Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Hahahahaha. I can’t wait to see how this ends

Edit: I actually just read some of the twitter thread on this. I never realized how many fans were upset by his comments. “Put up or shut up” etc. These people realize the whole book is documenting him not being good enough to make it on the worldtour right? Are you not allowed to have opinions unless your Peter Sagan?

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
As if any top pro rider would haul a motor around the loving Ronde

The whole thing is stupid but funny as hell

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

paddyboat posted:

As if any top pro rider would haul a motor around the loving Ronde

The whole thing is stupid but funny as hell

That's the genius of his bike changes -- the van hauls it around to the hard stuff :tinfoil:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I know you're joking but people argue that too. The idea that someone would voluntarily chase back on in the fuckin Ronde is just as crazy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Oh also, the cobbles? Perfect noise cover for capacitor whine and motor noise.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
It's so weird that Cancellara still happened to be the strongest rider in the world well after they were checking for hidden motors.

I guess he could release his old srm files. The tinfoil people would probably say they were doctored or something.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The truth is starting to come out about British cycling fraud. Britain should be banned from the Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1WTw6nYSmA

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Shane Sutton is extremely easy to dislike. What a oval office.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Froome's aiming for the giro.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/29/chris-froome-giro-ditalia-cycling-grand-slam-tour-titles

Sky's doctors must have found something they can't test for yet

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Froome v Big D should be good

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
avert thine eyes

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Still better than brown shorts.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Withnail posted:

avert thine eyes

It looks like they just bought a POC jersey and slapped some logos on it. Weak.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The day is finally here, boys.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-returns-adverse-analytical-finding-for-salbutamol/

Xabi fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 13, 2017

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
thank. gently caress.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's just high levels of asthma medication, it's not going to result in poo poo

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

It's just high levels of asthma medication, it's not going to result in poo poo

Your doped up fraud is done here. Make Cycling Great Again! Woo!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

With how slow this thread can get in the offseason I saw 7 unread posts and genuinely thought to myself "hmm maybe Froome tested positive" holy poo poo merry christmas all

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Here's the thing

If you have asthma, an inhaler gets you back to 'normal'

If you don't it does gently caress all, you can't dope with that stuff

This means gently caress all, you don't even need a TUE for it so it can't even result in that silly ban Yates got

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Here's the thing

If you have asthma, an inhaler gets you back to 'normal'

If you don't it does gently caress all, you can't dope with that stuff

This means gently caress all, you don't even need a TUE for it so it can't even result in that silly ban Yates got

Utter nonsense

And Petacchi and Ulissi have received lenghty bans for the same exact substance and at lower levels than Froome

https://mobile.twitter.com/room808/status/940851633042452480

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aside from one small study the bulk of evidence since then has shown it does nothing for performance if you dont have asthma

This wont result in poo poo

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Salbutomol is a making substance. He's done.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I love how inhalers supposedly gets you back to 'normal' and definitely doesn't improve you beyond that (lol). I wonder how they measure that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Xabi posted:

I love how inhalers supposedly gets you back to 'normal' and definitely doesn't improve you beyond that (lol). I wonder how they measure that.

Never heard of a peak flow test then I guess

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

"The limit of 1000 ng/ml in the urine is calculated for 16 puffs"

So he took 32+ puffs lmao how is this guy alive? Nah he was taking it orally i reckon

"It has been demonstrated in numerous studies that the use of albuterol can help to increase muscular strength in users. These are often accompanied by increases in muscle mass. Specifically, in one such study it was noted that users of albuterol showed much greater improvements in strength when compared to a control group, after both groups had previously been training for ten weeks with no significant differences in their progress. The group given albuterol also showed larger increases in lean body mass (2). The doses for these individuals began at 4 milligrams per day, given orally, and were increased and then maintained at 16 milligrams per day for the duration of the study. Similar findings were made in another study where the subjects only trained their quadriceps muscles. Again, both gains in strength and muscle size were noted in the group that was administered albuterol during their training (3).

However the performance enhancing ability of albuterol is seemingly not limited to strength training. It was shown that the times of users performing endurance exercises significantly improved with the use of albuterol (4). Interestingly these improvements were accomplished without the drug negatively impacting the VO2, respiratory exchange ratio, heart rate or plasma free fatty acid and glycerol concentration of users during the exercise conducted. Rather the plasma lactate and potassium concentrations were altered. This would all bode well for endurance athletes who are looking to improve their athletic output and not negatively impact other areas of their performance capabilities."

