Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bogart posted:

Hunter is just your good shoot friend who seems pretty removed from Chosen influence, Assassin at least has a grudging respect for XCOM, and the Warlock was the Chosen who got swirlies and wedgies in human/alien abomination school.

Basically he's the incel of the bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Basically he's the incel of the bunch

Woah woah that's taking things too far.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

temple posted:

I also like the assassin's whining when you hit her. "There is no honor in this!"

I think she only says that if you're using explosives.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I've only finished one WotC game so far but I actually liked the Chosen interaction. They may have gone a bit overboard in the amount of dialogue but it gave the enemy a bit more character when their representatives were constantly poo poo-talking you and commenting on every time you wiped your rear end. I also like the way the Hunter doesn't give a poo poo about any of his bosses plans or ideals and is just along for the ride while the Warlock is a whiny idiot who can't stop complaining that his gods don't get enough respect I tells 'ya.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

peak debt posted:

One thing I had to figure out about Skirmishers is that they need to be on the ground while their grapple is off cooldown. If they're already on a roof you can't use the grapple, but if they're on the ground it's a free teleport into flanking followed by a double shot. The repeater is also pretty drat useful on them, it's a 30% chance to instakill (40% with the resistance buff) which is insane on chosen and other tough aliens.

Later game it can be very powerful. Grapple into flank, double shot with repeater. Didn't kill? Teamwork for two more shots, Psi Inspire for a total of five. It's not Banish, but it can get the job done. Skirmisher accuracy tends to be good as well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just wish they scaled better into the late game. But I could say that about a lot of things, I think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sapozhnik posted:

The Chosen fit into the whole cheesy saturday morning cartoon aesthetic of nu-XCOM just fine.

The only real downsides to the expack are sewer missions and those stupid Fulton recovery missions, both of those can gently caress right off.

"hey look it's a bunch of alloys and elerium you could use to build your next tier of weapons! haha nope TOO BAD you're not getting 75% of them unless you go so suicidally aggressive that at least one squad member comes home in a body bag"

As opposed to just a regular supply raid where you get everything.

I said it before but early on the Fulton missions are just XCOM 2 smugly telling you you're not getting mag weapons for another month.

e: It sort of sucks how Hunter Protocol takes Overdrive's penalties into effect so if it goes off once or twice the Overdrive turn is completely useless.

e: Lmao this extract mission is great. It spawned the evac point on a multi-tier building between me and the VIP prisoner, so I used the shredstorm cannon, proxy mines, and an exploding sectopod to blow it up and get it somewhere that doesn't suck. I finally executed a ruler too. :v:

What is the bottom far left slot on the Armory trophy room supposed to be? The peg next to the stun lancer head? It's not filled in for me. Is it just empty? The only thing I haven't shot is the Avatar.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 5, 2017

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
By the way you know you aren't supposed to collect crates unless Advent has marked them? Because if you keep them uncollected behind you they have a pretty high chance of being randomly chosen for recovery, at which point you can snatch them safely. If you already collected them earlier, they will just pick another crate that's still in the fog of war.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Backhand posted:

Late to the party here, but yeah: The one and only downside to the DLC is that the Chosen are lame, lame, lame, super loving cheesy characters. Incredibly boring stereotypical sci-fi tropes abound, and their banter - though obviously intended to make them feel like they have more character and more of a relationship with the player - is just so drat goofy that it gets old rather quickly.

It's pretty forgivable though in light of the fact that the DLC gets almost everything else dead on. I especially loved the new, improved variety in mission types; if you played a lot of vanilla XCOM 2, you'll be happy to see the tried and true formulas getting mixed up here and there.

I think that the main downside to the expansion is the endgame becomes even more trivial. The last mission is absolutely pointless once you've beaten the chosen.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Curious how many people bought WOTC -- though I am late to the party -- only to find that modding the base game (apparently) causes WOTC to crash at launch *with no mods selected*.

A quite surprising, even for modding XCOM/2, amount of work is required to boot the vanilla WOTC. Or I'm hoping it will. Had to unsubscribe from dozens of mods, will be pissed if this didn't fix it.

e: nope, 40 bucks down the drain, leaving me with only the sneaking suspicion i should never have paid money for one of jakes products

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 6, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sorry, you're surprised that games with a different .exe don't work with mods built for one on top of the other? Mods made usually by amateurs? I don't mean to be rude about it, but your complaint is akin to going from a truck to a van and being annoyed that the tires don't fit right. A fair amount of mods from vanilla X2 have been ported into WOTC, but placed under a different workshop link to keep compatibility with the base game.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

No, it turned out not to be the mods which means I have no idea what it is, lol.

