Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

CopperHound posted:

This is the standard pitfall:

Yeah, I'm pretty good at paying that stuff off on time though. Something pretty bad would have to happen for me not to be able to pay off $1200 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

My personal rule is that if I can't scrape together a grand to buy something, I probably can't afford it and shouldnt be financing it

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

So... uhh... just a heads up: HP cannot will not cancel orders even when the ship date is 10 days after order date. Now I get to deal with these two identical laptops that are in transit to me.

Statutory Ape posted:

My personal rule is that if I can't scrape together a grand to buy something, I probably can't afford it and shouldnt be financing it
:same:
I wouldn't want to be just a small unforeseen hiccup in my life cascade into 30%APR.... but this isn't BFC so... :shrug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Had to fax in a credit card form to a vendor who doesn't have a secure payment portal... one day later my business card starts getting fraudulent charges on it

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

You all make a good point. I'll start squirreling away some cash and can probably outright buy one by tax time.
Plus, maybe a bunch of people will return their Xmas gift to Amazon and I will be able to pick up a reconditioned Acer there or something.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Verisimilidude posted:

The Razer Blade Stealth 12.5" is on sale for $999.999 ($600 off the listed price)

I'm looking to get a decent Ultrabook for programming and casual usage (maybe some light indie gaming, but nothing graphics intensive) that has a decent build quality, portability, and writing feel. My mom got one of these for herself earlier this year at full price and she loves it, and playing around with it I love the look and feel, but I'm curious if there's more bang for your buck out there. I also want something with a nice screen to reduce eye strain.

Other candidates are the LG Gram, Asus UX330, Lenovo XL, and the XPS 13.

Is this an 7th gen or 8th gen processor? They list both in the spec page, but the cart only says "i7 CPU"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is this an 7th gen or 8th gen processor? They list both in the spec page, but the cart only says "i7 CPU"

4k version's tech specs say it only uses i7 7th gen cpus

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

HungryMedusa posted:

You all make a good point. I'll start squirreling away some cash and can probably outright buy one by tax time.
Plus, maybe a bunch of people will return their Xmas gift to Amazon and I will be able to pick up a reconditioned Acer there or something.

If your old machine doesn't have an SSD you should really consider trying that too before shelling out for a new one - multitasking will drag any processor to its knees if it's waiting for I/O.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Arkangelus posted:

It's me again. Checked Newegg again today and saw both of these:

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51-522L 15.6" Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7300HQ (2.50 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop - $729

Refurb: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51-56U0 15.6" Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7300HQ (2.50 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop - $579

In both cases he'd end up needing to add a 2nd HD relatively soon in the future (SSD for the former, disk for the latter). I'm having some trouble confirming that the model has slots for 2 hard drives though. Also do refurbed models come with any sort of warranty? I'm not seeing an obvious answer right off the bat.

The 2nd, refurb'd model is better: basically the same thing but cheaper with an SSD so it's win-win. I'm not a fan of the 1050 4 GB thing (it should have 2 GB VRAM, and I prefer the bump up to the 1050 Ti with 4 GB anyway) but for that price there's no competition.

I can't confirm anything about the warranty so you'd either have to check with Newegg and/or go for the Squaretrade extended one, which isn't too bad.

HungryMedusa posted:

My Lenovo is like 4 years old and grinds to a halt if I try to run Photoshop plus a web browser at the same time.

I also do some gaming, DOS2, Skyrim, Fallout type stuff. I want to spend $1000 or less.

I read display chat last page. This Dell seems to have the better screen, right?
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-15-7000-gaming/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/fncwfs604h

The draw for this for me is the 0% financing offer they are doing right now. I can't afford a whole laptop now but I can afford 1/12th of one. I suppose if the Acer is better I could get credit through Amazon too. Opinions?

I've no experience with the display on that Dell; I'd guess it's similar to the one on the Helios 300, which is still the better option (similar price, better CPU, double the RAM, double the SSD.)

Bob Morales posted:

Had to fax in a credit card form to a vendor who doesn't have a secure payment portal... one day later my business card starts getting fraudulent charges on it

That's a red flag right there; you should've just flat-out refused to do business with them.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Eletriarnation posted:

If your old machine doesn't have an SSD you should really consider trying that too before shelling out for a new one - multitasking will drag any processor to its knees if it's waiting for I/O.

