Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

There Bias Two posted:

Awww how cute child exploitation.
The GOP has really found its game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Munkeymon posted:

So aside from the Republicans' disbelief in, you know, math, this is a worrying turn. A big Senate race could get the GOP vote out in '18 which would be bad for my hopes and dreams of turbofucking Republicans in a wave year.

Minnesota is a good and cool state, we had a bit of a rough spot in '16 but have faith in us.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/06/al-franken-senate-smith-211125

That's... not ideal.

So aside from the Republicans' disbelief in, you know, math, this is a worrying turn. A big Senate race could get the GOP vote out in '18 which would be bad for my hopes and dreams of turbofucking Republicans in a wave year.

They'd have to keep some Roy Moore clone from winning the primary first, and I don't think Moore-type lunacy would fly as well in Minnesota as it does in Alabama.

Also, loving :lol: at the MNGOP not being able to get over losing to Franken in 2006. As for a "big" Senate race, all the races are going to be big. Control of the Senate will hinge on 3-4 races in 2018. Yes, not appointing someone who's interested in running for reelection is kinda dumb, but it's hardly a prescription for certain defeat.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 7, 2017

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

FunkMonkey posted:

Each country's enmity toward the other today is grossly overblown and you shouldn't use the consistently conservative governments or a small minority of backwards shitheels posting gag polls as reads on the populations in general. It doesn't excuse the bigots who do exist, but it's not an accurate snapshot of the community at large.

I've lived in both countries, and based on my personal experience, I don't think that's really true. Japanese folks tend to be racist the same way a lot of white folks are racist- they hold stereotypes about Koreans and don't acknowledge the ways Koreans face discrimination in Japan- rather than outright hatred. There are a lot of Koreans who have a big chip on their shoulder because of Japan's brutal occupation during the first half of the 20th century- I heard and saw frequent references to monkeys, and Dokkdo was brought up super-frequently.

America certainly doesn't have a monopoly on racism.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

farraday posted:

Well the polling on County Clerk races in Kentucky is noticeably spotty.

That being said when she won as a Democrat in 2014 she received 53% of the vote, running for her mothers position. On the other hand Trump won the county with 59% of the vote. It will likely depend more on the reactions to her personally in the county.

Wait. Kim Davis is a democrat. What the poo poo why doesn't the state party pull their support.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Hollismason posted:

Wait. Kim Davis is a democrat. What the poo poo why doesn't the state party pull their support.
They have much less to lose by just ignoring the race.

Edit: Also, she's a Republican now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/26/politics/kim-davis-no-longer-democrat/index.html

my guess is that the state parties don't have any actual support to pull from local county clerk elections so her affiliation is purely nominal regardless

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah but still they shouldn't be giving her any support whatso ever.

Like Kim Davis losing to the man she discriminated against would be phenomenal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but still they shouldn't be giving her any support whatso ever.

Like Kim Davis losing to the man she discriminated against would be phenomenal.

They probably aren't. I doubt county clerks get any degree of party support. It's probably just a matter of declaring your party on the ballot form, and this is likely her first re-election since she became controversial.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Can someone please put my mind at ease regarding Franken? Why would he do this on the floor of the Senate instead of in a press conference? Is he planning on making some sort of foolish Teddy Roosevelt-esque last stand?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Alter Ego posted:

Can someone please put my mind at ease regarding Franken? Why would he do this on the floor of the Senate instead of in a press conference? Is he planning on making some sort of foolish Teddy Roosevelt-esque last stand?

Poster board stills from the Piss Tape and an easel

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

Press conferences mean people shoving microphones in your face and demanding answers to questions. Floor of the Senate means you can use your time and retire into obscurity right away, change your phone numbers, and move to Canada.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alter Ego posted:

He wants to get a few last squeezes in.

Alternate, darker joke: Squeezing a revolver trigger.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Alter Ego posted:

My thought is that they pressured him into saying some words about why sexual harassment and assault are bad before resigning, to make an example of him for the Alabama senate race.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
538 has their prediction out for AL-SEN: who the gently caress knows? (but Moore has an edge)

In a twist of irony, they are using the same headline they used for Clinton-Trump last year with the names changed as the situation is about the same in terms of polling margin.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/doug-jones-is-just-a-normal-polling-error-away-from-a-win-in-alabama/

The bottom line is that average margin the poll aggregate is off is 5 points and the true margin of error for any Senate poll in a normal situation is about 13 points off. This is anything but a normal situation and no one has had either Moore or Jones up that much. The margin is almost certain to not be what the polling margin is, we just can't really discern if it'll fall in favor of Jones or Moore.

quote:

Doug Jones Is Just A Normal Polling Error Away From A Win In Alabama

Things seem to be going Roy Moore’s way. President Trump endorsed him. The Republican National Committee is back to supporting him. And Moore, who has been accused of sexual contact with women when they were underaged, has led by an average of 3 percentage points in polls1 taken within 21 days of the Dec. 12 special Senate election in Alabama. The betting markets give Moore about an 80 percent chance of victory — roughly the same chance they gave Hillary Clinton just before the 2016 presidential election.

