Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

I think I've mentioned it before, but there's a minimart in my neighborhood with a Bitcoin atm. Dude who runs the place is a little odd, I imagine he's probably the only one who ever uses it

someone put a bitcoin atm in the neighborhood bodega and there's a big sign on in that says "DO NOT ASK THE EMPLOYEES OF THIS STORE HOW THE BITCOIN MACHINE WORKS THEY DONT KNOW AND ARE TIRED OF SAYING THAT" which bodes well for bitcoin adoption in this area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

axeil posted:

What about for internal-facing only databases?

I'm asking because I keep getting questions from stupid clients about it and if I squint real hard I can see that maybe it could be useful but I don't want to respond with my years of knowledge from the bitcoin thread about why it's a terrible idea if I'm not really understanding why they want to use it.

:negative:

this is what happens when the last time you read the bitcoin thread is circa 2015. Sorry

It is the latest buzz word which is why clients bring it up. It's really annoying. Even more so when your management grabs on to the buzz and attempts to shoehorn some type of block chain madness to the tiniest projects even when the client doesn't know and/or care about blockchain.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

We're about to turn the utter chaos of next year's election up to 11.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Aramis posted:

In a saner world, the republicans would just accuse the democrats of being crass by delaying Franken stepping down to the point in time where organized grandstanding would have a bigger political impact, yet here we are.

They're too busy tripping over themselves trying to justify not following suit with Moore, among others. This point will occur to them eventually.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Unfortunately all 20-30 are male Democrat Senators and that's why they didn't speak up about Franken. Constitutional amendment to make Roy Moore King of America incoming.

Wrap it up Obamailures.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Also remember that Bitcoins have zero actual value. People are buying the idea of currency with nothing to back it up or give it value. It is, in the most pure form, a speculation bubble.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

What about for internal-facing only databases?

I'm asking because I keep getting questions from stupid clients about it and if I squint real hard I can see that maybe it could be useful but I don't want to respond with my years of knowledge from the bitcoin thread about why it's a terrible idea if I'm not really understanding why they want to use it.

If it's an internal-facing only database, then you bought some amount of mining power. All anyone has to do is buy more to go back "in time" and rewrite the entire thing. Good cryptography relies on it costing milliseconds of computing time to encrypt/verify, billions of years to brute force. A blockchain does neither. Now, what you can do is a merkle tree: hashing the database at specific points and saving the hashes somewhere else. But that's not a blockchain, and it just means you need to keep those hashes from being tampered with as well. Blockchains use various bits of useful technology but they're garbage as put together. The correct answer is what everyone else does: just use the correct solution for the job and suggest that it has some vague reference to blockchain technology to satiate whoever heard of that buzzword.

git is the usual way to go since it's a useful implementation of merkle trees, which is what people most often think "blockchain tech" is who understand anything at all about it

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 7, 2017

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
So it sounds like Frankens speech was pretty bad and he didn't recognize he did this thing and didn't apologize. Weak.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

aware of dog posted:

When I checked yesterday it was around 150 gigs. And yes you need it, unless you use an online wallet, which kind of defeats the purpose of the blockchain being decentralized in the first place

That's...hilarious. So if you don't have a computer with enough storage, you can't use Bitcoin at all? If you just have a smartphone, no Bitcoin for you?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Even with a blue wave, we are not going to retake the house.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying those people shouldn't resign. But what's absolutely going to happen is, the Democrats on that list will face significantly more pressure to resign than the Republicans, and if they don't, that will be used against them in 2018.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grapplejack posted:

Also remember that Bitcoins have zero actual value. People are buying the idea of currency with nothing to back it up or give it value. It is, in the most pure form, a speculation bubble.

