Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward just saying I won't be in the office during the last week of the year and waiting until my boss knows before I tell anybody else. It's just annoying that the next sprint technically starts today, with my boss out, so my announcement can't line up with it. I absolutely do want to give notice no later than tomorrow, because our insurance is in the middle of changing and I want to give HR plenty of time to not gently caress up whatever COBRA situation happens between now and whenever I become eligible at my new job (#SinglePayerNow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gounads posted:

Don't tell them.
Commit to a lot of work.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CPColin posted:

Yeah, I'm leaning toward just saying I won't be in the office during the last week of the year and waiting until my boss knows before I tell anybody else. It's just annoying that the next sprint technically starts today, with my boss out, so my announcement can't line up with it. I absolutely do want to give notice no later than tomorrow, because our insurance is in the middle of changing and I want to give HR plenty of time to not gently caress up whatever COBRA situation happens between now and whenever I become eligible at my new job (#SinglePayerNow).

Yea, say when you will about taxes and poo poo, but not having to worry about this kind of very essential crap when changing jobs is a nice thing to have.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
A bug came up in sprint planning where logging in as one user and using another tab to log out and back in as a different user made the first tab look weird, because it still claimed the first user was logged in, but the asynchronous requests acted like the second user was logged in. Okay, pretty standard issue with single-page web apps, no biggie. Then one of the developers said, "Oh yeah, that's weird, because there's this bug I filed..."

The bug he brought up was that you could access various admin pages, regardless of permissions, as long as you knew the URL. Because all the permission checks did was show and hide stuff in the UI. The controller didn't do any permission checks.

This is the (new version of the) information hub that all the various Criminal Justice departments in the a county send data to.

:psyduck:

Edit: Obfuscated which county I was talking about, for security.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 7, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Development process is predictably garbage at my new job. It turns out that we just recently moved to a “push-every-Thursday” process where we have to get all the new features and changes we decided on for the week out by then, with predictable results (i.e. bugs out the wazoo). This means that dev work is a weeklong scramble to get stuff done and speed is valued over correctness, which ironically slows us down. The morning before we push, someone puts together a spreadsheet with prioritized bugs and assigns everyone something in a process completely separate from our ticketing system. All deployments and code merging is manual (no PRs as far as I can tell), and bugfixing is done by everyone pushing their changes to the same branch at the same time.

I’m being outspoken about how problematic and clunky the process is and I’m planning on taking my manager aside and explaining how this is slowing us down and making dev work more of a pain than it should be, but I don’t know how far I’ll get. Remote status and time zone issues aside, the organization seems to be in a “work harder, not smarter” mentality, so who knows what will happen. Wish me luck guys :downs:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The opsec training I have to take every year is screaming at me to tell you to remove that last detail.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The current version everybody uses doesn't have the problem; it's just the new version on Dev that's stupid. But message received.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Pollyanna posted:

All deployments and code merging is manual (no PRs as far as I can tell), and bugfixing is done by everyone pushing their changes to the same branch at the same time.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHGGGGGG (loud screaming while clutching at eyes)

I am in a more or less similar situation, where the three teams decided a few weeks back to use feature branches so that the builds could be green now and then. We got told the process but not how the tools (git and bitbucket) work so I took it upon myself to organise a small git knowledge session where I was planning to explain to a few freshers how and why git works, what the difference is between local and remote, how to push, pull and fetch and how to branch and merge and make PRs. Nothing more.
Booked a room for 12, I thought that in a team of 22, that should be more than enough. Well, seems more than half of my team expects to learn something new that hour!
At least one guy was honest and declined with "This is way to basic for me and they should terminate anyone who accepts your meeting request. Great initiative, really!"

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 7, 2017

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

When a fixing a bug, when do you band aid and when do you burn everything down and start from scratch?

Asking for a friend.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ither posted:

When a fixing a bug, when do you band aid and when do you burn everything down and start from scratch?

Asking for a friend.

The big problem with burning everything down is that
a) The code you burn down becomes your problem until you switch jobs
b) It's going to take a while, and it's almost certainly not what your boss/po asked you to do
c) If your new thing doesn't turn out better, you'll piss everyone off.