From personal experience in the last month or so, I can confirm this 100%. For $150 I upgraded my 2012 Asus to 8gb RAM and a 500gb SSD, resulting in both noticeably faster operation and better battery life.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

From personal experience in the last month or so, I can confirm this 100%. For $150 I upgraded my 2012 Asus to 8gb RAM and a 500gb SSD, resulting in both noticeably faster operation and better battery life.

I will look in to this. A quick google shows plenty of compatible SSDs. I checked and I only have 6gb of RAM so that could go to 8 as well. Any brands of SSD people recommend?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SSD Megathread

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I bought a Crucial SSD and it died on me w/n a year. I have gone with Samsung Evos ever since. They're about $90 for 256GB and $140 for 512GB. This is me guessing you're working on SATA. I think the Xx30 Thinkpads could take mSATA as well, but they're more expensive. You might wanna go 250GB mSATA and keep your platter drive, but I kinda just avoid platter drives in any laptop nowadays.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Atomizer posted:

I've no experience with the display on that Dell; I'd guess it's similar to the one on the Helios 300, which is still the better option (similar price, better CPU, double the RAM, double the SSD.)

I do: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=626&perpage=40#post477742470

Three things I would add:

* The integrated SD card reader is garbo. It's not spring-loaded, your SD card WILL stick out, and therefore it's not safe to keep a card in there.
* The 1060 on the 7577 is "overclocked". That's in quotes because while it's technically undervolted and downlocked from a desktop 1060, the 7577's Max-Q 1060 has a boost clock of 1645MHz, compared to most others' 1480. (Compare to a desktop reference 1060's 1708 MHz.) Why it's that much higher? Your guess is as good as mine.
* Even despite the cell count dropping on the battery from 6 to 4, the 7577 STILL has a higher-rated battery, and better battery life.

*I* still highly recommend the Dell over the Acer, because the Acer announces that it's a gaming laptop from the moment you lay eyes on it, while if you slap a sticker over the Dell logo, it can pass for an unusually heavy normie laptop until you open up the lid.

(I have a very low tolerance for the Gamer Aesthetic and all its associated bullshit. I almost don't break out in hives with the 7577)

And as far as the price is concerned, aggressive couponing can get you the 7577 below $1000 for the i7 model. I spent some of the money I saved to buy a 512 GB M.2 960 Pro (damaged box from Amazon Warehouse) and swapped the 128GB M.2 and pulled the spinning rust before I even powered it on.

RAM prices are still hosed, though.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 7, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i work for a pretty large multi national company and nobody really cares about what people's laptops look like. nobody has any crazy poo poo but something like the acer predator wouldn't even really be noticed

i can guarantee you that the gooniness of the actual individuals that might own a gaming laptop far outweighs the aesthetic of the laptop

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, but I'm one of those people that think that RGB everything is the antichrist.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, but I'm one of those people that think that RGB everything is the antichrist.

if it makes you feel any better the acer is only R!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The best thing about programmable RGB lights is turning them off.

Statutory Ape posted:

i can guarantee you that the gooniness of the actual individuals that might own a gaming laptop far outweighs the aesthetic of the laptop
I'd rather be viewed as plain weird instead of gamer weird. Mostly to avoid one sided conversations about twitch or whatever shooterman game is hot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Statutory Ape posted:

if it makes you feel any better the acer is only R!

All I want is a Thinklight. Just a single bleeping LED, aimed down at the keyboard.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

CopperHound posted:

I'd rather be viewed as plain weird instead of gamer weird. Mostly to avoid one sided conversations about twitch or whatever shooterman game is hot.

this is basically my point tbh. if the laptop you have is, in your mind, going to sway somebody's opinion of you in any way at all, you've probably done a fair amount of work to lead them in that direction already :shrug:

i've been considering a couple of accessories lately and would like some opinions if yall have any

