

"Quickdraw" (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Special Ops Training (0)

The Inquisitor (25)
Adaptability (0)
Cruise Missiles (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

Total: 99

I'm of the opinion that Vader without Engine Upgrade is very unthreatening, as is Inquisitor without PTL.
I'd drop Inquisitor to Omega Leader or a TLT Aggressor and give Engine to Vader, otherwise Vader and Inquisitor are gonna be pillowfists after they fire off their huge salvo.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Can TLTs trigger the harpooned condition?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Talas posted:

Some people are saying yes, but i things that's wrong since the TLT makes you cancel all results then deal 1 damage. Some people say the timing means TLT can trigger Harpoon, but that's really dumb.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Talas posted:

The way it was ruled at Mandalore by the marshal (who is local to me) is as following.

quote:

Q. When a ship which has the Harpooned condition assigned to it is attacked by a Twin Laser Turret and one of the attacks hits with at least one [crit] result showing, is the Harpooned condition checked before or after the “Each time this attack hits, the defender suffers 1 damage. Then cancel all dice results” portion of the Twin Laser Turret card text?

A. Both have the same timing window (when the defending ship is hit, in step 6 of the attack timing chart). Since Harpooned is a condition “assigned” to a ship, the player controlling that ship would be the one to resolve triggering its effect, whereas the attacker would resolve the Twin Laser Turret effects (including the canceling of dice). Per page 23 of the FAQ (version 4.4.0), “The player with initiative resolves all abilities he would like to resolve, then the other player resolves all abilities he would like to resolve.” Therefore, initiative would determine the order in which these triggers are resolved.

Reminder: Cards such as Prince Xizor or Draw Their Fire do not trigger until step 7 of the timing chart, by which time the first paragraph of the text on the Harpooned condition card would have triggered (in step 6).

Until there's a FAQ about it, this is the interpretation with the best rules support.
FFG has a habit of just screwing with precedents anyway, like Inquisitor/autothrusters interaction so it's possible this changes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

I'm of the opinion that Vader without Engine Upgrade is very unthreatening, as is Inquisitor without PTL.
I'd drop Inquisitor to Omega Leader or a TLT Aggressor and give Engine to Vader, otherwise Vader and Inquisitor are gonna be pillowfists after they fire off their huge salvo.

The upgrades that he’s using are standard for that list. It’s alpha strike, not aces.

A point for a bid isn’t bad idea tho.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Holy cow. I mentioned a couple weeks ago that a well-liked shop in the ACT (Australia) closed down. This shop was going to have the regionals. The owner was told he would most likely lose the regional (pretty sure he was told he would lose it). He went ahead and booked a venue anyway and set up a date and now the actual regional is on that date hosted by another shop and he is currently melting down on the events facebook page.

It's both sad and amazing

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Holy cow. I mentioned a couple weeks ago that a well-liked shop in the ACT (Australia) closed down. This shop was going to have the regionals. The owner was told he would most likely lose the regional (pretty sure he was told he would lose it). He went ahead and booked a venue anyway and set up a date and now the actual regional is on that date hosted by another shop and he is currently melting down on the events facebook page.

It's both sad and amazing

lol

The Phantom II has me excited for Rebel listbuilding in a way that's never happened before. Coordinate actions and the synergies possible with the crew/astro combo intrigue me.

Here's a rebel list that doesn't rely on regen: just four efficient ships that synergize really well with each other.
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...20Squadron&obs=

Two ion BTL Y-Wings, Ezra with M9-G8, and Stress Jess Pava

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

lol

The Phantom II has me excited for Rebel listbuilding in a way that's never happened before. Coordinate actions and the synergies possible with the crew/astro combo intrigue me.

Here's a rebel list that doesn't rely on regen: just four efficient ships that synergize really well with each other.
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...20Squadron&obs=

Two ion BTL Y-Wings, Ezra with M9-G8, and Stress Jess Pava

Click link and save as Dazed and Confused.

Picked up Kylo's Tie and the gunboat because I have no willpower.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think this should be good enough for a start:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Tekopo posted:

I think this should be good enough for a start:

Uggh even with currency conversion the UK prices are 20% less than the Aussie prices

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Raged posted:

Uggh even with currency conversion the UK prices are 20% less than the Aussie prices
Keep in mind that boardgameguru does below MSRP, and usually it's 14 quid per.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
On graveyard shift again so more dumb questions and a list or two.

