Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

Yeah well given that's how democracy generally works I'd say that's good.
What if 51% of people supported stabbing lawyers in the stomach with a shiv?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Truly a momentous occasion:

quote:

Barnaby Joyce confirms he’s separated from wife as same-sex marriage goes to vote

Barnaby Joyce yesterday confirmed that he had “separated” from his wife during his address to the parliament on the same-sex marriage debate, ending months of speculation about his personal life.

“The current definition of marriage has stood the test of time – half of them fail, I acknowledge that,” the newly sworn in Deputy Prime Minister said

“I’ll acknowledge that I'm currently separated, so that's on the record.”

Mr Joyce, the member for New England, said he had not “come to this debate pretending to be a saint” as he continued to back the traditional definition of marriage in his second day back in the job after the New England by-election at the weekend.

The declaration was the first time Mr Joyce has publicly said that he has split from his wife of 24 years, Natalie, however rumours about their relationship had marred the by-election.

There had been signficant social media speculation about Mr Joyce’s private life during the five weeks of the campaign.

Repeatedly Mr Joyce had deflected questions about his marriage, saying “my personal life is my personal life”.

Last Friday, the day before New England went to the polls, The Leader had asked Mr Joyce via email whether his marriage had broken down due to the conspicuous absence of his family from the campaign trail.

Mr Joyce’s media team refused to answer the questions and in a series of email exchanges with The Leader queried their relevance to the by-election and did not provide an answer.

During the 2016 election Mr Joyce’s family, including Natalie and his four daughters, were regularly seen on the hustings.

In stark contrast, Mr Joyce’s family was nowhere to be seen in an official capacity during the five weeks of the by-election nor as he declared victory at the Southgate Inn, Tamworth on Saturday night.

During the by-election, a comment about Mr Joyce’s personal life resulted in a heated confrontation in Graman Pub, which ended with the then-candidate flicking a man’s hat off.

The Deputy Prime Minister’s return to the political fray after being forced into a by-election due to his New Zealand citizenship was just in time to vote on the historic same-sex marriage Bill.

More than 100 MPs made speeches on the floor of parliament for more than 28 hours before the Bill was passed late Thursday.

http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/5107730/barnaby-joyce-admits-to-marriage-split-for-the-first-time-in-public/?cs=159

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Hi actually minorities shouldn’t have to depend on the good will of a majority for their basic human rights so kindly gently caress off?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CrazyTolradi posted:

You'd stab them and end up with hi-vis anarchy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hi actually minorities shouldn’t have to depend on the good will of a majority for their basic human rights so kindly gently caress off?

You have selected benevolent dictatorship, press 1 to choose again or simply hang up.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CrazyTolradi posted:

First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

JBP posted:

You have selected benevolent dictatorship, press 1 to choose again or simply hang up.

gently caress you're stupid. Either tyranny of the majority or dictatorship? Go read a book.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

So is Batman going to go to a by-election because it's going to be some amazing salty goodness when ALP loses another seat to the Greens yet again.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

CrazyTolradi posted:

So is Batman going to go to a by-election because it's going to be some amazing salty goodness when ALP loses another seat to the Greens yet again.

First the state seat of Northcote then the federal seat of Batman.

That'd be magnificent.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AgentF posted:

gently caress you're stupid. Either tyranny of the majority or dictatorship? Go read a book.

Gee that's rude. All I was doing was supporting Bill Shorten's great efforts in supporting rights for a minority and following through on the democratic will of the majority.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
Good ol' Barnaby spends the entire debate defending "traditional marriage" then leaves his wife - Hardly "traditional".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I got an email from LOWES with the subject line LOVE WINS

Thanks LOWES.

Couldn't have done it without you.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cpt Soban posted:

Good ol' Barnaby spends the entire debate defending "traditional marriage" then leaves his wife - Hardly "traditional".

It's the traditional end when one allegedly knocks up a staffer.

It's not insinuated that he left her.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Thanks LOWES.

