Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

quote:

Or is it the end really? If you think it's too early to exit this adventure, go to PAGE 99.

I don't think it's too early to exit this adventure. I recommend Setting the Book on Fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Let's pick the other choice that our character can't actually choose.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ghost writers! :pseudo:

Hey, cousin, let's go bowling.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You wake up. The last thing you remember is finding the piece of parchment that said, "Before the break of day brings light, one Good shall fight one Evil Knight..."

You rub your eyes to clear the sleep out of them. You see Kip and Abbey. But you're not in the garage anymore.

A bare bulb hangs from a wire in the ceiling. It casts a sickly yellow-brown tint over the enormous cavern of a room. The walls and ceiling are the color of mud.

"At least we're still together," you say.

"But where are we?" Abbey asks. "Hello! Is anybody there?"

No one answers.

The air is musty and stale. It reminds you of something. In fact, it's just like the air in the old museum you went to on a school field trip last month. Then you see the buddy sign on one wall: THE MEDIEVAL MUSEUM.

"Hey!" you shout excitedly. "We're downtown. This is the museum where your dad is supposed to speak next week!"

"Museum?" Abbey shoots back at you. "There's nothing here at - " Her mouth is open when a great splat of mud hits her right in the face! THWACK!

quote:

Abbey sputters as she wipes globs of thick brown mud from her mouth and eyes. Now she sees what you and Kip already see. The walls are alive!

Short, square-bodied mud beasts step out from the dirt-colored walls. They start flinging handfuls of thick oozing mud.

"THWAAAAPPP!" A glob catches you in the ear.

"TCHWAAANNK!" A fistful of the well-packed mud covers Kip's sandy hair and slides down over his eyes.

"What's happening?!" Kip cries.

"THWAAAAAPPP! comes the answer in the form of a special delivery mud-o-gram.

The oozy mud in your ear starts to harden and crack. You rip at it with your fingers. "SKOOOOOIIIINSH!" You're caught in the stomach by another mud glob. It hardens on contact. It makes it difficult to breathe. You've got to get out of here!

The Mud Slingers gang up on Abbey. They swing their gorilla arms and pack more solid mudballs to throw at her. "Aaahhhh!" Abbey sobs as one hard mudball nails her in the knee. "Why me? Why me?" she screams, clutching her bashed knee.

quote:

You want to help Abbey. She's clutching her knee in agony. But before you can comfort Abbey, you've got a new problem of your own.

Another Mud Slinger slides out of the wall and stomps toward you. The broad, blubber-lipped creature is so close you can smell his oozy stench. You cough and sputter.

Disgusting streams of muddy liquid ooze from his yellow eyes and flaring nostrils. Right behind him is another Mud Slinger. And another. And another!

If you feel hopelessly walled-in by the mound of menacing Mud Slingers, turn to PAGE 55.

If you pull yourself out of this mud mess, turn to PAGE 86.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Parchment Piece

Goal Endings: 0/1

Bad Endings
Turned into one of the Evil Knight's servants.

Achievements
None yet.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

i guess this is it then! who would have every thought it would end this way, killed by whatever this poo poo is

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

What the hell are these choices? Do you feel like you're in a pinch, or do you actually succeed?

And why are there mud men all of a sudden? And why the hell were we warped to the museum???? what the hell is this book????

this is hopeless

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The gently caress is this? The gently caress is anything?

I give up

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This random encounter is too much for us.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

We're being oppressed!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

So far this book went off the rails even faster than werewolf woods. I think at this point we were still considering looking for our friends warhammers.

Mudmen are too much for us

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Mud spelled backwards is, like this book, dum.

I understand the defeat we're burdened with, which is why I for one feel no need to 100% this. Pull yourselves together!

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Yeah this book is as insane as I remember it.

Abstain

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
> Do you want to get a game over? Y/N
> Y

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

Mud spelled backwards is, like this book, dum.

I understand the defeat we're burdened with, which is why I for one feel no need to 100% this. Pull yourselves together!

Yeah, especially since there’s only one goal ending, I’m fine with getting out of this book ASAP. Don’t die from the mud.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
eat mud and die

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"SPLAT!"

"THWAAAAAT!"

"SOOOWAAACK!"

The Mud Slingers throw their mud faster than you can wipe it away.

Abbey gives up. She stands facing one muddy wall with her hands up over her mud-covered eyes. The monsters stand in front of her like a firing line. They scoop up new mud and pelt her.

You watch in horror as the flung mud covers every inch of her clothing, hair, and skin. In another second it is impossible to see where Abbey ends and the wall begins. She is the wall!"

"Kip!" you shout. "Kip, where are you?"

While you were watching Abbey being mud-ified, Kip was being plastered to another wall. Only his eyes peer out at you. Then, "SCHWAAAAAAP!" he's gone.

You lunge toward the wall where Kip was. You scrape at the hardening mud. You try to say "Kip," but all that comes out of your mouth is a burbling mud burp.

"SWAAAAAAAAAAT!" A warm mudball plasters you in the back. You fall facefirst into the wall of muck.

quote:

A pair of mud-slimed arms push out of the wall. They wrap around you, holding you in place. Mudballs fly at you faster and harder.