With the Arsenal Loadout on the Imp Gunboat
You may perform attacks with and secondary weapons against ships you have locked even while you have a weapons disabled token.

Would I be right in guessing that Deadeye won't let you use that ability?

Figure this is stupid, but fun for some true hit and run action. Fire missiles next turn max move, slam, reload then next turn move, slam TL with Adv Slam. Vader is just there to put out crits to trigger harpooned.

Slam Whales (100)

Major Vynder (26)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Advanced SLAM (2)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Rho Squadron Veteran (21)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Advanced SLAM (2)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 100

Raged fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 7, 2017

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’ve always run Omega Ace with PtL, but has anyone ever tried him with Swarm Leader and some minions carrying around evade tokens on their Comm Relays? I feel like you’d need the perfect setup, but at the same time dropping up to 5 crits in someone’s face seems like overkill (the best kind of kill).

Missed this the first time you asked, but here's a list I run with OA swarm leader. I use the Upislon to get him the extra actions he needs, and then if the enemy targets him, Upislon can try and set up for a 5 dice TL shot.

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Swarm Leader (3)
Pattern Analyzer (2)

Major Stridan (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
General Hux (5)
Targeting Synchronizer (3)

Total: 97

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

On graveyard shift again so more dumb questions and a list or two.

With the Arsenal Loadout on the Imp Gunboat
You may perform attacks with and secondary weapons against ships you have locked even while you have a weapons disabled token.

Would I be right in guessing that Deadeye won't let you use that ability?

Correct. Even with Deadeye you would need the target lock.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For shits and giggles I ran two starvipers in the same list last night.

Thweek: FCS, Autothrusters, Glitterstim, both titles
Guri: Intensity, new title, Autothrusters
Fenn Rau: PTL, title, Autothrusters

It wasn't bad! I won both games, although I really should have lost the second one.

Guri did a surprising amount of work, but I really, really missed having FCS on her. I wish Virago was not unique. Thweek would be useless without it, but I could feel that Intensity Guri with FCS/Glititerstim would have been a monster.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

For shits and giggles I ran two starvipers in the same list last night.

Thweek: FCS, Autothrusters, Glitterstim, both titles
Guri: Intensity, new title, Autothrusters
Fenn Rau: PTL, title, Autothrusters

It wasn't bad! I won both games, although I really should have lost the second one.

Guri did a surprising amount of work, but I really, really missed having FCS on her. I wish Virago was not unique. Thweek would be useless without it, but I could feel that Intensity Guri with FCS/Glititerstim would have been a monster.

Exactly the list I flew right after Guns came out, and the exact same reaction I had re Guri. If only you could put Guri with Kylo ren because she just dumpsters anything lower pilot skill. Her best in faction wingman is an IA Bumpmaster (+give it ion projector)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

An intel agent bumpmaster + guri + fenn would be fun. Not sure if it'd be better than Thweek though.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

An intel agent bumpmaster + guri + fenn would be fun. Not sure if it'd be better than Thweek though.

It's the list I've been training with to use this season. Gurittani! It's fun as hell. Needs a 3 point bid because silencer straight up doesn't give a poo poo about the Bumpmaster so Fenn must move last (and run away afterwards). Guri and Fenn mindlinked means Guri is the weak link. Not sure how it'd handle a ps11 alpha, though manaroo with tac Jammer on bump can pass locks back to Guri, who is hopefully out of range, if I've engaged correctly. Fenn just has to run away if they point harpoons at him.

Asteroid placement is centre heavy, you want to deploy Fenn on one flank and manaroo and guri on the other, so centre heavy means they have to commit to one or the other. Don't leave the middle open.

