Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

This only applies to matched play for the record. If you're doing narrative or something knock yourself out.

I'd square this up with the opponent pre-game. In my group, we use the matched play rules all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

adamantium|wang posted:

I know I'm late but these are cool. I used to love doing a bit more work on the larger bases of the HWTs:

I've got some bare plastic missile launcher teams picking their way through rubble somewhere, but missiles sucking rear end the last couple of editions has keep me from painting them. Might have to dig them out once I get this two man wrecking crew done:

Thanks dude. I have 15 HWTs now and they're all modelled to some extent. They're a really great platform for that kind of light hobby stuff thanks to the big base and relatively small model on top of it. I like your sandbags, it's a good look for mortars.

I definitely feel you on the missile launcher thing. I have 3 4-ML Dev squads for my BA from back when them supporting a Descent of Angels was a passable list, and I have zero urge to paint the one unpainted squad now that they're so underwhelming. I'll probably do it just to practice some BA before doing up some new stuff (since turning my BA into a reasonable 8th army is more or less starting from scratch), but it's a shame to do it knowing they'll only get used as filler until more useful things can be built and painted.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Harkano posted:

I'm still very new and I was just wondering if you could briefly explain makes the Relic Sicaran stand out above say a All Las Predator? The AP and Damage on the Accelerators seem way less than a Lascannon. Is it the number of shots on the Accelerators and the extra wounds? Or is it the Neutron Cannon one? (side note: why the hell are the Sicarans elites rather than HS?). I'm assuming a target like a Russ.

The number of shots balances out the ap and damage loss for the accelerator cannon for the most part, that combined with it being tougher and I think faster with a very low profile and no penalty for firing on the move means you can hide it behind terrain and pop out on your turn to paste a unit with no penalty while predators are stuck choosing between hitting on 4s or risking getting blown away before they get a chance to act, since they are something of a priority target.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Artum posted:

The number of shots balances out the ap and damage loss for the accelerator cannon for the most part, that combined with it being tougher and I think faster with a very low profile and no penalty for firing on the move means you can hide it behind terrain and pop out on your turn to paste a unit with no penalty while predators are stuck choosing between hitting on 4s or risking getting blown away before they get a chance to act, since they are something of a priority target.

This. In addition zero penalties for shooting flyers, and being a good 30 points cheaper. If you want a sicaran that has comparable anti-tank abilities the venator also received somewhere in the realm of a 75 point drop, and doesn't suffer from movement penalties. It clocks in around 235(40 points over a quad las pred) if you take it with double Lascannons, but is deadlier and once again you can move 14 inches and shoot without penalty.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

very low profile
I'm not sure what Sicarans you've been looking at, but that is not a small tank. I've always found mine difficult to hide in 30k.

(not mine, just a size comparison)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Those are some nice looking tanks!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Sicaran has some very definite advantages over Predators- even ones you missed like a more flexible main weapons that maintains mostly the same damage potential against vehicles- but it isn't even close to having a small profile. It's basically the same size as my Repulsor.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Uroboros posted:

This. In addition zero penalties for shooting flyers, and being a good 30 points cheaper. If you want a sicaran that has comparable anti-tank abilities the venator also received somewhere in the realm of a 75 point drop, and doesn't suffer from movement penalties. It clocks in around 235(40 points over a quad las pred) if you take it with double Lascannons, but is deadlier and once again you can move 14 inches and shoot without penalty.

Artum posted:

Thanks guys. I'll maybe proxy it and give him a go in place of a Pred.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Picked up the BA book this afternoon. Looking forward to having a play at making Better Marines.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

Picked up the BA book this afternoon. Looking forward to having a play at making Better Marines.

I thought it didn't come out until Saturday?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
lol if you dont have an early hookup

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I thought it didn't come out until Saturday?

I am of course posting from the future, for any GW employees who happen to be reading this.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Request time, you dirty heretics!

I know what Mortarion and Magnus look like, thanks to their models, but i'm curious - what do the other Daemon Primarchs look like? Is there any art of them? I know Angron is big and red, and Fulgrim is a giant snake man.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Lorgar stayed mostly the same, 'cept he's giant and got a crown of horns now.

Ditto with Perty, giant and more machine now than man.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Are they bigger than they already were? Primarchs are like 10 feet tall, aren't they?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
We're talking "Can wrestle a Knight without breaking a sweat" huge now.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Angron is the size of a warhound titan.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Angron is the size of a warhound titan.