"SPLAT!" Your head is covered.

"WHACK!" Your arms are covered.

"TCHOOOWOK! KAAACHINK! SWAAAK!" The thick sludge mud covers all of you. Your mud-encased body stiffens as the ooze hardens.

Welcome to the dirty world of the Evil Knight and his army of Mud Slingers. They always fight dirty and they always, always win in

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Parchment Piece

Bad Endings
:siren:Trapped in a wall of mud by the Mud Slingers.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Open the crate marked EVIL KNIGHT.
  • Press X to not die.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

I wanna see if the first choice was just full of non-choices railroading us in the same direction no matter what. It kinda feels like that could be the case, what with these lovely choices and how there's only one goal ending in this book.

Open the EVIL KNIGHT

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Hmmm, I vote for the back cover, as in closing the book and not opening it again.

But failing that....
Have a Bad Knight.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

X, as in, "I hope this is the book's exit route."

Oh wait, yeah, there's supposed to be an evil knight in this. Let's see how long that lasts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Knowing this book so far, the Evil Knight crate will be a Bill & Ted phonebooth

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

actually, you know what? those guys sounded like chumps! I'm not scarred or giving up at all!

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
I'm starting to think that choosing the Evil Knight just brings us back to the parchment route somehow, so:

We're not giving up! If it's a mud-slinging battle they want, it's a mud-slinging battle they'll get!

PumpkinBat fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 7, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It's time for an early Christmas, and our present is an evil knight.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Let's get this over with and open the Evil Knight box

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I actually liked the joke version of the Army recruitment motto.

But let's play dirty.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Okay, okay. The fun's over," you declare. You move over to the crate marked EVIL KNIGHT and start to loosen the straps holding it shut. It's still shaking a little, but the screaming has died down to a faint moan.

"You really had me going there for a minute," you continue. "Those screams sound pretty scary. And all that moaning and shaking? Wow, you guys are good!"

Kip and Abbey look as if they don't know what you're talking about. But you know better.

"Who did you get to help you with this little prank, anyway? My dad?" you ask. Your dad is just the sort of goofball to go in for something like this too.

You fumble with the leather straps, but you finally get them undone. By now you're chuckling to yourself. It really was a good prank. Complete with these oversized crates. Still, you can't believe you fell for it.

Speaking of falling, that's what the front door to the crate does next. It's also what your lower jaw does - it falls open. You try to scream but all that comes out is a little whimper.

There - in front of you - about a foot from your face - you stare into the laser light eyes of the Knight in Screaming Armor!

quote:

The Evil Knight's head is a steaming hunk of black metal. A sparkling medallion hangs around his neck. Something about his medallion holds your gaze. You can't stop looking at it! With you standing there helpless before him, the Evil Knight raises his heavy sword and... and...

He brings it down and slashes open the back of the crate behind him. The wood shatters like ice.

"IN THE LAND OF THE SAXTONS YOU SHALL BE DESTROYED!" His voice booms over you. You shiver. He glances back at you and then disappears through the new opening.

You're not sure how long you stand there in shock. The next thing you know, Abbey and Kip are standing next to you.

"D-d-d-did you see th-th-that?" you stammer.

"Yeah, no big deal." Abbey tries to stand cool.

"Look!" Kip exclaims. "This hole in the back of the crate - there are hills in it!"

"Yeah, right! What's that mean?" Abbey huffs.

But he's right. You peer through the hole. You see emerald-green hills and a pale blue sky. You feel wind against your face. You feel yourself drawn to the scene. Like you were to the medallion.

"We'd better go through," you say without taking your eyes off the scene before you. "If not, we'll never break this curse thing." You push aside the splinters and step through...

quote:

Kip and Abbey follow you through the hole in the back of the crate. When all three of you are through, something slams shut behind you. You turn to look, and the crate has disappeared! All you see around you are hills. Soft, green, rolling hills.

"It's so beautiful," you say. "It's a whole new world." You rub your eyes, but it doesn't go away.

"It's OUR world!" Abbey exclaims. "We're back in England!"

"It's exactly where the Evil Knight wants us to be," Kip says softly. "England. The land of the Saxtons. England."

"Who cares?" Abbey says. "We're home!"

"Don't look so happy," Kip warns. "The Evil Knight wants to destroy us. We may be home for good! Or should I say, for evil?"

You gaze around you stunned. There's no way to explain what just happened to you. Hundreds of sheep are grazing on a nearby hill. One wild-looking ram glances up at you. Your heart jumps.

"His eyes are glowing!" you cry out.

Your pulse starts to race. The horned head of the ram morphs into the armored head of the Evil Knight! He lowers his head and paws the ground. Steam pours through the grill on his helmet.

"He's going to ram us!" you cry. "Run for your lives!"

quote:

Led by the Evil Knight, the whole herd of sheep stampedes! Terror grips you, as the thundering herd bears down on the three of you. You are about to be trampled!