Same argument could be made about paper currency.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vladimir Putin posted:

even if you conduct your economic activity entirely in pogs, the united states government taxes you on the dollar value of your earnings and requires you to pay, in dollars, and will lock you up if you don't

this is the most reductive form of "why dollars have value" and what a government backing the currency means

also, if you break a contract or owe a debt and default on it, the government will determine a dollar value to compensate the other party and require you to pay them in dollars and require them to accept dollars, even if your contract was denominated in pogs

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

my bony fealty posted:

That's...hilarious. So if you don't have a computer with enough storage, you can't use Bitcoin at all? If you just have a smartphone, no Bitcoin for you?

you're not doing any mining on a phone but you can throw all the money you want at an exchange (which will rob you)

creating new bitcoins is independent from trading already existing coins

Vladimir Putin posted:

not really, people dont speculate on the value of dollars because dollars are regulated by an authority interested in stabilizing the economy. bitcoins are barely regulated by a bunch of people basically playing hungry hungry hippos with stupid people's "investment" dollars

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Grapplejack posted:

One of my employees is really tempted to dabble in it because his friend put a few hundred in and now has some low 5 digit figure amount of unrealized gains.

I've given the requisite soapbox speeches about bubbles and bag holding and intrinsic value. He's at least only into it for speculation and not some libertarian ideology, and is only putting in an amount that he is okay with losing completely. But still watching him muse over buying when the price is in the stratosphere makes my investor reflexes convulse in pain.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Soooooo if only democrats resign after being exposed that is going to be an issue.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
A co-worker of mine floated a conspiracy theory by me the other day that while most likely untrue (and I'm not familiar enough with the technology to say for sure) is still somewhat intriguing to think about.

Basically he said that the mathematical equations that "mine" bitcoin could really be a secret crowd sourced effort to decrypt the encryption algorithm used by global banking systems. (Like SSL key sharing algorithms or something). His theory is a government like Russia or China came up with this "bitcoin", funded it in the beginning and put it out there with the fake cover of a "crypto currency". People fell for it Hook line and sinker and all the mining they are doing is slowly but surely cracking the encryption algorithms.

I mean yeah it sounds like total nonsense but it does make you think a little bit. Especially considering the true origin of who created Bitcoin is very much in dispute.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

even if you conduct your economic activity entirely in pogs, the united states government taxes you on the dollar value of your earnings and requires you to pay, in dollars, and will lock you up if you don't

this is the most reductive form of "why dollars have value" and what a government backing the currency means

also, if you break a contract or owe a debt and default on it, the government will determine a dollar value to compensate the other party and require you to pay them in dollars and require them to accept dollars, even if your contract was denominated in pogs

This is true. Nice argument.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

boner confessor posted:

not really, people dont speculate on the value of dollars because dollars are regulated by an authority interested in stabilizing the economy. bitcoins are barely regulated by a bunch of people basically playing hungry hungry hippos with stupid people's "investment" dollars

As much as Vlad is wrong, this is a pretty weak argument. A ton of people actively speculate on the value of government-backed fiat currency, it's just that it tends to not lead to a speculatory bubble because it's not the primary usage of the currency.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Charliegrs posted:

I mean yeah it sounds like total nonsense but it does make you think a little bit. Especially considering the true origin of who created Bitcoin is very much in dispute.

bitcoin was created as a goofy thought experiment by a nameless crypto nerd and it was jumped on by successive waves of hype men and scammers until the point that it's a small but well discussed novelty in the global economy

hanlons razor here points towards the human tendency to be greedy, lazy, and short sighted for bitcoin's "success"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
So they waited for Franken to announce his resignation before exposing the rest?

They must love chaos.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

my bony fealty posted:

Supposedly there are ways to make transactions without the whole blockchain, something called the Lightning Network is being talked about as a solution to bitcoin's scalability problem, but idk much about it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Um, I can only pay you in slammers, is that ok

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

aware of dog posted:

Supposedly there are ways to make transactions without the whole blockchain,

you just use an exchange as a middleman and let them deal with the headache

historically, these exchanges get "hacked" in the middle of the night and all the money disappears

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aramis posted:

As much as Vlad is wrong, this is a pretty weak argument. A ton of people actively speculate on the value of government-backed fiat currency, it's just that it tends to not lead to a speculatory bubble because it's not the primary usage of the currency.

Sovereign currencies can enter bubbles. Export countries are especially aware of this and will start to devalue by issuing more currency lest their economies get hurt.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Charliegrs posted:

A co-worker of mine floated a conspiracy theory by me the other day that while most likely untrue (and I'm not familiar enough with the technology to say for sure) is still somewhat intriguing to think about.