Before Election Day last year, we advised caution, however — polls aren’t perfect at even the best of times, Trump had an advantage in the Electoral College, and there were a lot of undecided voters. So what’s our advice heading into the Alabama election? Well, it’s the same — be cautious — but for slightly different reasons.

A look at all U.S. Senate election polls since 19982 shows that their average error — how far off the polls were from the actual election result — is more than a percentage point higher than the average error in presidential polling. Also, Alabama polls have been volatile, this is an off-cycle special election with difficult-to-predict turnout, and there haven’t been many top-quality pollsters surveying the Alabama race. So even though Moore is a favorite, Democrat Doug Jones is just a normal polling error away from winning. (Or, by the same token, Moore could win comfortably.)

The polls in Alabama have swung back and forth between Moore and Jones over the past month. The Washington Post first reported on allegations against Moore on Nov. 9, and after that, surveys indicated that the race was moving in Jones’s direction. He held an average advantage of 5 percentage points in polls that were taken six or seven days following the story. Since then, polls have Moore ahead by 3 points, on average, although Jones led by 3 points in a Washington Post poll. (That’s the only recent survey that meets FiveThirtyEight’s gold standard)

When an electorate seems to be volatile and there aren’t many high-quality pollsters in the field (by traditional standards), it’s wise to tread lightly. It’s possible that voters will turn on Moore again in the final week of the campaign.

But even if Alabama’s special election were just a normal Senate campaign with normal candidates, a lead in the low single digits would be far from secure. Simply put, Senate polling has not been especially predictive over the past 10 cycles. Among the 2,075 Senate polls in the FiveThirtyEight database that were taken within 21 days of an election, the average error has been 5.1 percentage points. And that has been fairly consistent across cycles. The 2016 Senate polls featured an average error of 5.2 percentage points.

The average error tends to understate the chance for a large miss, however. The true margin of error (i.e., the 95 percent confidence interval) is significantly wider. For the polling in Senate campaigns since 1998, it’s closer to +/- 13 percentage points for any individual poll. There hasn’t been a single public poll taken in Alabama since the Republican primary runoff that has given either Jones or Moore that large of a lead.

And the chance of a big error may be unusually high in Alabama. Because of the unusual timing of the election, pollsters may have a difficult time determining who is going to turn out to vote. In the 59 Senate polls for special and runoff elections since 1998 that we have (admittedly, not a huge sample), the average error has been 5.8 percentage points. That’s nearly a point larger than the average error for all Senate polls.

There’s more. Alabama’s election could present even more challenges to pollsters. Some Republicans may be ashamed to admit to pollsters that they are voting for someone facing sexual misconduct allegations. Others may be reluctant to vote at all because of the scandal. As I have previously pointed out, slight differences in who pollsters expect to turn out can make major differences in how big Jones’s or Moore’s polling lead is. Both the Post and YouGov have shown that likely voters are more favorable to Moore than the larger universe of registered voters. So, Moore may have a turnout advantage, though it’s difficult to know.

The polling in Alabama does have one thing going for it. Because the campaign has become high-profile, eight public polls have been taken that fall within the three weeks leading up to the election. Based on past Senate campaigns, the more polls that are included in an average the more predictive it tends to be.

In 72 Senate elections since 1998 in which the FiveThirtyEight database had five to nine polls to average, the polling average has been off by an average of 4.2 percentage points. That’s about a point lower than the error of any single poll. It’s conceivable that by Dec. 12, we could have a total of more than 10 polls taken in the final three weeks of the campaign. Since 1998, the average error in the 81 Senate elections with 10 polls or more has been 3.5 percentage points.

Still, even if averaging polls gives us a better understanding of the race than looking at polls individually, that doesn’t mean the average will correctly identify the eventual winner. It’s a close race — close enough that the normal inexactness of polling gives either candidate a good chance of winning. Moore’s 3-point lead is smaller than the average error when there are only five to nine polls to average. Additionally, Moore’s average edge is smaller than the true margin of error for the average. Based on past campaigns, the true margin of error for an average of five to nine surveys is about +/- 10.4 percentage points.