But the concept was that even having installed mods that weren't selected for the base game and weren't selected to run for the xpac either was causing the error.

The only solution I found on multiple recommendations for this crash? Not just removing the (base game, not enabled) mods from your list, or copying them out of the directory to clear that directory... but manually unsubscribing on each workshop item for seemingly no reason, only to add even more work. That's the icing. This means that to play my old mod stack for the base game, I will need to spend hours rebuilding them -- unless c/p the workshop content directory restores your subs, which apparently it does not.

Now I'm just irate that it doesn't run since 99.9% of games do when you execute them, as I have deleted all my base game mods and unsubscribed from them in an attempt to fix this crash.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 6, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have all my mods for XCOM 2 still installed and on and haven't had an issue, try verifying your cache or something.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Holy poo poo, even though it just checked them, it found 50 files to redownload and launches. I actually dismissed doing it again over this, so thank you for suggesting it -- running another verification would have probably been several attempts down my list. My bad jake, it was really gabe the whole time; big ups to the several forumgoers spreading to uninstall all your mods and being upvoted though.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 6, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You're welcome! The game probably will crash at some point though anyway. :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Use the alternate mod launcher if you're not, also.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Light Gun Man posted:

Use the alternate mod launcher if you're not, also.

Which is that? I'm having some crash problems myself :v:

My basic Skirmisher mission crashes after the shuttle ride starting it, so I skipped that.
If I wait it does a Chosen assault on the base, but just loads a black screen. And if I try to do a different mission, my Forge assault crashes on the shuttle ride back.

Verified the game, deleted Config and verified, restarted computer, checked video card updates, no success :v: I'd rather not restart the campaign since Im near the end this time.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So the ruined city tileset that they use for most maps where the lost appear don't let you get to the roofs of the tall buildings they have there, right? I can't scroll up to them, and they don't seem to be rendered. I had a fulton mission on one of those maps, and a crate did spawn on the invisible roof with no way to get to it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Loel posted:

Which is that? I'm having some crash problems myself :v:

My basic Skirmisher mission crashes after the shuttle ride starting it, so I skipped that.
If I wait it does a Chosen assault on the base, but just loads a black screen. And if I try to do a different mission, my Forge assault crashes on the shuttle ride back.

Verified the game, deleted Config and verified, restarted computer, checked video card updates, no success :v: I'd rather not restart the campaign since Im near the end this time.

https://github.com/X2CommunityCore/xcom2-launcher/releases/tag/v1.2.1

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 7, 2017

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Dr Christmas posted:

So the ruined city tileset that they use for most maps where the lost appear don't let you get to the roofs of the tall buildings they have there, right? I can't scroll up to them, and they don't seem to be rendered. I had a fulton mission on one of those maps, and a crate did spawn on the invisible roof with no way to get to it.

Yeah the highest you can get is the second story. The crates have always spawned on the street level in all of my playthroughs though so if you've got one on the roof that's just a bug you'll have to write off.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I've had a skirmisher grapple to the edge of a roof like that, it's definitely buggy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dyzzy posted:

I've had a skirmisher grapple to the edge of a roof like that, it's definitely buggy.

I always save before using the grapple and attacks like slash or retribution, either Gotcha or the built-in preview takes a poo poo with them and the game crashes half the time.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Well in my case it was intentional, the edge showed up as selectable grapple targets so I said why not.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

peak debt posted:

I think she only says that if you're using explosives.

Then she should stop spawning with an explosive weakness in over half my games!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Then she should stop spawning with an explosive weakness in over half my games!

OMG fuckin no talent xcrom noobs fight cheap as gently caress L2P

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All three Chosen get really pissy at you if you fight them with a SPARK instead of anyone else, though the reactions vary from "lol what a piece of poo poo" to "takes a big man to hide behind a robit".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does the Assassin have any lines for being hit by Bladestorm?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ravenfood posted:

Does the Assassin have any lines for being hit by Bladestorm?

I don't think she has any unique ones for that but she usually comments on how lovely your sword is/why are you even trying to use one or if it's the axe she wonders where you even found it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

All three Chosen get really pissy at you if you fight them with a SPARK instead of anyone else, though the reactions vary from "lol what a piece of poo poo" to "takes a big man to hide behind a robit".

I love SPARKs, but they're right, they are pieces of poo poo. Every drat time I take one out on their first mission I somehow activate two pods at once and they all zero in on my SPARK. :rip: Julian for the 20th time

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Had an extra soldier show up in a mission (Reaper bonus, I think?) and he took off with the poo poo I had him pick up!