Other list I'm toying with is mindlink Dengar and Asajj, ripped off another player here. Both with countermeasures and scavenger crane, dengar with K4 and Asajj with latts. It's just so brutal and consistent, harpoon resistant, with a really feelsbad targeting priority for the opponent.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

It's the list I've been training with to use this season. Gurittani! It's fun as hell. Needs a 3 point bid because silencer straight up doesn't give a poo poo about the Bumpmaster so Fenn must move last (and run away afterwards). Guri and Fenn mindlinked means Guri is the weak link. Not sure how it'd handle a ps11 alpha, though manaroo with tac Jammer on bump can pass locks back to Guri, who is hopefully out of range, if I've engaged correctly. Fenn just has to run away if they point harpoons at him.

Asteroid placement is centre heavy, you want to deploy Fenn on one flank and manaroo and guri on the other, so centre heavy means they have to commit to one or the other. Don't leave the middle open.

This sounds a lot like Fenn Zuck Man, only with Guri instead of Zuckuss.

I really enjoyed that list.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Me too its a shame zuck is such trash in this meta

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Me too its a shame zuck is such trash in this meta

He was trash in that meta, too, except in that particular list, and then Parattani came around and was just better. :(

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I used Zuckuss in my Attanni list that was my go to before it got nerfed. I think I lost with it once out of like a couple dozen plays.

It was Fenn/Zuckuss/Kavil, and it was great.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I've been out of X-wing a while, and fenzuckman was my last list I spent a lot of time with.

I assume the meta is a lot better, now, without u-boats and Biggs deforming everything? How are imp aces doing these days? Is Soontir competitive again?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

I used Zuckuss in my Attanni list that was my go to before it got nerfed. I think I lost with it once out of like a couple dozen plays.

It was Fenn/Zuckuss/Kavil, and it was great.

I lost him real fast until I stuck him behind Manaroo with Tac Jammers. Then he was suddenly an unappealing target.

Maybe Kavil drew the fire in that list?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I used to outfit Zuck with AdvSensors, Dengar and HotShot Blaster. The blaster usually made people vary of getting close, or - often preferably - would forget I had it and attack me out of arc only to get terminated. When Mindlink still was a thing he could often take an evade, making him last much longer. I still consider him one of the most underappreciated pilots in the game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

I've been out of X-wing a while, and fenzuckman was my last list I spent a lot of time with.

I assume the meta is a lot better, now, without u-boats and Biggs deforming everything? How are imp aces doing these days? Is Soontir competitive again?

Most of the *really* warping stuff has been toned down.
Alpha Strikes are still Real Good, but aren't every list.
Rebel tank > regen is still Real Good, but you can't go all-in on keeping Biggs alive.
Bombs are still Real Good, but aren't everywhere.
Individual pilots like Dash, Dengar, Asajj, and Miranda, are still Real Good, but aren't the only logical choice.

Soontir probably isn't competitive again, but he's no longer an instant loss.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ConfusedUs posted:

I lost him real fast until I stuck him behind Manaroo with Tac Jammers. Then he was suddenly an unappealing target.

Maybe Kavil drew the fire in that list?

Zuckuss was the jouster, Fenn was the arc dodger, Kavil was the turret that took potshots. Whichever one my opponent went after, the other 2 would clean up afterward. I pretty much always lost a ship, but never lost the game. And Zuckuss and Fenn on a single ship for 1 or 2 attack rounds was magical.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Soontir still dies quick but there's plenty of other cool ace options like the Inquisitor, Quickdraw, Vessery/Ryad, Vader, and Omega Leader. The TIE Silencer will also be rad. Not quite arc-dodging madness like old school Soontir though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

plester1 posted:

Soontir still dies quick but there's plenty of other cool ace options like the Inquisitor, Quickdraw, Vessery/Ryad, Vader, and Omega Leader. The TIE Silencer will also be rad. Not quite arc-dodging madness like old school Soontir though.
Better at arc dodging. Worse at tanking.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The manager of my FLGS finally did so many stupid things in one week that the majority of the X-wing group, 8+ people minimum of a maybe 16 person group, have all left the store. Luckily for us, the other store in town just moved to a bigger venue and was looking to get X-wing stuff started.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Finster Dexter posted:

Soontir isn't top tier (thank God) but triple ps11 ordnance can win in the list building phase

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The manager of my FLGS finally did so many stupid things in one week that the majority of the X-wing group, 8+ people minimum of a maybe 16 person group, have all left the store. Luckily for us, the other store in town just moved to a bigger venue and was looking to get X-wing stuff started.