Good reasons to throw stuff out:
1. The old code is based off a technology your company is getting rid of
2. The performance really bad and it's not obvious why the task should take as long as it does
3. The code has never hit production and just sucks
4. The requirements of the product have radically changed and it's not worth inheriting the technical debt of the old project. Sometimes engineers will mysteriously hold on to stuff that's not worth saving.
5. There are lots of intermittent issues that are difficult to troubleshoot.
6. You spend days reading code in classes seemingly completely unrelated to the problem you're trying to solve, but actually is totally related for reasons.
7. There are no tests of any kind. Sometimes you'll get a project with no unit tests but an army of QA - don't junk a project like that, it'll be like going to the dentist. But a project with no tests whatsoever that also doesn't work and QA doesn't know about it is totally worth junking.
8. The majority of the code of the project is unrelated to the project domain. Like if your spreadsheet app has 300,000 lines of code reinventing the dropdown menu, something is hosed up.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ither posted:

Asking for a friend.
If the effort to blow it up is less than fixing the bug. I had a bug to deal with that was fragile and insane and it took me a month of work and I started to have nightmares about that code.

Blowing it up would've been a year of work.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Pollyanna posted:

Development process is predictably garbage at my new job. ...
All deployments and code merging is manual (no PRs as far as I can tell), and bugfixing is done by everyone pushing their changes to the same branch at the same time.

honestly did you ask any questions in your interviews at all

genki
Nov 12, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

Remember though, the better Pollyanna gets at avoiding bad jobs, the less entertainment for the rest of us...

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If the effort to blow it up is less than fixing the bug. I had a bug to deal with that was fragile and insane and it took me a month of work and [bold]I started to have nightmares about that code[/bold].

Blowing it up would've been a year of work.

Did the code chase you around and try to kill you?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ither posted:

I have SQL dreams sometimes :gonk:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ither posted:

More House of Leaves

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ither posted:

I had a dream that our dick HR person sent out an email giving my office away because I've been working from home sick most of this week.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Pollyanna posted:

Development process is predictably garbage at my new job.
Just curious: Did you not ask about how their process works when you were interviewing?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Pollyanna posted:

I’m being outspoken about how problematic and clunky the process is and I’m planning on taking my manager aside and explaining how this is slowing us down and making dev work more of a pain than it should be, but I don’t know how far I’ll get. Remote status and time zone issues aside, the organization seems to be in a “work harder, not smarter” mentality, so who knows what will happen. Wish me luck guys :downs:

I genuinely hope your place of work is the unicorn where someone will listen to you, you will be able to drive change, and people will be on board with updating processes.

However, unicorns don't exist, so uh thanks for giving me some more questions to ask in my next interview :sun:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Che Delilas posted:

I have SQL dreams sometimes :gonk:

I've dreamt in X(A)ML before. It was about as bad as you'd think.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ChickenWing posted:

I genuinely hope your place of work is the unicorn where someone will listen to you, you will be able to drive change, and people will be on board with updating processes.

However, unicorns don't exist, so uh thanks for giving me some more questions to ask in my next interview :sun:

Don't forget to ask "Are deployments automated, or manual?". If the answer is "manual", expect to be told to deploy something yourself eventually, and expect that to be a lovely and frustrating process. Also, expect it to go wrong.

It is up to you to determine how the answers to this question, among many others, influence your decision. :eng101:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Munkeymon posted:

I've dreamt in X(A)ML before. It was about as bad as you'd think.

All my XML dreams were nightmares.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Coworker, via IM: Hey, do you know where (ID) came from? Did you enter it?
Me: Don't think so.
Coworker: The highest ID on Production is (much lower ID).
*Coworker comes over to ask the same questions in person*
Me: Let me just come to your desk and see what you're looking at.
*Coworker shows me a record that caused an exception. The "last updated by" field is very clearly not me.*
Coworker: So when you test stuff like this, if the ID doesn't exist in the central database, it'll throw an exception.
Me: *points at the "last updated by" field* It wasn't me. I haven't done any testing yet today. Let me look in the database for more info.
(a few minutes pass)
Coworker, via IM: *sends me the stack trace of the exception*
Coworker, in person: So when you test stuff like this, make sure to insert the ID into the central database, so it doesn't throw an exception.
Me: It wasn't me, but okay.

