Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
MOBAs were a mistake, are a garbage flagship for eSports and will never gain mainstream acceptance because their mechanics are totally opaque to outsiders and also lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

Ultimas 4-6 are still some of the best video games ever made

1-3 were Trailblazers
4-7.5 were indeed some of the best RPGs ever made
8 was a huge EA turd
9 was a huge EA turd on fire covered in flesh eating maggots

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

Is it possible that developers and publishers often don't give a half baked poo poo about PC ports because people did nothing but steal PC games for 25 years and then eventually moved on to "I'll buy it, but only if it's a dollar" mentality?

Until they found out consoles have a used games market that makes piracy, which has largely been on the massive decline since digital distribution became a thing, a massive hole in their wallets.

Which is why suddenly they care about quality PC ports and there's a massive push to port everything to PC much, much faster than ever before. Well, that and the fact the Xbone is basically a Windows PC running generic hardware so the port is almost automatic..

ED: The age of nobody giving a gently caress about PCs is really long dead outside of super console games and Nintendo.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

yo i wanna get a ps4 for the exclusives and to play NHL but tbh paying a yearly fee to have a basic function like playing online is some stupid fuckin bullshit and im always like "ehhhhh", like even with the free games and poo poo I'm not going to be playing all of them constantly, I don't get why I should have another dumb bill to pay on top of my other streaming poo poo, not to mention my internet bill in general

also the game boy advance was not good (lol four buttons? even back then I was like :cmon:, just put two more on and it would have been a pocket SNES)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Blazing Ownager posted:

1-3 were Trailblazers
4-7.5 were indeed some of the best RPGs ever made
8 was a huge EA turd
9 was a huge EA turd on fire covered in flesh eating maggots

Oh whoops I meant to include 7 in my list too

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
To be fair, Console Warrior vs PC Master Race is probably the S tier of bad video game opinions to have

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, because consoles are obviously superior.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Steam sales have been getting increasingly shittier while PSN sales have been getting increasingly better. it's all evening out tbh

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

i forgot console games were shorter than most movies, now it makes sense

I can't get enough of those classic 12 hour movies

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
e sports only make sense on PCs where there isn't aim assist and you can flick aim with a mouse pulling off sick 360 noscope headshots

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
aside from platformers and racing games all other games play better on PC

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Menu based games also play better on console imo.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Menu based as in DraQue combat

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

man nurse posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Steam sales have been getting increasingly shittier while PSN sales have been getting increasingly better. it's all evening out tbh

Steam has kind of gone to poo poo, but there's not a whole lot of other options out there so it's still the juggernaut thay controls everything.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
PubG bans 6k-20k people per day for hacking / cheating. BF1 on PC has a huge hacking problem. That first EA battlefront game had a big hacking problem, but no one gives a gently caress about that game.

The only reason to play on PC is for MOBAs, it's just not a secure enough platform to be taken seriously for other games.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days is very good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The entire Dark Souls franchise is nearly unplayable on PC if you care about online stuff. This is up to and including permanent crippling of your character because From never even included basic sanity checks so some guy could hack in "hits from my sword take permanently away your stats without changing your level".

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Dark Souls 3 had a massive cheating issue on PC too: https://kotaku.com/dark-souls-3-pc-has-a-massive-cheating-problem-1773660707

So are we still going to gaslight about the amount of hacking and cheating on the PC platform?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

The entire Dark Souls franchise is nearly unplayable on PC if you care about online stuff. This is up to and including permanent crippling of your character because From never even included basic sanity checks so some guy could hack in "hits from my sword take permanently away your stats without changing your level".

Thats the most gangsta :darksouls: I've ever heard in my life

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

Apparently Dark Souls 3 had a massive cheating issue on PC too: https://kotaku.com/dark-souls-3-pc-has-a-massive-cheating-problem-1773660707

So are we still going to gaslight about the amount of hacking and cheating on the PC platform?

Nobody in this thread is trying to convince you that youre crazy by repeatedly insisting some fiction theyve made up is true. Stop using buzzwords you dont understand the meaning of, it makes you sound either hysterical or ignorant.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PC is a double edged sword, the same freedom that allows you to mod is the same freedom that allows you to hack. Its the better platform BECAUSE of this freedom. Gotta take the bad with the good.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

Nobody in this thread is trying to convince you that youre crazy by repeatedly insisting some fiction theyve made up is true. Stop using buzzwords you dont understand the meaning of, it makes you sound either hysterical or ignorant.