:lol:

Lowes are ahead of the curve. I want one from Gerry Harvey.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JBP posted:

:lol:

Lowes are ahead of the curve. I want one from Gerry Harvey.

"Love wins, now support the application of GST to items less than $1000!"

AgentF
May 11, 2009

JBP posted:

Gee that's rude. All I was doing was supporting Bill Shorten's great efforts in supporting rights for a minority and following through on the democratic will of the majority.

Nah you jumped to the defense of Shorten just like you do whenever anyone even mildly criticises the ALP. Then someone said that flip-flopping political stances based on who currently has a slim majority isn't the best idea and you brought up dictatorships for some reason. I think we want politicians who are honest about who they are and have personal convictions, instead of politicians terrified of supporting basic legal rights for homosexuals until it looks popular enough to become safe.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

AgentF posted:

Nah you jumped to the defense of Shorten just like you do whenever anyone even mildly criticises the ALP. Then someone said that flip-flopping political stances based on who currently has a slim majority isn't the best idea and you brought up dictatorships for some reason. I think we want politicians who are honest about who they are and have personal convictions, instead of politicians terrified of supporting basic legal rights for homosexuals until it looks popular enough to become safe.
"Nah I'm not an ALP supporter" *worships at the altar of Shorten* "Greens are stealing our votes!"

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

Democracy works by cowards caving in to the tyranny of the majority?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Could it be that my comment was on the impossibility of a majority supporting same sex marriage and you coloured it Bill Shorten :nallears:

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

Could it be that my comment was on the impossibility of a majority supporting same sex marriage and you coloured it Bill Shorten :nallears:

I’ve read this 10 times and still cannot parse it

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
And this just in, benevolent dictatorships are better than Australians.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Anidav, why are you on the Lowes mailing list?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The words Bill Shorten are in the post I commented on re 51% of the country supporting SSM and this thread leapt to a hyper aggressive attack on me personally for whatever reason.

racing identity posted:

Democracy works by cowards caving in to the tyranny of the majority?

:chanpop:

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 7, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Thanks LOWES.

You shop at lowes?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Just watched the PM on The Project and I swear this guy can barely string a sentence together without umm err umm umm.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

bigis posted:

Just watched the PM on The Project and I swear this guy can barely string a sentence together without umm err umm umm.

The solution to that is *checks notes*.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Thanks LOWES.

LOVVES.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CrazyTolradi posted:

Feeney is a piece of poo poo and would love to see him get kicked from the parliament.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Anidav, why are you on the Lowes mailing list?
It's where he gets the Hawaiian print suits he wears to interviews.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's where he gets the Hawaiian print suits he wears to interviews.

wait they make hawaiian print suits? *checks asos*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

racing identity posted:

Truly this was a triumph for Bill Shorten, who has been a vocal supporter of marriage equality since the moment the polls said that 51% of Australians supported it

If loving only, that was over a decade ago.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

ABC Releases Guillotine List for 2018

quote:

There were 732 companies who paid no tax in Australia in the 2015-16 financial year. Collectively, their income was more than $500 billion.

It's all in a dataset on corporate tax just released by the Australian Tax Office.

You can see who's paying what by searching the full database below.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

wait they make hawaiian print suits? *checks asos*
I just remember seeing some god-awful looking ones when I used to work in the Brisbane CBD and figured that'd be a natural style for them.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/patbcaruana/status/938584919848099840

https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/938585180570247169

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/search?q=Lyle&src=tren

Eat poo poo Lyle is trending on twitter.

https://twitter.com/jennynoise/status/938733487967805440

:itwaspoo:

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 7, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You shop at lowes?

They make comfy Pajama sets. :colbert:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Let's be honest here. Everyone owns at least one piece of clothing from Lowes, whether they wanted to or not.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Let's be honest here. Everyone owns at least one piece of clothing from Lowes, whether they wanted to or not.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

Pajama sets.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

There is nothing wrong with being a comfy Ned in the Bed neighbourinos.

• Locked thread