Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Keito posted:

What's the source all y'all parrot this from? I asked my friend who's got one and he said its d-pad is as god awful as the rest.

Afaik everybody's been going off this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFoJzRMxCXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The problem with the D-Pad was never with the way it feels, but with the way it functions. The whole issue is that on a tactile level it feels like you're decisively pressing in one direction, but you can falsely hit another instead.

Grabbing a Xenoblade Pro Controller that's not even on and saying "it feels better!" does not answer whether or not it still registers diagonals too easily.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Keito posted:

Try playing Spelunker Party or Namco Museum and you'll probably have a different opinion. It's almost useless for precision platformers.

It also sucks hard for any of the fighting games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

The problem with the D-Pad was never with the way it feels, but with the way it functions. The whole issue is that on a tactile level it feels like you're decisively pressing in one direction, but you can falsely hit another instead.

Grabbing a Xenoblade Pro Controller that's not even on and saying "it feels better!" does not answer whether or not it still registers diagonals too easily.

Also the video guy says if it is better its not a big difference. Pro controller still hosed. Go pokken imo

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just gonna do the tape fix instead. It’s not destructive and you don’t have to spend money on another Pro Controller.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I dunno, I tested mine against Puyo Puyo Tetris and KoF 98 and was getting inputs way more consistently. Granted I only played PPT for a short time but got no false drops the whole time and I was purposefully not being careful about the inputs. Also didn't accidentally pull up the rune menu in BOTW. And I was super sensitive to the Dpad issues on my first pro controller.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

andipossess posted:

And I was super sensitive to the Dpad issues on my first pro controller.

Still anecdotal evidence, but mine also feels like it’s getting the right inputs when compared to a launch window Pro.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone know how good the dpad on the 8bitdo controllers are? The new versions with dual analog sticks come out next week and I was thinking of snagging one rather than the pro controller.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Pro controller is perfect and I won’t stand for this rudeness, baka

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Mario and Rabbids is getting a local versus mode that's cool

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Outlast horror games are coming to Switch.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Original link is a reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7h3h6a/psa_with_the_release_of_the_xeno_controller/

There are people who say the XC2 controller has a slightly different hardware config than the regular Pro Controller.

There are also some people who say the XC2 controller acts the same way as the regular Pro Controller and it's bullshit to buy the XC2 controller for this purpose.

Pretty much everyone agrees that the tape fix perfectly resolves the issue on the regular Pro Controller, making it the perfect controller once you apply the fix.

My own personal opinion is that you should test out your own D-pad using the built in calibration menu and see if it registers too many incorrect presses. Did this on my Pro Controller bought via Amazon back in February and TBQH I didn't see any, but YMMV.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 7, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What's the tape fix?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Open your controller and simply cover a little bit of the inner end of each contact with tape, which will prevent false positives.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

What's the tape fix?

Disassemble your Switch Pro Controller then do the following:

Apply the tape in precisely the way shown, will likely try this later with Kapton tape.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 7, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

CRAYON posted:

Anyone know how good the dpad on the 8bitdo controllers are? The new versions with dual analog sticks come out next week and I was thinking of snagging one rather than the pro controller.

The 8bitdo dpads are pretty good. I don't have a Switch Pro to compare it to, but it holds up well against my DS4 and Wii U Pro.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

Switch needed more extreme edge, sure

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Spend $70 on controller so you can tear it apart and tape it to get it working the way it should out of the box!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CRAYON posted:

Spend $70 on controller so you can tear it apart and tape it to get it working the way it should out of the box!

Perfect for switch

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, right?

But I would check via the calibration test or Puyo Puyo Tetris to see how many D-pad presses it gets wrong first, then decide.

Also, beats waiting for Nintendo to fix it, or sending it in and gambling on them sending you a 'fixed' one, for which I've seen no evidence in the wild (unless there's some more obscure Nintendo forums where there are people reporting and confirming), or buying / returning Pro Controllers to GameSlop / EBGames until you get one that works perfectly.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, right?

But I would check via the calibration test or Puyo Puyo Tetris to see how many D-pad presses it gets wrong first, then decide.

Also, beats waiting for Nintendo to fix it, or sending it in and gambling on them sending you a 'fixed' one, for which I've seen no evidence in the wild (unless there's some more obscure Nintendo forums where there are people reporting and confirming), or buying / returning Pro Controllers to GameSlop / EBGames until you get one that works perfectly.

