Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

I am experiencing some disappointment when reading this post. (I’m going to stain and assemble my BT this weekend.)

I mean you saw the same videos I did before purchase, I imagine. The map trays are not organized in that top bin in any way besides "make them fit just right". I didn't really think it would be that great for actually using the tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ShaneB posted:

I mean you saw the same videos I did before purchase, I imagine. The map trays are not organized in that top bin in any way besides "make them fit just right". I didn't really think it would be that great for actually using the tiles.

What video is that?

And I'll probably eat my words here but honestly searching through 30 double sided map tiles doesn't really seem like the end of the world, especially when there's so many other components to set up. It's less map tiles than Descent 2E (hell it's about half as many map tiles as ImpAss), and I think I'd much rather fit everything back in the box if at all possible even if it means sacrificing the quick alphabetizing job I did last night with the folio.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wait you guys put Gloomhaven away?

Weird

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bombadilillo posted:

Wait you guys put Gloomhaven away?

Weird

Not that I've played it yet, but....cats, man. Cats.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

food court bailiff posted:

What video is that?

And I'll probably eat my words here but honestly searching through 30 double sided map tiles doesn't really seem like the end of the world, especially when there's so many other components to set up. It's less map tiles than Descent 2E (hell it's about half as many map tiles as ImpAss), and I think I'd much rather fit everything back in the box if at all possible even if it means sacrificing the quick alphabetizing job I did last night with the folio.

Stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW4XlmZOwtk

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mine jumps on our table even when we're playing also children, you leave that poo poo on the table and your kids will eat it for breakfast or something

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Toddlers for me. Keeps asking to play, we keep telling him when he's older, he keeps saying he's older now.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

mine jumps on our table even when we're playing also children, you leave that poo poo on the table and your kids will eat it for breakfast or something

My youngest is just shy of 5. So past that. There's hope!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Toddlers for me. Keeps asking to play, we keep telling him when he's older, he keeps saying he's older now.

:3: my almost 5 half plays. Tell him he can flip the hit deck when you tell him and he'll love life then wander off after a turn or two!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

:3: my almost 5 half plays. Tell him he can flip the hit deck when you tell him and he'll love life then wander off after a turn or two!

No that's not how my little one does it.

He will yell "No baba turn, I flip cards" and refuse to let go of the deck until you go through the entire thing one by one and then carefully put it back into the box.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ShaneB posted:

No, that video is interesting! Wonder how I missed it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Can someone tell me how big an accordion folder to get?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Got my shipment yesterday, punched everything out, no component issues anywhere.

I've got a big group of people interested and my understanding is that the game supports characters dropping in and out, as well as mixed-level parties.
Has anyone run the game with a large pool of players rotating through play sessions? Any tips on running a campaign like that?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some Numbers posted:

I got one that's big enough to easily hold a standard letter-sized sheet of paper, and which is a bit over an inch thick at the bottom, and it's -barely- big enough. Try to find one with an expanding bottom.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

plester1 posted:

Got my shipment yesterday, punched everything out, no component issues anywhere.

I've got a big group of people interested and my understanding is that the game supports characters dropping in and out, as well as mixed-level parties.
Has anyone run the game with a large pool of players rotating through play sessions? Any tips on running a campaign like that?

The sessions scale based on player count and level independently. It works well but, two level 4 characters and a level 1 will not work well, too far behind.

Pedantically within the rules you can level yourself down by swaping out your high level cards from the card pool for level 1 cards.

For the fun way, just bump any low character up to your prosperity level like they made a new guy and give them some gold. They can play along with the same characters if they want when they show up. (There is infinite grinding available in the game so its not going to mess anything up.)

As for the campaign, well it is a story. You can do random scenarios with the cards or replay scenarios, or catch them up on why you are doing stuff. Up to you and how much they/you care.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

I got this and everything fits fine, but there are no internal dividers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006OM09Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bombadilillo posted:

For the fun way, just bump any low character up to your prosperity level like they made a new guy and give them some gold.

According to the rules, whenever Prosperity level increases, all new characters and all existing characters at a lower level can immediately bump up to a level matching the new Prosperity level.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I finally received Gloomhaven last night. Had a friend over I used to play DnD with and went through the first three missions.

Friend took a picture of my 5x5 table that was completely covered in cardboard, this game is huge.

Initial impression is that this game is amazing. We were up until 2am playing and are planning on getting together for more scenarios tonight.

A Spellweaver and Cragheart team is really good. Haven't lost a scenario yet but they are always very close.