Giving my two-week notice this afternoon. :yotj:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

CPColin posted:

Coworker, via IM: Hey, do you know where (ID) came from? Did you enter it?
Me: Don't think so.
Coworker: The highest ID on Production is (much lower ID).
*Coworker comes over to ask the same questions in person*
Me: Let me just come to your desk and see what you're looking at.
*Coworker shows me a record that caused an exception. The "last updated by" field is very clearly not me.*
Coworker: So when you test stuff like this, if the ID doesn't exist in the central database, it'll throw an exception.
Me: *points at the "last updated by" field* It wasn't me. I haven't done any testing yet today. Let me look in the database for more info.
(a few minutes pass)
Coworker, via IM: *sends me the stack trace of the exception*
Coworker, in person: So when you test stuff like this, make sure to insert the ID into the central database, so it doesn't throw an exception.
Me: It wasn't me, but okay.

Giving my two-week notice this afternoon. :yotj:
I have a coworker who does this kind of thing regularly.

He also just changes your code if he can't make it work on the first attempt, which is of course some nutty behavior, and usually then requires you figure out what he's doing wrong.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I had a co-worker that would delete foreign key constraint from his dev databse when he had integrity exception pop up.

God... that me us so mad, he was completely clueless as to why we were pissed.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

He also just changes your code if he can't make it work on the first attempt, which is of course some nutty behavior, and usually then requires you figure out what he's doing wrong.

Oh yeah, when I was looking at the code to see why it tried to send an invalid ID (answer: because the person typed it that way), I discovered that some of the tests were failing suddenly. Remember when the code wouldn't build because the server couldn't handle C# 6? Well that same coworker commented out the part of the code that was looking up credentials, because it was using the ?. operator. She told me yesterday morning that we didn't need a follow-up task to undo the few changes we made to try to work around the C# 6 problem. Guess she missed that one!

(No, I don't know why the fall-back credential lookup is working on QA, but not when I run the unit tests. And I don't much care!)

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Portland Sucks posted:

I just looked this up and had no idea this exists which brought me to a larger question.

How do you navigate the process of getting familiar with and using more of the constructs in languages like C# that just seem to be endlessly long? I'm pretty fresh out of my undergrad, I'm the only developer in my shop (I work at a manufacturing company), and the only tutorials I can find on .NET seem to just cover basic OOP principals. Sometimes it feels like all of the "best practices" everyone is aware of online are trade secrets handed down orally from person to person. Where's all the good info hiding? :iiam:

I'd recommend looking over the C# version history. It details each new language feature as it was added and this allows you to go from 1.0 and see how the language has incrementally improved and zoom in on each specific thing to learn more.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

CPColin posted:

Remember when the code wouldn't build because the server couldn't handle C# 6?

Why on earth isn't your build system running the same tooling?

Should we move to the Coding Horror thread?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pixelboy posted:

We have one of those - on just one of our build boxes, the metrics inspector (not the compiler itself!) doesn't know C# 7. Since "uh just rerun it on a good box" is an effective workaround and nobody wants to spend time digging around on something this stupid it's just lingered for months now.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pixelboy posted:

The real horror is how much work one of my other coworkers had to do to get the right version of the compiler onto TFS!

Edit: T-25 minutes until my weekly one-on-one. Currently getting antsy for no reason!

CPColin fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 9, 2017

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

CPColin posted:

Edit: T-25 minutes until my weekly one-on-one. Currently getting antsy for no reason!
This is a great feeling

When I quit my last job I tried to pull the old “meeting request with no specific agenda” on my boss and he ended up being free slightly earlier and saying hey want to meet now and I had to rush to print out my resignation in an incredibly unsubtle way.

It owned and I hope you have fun

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

vonnegutt posted:

Seriously

quote:

How big are your teams?
What roles make up a team?
How many of your teams are missing a particular role?

