Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HenryEx posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles kinda does this - you get fixed characters in fixed roles, so not really class based, but you can "borrow" other character's skills and use them on a different character depending on the amount of levels / unique monsters you killed and the relationship between the characters.

And you can play it rather hassle-free on PC via emulator. Can look pretty good, too

Just remember to save state every 10 minutes or so, it can still occasionally crash

Have it, but thanks for reminding me I should probably finally finish Chronicles X

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tangledeep is all about this!

This actually looks like its my jam, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
I just got into D&D and I'm building a campaign setting based on an Age of Exploration/colonizing the Caribbean/Pirates and Corsairs kind of theme.

Any games that fit this that could serve as inspiration? I used to LOVE Sid Meier's Pirates, and I also really liked AC Black Flag, which is downloading on Steam right now. Anything else? The more open the better, I really want to get a feel for exploring this kind of setting, even god games/builder games/survival games could be a good shout. Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Greedish posted:

I just got into D&D and I'm building a campaign setting based on an Age of Exploration/colonizing the Caribbean/Pirates and Corsairs kind of theme.

Any games that fit this that could serve as inspiration? I used to LOVE Sid Meier's Pirates, and I also really liked AC Black Flag, which is downloading on Steam right now. Anything else? The more open the better, I really want to get a feel for exploring this kind of setting, even god games/builder games/survival games could be a good shout. Thanks!

I know it's not a game, but please read Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander / the Aubrey-Maturin series. It's insanely good and fills you in all of the little details and exciting battles in this kind of era. :D

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know it's not a game, but please read Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander / the Aubrey-Maturin series. It's insanely good and fills you in all of the little details and exciting battles in this kind of era. :D

I was going to ask for book/movie recommends too but figured it would be way too off-topic. So thank you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Greedish posted:

I was going to ask for book/movie recommends too but figured it would be way too off-topic. So thank you!

The Book Barn's Book Rec Thread is here!

Dunno about movie or TV show rec threads, but TBB has been good to me.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

iSurrender posted:

Eador is the kind of game I'd love, but the combat is extremely repetitive.

But a) the combat and loot/exp system is a lot of fun, and b) the guard troop system is actually pretty neat in a 4x game.

It's a fun and well designed game, if slightly strange UI-wise at first. The biggest problem with it for me was that after 150+ hours it corrupted my savegame and the game would crash no matter what. :(

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Greedish posted:

Also watch the Hornblower series and read the books.

The greatest game in this genre is Pirates of the Caribbean with the New Horizons mod, but failing that Sea Dogs and Age of Pirates 2 are suitable titles. You might be better off running Rogue Trader instead of DnD for that kind of campaign, so long as you know your Warhammer.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Greedish posted:

The Temeraire series of books has napoleonic war era sailing ships and also dragons; it's not too well known so you can probably crib stuff from it pretty freely if you want fantastical beasts to be part of the setting.

Skies of Arcadia is pirates and corsairs themed but in the sky with floating islands. It's a JRPG so there's a plot and it's not too open although there is still exploration. There's an LP here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTuQnOgBpfc

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Was there a game like Banished that had sort of victorian cthulhu stuff in it, and some of the devs posted here?

I've searched for ages but am starting to think I made it all up.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Second Sun posted:

Was there a game like Banished that had sort of victorian cthulhu stuff in it, and some of the devs posted here?

Clockwork Empires, made by the now defunct Gaslamp games.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Lobster posted:

Clockwork Empires, made by the now defunct Gaslamp games.

That's the one. Thank you.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it didn't end up being terribly good, unfortunately

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Second Sun posted:

Rimworld now has a cthulu mod!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So I am looking for an MMO I think, prefer f2p but not p2w. Paying for Convenience/cosmetic features are fine with me, but not paying for a combat advantage.

I used to like Tera a lot. I don't know if it is any good anymore. But looking for something with action combat and PvP options. Any suggestions?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alpha Mayo posted:

So I am looking for an MMO I think, prefer f2p but not p2w. Paying for Convenience/cosmetic features are fine with me, but not paying for a combat advantage.

I used to like Tera a lot. I don't know if it is any good anymore. But looking for something with action combat and PvP options. Any suggestions?