The stampede sounds like a sonic boom. You wrap your arms around your head and wait to feel the pain of a hundred little hooves pounding you into the grass. So this is how he plans to destroy us, you think. You open your mouth to scream, but you can't hear anything over the thundering of sheep feet.

Then, suddenly, there's nothing but the sound of screaming. Your own screaming. You peek through your arms.

The stampeding herd is gone. The hills are gone. All that's left are prickle bushes. You're buried in prickle bushes. And they hurt!

quote:

"Ouch!" Abbey cries. She breaks herself free from the prickly bush. You can't help laughing. Abbey's a human pincushion! She has little prickly leaves stuck all over her.

"OUCH!" you and Kip say together as you fall out of the bushes. You find yourselves looking like two porcupines too.

You hear giggles. And they're not Abbey's. You glance over your shoulder and see something you never imagined you'd see.

Two miniature men are laughing and rolling on the ground. Each man is about the size of a football. They laugh and smack their knees and point at you.

"Pixies!" Kip cries.

"Pixies?" you say. "You've got to be kidding me!"

The little men disappear for a minute. They resurface in the bushes close by.

"This way out!" one giggles, pointing to the left.

"No, this way out!" says the other, pointing to the right. Which one can you trust?

Follow the pixie pointing to the left on PAGE 32.

Follow the pixie pointing to the right on PAGE 100.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Trapped in a wall of mud by the Mud Slingers.

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 9, 2017

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

:goleft:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Go right!

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Rebonack7 posted:

quote:

"Okay, okay. The fun's over,"

It sure is!

Go right.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I vote Go Left so that we now have a tie.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

This is the worst DMT trip.

I always hug the left wall when I don't know which way to go.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
What... what was the point of the whole sheep thing? There was no choice, we just closed out eyes and woke up somewhere else.

Go Left

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Why would you go after the knight?! The so-called Evil Knight had the perfect opportunity to off 3 Saxtons, yet chose to go back to England.

Why would you feel the need to pursue? Unless it's implied that he went back in time to kill off ancestral Saxtons, which would lead to them unexisting, which would provide a motive to go after him.

Left pixie, I guess.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Let's go to the left," Abbey says, pulling thorns out of her arms. "There's a cottage down the hill. Maybe we can get help there."

"Hello? Am I the only one who thinks there's something weird going on here?" you ask. Abbey and Kip can't here you. They're already walking across the windy meadow toward the cottage.

"Pixies!" you mumble to yourself. You take off after Kip and Abbey.

You don't get far when you hear a deafening rumble. It sounds like an earthquake! You see bits of turf flying in the air! You turn and look behind you to see...

HEDGES! Killer hedges. They're growing at an incredible rate. Actually, they're not so much growing as bursting through the earth in jagged lines. Walls of branches and leaves. And it looks as if, yes, they are... heading right for you!

It's time to start sprinting again. And there's no use screaming about it, either. Now's the time to MOVE!

quote:

Hedges are exploding out of the ground fully grown. They're spreading toward you with amazing speed. You're no match for them. They burst past you, blocking your path. You try to stop short. But not fast enough to avoid a faceful of prickles. Kip and Abbey, too.

You start to run the other way. But you don't get far before you come up against another wall of hedge!

It doesn't seem to matter which way you turn. Any open path is instantly blocked by a solid wall of high bramble bushes.

Prickers grab at you as you run past! You shake them off and keep on running. You have to get out of here! The walls around you grow higher and higher, cutting the sky into lines of blue.

The three of you race in every direction. But it's no use. You stop for a second to catch your breath.

The ground beneath you starts to rumble and shake. "Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!" you scream. You can imagine the hedge about to explode through the ground and up through your body! You brace yourself.

But then it stops. It's quiet again. Except for Kip.

"We're trapped!" he bellows. "What do we do now?"

quote:

You stare at the walls of greenery surrounding you. "The hedges are too high," you say. "We can't climb over them."

"It looks like a maze," Abbey comments. "You know, Kip, like they used to have at royal palaces and stuff? I wonder if there's a way out."

"We'll either have to find our way out or break through the hedge. We can't stay in here forever," you say.

"Forever!" Kip wails.

"Knock it off, Kip!" you and Abbey both cry.

So what will it be?

If you try to find your way out, turn to PAGE 51.

If you try to break through the hedge instead, turn to PAGE 116.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Trapped in a wall of mud by the Mud Slingers.

Achievements
None yet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Break on through to the other side.

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.

Cross over the cell bars, find a new maze, make the maze from it's path, find the cell bars, cross over the bars, find a maze, make the maze from its path, eat the food, eat the path.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Hold up. First we have a completely random left or right choice with nothing motivating either, but then when we make the choice... Our character isn't the one who decided it, but our companions, while our player character expresses disdain at following our choice. And it's because the choice to go left was given by a picked... But so was the only other possible decision...

There are so many ways this book hates the reader here. It's kind of impressive.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Wow, this is stupid.

Let's break on through

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

:what:

You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 9, 2017

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
This guy is really loving bad at actually killing us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Use one of our cousins as a shield and push through the brambles.