What the gently caress, Étienne?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iron Crowned posted:

I love SPARKs, but they're right, they are pieces of poo poo. Every drat time I take one out on their first mission I somehow activate two pods at once and they all zero in on my SPARK. :rip: Julian for the 20th time

They're lifesavers in the early and midgame on Legendary even if they can't hit poo poo and if you overdrive before hitting a pod Hunter's Instinct shits out because you lose 15% accuracy each shot. The biggest loss in my campaign was Sectopods showed up super early on a supply raid and a pair of them blew Julian to hell. Putting repeaters on them led to the Hunter doing almost nothing the entire time outside of one mission where he kept grapple critting me.

A pair of SPARKs with Bulwark/Rainmaker/Repair means you always have full cover, the enemy never does, and they can basically always be fielded as long as neither are at like 20% hp, which does wonders to keeping you out of a fatigue/death spiral. I got super lucky with breakthroughs though that discounted the price of them twice so they were really cheap to make. Between that and the timer orders I had a lot of room to breathe. The only other super rough mission outside the early Sectopods each mission for two months was month 2 retaliation where the faceless and civ counters bugged out a little as well as auto-revealing the reaper no matter how it moved. I've learned that I don't care if I reload in that sort of circumstance. :v:

quote:

Had an extra soldier show up in a mission (Reaper bonus, I think?) and he took off with the poo poo I had him pick up!

Maybe you'll find it on the black market :haw:

e: I'm definitely going to do Legendary Grim Horizon now but my only question is whether or not to make it a Beta Strike as well.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 7, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
In my current game I have metal over flesh and spark classes enabled. I also have the loot mod.

One of my sparks is equipped with a BIT that gives them three usages of "superior overclock" which basically just gives them like three more moves instantly. It's also got the ability to take free shots at anything that comes near it. So a lot of enemy groups I just move that one up, hit it with a heavy weapon, move closer, spend remaining actions on extra shots, then murder them all next turn with reaction fire. :pcgaming:

also the heavy weapon is usually The Frightenator which basically sends nearly all biological enemies in panic so they'll all waste a turn / shoot at each other too!

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 7, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Turning a spark into cover seems equivalent to writing "PLEASE GRENADE ME" on its chassis but idk maybe that's just me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sapozhnik posted:

Turning a spark into cover seems equivalent to writing "PLEASE GRENADE ME" on its chassis but idk maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I never use it for cover, the only reason I ever take that one is for the extra point of armor.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The one change I liked making for SPARKs slightly better wasn't Metal over Flesh, (which I think makes them too good after the WotC buffs) but making it so that I could spend XCOM AP on them too. They earn absolutely none on their own, so it costs a lot to do, but their fatigue-less state means you're getting more uses out of the doubled up skills too. It also helps keep them semi-relevant late-game when they start competing with maxed ranked faction soldiers or the rest of your A-team.

All the mod did was change it so that everyone gets the same level-up screen as they do when you put them in the Training Center, which happens to also have the spend-AP sections, that happens to work for SPARKs. It also makes leveling up your soldiers somewhat easier and lets you see your soldiers' bonus skills without having to put them in/out of the TC, so its a nice QoL mod too. I'll link it once I'm back on my home computer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I never use it for cover, the only reason I ever take that one is for the extra point of armor.

It never really occurred to ADVENT to do that. What it did occur to ADVENT (and the Chosen) to do is stand next to it. :v:

The bug where the SPARKs only get single moves/no moves if someone is taking cover on them sure sucks though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

It never really occurred to ADVENT to do that. :v:

Seems like whenever they have grenades and two or more of my guys are close enough to get exploded, they always come out

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

odiv posted:

Could someone explains how this works to me? Every now and again a random extra soldier shows up in a mission with fairly weak stats, though the manpower is always useful. Is it a sitrep or something? Does Central comment on it? (I usually play without sound).

Also in my last game the fancy shotgun the Assassin has just disappeared into the ether for no reason I can figure. I didn't let someone die and leave the stuff behind, it just vanished between missions, any ideas why that might be?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

khwarezm posted:

Could someone explains how this works to me? Every now and again a random extra soldier shows up in a mission with fairly weak stats, though the manpower is always useful. Is it a sitrep or something? Does Central comment on it? (I usually play without sound).

Also in my last game the fancy shotgun the Assassin has just disappeared into the ether for no reason I can figure. I didn't let someone die and leave the stuff behind, it just vanished between missions, any ideas why that might be?

Its either a continent bonus or resistance order (which it is is randomized between games). You can also get one that gives you either an Advent Trooper or Lancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zore posted:

Its either a continent bonus or resistance order (which it is is randomized between games). You can also get one that gives you either an Advent Trooper or Lancer.

Oh, it is a resistance order, I just double checked and that was active in that game.