Holy poo poo! That's intimidating. What are they up to? Angron is banished by the Grey Knights to the warp. I'm curious if GW will be releasing any further Primarchs.

It makes sense to release Magnus and Morty, cause of the Thousand Sons & Death Guard releases.

Also, does Magnus just not give a poo poo what happened to his legion? If he's a sorcerer of that magnitude, can he not just reverse Ahriman's gently caress up?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Couple questions about the GSC strategems:

How does Return to the Shadows work in Matched Play? RttS says the unit redeploys at the end of the following movement phase, but MP rules say everything needs to be on the board by the end of battle round three. If I pull a unit out in round three or later are they then destroyed?

Also, does the Primus get his re-roll in addition to the 3D6 roll for Meticulous Uprising?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Warhammer Twitch are talking about Orlocks for Necromunda. They've just confirmed that they will be compatible with the Stealer Cult upgrade sprue. So there's some more variety for that army. Biker thug cultists.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Magnus works in mysterious ways

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Holy poo poo! That's intimidating. What are they up to? Angron is banished by the Grey Knights to the warp. I'm curious if GW will be releasing any further Primarchs.

It makes sense to release Magnus and Morty, cause of the Thousand Sons & Death Guard releases.

Also, does Magnus just not give a poo poo what happened to his legion? If he's a sorcerer of that magnitude, can he not just reverse Ahriman's gently caress up?

I think that power is beyond Magnus, a lot easier to break something than it is to unbreak it, or simply costs something he isn't willing to give.

Angron - Banished about 1000 years prior to the current timeline. Demon banishing seems to only last as long as is relevant to the authors in question. I remember some greater demon from the Horus Heresy series gets his rear end banished several times in like the decade of the Heresy. That being said it is supposed to be an exceedingly rare thing to return a greater demon to the material plane, so I'd assume even harder for a Demon Primarch.

Lorgar - Nothing?

Perturabo - I am pretty sure there is fluff where he goes and does things.

You'd think the two traitor legions who actually remained fairly organized post-heresy would have more active primarchs.

Fulgrim - Apparently he does some things since he nearly killed Guilliman, which apparently happened before Abaddon returned from the eye and fought Sigismund. He also is some sort of giant snake thing with 4 arms.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 7, 2017

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

remember some greater demon from the Horus Heresy series gets his rear end banished several times in like the decade of the Heresy. That being said it is supposed to be an exceedingly rare thing to return a greater demon to the material plane, so I'd assume even harder for a Demon Primarch.

You're probably thinking of Ka'bandha, who has a hate-on for the blood angels. He'd show up and then sanguinius would kick his rear end several times during the heresy. After Terra he vanished for 10k years until the Sanguinor kicked his rear end again shortly before Leviathan hit Baal. When the great rift opened he was able to escape the warp again for just long enough to kill a lot (basically all) of the nids on the moons / in space and stack their skills in his symbol.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Booley posted:

You're probably thinking of Ka'bandha, who has a hate-on for the blood angels. He'd show up and then sanguinius would kick his rear end several times during the heresy. After Terra he vanished for 10k years until the Sanguinor kicked his rear end again shortly before Leviathan hit Baal. When the great rift opened he was able to escape the warp again for just long enough to kill a lot (basically all) of the nids on the moons / in space and stack their skills in his symbol.

I am unsure, I know he shows up in Know No Fear after having already gotten owned in a previous book only to get banished within a couple minutes of returning because he gets a ceremonial dagger jammed into his skull.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

Request time, you dirty heretics!

I know what Mortarion and Magnus look like, thanks to their models, but i'm curious - what do the other Daemon Primarchs look like? Is there any art of them? I know Angron is big and red, and Fulgrim is a giant snake man.

That perturabo art isn't official, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Angron looks like an even badder bloodthirster
https://1d4chan.org/images/b/b8/Angrondemon.jpg

Fulgrim is a big snake monster now
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/2/2f/Fulgrim.jpg/280px-Fulgrim.jpg
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/8/80/FulgrimDeathandDefiance.jpg/300px-FulgrimDeathandDefiance.jpg

The others don't have official art as far as I know, just the four aligned ones, plus Lorgar

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zuul the Cat posted:

That was less Ahriman and more Tzeentch. And no, that was the whole point. Tzeentch was already loving over the 1k sons and turning them all to chaos spawn. Ahriman was trying to save them from tzeentch warp mutation; and he did. Even if Magnus could reverse it, they'd still be hosed.