Guild Wars 2 has good PvP although it's not quite as -- physically modeled? -- as Tera's. PvP is arena-based and uses its own gear so there's no combat advantage for payers or even for higher-level characters, you can do it at level 1 if you want. The game's not free but it is a one-time purchase, there's no subscription. It also has one of the most pleasant and welcoming goon communities I've ever seen in an MMO (Starfleet Dental.)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

The only MMO I know of that has combat with the same oomph as Tera is Black Desert. No idea what sort of PvP options are there, though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Guild Wars 2 has good PvP although it's not quite as -- physically modeled? -- as Tera's. PvP is arena-based and uses its own gear so there's no combat advantage for payers or even for higher-level characters, you can do it at level 1 if you want. The game's not free but it is a one-time purchase, there's no subscription. It also has one of the most pleasant and welcoming goon communities I've ever seen in an MMO (Starfleet Dental.)

How it is compared to Guild Wars 1? Used to play it so much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

How it is compared to Guild Wars 1? Used to play it so much.

It's been over a decade since I played GW1 so my impressions may be a little basic. :v:

The two-class combination system is gone which is kind of unfortunate, but in exchange the six base classes have more build variety. PvP maps are larger and more objective-focused (which might be good or bad depending on your tastes). Progression is still mostly cosmetic. The plot and writing was garbage when I played but that was before the expansion came out and they were showing signs of improvement so who knows. GW2 is absolutely gorgeous to look at so that's obviously a big step up. The quest system is neat -- you basically wander around the map and stuff just happens that you can get involved in, although it's good to keep moving because eventually stuff will start repeating.

My experience with the game was that the singleplayer stuff was great for spectacle and exploring but didn't have that much replayability, but PvP kept me engaged far longer and I tagged along on raids and dungeons with people who could pretty much carry me through them since I was logged in anyways. The only reason I quit was because I was flat broke and couldn't afford the expansion, and these days I don't really have time for an MMO. It's a good game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

Elder Scrolls Online is actually quite good and goes on sale all the time. Subscription is good but totally unnecessary

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is PUBG entertaining if you don't have a group of friends to play with? Seems to me it's 90% teamplay that makes it fun, but could be mistaken?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

Is PUBG entertaining if you don't have a group of friends to play with? Seems to me it's 90% teamplay that makes it fun, but could be mistaken?

IMO, PUBG is at it's best with friends. Though I had some fun lone wolfing, ultimately I got bored of dying to people I didn't see. Having a few extra pairs of eyes makes it far better and more engaging, plus it's nice to have someone to shoot the poo poo with during a match's downtime, which can be quite long.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Alpha Mayo posted:

Gonna second ESO here. Just keep in mind its like 90GB to download and install so set aside a chunk of time for that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I don't play many (any) car games, but I got my hands on Burnout Paradise last year and loooooved it, especially wrecking other cars. So I picked up Carmageddon and tried it and I hate how slippery all the cars feel. Like, even if I unlock other cars, I'd have to suffer through these awful cars and ehhhn no thanks.

So.

Are there any other good car games out there? I like unlocking and trying new cars, wrecking other cars, and zooming along without a care in the world.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't play many (any) car games, but I got my hands on Burnout Paradise last year and loooooved it, especially wrecking other cars. So I picked up Carmageddon and tried it and I hate how slippery all the cars feel. Like, even if I unlock other cars, I'd have to suffer through these awful cars and ehhhn no thanks.

So.

Are there any other good car games out there? I like unlocking and trying new cars, wrecking other cars, and zooming along without a care in the world.

Look up which Need for Speed games were made by Criterion, aka the Burnout guys. They took over the franchise at some point. I haven't played one in like 6 years but they were very similar in feel to Burnout.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Look up which Need for Speed games were made by Criterion, aka the Burnout guys. They took over the franchise at some point. I haven't played one in like 6 years but they were very similar in feel to Burnout.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is on Steam and by Criterion, so - thank you! If it goes on sale this xmas I'll give it a spin~

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

NFS Most Wanted 2012 is loving phenomenal. I got it free on Origin a while back and it was my first racing game. It's a big rear end open world racing game with very "generous" physics and driving a la burnout. You unlock cars by finding them in the world and upgrade them by winning races. No rng or grindy poo poo.

Also the soundtrack kicks major rear end.

E: there's also The Crew by ubisoft which has a lot to drive around and see but it's some kinda Destiny-with-cars grind loot horseshit

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 8, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sixto Lezcano posted:

NFS Most Wanted 2012 is loving phenomenal. I got it free on Origin a while back and it was my first racing game. It's a big rear end open world racing game with very "generous" physics and driving a la burnout. You unlock cars by finding them in the world and upgrade them by winning races. No rng or grindy poo poo.

Also the soundtrack kicks major rear end.