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Xabi posted:

This may have changed since when I was doing endurance sports (10ish years ago) but back then the procedure was something like the following:

- Do a test of flow of air to the lungs without medications
- Take asthma medication
- Repeat the test

If the flow improved sufficiently, you've got asthma, and can take the medication. If not, you don't and can't take the medication.

By that procedure, literally, if you're not diagnostized with asthma the medication won't help you.

Mind, that's from second-hand descriptions, and I never looked into it any closer.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Maybe they infused some banked blood bags at the vuelta and it spiked his levels

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

scaevola posted:

This may have changed since when I was doing endurance sports (10ish years ago) but back then the procedure was something like the following:

- Do a test of flow of air to the lungs without medications
- Take asthma medication
- Repeat the test

If the flow improved sufficiently, you've got asthma, and can take the medication. If not, you don't and can't take the medication.

By that procedure, literally, if you're not diagnostized with asthma the medication won't help you.

Mind, that's from second-hand descriptions, and I never looked into it any closer.

This is it essentially, I've got exercise induced asthma so have been through all this

You get the 'normal' level when you're sitting down, relaxed, below a certain hr etc

You get a peak flow test, and a test that I can't remember the name of but you have to empty your lungs of every bit of air

Then you take the inhaler, redo the test and if it improves that's your normal level and you have asthma

If you don't, it does absolutely gently caress all aside from heart palpitations if you're unlucky

In my case it does nothing at that point, so then you do the same on a treadmill. Above a certain hr (and worse with cold air) it all goes south

Same test, this time peak flow drops, inhaler gets it back up to 'normal' levels

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Never heard of a peak flow test then I guess
Salty. It's not my fault that Froome has been caught red handed, I'm just the messenger FFS!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

This is it essentially, I've got exercise induced asthma so have been through all this

You get the 'normal' level when you're sitting down, relaxed, below a certain hr etc

You get a peak flow test, and a test that I can't remember the name of but you have to empty your lungs of every bit of air

Then you take the inhaler, redo the test and if it improves that's your normal level and you have asthma

If you don't, it does absolutely gently caress all aside from heart palpitations if you're unlucky

In my case it does nothing at that point, so then you do the same on a treadmill. Above a certain hr (and worse with cold air) it all goes south

Same test, this time peak flow drops, inhaler gets it back up to 'normal' levels
Ok but this has nothing to do with Froome who was gakked out on huge doses and sprinting up mountains faster than anyone not to mention he claims to have bilharzia as well which is a condition that can't coexist with asthma

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You guys are really clutching at straws here, when he gets caught with dodgy steak then get excited

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

He's been caught taking an explicitly banned substance far in excess of the permitted levels for medical needs though? That's hardly 'clutching at straws'.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

With how slow this thread can get in the offseason I saw 7 unread posts and genuinely thought to myself "hmm maybe Froome tested positive" holy poo poo merry christmas all

19 posts here, so for me it was that, plus "maybe he already Budd Dwyer'd himself". Merry Christmas to you too

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

imagine having the kind of positivity and optimism where someone gets a red flag in a piss test in cycling of all sports and you assume theres nothing wrong.

pretty sure they include some epo when you go to argos to pick up your toddler's first bike

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

HappyCamperGL posted:

He's been caught taking an explicitly banned substance far in excess of the permitted levels for medical needs though? That's hardly 'clutching at straws'.

Until he gets popped for something with actual performance benefits I'm not holding my breath that's all

And imagine having the kind of negativety that this is all a cause for celebration

Re: that study about taking it orally do you honestly think they'd be that stupid?

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 13, 2017

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
It's not negativity. It's a bunch of people hoping the tour + giro this year won't be poo poo.

Also, maybe the effects are marginal

gains ?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I'm sorry that your hero is doped to the gills, Skarsnik. I really am.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Meanwhile, Geraint Thomas slips away in the shadows after screwing a double strength capsule into Froome's inhaler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

Until he gets popped for something with actual performance benefits I'm not holding my breath that's all

And imagine having the kind of negativety that this is all a cause for celebration

Re: that study about taking it orally do you honestly think they'd be that stupid?

And it's on the banned for what, shits and giggles.