Of course, Democrats shouldn’t go into Alabama assuming that a poll miss will necessarily benefit Jones. In fact, the favorite is just as likely to benefit as the underdog. Just last month, for example, Democrat Ralph Northam won the Virginia gubernatorial election by 9 points after an average of polls had him winning by only 3. An error of 6 points or more that goes in Moore’s direction could turn this race into a relative blowout.

Finally, it’s also possible that the Alabama polls are close to perfect. In the 2016 Louisiana Senate runoff, the last Senate election not to take place on Election Day, the final 21-day average was off by only 2 points. Just because the chance of a polling miss is relatively high in Alabama doesn’t mean it will occur.

The bottom line is that with less than a week to go in the campaign, Moore seems to have the edge — but he’s far from a sure thing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

A look at all U.S. Senate election polls since 19982

No wonder he's so good at predictions, the cheater is from the future.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Cru Jones posted:

Minnesota is a good and cool state, we had a bit of a rough spot in '16 but have faith in us.

Trump barely lost last year and Franken barely won. All bets are off as far as I can see.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I live in a major metropolitan area and until recently I was making 18k/year and supporting my wife while doing so.

I'm now making 75k/year and literally have more money than I know what to do with it, I'm making so much more than my standard of living costs.

I give most of it to charities.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Alter Ego posted:

Maybe he's gonna go out with a blast and read something classified into the congressional record, like was done with the Pentagon Papers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Withnail posted:

Uh, he's chasing a trans kid out of the girl's room?

So they're okay with some grown kiddie chaser just hanging around a kids bathroom and watching them piss?

Note: phone keeps trying to auto correct pee as PRESIDENT. COINCIDENCE?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Phil Bredesen is running for Corkers seat next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_gI8odWGGI

Was previously the mayor of Nashville and the governor of Tennessee.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

He wants to get a few last squeezes in.

Alternate, darker joke: Squeezing a revolver trigger.

Prove that everyone in the senate will say that Cruz shot himself?

note to secret service/LEOs, I am just repeating something other regressive have said about Cruz themselves and how he's the most hated person in the senate.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
-We all know Washington is broken
-Playing partisan games and focusing on re-election
-Back here in America
-I'm a successful businessman

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Additionally, for those who think that Conyers and Fraken resigning is bad because the GOP will never suffer consequences for their sexmonsters, take heart:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-democrats-are-finally-pushing-franken-to-resign/

quote:

There’s also some partisan asymmetry in how voters interpret these claims. As The Huffington Post’s Ariel Edwards-Levy points out, voters in both parties largely believe sexual harassment claims made against the other party — but Democrats also tend to believe claims made against fellow Democrats, while Republicans are more skeptical about claims made against GOP lawmakers. Note, of course, that Trump won the Electoral College last year and received 88 percent of the Republican vote despite more than a dozen accusations of sexual misconduct against him.

All of this can be frustrating to Democratic and liberal commentators, who complain about “unilateral disarmament,” i.e. the notion that Democratic legislators such as Franken and Rep. John Conyers will be forced to resign because of sexual misconduct allegations while Republicans such as Moore, Trump and Texas Rep. Blake Farenthold will survive theirs because their bases will rally behind them.

This may be more of a curse than a blessing for Republicans, however. Somewhat contrary to the conventional wisdom, the allegations against Moore have had a meaningful impact in Alabama. Moore has put Republicans in an unenviable position: He’ll either lose a race to a Democrat in one of America’s reddest states, trigger a nasty intraparty fight over expulsion, or stay in office but potentially damage the Republican brand for years to come. Voter concern over Republican mishandling of the accusations against GOP Rep. Mark Foley, who sent sexually explicit messages to underaged teenage pages, was a contributing factor in the landslide losses Republicans suffered in 2006. And while it isn’t a perfect analogy because they weren’t accused of sexual misconduct themselves, Missouri’s Todd Akin and Indiana’s Richard Mourdock lost highly winnable Senate races for Republicans in 2012 after making controversial comments about women who had been raped.

So it may well be that Democratic politicians usually resign from office when faced with accusations of sexual harassment while Republicans usually don’t. If so, that could work to Democrats’ benefit. If the Democrat is in a safe seat, he’ll be replaced with another Democrat anyway. And if he’s in a swing seat, the party would often be better off with a new candidate rather than one who’s damaged goods. In Minnesota, for instance, Franken’s approval rating has plunged to 36 percent, according to a SurveyUSA poll, down from 53 percent last year. Whichever Democrat replaces him would have to win the special election in 2018 but would then probably have an easier time than Franken holding the seat for the full six-year term that comes up in 2020.

Moreover, a tougher stance toward accused harassers such as Franken makes Democrats look less hypocritical when party leaders such as Nancy Pelosi talk about having “zero tolerance” on sexual harassment.