Basically he said that the mathematical equations that "mine" bitcoin could really be a secret crowd sourced effort to decrypt the encryption algorithm used by global banking systems. (Like SSL key sharing algorithms or something). His theory is a government like Russia or China came up with this "bitcoin", funded it in the beginning and put it out there with the fake cover of a "crypto currency". People fell for it Hook line and sinker and all the mining they are doing is slowly but surely cracking the encryption algorithms.

This is movie hacker logic at best. Finding a flaw in SSL means a handful of expert humans analyzing code or mathematics, not brute force computation. Cracking a key used by a financial organization will just cause a brief period of scrambling while the key is changed and then everything is secure again.

aware of dog posted:

Supposedly there are ways to make transactions without the whole blockchain, something called the Lightning Network is being talked about as a solution to bitcoin's scalability problem, but idk much about it.

No one has any specifics on what the lightning network is and how it's supposed to work.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

mcmagic posted:

Soooooo if only democrats resign after being exposed that is going to be an issue.

You can't have it both ways. You can either be moral or immoral.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

my bony fealty posted:

And if I remember correctly the system can only handle around five transactions per second which is awesome for universal adoption.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Charliegrs posted:

The with basically everything about this is that hundreds and thousands of extremely math-brained people have been poking Bitcoin for years now. AFAIK (I am not a math-brain) the inner workings have been subjected to tons of scrutiny. I could be wrong and peer review is way shittier than we want it to be but if it was something that specific I think we'd have figured it out by now.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Charliegrs posted:

Your friend doesn't have the faintest idea of how crypto even begins to work and you can safely ignore him / call him a moron.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

If the Gov of Minnesota was a republican should Franken have still resigned?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DreamShipWrecked posted:

And if I remember correctly the system can only handle around five transactions per second which is awesome for universal adoption.
Theoretical peak is 7 transactions/sec and in practice it's never gone above around fiveish and usually hovers at 3-4, yeah. That's why there are "fees" to get your thing "expedited" etc

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

No one has any specifics on what the lightning network is and how it's supposed to work.

actually they made an alpha version and somehow it is even less scaleable than the bitcoin network

they have quickly memory-holed it so that they can continue to just blather on about whats on the wiki

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Please don't jump to the assumption that people discussing this issue are implying that congresspeople credibly accused of sexual assault shouldn't step down. It's absolutely a problem that Democrats are willing to step down for it and Republicans aren't, and it's going to cripple progressive causes, and it needs to be talked about.

Again, that doesn't mean people shouldn't step down.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rex-Goliath posted:

Your friend doesn't have the faintest idea of how crypto even begins to work and you can safely ignore him / call him a moron.

Crypto gets his powers from the sun and uses them to fly, run at super speeds, and do heat vision like his owner, Superman.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I admit I kind of wish I'd bought a bitcoin way back in the day, because I'd go ahead and cash out now.

Except no, I wouldn't cash out, because lol how do you convert buttcoins into real useful money?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

haveblue posted:

Lol

"No guys bitcoin can totally be a functional currency! We just have to make a thing that solves all of bitcoin's problems!"

"Okay, how is it going to do that?"

"Idk, I'm just the idea guy. I made a wiki though!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

We need to stop attacking Trump's health

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/938751464016670720?s=17

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
The fact that this thread has a bitcoin derail is a pretty good sign it's time to sell.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Mister Adequate posted:

I admit I kind of wish I'd bought a bitcoin way back in the day, because I'd go ahead and cash out now.

Except no, I wouldn't cash out, because lol how do you convert buttcoins into real useful money?

You could spend them at this one little computer repair shop/hoarder's den in my area, according to a decal on the door. I would probably check everything you bought from there for roach eggs regardless of whether you're paying with Bitcoins or actual money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Mister Adequate posted:

Was there any actual veracity to the rumor that the largest source of real revenue for bitcoin was money laundering by organized crime? It's the kind of story I could totally believe, but at the same time totally couldn't, if you know what I mean.

• Locked thread