I'd like to thank the thread for recommending a starting stamina potion, it has been invaluable for the Cragheart.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Stamina is drat near mandatory for every character.

CaptainRightful posted:

I got this and everything fits fine, but there are no internal dividers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006OM09Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to the rules, whenever Prosperity level increases, all new characters and all existing characters at a lower level can immediately bump up to a level matching the new Prosperity level.

Oh poo poo, missed that! nevemind then

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

It's a good start to Gloomhaven when you nuke 4 bandits dead in the first room with the Spellweaver inferno card :master:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Some Numbers posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Smead-Frequency-Expanding-Pockets-70863/dp/B0186K7B3O/

This is the one I have. All tiles fit (even the dreaded T-shapes), and it has internal dividers.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gotta say my first run was pretty anticlimactic. Played with the solo rules so every mob started at level 2 and was taking multiple turns to kill. Kept hitting negative modifiers or nulls early on. My spellweaver got 1 shotted by a random mook with a x2 multiplier, and then my Cragheart just stumbled around barely doing any damage at all before running out of cards completely. I think the one retaliate 2 card was like the bulk of my damage that game. I was down to just 1 damaged dude left on the map too but he just kept shielding up and I kept hitting -1s again after another null made me reshuffle
:negative:

Kinda feel like I did something wrong there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kiranamos posted:

It's a good start to Gloomhaven when you nuke 4 bandits dead in the first room with the Spellweaver inferno card :master:
That first room of bandits chewed us up, unfortunately. Part of it was bad luck. Part was being new at the game. Part was our Scoundrel trying to tank and our Tinker not taking any hits at all. :)

The Scoundrel had lost 4 cards for soaking by the time we finished that first room.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hauki posted:

Gotta say my first run was pretty anticlimactic. Played with the solo rules so every mob started at level 2 and was taking multiple turns to kill. Kept hitting negative modifiers or nulls early on. My spellweaver got 1 shotted by a random mook with a x2 multiplier, and then my Cragheart just stumbled around barely doing any damage at all before running out of cards completely. I think the one retaliate 2 card was like the bulk of my damage that game. I was down to just 1 damaged dude left on the map too but he just kept shielding up and I kept hitting -1s again after another null made me reshuffle
:negative:

Kinda feel like I did something wrong there.

No it didn't.

self quote

Bombadilillo posted:

No you did not just get 1-shoted, don't worry.
When you get hit for ANY amount of damage. You may

Option1: Take that damage, turn your wheel.

Option2: Lose 1 card from your hand to negate all the damage you just took.

Option3: Lose 2 cards from your discard to negate all the damage you just took. (if you have no cards in hand or really really like that card you have left in hand.)

So if you get hit for 1pt or 13pts or 100pts of damage you can just lose a card. You do not turn your wheel. You do not lose any health. Cards are your real secret 'health' in this game. They are your energy, your ability to do things, and when they are gone you are all tuckered out and Exhausted (out of the scenario) Think of losing a card as dodging that giant attack, you lost some energy instead of getting hit. This does make it dangerous to get low health in a bad spot because if you are at 1 health suddenly a 2 damage attack is hurting as bad at a 20 damage attack.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 7, 2017

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
FYI, complaining in this thread works. My copy is arriving next Wednesday!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

No it didn't.

self quote

Mm, fair enough, thanks for the reminder, but I don't think it would've realistically changed anything. I think losing those cards would've put my spellweaver in the same situation as my cragheart with regards to being forced to rest, then unable to take a turn with the remaining card and declaring exhaustion. Maybe it would've given me one last attack though, I don't honestly remember now.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hauki posted:

Mm, fair enough, thanks for the reminder, but I don't think it would've realistically changed anything. I think losing those cards would've put my spellweaver in the same situation as my cragheart with regards to being forced to rest, then unable to take a turn with the remaining card and declaring exhaustion. Maybe it would've given me one last attack though, I don't honestly remember now.

That's possible. But one last attack with Spellweaver? Splosion time! That can be a huge turn if you burn a bottom action card and burn a top action card. Its actually super fun to go out in a blaze of glory and see how many baddies you can take with you.

You aren't exhausted til you start your turn and don't have the 2 cards to allocate. Or more rarely if you have to discard and have 0 cards in hand to do so. But I find more often you start a turn with 2-3 cards and know its your last and can :getin:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

That's possible. But one last attack with Spellweaver? Splosion time! That can be a huge turn if you burn a bottom action card and burn a top action card. Its actually super fun to go out in a blaze of glory and see how many baddies you can take with you.