E: there's also The Crew by ubisoft which has a lot to drive around and see but it's some kinda Destiny-with-cars grind loot horseshit

I'll pick it up if I can find it!

....Also ahahaha your description of the Crew makes it sound extremely my jam, so I'll check it out - it has a free demo, hooray!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Recommend me a game.

Some games I really enjoyed recently:
- Shadow Tactics
- Battle Brothers
- Divinity Original Sin II
- Invisibility, Inc

The obvious recommendation is probably XCOM 2, but are there any others? In general I much prefer playing games from smaller studios rather than big AAA titles.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Walh Hara posted:

Recommend me a game.

- Shadow Tactics
- Battle Brothers
- Invisibility, Inc

The obvious recommendation is probably XCOM 2, but are there any others? In general I much prefer playing games from smaller studios rather than big AAA titles.

Expeditions: Conquistador or Viking?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Recommend me a game.

- Shadow Tactics
- Battle Brothers
- Invisibility, Inc

- All Walls Must Fall (Invisible Inc + Crypt of the Necrodancer indie mix, still early access but fun)
- Frozen Cortex (Ignore the sports trappings. It's a tactical game about getting the ball across the field, and it's really good - and it kind of reminds me of XCOM/Battle Brothers? Small squad tactics.)
- Infested Planet (more RTS-y than the others, smaller scale, but pleasing)
- Low Magic Age (combat ONLY, but it's a pleasing skinner box of tactical battles - early access but fun)
- Voidspire Tactics (Extremely indie - made by like, one dude.)

None of these are gonna hit the heights of the games you've listed, but you should have fun with them~!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Walh Hara posted:

Recommend me a game.

- Shadow Tactics
- Battle Brothers
- Invisibility, Inc

Have you played Harebrained's Shadowrun games?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Recommend me a game.

- Shadow Tactics
- Battle Brothers
- Invisibility, Inc

Satellite Reign

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009

Walh Hara posted:

Recommend me a game.

- Shadow Tactics
- Battle Brothers
- Invisibility, Inc

Seconding the recommendation for Harebrained's Shadowrun games, Dragonfall in particular. The tactical combat in the games is somewhat simple, but it works and some fights can be quite tough on the harder difficulties. Also the games have a ton of excellent cyberpunk writing if that's something you enjoy (excluding Shadowrun Returns which was very light on story).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

lowwayman posted:

Seconding the recommendation for Harebrained's Shadowrun games, Dragonfall in particular. The tactical combat in the games is somewhat simple, but it works and some fights can be quite tough on the harder difficulties. Also the games have a ton of excellent cyberpunk writing if that's something you enjoy (excluding Shadowrun Returns which was very light on story).

Shadowrun Returns is just as well written as the sequels, the difference is just that it's linear as poo poo.

But yeah thirding the recommendation and also seconding Satellite Reign.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Elder Scrolls Online is actually quite good and goes on sale all the time. Subscription is good but totally unnecessary

I disagree about the subscription not being necessary. It's almost impossible to do any crafting without a subscription and even basic inventory management is pretty painful without one.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

- Shadow Tactics

There are few games just like Shadow Tactics. The Commandos series, that you probably know and games made by Spellbound. In my opinion the best ones are Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive and Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood. You might have some trouble running them properly though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

lowwayman posted:

Is there items/gearing up your guys? Do they learn new skills?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mugticket posted:

There are few games just like Shadow Tactics. The Commandos series, that you probably know and games made by Spellbound. In my opinion the best ones are Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive and Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood. You might have some trouble running them properly though.

Quoting this so I can find it later. I haven't actually had time to finish Shadow Tactics but when I do I'll want more eventually.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is there items/gearing up your guys? Do they learn new skills?

Yes and no; the player character operates on a point-buy system for stats and purchasable upgrades for equipment and most abilities. The other party members use the same system in the background with pre-determined upgrade paths along with a simple choice of two perks for each level that the player chooses for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In SR Dragonfall and Hong Kong, you can pick upgrade paths for your buddies and they'll have gear appropriately. However, you can also buy extra gear to them to dole out during a mission (although this is occasionally buggy). e.g. I think one of the deckers never gets the absolute top-end deck, but you can buy one for them. Likewise, Eiger in Dragonfall normally won't have an assault rifle until you do her sidequest (she has a shotgun and sniper rifle instead) but if you buy her a rifle and give it to her she'll be able to use it perfectly well.

SR Dragonfall and SR HongKong are Good Games.