Thats how Tzeentch rolls. His whole MO is creating xanatos gambits. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either way tzeentch wins :)

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uroboros posted:

Lorgar - Nothing?

he mostly sits meditating (pouting) in his chambers of the word bearers temple-palace on their new homeworld in the eye of terror. he leaves running the legion to a council of dark apostles that still includes erebus in m42

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are all the surviving Chaos Primarchs Daemon Princes? Is Abaddon the only high ranking Chaos mortal in 40k?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
With the CA changes I'm pretty excited to have a 500 points Primaris force to paint!

HQ - Primaris Captain with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol (106)
Elite - Primaris Ancient (69)
Troop - 5x Intercessors w/ Power Sword and Grenade Launcher (95)
Troop - 5x Intercessors w/ Power Sword and Grenade Launcher (95)
Fast Attack - 3x Inceptors w/ Assault Bolters(135)

Comes out to precisely 500 points.

For the Primaris Ancient I plan on taking the 30th Anniversary Space Marine and adding a flagpole to his backpack. Only instead of a flag it will be all the skulls of those my army has defeated. :black101:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Harkano posted:

The difference in the Fire Raptor vs Stormraven seems slightly clearer. 2 more wounds, twice as many lascannons (at the cost of the meltas), a more reliable and better damaging bolter.

So does the transport capacity of the Storm Raven just not matter? Seems like a big value over the Fire Raptor

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

So does the transport capacity of the Storm Raven just not matter? Seems like a big value over the Fire Raptor

Typically flyer spam doesn't really care about transport capacity.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Now that you have to disembark prior to vehicle movement and the reliability of deep striking it makes it a largely useless ability.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uroboros posted:

Now that you have to disembark prior to vehicle movement and the reliability of deep striking it makes it a largely useless ability.

are you kidding? the effective 9-inch infantry move from a vehicle disembark is maybe the best way available to get flamers into effective range before a charge

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

zeal posted:

are you kidding? the effective 9-inch infantry move from a vehicle disembark is maybe the best way available to get flamers into effective range before a charge

Most flamers are garbage.

And if you are running stormravens you don't need to deliver flamers.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It does sound funny to run a heavy flamer devastator squad in a Stormraven but I doubt it would be particularly cost effective.
I've had a small amount of success dropping stuff off on objectives from a Stormraven and one time was able to transport a Furioso into combat. For the most part it's all about the guns on that thing though.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

mango sentinel posted:

Are all the surviving Chaos Primarchs Daemon Princes? Is Abaddon the only high ranking Chaos mortal in 40k?

unless omegon survived the heresy, probably on the first part. on the second part erebus, kharn, ahriman, fabius and a fair few other important heretic characters are still kicking around as mortals. plus the additions to their rogues gallery since then, like huron blackheart. this is true of the legions that never fully withdrew into the Eye though, like the night lords and alpha legion. without the time fuckery of life inside a warp rift, their heresy-era characters have all been gotten by time or enemy attrition

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

20-30ish points gets you a more durable Storm Eagle instead with a sort of equivalent gun loadout.

Also except for Scouts I'm running a purely Primaris force, and I guess the doors aren't big enough for them to fit?

I was potentially planning as plopping a Lascannon in with my Intercessors and running them as Tacticals, and running my Redemptors as Contemptors, which would make the various transports vaguely useful, but I want to try Pure Primaris out with the price cuts they got.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Naramyth posted:

Most flamers are garbage.

there's nothing garbo about a flamer+heavy flamer blood angels tactical squad charging from 8" or less after a 9" disembark and move from a rhino, raven, land raider etc.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

zeal posted:

unless omegon survived the heresy, probably on the first part. on the second part erebus, kharn, ahriman, fabius and a fair few other important heretic characters are still kicking around as mortals. plus the additions to their rogues gallery since then, like huron blackheart. this is true of the legions that never fully withdrew into the Eye though, like the night lords and alpha legion. without the time fuckery of life inside a warp rift, their heresy-era characters have all been gotten by time or enemy attrition
For some reason I thought for sure Erebus had become a daemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

there's nothing garbo about a flamer+heavy flamer blood angels tactical squad charging from 8" or less after a 9" disembark and move from a rhino, raven, land raider etc.

Seriously, why bother doing this when it can just be 4 heavy flamers instead?