You sound kinda hysterical right now, I was alluding to the posters saying they haven't seen a hacker on PC for decades and trying to convince people there's no problem with cheating in PC multiplayer games.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Meme Emulator posted:

Take your meds my dude

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Sony should just straight up make a gaming phone:

https://androidcommunity.com/chinas-got-the-playstation-phones-that-sony-never-made-20140818/

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

My favorite glitch was IIRC Dark Souls 2 having weapons with half the amount the durability on PC than consoles due to a programming issue or something like that lol

Dark souls 2 was the weakest souls game so whatever though

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

You sound kinda hysterical right now, I was alluding to the posters saying they haven't seen a hacker on PC for decades and trying to convince people there's no problem with cheating in PC multiplayer games.

You got a bone to pick or something man?????

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

fruit on the bottom posted:

Take your meds my dude

Gah, this is gaslighting me into thinking I need medications.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Menu based games also play better on console imo.

gamepads are not unique to consoles the way that good fps controls are unique to pcs

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Chomp8645 posted:

The entire Dark Souls franchise is nearly unplayable

You could have stopped there because they are all bad games.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
The kinect and other motion controllers are not a bad idea

their implementation sucks poo poo though

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

fruit on the bottom posted:

Take your meds my dude

Ppl need to learn the definition of the words they use!!!! Gaslighting is not a synonym for 'wrong' or even 'liar'

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

poverty goat posted:

gamepads are not unique to consoles the way that good fps controls are unique to pcs

Difference in control is the only meaningful distinction between console and PC when talking about how games play and since PC gets kb/m then console gets controller.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Dark Souls is a little bit fun, in the sense that it can be entertaining to trudge along a deliberately annoying and difficult level. But they're not really great games. I really don't know why they became so popular

Demon souls didn't so why did dark souls suddenly blow up?

Speaking of random asian games that got wayyyy too popular, why did that recent anime game Noir become so popular on the internet? It looks like shito

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Smell-o-vision will be the next big innovation in gaming

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Meme Emulator posted:

Ppl need to learn the definition of the words they use!!!! Gaslighting is not a synonym for 'wrong' or even 'liar'

Stop trying to gaslight me into thinking this thread is good

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fartbox posted:

Because Demon's Souls was PS3 only.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fartbox posted:

Dark Souls is a little bit fun, in the sense that it can be entertaining to trudge along a deliberately annoying and difficult level. But they're not really great games. I really don't know why they became so popular

Speaking of random asian games that got wayyyy to popular, why did that recent anime game Noir become so popular on the internet? It looks like poo poo

Dark Souls has a lot of things going for it:

-Meaningful loot. Every game these days just barfs out color coded loot with maybe +2 to crit chance or something on it. When you get a new weapon in dark souls you get a new weapon with a different moveset and the possibility to completely change your playstyle. Its thrilling to find things and try out new things.

-Atmosphere. Lordran is a great place to explore and they manage to tell a nice story without stopping the game every five seconds to throw in another pointless cutscene. I love the way every half insane merchant and NPC cackles at you manically at the end of every sentence. It manages to feel oppressive without forcing the NPCs to say things like "Wow, it sure feels oppressive here in the undead capital of the world.... as if death is around every corner"

-Wierd rear end multiplayer. They took a chance with the summon/invasion system and it paid off. From is way more willing to try something new than the AAA scene in the US is. nobody in the AAA space would have EVER put the invasion mechanics in thier games. Any sort of player interaction outside of designated PVP modes was really discouraged for a long time. I guarantee The Division would never have had the constant hot mic PVP zone if dark souls didnt come along first. I love the bloodstain and messaging system too, even if you choose to never engage with the PvE systems and PvP systems you still interact with others throughout your journey, and in a really lonely way.

-Obtuseness. This is just personal preference but Ive always loved the way Japanese devs just seem to be super inscrutable about thier game mechanics and refuse to tell you a single thing about how to play. Just look at how hosed up the convenents were in the first dark souls, it was just kinda fun figuring that stuff out with the community. I still dont know what the way of white does.

Also nier is popular because 2B is sexy and Yoko Taro likes to tell very depressing stories, thats about it. The gameplay is pretty basic.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Dark Souls is loving boring.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

Civilization is way worse than other 4x games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

dkj posted:

Dark Souls is loving boring.

Its one of the few bright spots in the doldrums of PS3/360 era gaming. The worst 8 years for video games ever.