For most of us, we'd be spending money for them to fix or replace it if we sent it to Nintendo. Pro Controllers fall under the 3 month warranty period for accessories.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got an arcade stick adaptor for docked so the rear end dpad on my pro doesnt bug me that much but i want a dpad for handheld cause thats how i play most but reggie said nein!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
The fake dpad undocked rules and I like it a lot, it’s really good in shovel dude game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It would be cool if they did a surprise announcement of the Zelda DLC 2 being “out now” at the Game Awards tonight.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

It would be cool if they did a surprise announcement of the Zelda DLC 2 being “out now” at the Game Awards tonight.

surely theyll give a date if not this outright

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Policenaut posted:

wonder how well they'll run/look.

I'm not sure what the threshold is regarding Switch limitations now that DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 are going to be on the system, but I wonder if Resident Evil 7 would be possible. Would games that look as good as that, or P.T., be feasible? A new Eternal Darkness would be great.

I'm also assuming optimization would be a big thing since DOOM is loving witchcraft while FF15 is like, kind of a hard no from Square because IIRC that game doesn't have such a stable engine on console

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

alf_pogs posted:

surely theyll give a date if not this outright

Definitely. It’s pretty much tradition now to show something BOTW related at the Game Rewards.:lol:

DLC Inc posted:

wonder how well they'll run/look.

I'm not sure what the threshold is regarding Switch limitations now that DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 are going to be on the system, but I wonder if Resident Evil 7 would be possible. Would games that look as good as that, or P.T., be feasible? A new Eternal Darkness would be great.

I'm also assuming optimization would be a big thing since DOOM is loving witchcraft while FF15 is like, kind of a hard no from Square because IIRC that game doesn't have such a stable engine on console

I think RE7 could be possible. That game runs really well even on low-end PCs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Horror games seem like the one genre that works really well on low end hardware since they tend to be slower and developers can utilize a lot of tricks to conceal low end textures.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Horror games seem like the one genre that works really well on low end hardware since they tend to be slower and developers can utilize a lot of tricks to conceal low end textures.

That's 100% true. When emulating PS1, you often have the ability to fake 32 bit color depth, which effectively transforms dithering into "real" colors. Here's Silent Hill:

That's only one example but I find the dithered image more eerie! (That example has a much higher resolution on the right, but the point still stands.)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Are pro controller complainers just complaining? Everywhere else on the internet ppl are praising them for the superior d pad... What do

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’ve never had any issue with mine. It’s great.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Razzled posted:

Are pro controller complainers just complaining? Everywhere else on the internet ppl are praising them for the superior d pad... What do

My first one was definitely having problems with Puyo Puyo Tetris and fighting game inputs. So it exists, but... it's possible that all of it is just manufacturing variance and we're confirmation biasing up whether or not it's a better ratio of working to not than before.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Razzled posted:

I think a lot of people aren’t even using the dpad for games that require precision and that’s why you don’t hear more complaints. There are definitely issues. With mine, I’d be holding up and veer to the left or right and be holding right and the game would think I’m holding a diagonal.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Yeah my original pro controller will fast-drop in tetris when I'm trying to move a piece to the left.

One time I thought I had hosed up the controls when it happened three times in a row after I had a hiatus from the game and I fast dropped three pieces and just quit the game for a bit again.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
How heavy and comfortable are the joy cons? What about with the undocked mode? I have a 3ds xl (old) and a ps4 controller to compare to.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

poe meater posted:

How heavy and comfortable are the joy cons? What about with the undocked mode? I have a 3ds xl (old) and a ps4 controller to compare to.

Joycons aren't heavy and are comfortable enough. I spend most of my time playing with joycons in the grip and I find it perfectly comfortable. My hands are larger than average as well. I've never been totally sure why people complain about the joycon grip so much.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

poe meater posted:

Very comfortable for my medium sized hands both undocked and docked with the grip. It may feel a little small at first compared to a full size PS4 controller but it’s easy to get used to unless you have really big hands.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Razzled posted:

They legitimately register diagonals too easily

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

As a pro level puyo player I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The grip's... grips have a weird shape to them where it feels awkward to hold them the way you would any other modern controller. I only use it to store my extra joycon set

Thankfully you can just hold the drat joy cons separately. Or play handheld like you're supposed to.

• Locked thread