Where do requirements come from?
How long does a requirement or idea take before it's ready for the team to work on?
How long does it usually take for a development task to make it from "ready for the team" to "in production"?
Can you outline the steps in that process? (BA-ing/req gathering/product discovery, grooming, sprint forecast, development work, code review, QA, provisioning, other testing/review, deployment)
- Could you give me more details on X?
- How long does X take?
- Who is responsible for code being declared "production ready"?
- Who is responsible for deployments?
- For you personally what is the toughest/slowest/most frustrating part of that process? How would you change it? [Why haven't you?]
Are there any development tasks that are only handled by one person? [eg. only the DBA does SQL, only the lead does X]

If you do sprint commitments how often do you hit that goal?
Who decides what the team works on?
How are development tasks allocated?
What is your biggest bottleneck?
What tasks need approval or help from outside of the team (manager/ops/security/architects/DBAs/legal)?
What percentage of you work is firefighting, maintenance, or new features?
How much of you time is in recurring meetings? Do you have any that you don't think are worth having?

What metrics does the team have on your running system/products?
What overlap is there with Ops?
What does it take to provision and configure a new server?

What are the big goals for this team over the next year/two quarters?
Who are the customers of the team? [internal dept, other teams, paying clients, anyone who signs up]
- How often to team members speak with them
- [for internal] What's the relationship like with that department/teams?

Who would be my direct manager?
- How available is she/he? Are we in the same location/office/desks?
- How many direct reports does she/he have?
- What is her/his background? [technical/non-tech]

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Phobeste posted:

This is a great feeling

When I quit my last job I tried to pull the old “meeting request with no specific agenda” on my boss and he ended up being free slightly earlier and saying hey want to meet now and I had to rush to print out my resignation in an incredibly unsubtle way.

It owned and I hope you have fun

"Meeting request with no specific agenda", and even weekly one-on-ones, have always utterly terrified me.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

No agenda meetings are awful. I usually skip and if they actually matter someone comes and finds me.

I rather like weekly one-on-ones. It gives me a chance to ask questions about the company and product direction. It also gives me an opportunity to discuss pain points, blockers, inefficiencies, and improvements I'd like to make. Best of all, its the least stressful way to discuss what my supervisor would like to see to recommend me for a promotion or raise. Once I started doing that more often, my reviews became pro-forma with both sides knowing ahead of time how it was going to go. I do still get nervous before one-on-ones though, and probably always will.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Pollyanna posted:

"Meeting request with no specific agenda", and even weekly one-on-ones, have always utterly terrified me.
Any long-term performance problem that's a surprise to hear about is a symbol of an utterly inept, thoroughly incompetent, conflict-avoidant manager

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sagacity posted:

Just curious: Did you not ask about how their process works when you were interviewing?
In Polyanna's defense, I had a previous job where I asked about testing and deployment practices in the interview and was given detailed answers that sounded decent. Upon hiring, I was assigned to a team/product that only deployed manually and explicitly prohibited testing, because any time spent writing tests was time not spent writing code, and real engineers understood the system and got their code right the first time. Or shut down the application and replaced .dlls on the servers because going through the version control system would take too long when bugs were found in production. That place... had some problems.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Any long-term performance problem that's a surprise to hear about is a symbol of an utterly inept, thoroughly incompetent, conflict-avoidant manager

Exactly. At the start of every written review presentation I preface it with, “There is nothing in here that should come even remotely surprising, if it does than I’ve failed and the time we spend in weekly 1:1s have been wasted.”

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I once received a negative review and asked why the concerns never came up before. Boss didn’t have an answer. Started a job search that night. :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vulture Culture posted:

Hughlander posted:

Exactly. At the start of every written review presentation I preface it with, “There is nothing in here that should come even remotely surprising, if it does than I’ve failed and the time we spend in weekly 1:1s have been wasted.”

Pretty much. I had a manager who didn't follow this very well and was liable to randomly drop bombs during 1:1s, usually when the 1:1 was preceded by the words "let's go take a walk". Since then, I've been suspicious of them.

I really hated that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Meeting request with no specific agenda

This is how I got fired back in January, but it's also how I got promoted last week. :spooky: