Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's clear she hated doing it and is lying to herself the entire time. It sucked but geralt and yen both needed frinfor only skjall had. Yen is an rear end in a top hat but most of the time but she is right.

yeah :(

I did like how Ciri later made sure Skjall got a proper burial and cleared his name. Kind of the best you can hope for in the Witcher series, particularly in a place as brutal as Skellige

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just did the quest with talking roach and I'd just like to say that it was really good

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
You know you've made good life choices when you leave house with your wife playing Wither and return three hours later to find her attempting to cicrumnavigate White Orchard.

I actually know the overall story and all (since LPs an youtube are things that exist) but I'm seriously loving the small interactions between background NPCs. What i'm not loving however are the swimming mechanics. Seriously, gently caress swimming and gently caress level 10 drowners on the coast of wrecks.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

RedSnapper posted:

What i'm not loving however are the swimming mechanics. Seriously, gently caress swimming and gently caress level 10 drowners on the coast of wrecks.

Crossbow.

That’s it’s purpose, to kill drowners underwater.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Helith posted:

Crossbow.

That’s it’s purpose, to kill drowners underwater.

Yeah, the swimming sucks but at least the crossbow underwater mysteriously instakills drowners when if you haven't built for it if you shoot a drowner on land you might not even be able to discern that the life bar moved if you couldn't see the numbers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Crossbow will also knock every flying enemy out of the sky in one hit even on Death March

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

So what is a good difficulty for ghost mode. I have been comfortably on DM in vanilla for a long time, seems like BaBB is the better choice now for a challenging but not overly intense play through

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So what is a good difficulty for ghost mode. I have been comfortably on DM in vanilla for a long time, seems like BaBB is the better choice now for a challenging but not overly intense play through

DM with Ghost Mode is brutally difficult. Normal (Story and Sword) in Ghost Mode has no modifiers to damage/HP, so if you want to fully customize I recommend setting it to normal difficulty and fine-tuning in the Ghost Mode menu. Try 2x damage and 1x health for starters.

Remember that you have to exit to the main menu to open the mod menu, you can't access the Ghost Mode mod menu in-game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Thanks, I'll try that out. I was doing fine in white orchard butt getting 2 shot is rough and W3 will never be a souls game where I accept that haha.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, the swimming sucks but at least the crossbow underwater mysteriously instakills drowners when if you haven't built for it if you shoot a drowner on land you might not even be able to discern that the life bar moved if you couldn't see the numbers.

the piddly xbow damage is a weird decision, it's not like it would be overpowered if it did, say, 1/3 of the life of an average bandit.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Thanks, I'll try that out. I was doing fine in white orchard butt getting 2 shot is rough and W3 will never be a souls game where I accept that haha.

I also highly recommend setting all quests and enemies to equal your level +randomly up to 5 levels above. Keeps things decently challenging while allowing you go anywhere and do anything at whatever level you like.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

RedSnapper posted:

You know you've made good life choices when you leave house with your wife playing Wither and return three hours later to find her attempting to cicrumnavigate White Orchard.

I actually know the overall story and all (since LPs an youtube are things that exist) but I'm seriously loving the small interactions between background NPCs. What i'm not loving however are the swimming mechanics. Seriously, gently caress swimming and gently caress level 10 drowners on the coast of wrecks.

You can loot shipwrecks from the floating barrels on the surface without having to dive, it really speeds things up

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Well dandelion’s quest line was pretty weird, to say the least.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Well dandelion’s quest line was pretty weird, to say the least.

The quest line to bust him out of prison ? I just did that on Saturday and enjoyed it. Why did you think it was weird? The shapeshifter?

I actually enjoyed the part of that quest right after the play when Geralt, Zoltan, and Dudu were chilling and Zoltan suggested Dudu show them what Ciri looks like now. I declined and Zoltan got worried that Geralt was angry he suggested it. The animation of Zoltan's face and voice were very convincing. I felt pangs of emotion for a few moments while Zoltan worried he had upset his good friend.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The quest where you hunt the Serial Killer that attacks her was very emotional for me and probably the angriest I’ve ever been at a video game monster for hurting my friends (and this is the same game as Whoreson jr!)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Wildtortilla posted:

The quest line to bust him out of prison ? I just did that on Saturday and enjoyed it. Why did you think it was weird? The shapeshifter?

I actually enjoyed the part of that quest right after the play when Geralt, Zoltan, and Dudu were chilling and Zoltan suggested Dudu show them what Ciri looks like now. I declined and Zoltan got worried that Geralt was angry he suggested it. The animation of Zoltan's face and voice were very convincing. I felt pangs of emotion for a few moments while Zoltan worried he had upset his good friend.

If that got to you, be very glad you didn't allow him to do it. It's a great scene.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If that got to you, be very glad you didn't allow him to do it. It's a great scene.

Now I have to watch this on Youtube after work! I'm looking forward to watching different outcomes of quests after I finish this behemoth of a game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I was thinking about everything you start with dandelion after his rescue, it shifts tone real fast and introduces a bunch of poo poo real suddenly. Plus the bit where the killer misleads you by leading you to a different prostitute murderer feels pretty strange, with how casual the priest is about the whole thing. Also I’m not sure why Nathaniel killed Patricia Vengelbud, since her only crime was renouncing the eternal fire and he wasn’t a believer, if I recall correctly

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't done anything after his rescue, I'm leaving that spoiler untouched.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

I was thinking about everything you start with dandelion after his rescue, it shifts tone real fast and introduces a bunch of poo poo real suddenly. Plus the bit where the killer misleads you by leading you to a different prostitute murderer feels pretty strange, with how casual the priest is about the whole thing. Also I’m not sure why Nathaniel killed Patricia Vengelbud, since her only crime was renouncing the eternal fire and he wasn’t a believer, if I recall correctly

You do not quite recall correctly, he is a believer in their overall creed and thinks they are a vital influence.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Futuresight posted:

You do not quite recall correctly, he is a believer in their overall creed and thinks they are a vital influence.