Well...what he do

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
i bought a silencer

help

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Okay but yeah.

I'm thinking about picking the game back up pretty casually and I currently have two lists put together:

Poe (8)
Black One
Lone Wolf
R2-D2
Advanced Optics
Autothrusters

Rey
Millennium Falcon (OG)
Expertise
Finn
C-3PO

100 points and nobody over PS8. Is that good? Is it bad? Who cares. Brunas helped and he says everything is good so don't trust him. Here's another one I basically stole from him and changed only slightly:

Kylo Ren (Silencer)
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Autothrusters

"Backdraft"
Special Ops Training
Adaptability
Fire-Control System
Lightweight Frame

"Omega Leader"
Juke
Comm Relay

Also 100 points and 9/8/8 for pilot skills. I want to find room for a Threat Tracker but whatever. It's First Order only so this could probably be dramatically improved, but eh.

All I know is, I played some suuuuper casual games earlier this week and Poe Dameron Is Fun Again. Advanced Optics opens him up quite a bit! Now you can actually boost without punting on your offense/defense for the turn! And Rey hits like a truck which is funny (crit/crit/crit/hit/hit was my best r1 result last night). Mechanically I think I still really like this game, I was just so bored by what I saw being played that I quit. I imagine that Poe/Rey and an all-FO list aren't exactly worldbeaters, but whatever I don't care.

Poe!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

The straw that broke those guys was they drafted a box of magic there one day and when they went to the counter to grab lands the store charged them for each land. For me, it was last week because yet again because of his incompetence they didn’t get in the l5r pack. Then, I knew exactly what was happening and asked Monti what was wrong and he straight up lied to my face about it...so...that was cool.

This on top of being a general idiot, pissing off his distributors so much that they only begrudgingly send him product if they happen to have some spare, running off employees that aren't his son or his son's friends (once again, due to incompetence), letting people into the store to pester customers about donating/buying something from them. Its been a long time coming.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

You don't need advanced optics to have fun with boosting Poe.
Intensity is another real fun one for him, and before today with the silencer release, a popular configuration was Poe with Intensity, title, comm relay, R2-D2 (or BB-8), and autothrusters. The idea there is you bank an evade early on and carry it around forever.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

guts and bolts posted:

Okay but yeah.

I'm thinking about picking the game back up pretty casually and I currently have two lists put together:

Poe (8)
Black One
Lone Wolf
R2-D2
Advanced Optics
Autothrusters

Rey
Millennium Falcon (OG)
Expertise
Finn
C-3PO

100 points and nobody over PS8. Is that good? Is it bad? Who cares. Brunas helped and he says everything is good so don't trust him. Here's another one I basically stole from him and changed only slightly:

Kylo Ren (Silencer)
Push the Limit
Advanced Sensors
Autothrusters

"Backdraft"
Special Ops Training
Adaptability
Fire-Control System
Lightweight Frame

"Omega Leader"
Juke
Comm Relay

Also 100 points and 9/8/8 for pilot skills. I want to find room for a Threat Tracker but whatever. It's First Order only so this could probably be dramatically improved, but eh.

All I know is, I played some suuuuper casual games earlier this week and Poe Dameron Is Fun Again. Advanced Optics opens him up quite a bit! Now you can actually boost without punting on your offense/defense for the turn! And Rey hits like a truck which is funny (crit/crit/crit/hit/hit was my best r1 result last night). Mechanically I think I still really like this game, I was just so bored by what I saw being played that I quit. I imagine that Poe/Rey and an all-FO list aren't exactly worldbeaters, but whatever I don't care.

Poe!
I'm flying this. It's definitely not ultra competitive but it's fun. BB-8 is my favorite character and the Falcon is my favorite ship, so flying these right around Last Jedi release is a blast.

Rey — YT-1300 45
Expertise 4
Finn 5
Kanan Jarrus 3
Countermeasures 3
Millennium Falcon (TFA) 1

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 31
Veteran Instincts 1
BB-8 2
Advanced Optics 2
Autothrusters 2
Black One 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Intensity/Primed Thrusters is a really good combo on BB8 Poe.

DGAF about stress, because you're getting your focus anyway and shedding some locks in the process.

• Locked thread