Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
They maintain a large happy thought if the chair is very comfy, another large happy thought if it makes the area beautiful (these are ranked depending on how comfy and how pretty) which makes them happy which makes them more productive :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Ok what the gently caress. I get one of those mad animal psychic drones. Oh poo poo, this could be bad. But wait, it's tortoises. This is going to be just mean. Untill the first tortoise arrives without me noticing, and get into a fight with my guy holding a bolt rifle. (also somehow manages to chase my guy into a dead end and corner him). So it bites his pinky off. Ehh, whatever, bolt rifles have bayonets now so just shank that bitch. Then it bites his left leg. The it bites his right leg. Off.

:gonk:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tortoises are no joke. They're very tough and that bite is really nasty :shrug:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
You learn to fear the tortoise and, not long after, death by a thousand cuts via squirrels

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh hey mayorship is back?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flesh Forge posted:

Mayor Red has had up to HERE with your bullshit

This is amazing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Autism Sneaks posted:

You learn to fear the tortoise and, not long after, death by a thousand cuts via squirrels

Heffer posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Dying From Manhunters Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Squirrel Like Nigga Close Your Door Haha

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Oh hey mayorship is back?

Included with Psychology, as is the verbal abuse break, but they're not strictly linked together, that was just brilliant happenstance :shrug:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ah I must’ve unchecked it to use Leadership mod (which isn’t updated last I checked) so need to hit the checkbox again.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Flesh Forge posted:

Mayor Red has had up to HERE with your bullshit

I know this pain :smith:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Days Matter is a great little mod, it shows little alerts at important milestones (like Colony Founded):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1208781538

I was looking for that all last night and couldn't catch it with any keywords, thanks!

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Has anyone tried the Dinosauria mod? I'm going to give a tribal/dinosaur playthrough a go tonight but I worry its going to be nothing but hunted down colonists. How powerful is a T-Rex vs. a Thrumbo?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Some of the really bad ones like 'killed colonist' or "divorced me" I don't think they ever do.

I take it back, these went away in 1-2 years. Maybe this always worked this way or maybe it's a recent change, I dunno :shrug:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Rex move speed is just over 7. Similar ranges for the Carno and Allo. All dinosaurs are notoriously hard to tame.

But the large sauropods are closer to colonist movespeed and much easier to kite and yield over 1k meat and several hundred 6 silver when selling (unlike other leathers at 1-2) leather in one package carryable by one colonist.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So is it still not worth going for hydroponics if you have solar flares enabled? Because it seems like with how often the game likes to gently caress me with solar flares I'm better off installing sun lamps in heated, soily rooms to grow things throughout the whole year rather than bother with goddamn hydroponics what with how often it loving fails and drat near instantly kills the goddamn loving plant.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it's pretty hard to make hydroponics work without a steam vent, in my vanilla experience

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I use the advanced hydroponics from vegetable garden. I suppose its arguably overpowered with the growth speed, but they are expensive to build and at least the growth speed modifier makes it possible to actually get a harvest.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

boar guy posted:

it's pretty hard to make hydroponics work without a steam vent, in my vanilla experience

Nah, that's not the limiting factor. The issue is that a solar flare will knock out power to the hydroponics tables, which kills the plants really drat quick. Supplying them with power and warming the rooms in the first place is simple enough, it's just that under default settings you'll lose so many crops that it feels like it doesn't have much more of a return than just slapping down a sun lamp on some soil, which can get you crops year round without the headache.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Slime posted:

So is it still not worth going for hydroponics if you have solar flares enabled? Because it seems like with how often the game likes to gently caress me with solar flares I'm better off installing sun lamps in heated, soily rooms to grow things throughout the whole year rather than bother with goddamn hydroponics what with how often it loving fails and drat near instantly kills the goddamn loving plant.
Hydroponics are good for rice. You get a harvest in a couple of days so who cares if a solar flare wipes one out? I wouldn't grow anything else in them though.

Sunlamps in dirt rooms are definitely a superior option, they're just somewhat less flexible.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Take that poo poo shitbirds

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Rice in hydroponics is my first major dwarf fortress mountain hold project once I have the power. It's a constant source of food and the only problem with it is the labor of sowing/harvesting. Rice grows really drat fast in hydroponics. Really fast. Solar flares are, as said, basically meaningless. Oh well you lose some rice and replant it in a day or so. Little bit more labor to replant it, the food will be rolling in soon enough.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah once I discovered that rice takes 2-3 days to regrow I stopped really caring about flares. Except when it kills my healroot. Then I'm pissed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Day 355: Ran out of food at the end of winter again.

The smell is unbelievable. There is rotting meat everywhere, riddled with maggots.

The mayor commissioned a proper temple to the Old Ones to take the people's minds off of what they're eating.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Over 500 components but not enough food. That's peak Rimworld.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No power infrastructure -> no refrigeration -> food rots :science:

Desperately we turn to Nyarlathotep for guidance:

The mayor fears it is too late :ohdear:

e: Mink was one of the founders, beautiful and lascivious and the breaker of many hearts. We can't bring ourselves to eat her flesh :smith:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 8, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Delicious arthropods from the stars! Praise Dagon!

How do you even eat a raw crab :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh ... Oh dear :ohdear:

This might be all she wrote :shrug:

e: Well the good news is, Asenath is down and isn't bleeding so she'll probably survive :ohdear:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 8, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What are those red bricks?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ahahaha

What red bricks?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grimoires I think from the cult mod.

Why you have half a dozen of them though I'm not sure.

Or, actually, why there even are half a dozen copies of the necronomicon lying around.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They rained from the stars right after we founded the colony in some kind of sick cosmic joke :shrug:

BEATEN, BLOODY, BUT UNBOWED, PRAISE DAGON :black101:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Grimoires have an unfortunate tendency to rain from the sky in cargo pods and they're a pain to get rid of.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why would you get rid of them :shrug:

Okay I think the takeaway from that series of events is, refrigeration is probably a good thing to have

e: Oh you meant my children's reading library

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 8, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Why would you get rid of them :shrug:

Gotta spread the good word! Actually, that makes me think and it would be pretty cool if the cult mod added other competing cults and/or the option to convert a settlement to your cult.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In the future I'm gonna set the option that only lets you have one god, it's neat to have everything unlocked but it's pretty ridiculous really.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No I meant the literal red bricks. You have 211 of them in your inventory tally on the left of the screen. There's no stone with that color in vanilla.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh, those are clay bricks added in Fertile Fields (since there's a clay material he decided to let you fire them into bricks if you really, really want to).

NO ESCAPE :black101:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is Dove ok?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dove is Drug Free but has a hosed up eye. Sheri on the other hand has a very good eye and checks to see if the stars have come right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fine Dining