You aren't exhausted til you start your turn and don't have the 2 cards to allocate. Or more rarely if you have to discard and have 0 cards in hand to do so. But I find more often you start a turn with 2-3 cards and know its your last and can :getin:

Alright I went back to look at the board, I'd sorta started scooping up already but I'm pretty sure at that point I had just rested again to reshuffle on the spellweaver, so I would've had 3 cards left in hand and none in discard, I'll try playing this out from here.

edit: well, 2 cards played & waiting on initiative, so 1 left in hand after that

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

...you mean the fire orbs that's awesome, or the level 9 inferno card that I'm just two levels away from goddammit so close want to burn everything down

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hauki posted:

Alright I went back to look at the board, I'd sorta started scooping up already but I'm pretty sure at that point I had just rested again to reshuffle on the spellweaver, so I would've had 3 cards left in hand and none in discard, I'll try playing this out from here.

edit: well, 2 cards played & waiting on initiative, so 1 left in hand after that

Hum, well, I hit my own x2 on the last attack so... I guess I would've won? I didn't have enough left to grab the treasure chest or any of the (numerous) remaining coins on the ground though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

First turn chat. I find that the first rooms in scenariso are designed to really hamper you in some way. So while mathematically it costs you a lot of theoretical rounds to lost a card on turn one if you can clear the room, or seriously ruin the enemy engine its totally worth it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

First turn chat. I find that the first rooms in scenariso are designed to really hamper you in some way. So while mathematically it costs you a lot of theoretical rounds to lost a card on turn one if you can clear the room, or seriously ruin the enemy engine its totally worth it.

I... tried for that actually and then promptly hit a null on my fire orbs :geno:

Got it back in the second room off whatever the recover lost spell is and used it to pop a bunch of dudes at once though at that point I'd already spent a bunch of time (and cards). Kinda wishing I'd bought stamina potions over power potions the way things played out, but oh well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hauki posted:

I... tried for that actually and then promptly hit a null on my fire orbs :geno:

Got it back in the second room off whatever the recover lost spell is and used it to pop a bunch of dudes at once though at that point I'd already spent a bunch of time (and cards). Kinda wishing I'd bought stamina potions over power potions the way things played out, but oh well.

The stamina is infinitely more useful then the Minor Power.

Were you drawing a different hit card for everyone you hit with a group attack?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

The stamina is infinitely more useful then the Minor Power.

Were you drawing a different hit card for everyone you hit with a group attack?

Uhh... I think for the most part I was, but now that you mention it I'm pretty sure I just nulled the whole attack when I first hit it on Fire Orbs.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah. It was a print change from v1 to v2, but the punch boards didn't change.

The rulebook did though! The component list is wrong in both versions. It lists the right number in the first edition but has four extra monsters, then lists those extras in the second without including them.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Got this punched last night and the wife wants to put it on the table tonight. She's pretty set on the Spellweaver, any recommendations for a good partner, or rather, any class that should probably be avoided?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

hoiyes posted:

Got this punched last night and the wife wants to put it on the table tonight. She's pretty set on the Spellweaver, any recommendations for a good partner, or rather, any class that should probably be avoided?

Cragheart for control/tank/heal/autodamage goodness.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tinkerer in general is not great for 2-person parties, Scoundrel requires an ally to be in melee range to really get much value from their kit. Otherwise I think you're good.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Hauki posted:

Hum, well, I hit my own x2 on the last attack so... I guess I would've won? I didn't have enough left to grab the treasure chest or any of the (numerous) remaining coins on the ground though.

In my experience there's gonna be a lot of coins lying around unless you have certain classes with specific cards in hand. You'll have more options to gobble them up as the campaign progresses, but in general winning > getting another coin or two, and that goes double at low difficulties where each coin is only worth 1 or 2 gold. Chests are usually worth it, though.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

...you mean the fire orbs that's awesome, or the level 9 inferno card that I'm just two levels away from goddammit so close want to burn everything down

Yeah the Impaling Eruption card that traces a 4 hex path of destruction and got me 4xp as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

malkav11 posted:

In my experience there's gonna be a lot of coins lying around unless you have certain classes with specific cards in hand. You'll have more options to gobble them up as the campaign progresses, but in general winning > getting another coin or two, and that goes double at low difficulties where each coin is only worth 1 or 2 gold. Chests are usually worth it, though.

Sounds like your group doesn't jeopardize the win for marginal rewards enough.

...but seriously, how has my group not lost yet considering how much we fight over coins.