That makes a little more sense.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

fridge corn posted:

Just did the quest with talking roach and I'd just like to say that it was really good

What where is this

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't done anything after his rescue, I'm leaving that spoiler untouched.

Yeah, don't spoil yourself on this quest. It's a good one and all I'll say about it is that you would do well to pay attention during it.

kidkissinger posted:

What where is this

It's part of the Blood and Wine expansion in Toussaint. Find a hermit who is being bothered by a spirit and Roach will help you out! She can be hard to find as you have to get quite close to her for a marker to appear. She's in the north eastern part of the map on the coast in a elven ruin.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Helith posted:

Yeah, don't spoil yourself on this quest. It's a good one and all I'll say about it is that you would do well to pay attention during it.

What's the name of the quest?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the name of the quest?

Carnal Sins

Like others have said, pay close attention to detail.

edit: Carnal Sins is probably the thread favorite for Novigrad quests. Honorable mentions to Bart the Troll and putting on a play.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 7, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
That's Bart the Trololo, thank you very much. :colbert:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fuzz posted:

That's Bart the Trololo, thank you very much. :colbert:

turdydump

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I liked Bart and his turdydump. I haven't played for several days so I'm not sure if I picked up Carnal Sins or not.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Joachim von Gratz is a serious Bro, I wish he got more screentime.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Wildtortilla posted:

I liked Bart and his turdydump. I haven't played for several days so I'm not sure if I picked up Carnal Sins or not.

You probably haven’t yet. Go and spend some time with Dandelion, after all you went to all the trouble of rescuing him. Go and have fun with your mates in Novigrad.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Joachim von Gratz is a serious Bro, I wish he got more screentime.

Joachim is amazing in a game filled with amazing characters but Joachim stands out.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I started playing Witcher 1 again. There have been several abortive attempts at this, but I got way into act 3 twice before the EE came out. The second time because somehow all of my saves got corrupted. no idea if it was the fault of the original witcher game or if my lovely pc at the time did something weird.

When the EE came out, i installed it, and i found out (or felt for some reason) i really was gonna have to basically play from scratch again to get the grasp of the changes.

I never made it out of kaer morhen for years since. there are some serious problems with this game, not least of which the combat is basically timed left clicking and somehow the point and click movement mode that's way less engaging is the preferable choice.

still though, there is enough here that i really like, I want to finish this game even though i'm aware none of this will matter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Honestly Witcher 1 is a game that works best when it is a series of unconnected stories. Like the act 1 or Act 4 village stories - those still hold up really well. It falls apart as a wider narrative, unfortunately. It's no wonder they didn't reference the events of W1 in the sequels, it is really far out, and not in a good way.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've been enjoying Witcher 2 lately, not sure how much game I have left. I just got to that Dwarf town, Vergen? and got through the first "event" there which opened up a ton of quests.

No real questions about W2, but I am planning on a playthrough of W3 on PC afterward. I played it on ps4 the first time a while back, so what should I do if I want to play W3 with all the Blood and Wine mutation stuff unlocked? Download a save file to do new game plus? Or is there a mod? I also wouldn't mind some mods that might make them game more difficult/tweak the abilities and stuff, like that Ghost mode or the combat rebalance mod. Any advice?

e: Yeah, I went with Iorveth for my first playthrough. Isn't that the path that has "I can't believe the idiot went in"? Looking forward to that.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 9, 2017

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Witcher 2 is tough because both Roche and Iorveth are both such good friends. I prefer Iorveth. Roche doesn't hold it against me in 3.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

eating only apples posted:

Witcher 2 is tough because both Roche and Iorveth are both such good friends. I prefer Iorveth. Roche doesn't hold it against me in 3.

Iorveth isn't even in 3, though. Also Ves totally holds it against you.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Iorveth is my man but i choose roche for W3 stuff even though i still havent even played that side of act 2 in the witcher 2

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Fuzz posted:

Iorveth isn't even in 3, though. Also Ves totally holds it against you.

I know. :smith:

There's that bit where you're taken to a scoia'tael camp, where the camera focuses on the back of a guy in front of the campfire with a red bandana around his head... and then he stands up and leaves, revealing the person you're meeting with.

My hopes were briefly up!

e: and I mean, obviously in W3 Roche is the right answer, he is a Good Friend no matter what. If he reacted at all to your W2 decisions it might be different? But no, despite the ally he ends up against, a man who leaves Roche to die is a bad man.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I wonder if it was politics or if they changed Lambert's voice because the original guy wasn't very good? i dunno, the other witchers barely get any lines in the prologue but lambert's the only one who changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Roche doesn't hold it against you because by act 2, no matter which path you've chosen, he's already gathered that you're not the kingslayer and therefore not his priority, and he's started his little coup attempt against Henselt. Plus you still help him out in Iorveth's path when you cross the battlefield.

Ves has the right to hold a grudge, though, seeing as Geralt not being there means she got molested by Loredo more than usual.