Maintaining the moral high ground isn’t always easy. It means you have to hold your party to a higher standard than the other party. It means you sometimes have to make real trade-offs. But it can also pay political dividends and mitigate political risks. Democrats just lost an election in 2016 against a historically unpopular candidate because their candidate was disliked nearly as much. The political environment is favorable for Democrats in 2018, but perhaps the easiest way that Democrats could blow their opportunity is if voters conclude that as bad as Republicans are, Democrats are no better. With Democrats coming around to a tougher stance on Franken and Conyers while Republicans equivocate on Moore and restore funding to his campaign, they’ll be able to draw a clearer distinction for voters.

I think Nate's read on AL-SEN is right. The Dems win regardless of whatever outcome occurs.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

All this talk of Seoul getting flattened makes me want to post the poll again:

I guess we know the percentage of old people in the Korean population, and it's 21.2 percent.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

sam seder is back at MSNBC because they understand sarcasm now

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/938773934765428738

gently caress cernovich

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thalantos posted:

I live in a major metropolitan area and until recently I was making 18k/year and supporting my wife while doing so.

I'm now making 75k/year and literally have more money than I know what to do with it, I'm making so much more than my standard of living costs.

I give most of it to charities.

I feel like there's an important part of this story missing.

Are you squatting in an abandoned house in Detroit?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

I guess we know the percentage of old people in the Korean population, and it's 21.2 percent.

게다가 일본은 파괴되어야한다.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Which goon is this

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

Bredesen was hugely popular. This is a big deal. He could definitely win.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Which goon is this

Please don't post my private text message conversations Blitz :smith:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

게다가 일본은 파괴되어야한다.

So, how many generations do you think it'll take before the Koreans aren't suppressing a national will to slaughter the Japanese?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well, he was the Democrats' prime recruiting target. I think if anyone can put the seat in play for us it's probably Bredesen, even if "in play" means going from impossible to merely improbable.

And knowing the DSCC, I'm just glad they didn't decide that Harold Ford would have been a better choice :barf:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cru Jones posted:

Yeah, see my post upthread for why I'm worried.

Alter Ego posted:

They'd have to keep some Roy Moore clone from winning the primary first, and I don't think Moore-type lunacy would fly as well in Minnesota as it does in Alabama.

Also, loving :lol: at the MNGOP not being able to get over losing to Franken in 2006. As for a "big" Senate race, all the races are going to be big. Control of the Senate will hinge on 3-4 races in 2018. Yes, not appointing someone who's interested in running for reelection is kinda dumb, but it's hardly a prescription for certain defeat.

They could just have Coleman come back. Plenty of name recognition and he's not an obviously crazy person.

I'm worried because a real senate race without a well-liked incumbent will get way more attention from the RNC. More money is going to come in and turnout among Republicans is going to be better because their GOTV will be bigger and better funded and there'll just be another actual statewide race instead of a foregone conclusion. As a result, they'll probably keep stage legislature seats they would otherwise have lost and maybe get a senator out of the whole thing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Handsome Ralph posted:

What's this guy's deal? Orange-flavored Zell Miller?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

They could just have Coleman come back. Plenty of name recognition and he's not an obviously crazy person.

I'm worried because a real senate race without a well-liked incumbent will get way more attention from the RNC. More money is going to come in and turnout among Republicans is going to be better because their GOTV will be bigger and better funded and there'll just be another actual statewide race instead of a foregone conclusion. As a result, they'll probably keep stage legislature seats they would otherwise have lost and maybe get a senator out of the whole thing.

Coleman last ran for Senate in 2008, before the Tea Party was a thing. It was in its infancy then, only existing at Sarah Palin's rallies.

He'd find the current environment much harder to be accepted in without tacking HARD right.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

That's the issue for all the Dem-held seats though.

Provided the national environment remains anti-GOP, so long as the Dems don't do anything stupid they should still win the 2018 election.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I don't really understand the kvetching over the GOP paying attention and spending money on this race or that--they're going to spend money and attention on anyone they think they can beat, including Elizabeth Warren here in MA. Worrying about what they're going to do is largely pointless--we should be focused on making the 2018 environment as hostile to them as possible.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Well, he was the Democrats' prime recruiting target. I think if anyone can put the seat in play for us it's probably Bredesen, even if "in play" means going from impossible to merely improbable.

And knowing the DSCC, I'm just glad they didn't decide that Harold Ford would have been a better choice :barf:

Write in campaign for Prince Mongo 2018 - it's the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Resources related to the Thomas Fire:

http://library.sbcc.edu/blog/2017/12/06/resources-for-students-impacted-by-the-thomas-fire/

Please let me know if anyone needs help or support via PM or Discord (Wren #7859). Stay safe, goons.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 7, 2017

• Locked thread