Need for XPS 13: Heavily padded sleeve so i can put it in my bag and not have to be all dainty with it
Helios 300: laptop cooling pad? i haven't really used this thing much for any extended periods of time or really in any games that would test its limits, are these necessary//whats a decent one? also a sleeve for this as well for transporting it also in a bag

i can find stuff on my own ofc but if any of yall have recs id like to get some first hand

SwissArmyDruid posted:

All I want is a Thinklight. Just a single bleeping LED, aimed down at the keyboard.

dell will probably 'come up' with this idea as a $75 add on for their xps series next go-around

no im not at all salty about the $25 fingerprint reader

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SwissArmyDruid posted:

RGB is cool if you can just make it white - playing around with other colours is neat if you're in the mood for it

Red backlighting just makes it look like a CSI hacker computer. Bonus points if the keyboard typeface is trash. Too many decent laptops looking like a winamp skin or a custom phone rom, and at least those are free

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I swear, if they released something that looked like an XPS 13, even if slightly thicker, with a 1060 in it they would make money hand over fist.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ynglaur posted:

I swear, if they released something that looked like an XPS 13, even if slightly thicker, with a 1060 in it they would make money hand over fist.

so basically the xps 15 thats coming out soon

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ynglaur posted:

That's just not physically possible.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I do: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=626&perpage=40#post477742470

Three things I would add:

* The integrated SD card reader is garbo. It's not spring-loaded, your SD card WILL stick out, and therefore it's not safe to keep a card in there.
* The 1060 on the 7577 is "overclocked". That's in quotes because while it's technically undervolted and downlocked from a desktop 1060, the 7577's Max-Q 1060 has a boost clock of 1645MHz, compared to most others' 1480. (Compare to a desktop reference 1060's 1708 MHz.) Why it's that much higher? Your guess is as good as mine.
* Even despite the cell count dropping on the battery from 6 to 4, the 7577 STILL has a higher-rated battery, and better battery life.

*I* still highly recommend the Dell over the Acer, because the Acer announces that it's a gaming laptop from the moment you lay eyes on it, while if you slap a sticker over the Dell logo, it can pass for an unusually heavy normie laptop until you open up the lid.

(I have a very low tolerance for the Gamer Aesthetic and all its associated bullshit. I almost don't break out in hives with the 7577)

And as far as the price is concerned, aggressive couponing can get you the 7577 below $1000 for the i7 model. I spent some of the money I saved to buy a 512 GB M.2 960 Pro (damaged box from Amazon Warehouse) and swapped the 128GB M.2 and pulled the spinning rust before I even powered it on.

RAM prices are still hosed, though.

Ok, so the display is probably very similar if not the same one used in both models. Fair enough. If the only criterion for choosing one laptop over a second nearly identical one is "mild gamer aesthetic" though then that's pretty petty. Sure some are more ridiculous-looking than others, but if you're concerned about how the lid & vents that you can't even see look while you're staring at the display on the opposite side while trying to play a game then you have some personal issues, sorry to say.

Statutory Ape posted:

i work for a pretty large multi national company and nobody really cares about what people's laptops look like. nobody has any crazy poo poo but something like the acer predator wouldn't even really be noticed

This. Nobody's going to give a poo poo unless you're lugging around the $9k Acer Predator 21, and even if they do say something you shouldn't give a gently caress. It's YOUR loving money, YOUR loving property, gently caress what they think. :colbert:

Statutory Ape posted:

this is basically my point tbh. if the laptop you have is, in your mind, going to sway somebody's opinion of you in any way at all, you've probably done a fair amount of work to lead them in that direction already :shrug:

i've been considering a couple of accessories lately and would like some opinions if yall have any

Need for XPS 13: Heavily padded sleeve so i can put it in my bag and not have to be all dainty with it
Helios 300: laptop cooling pad? i haven't really used this thing much for any extended periods of time or really in any games that would test its limits, are these necessary//whats a decent one? also a sleeve for this as well for transporting it also in a bag

i can find stuff on my own ofc but if any of yall have recs id like to get some first hand

Sure, get sleeves if it makes you feel better, although if you put the devices in a padded bag that should help. Unless there's a reasonably-priced model-specific sleeve/bag/whatever I usually go with an appropriate AmazonBasics, Targus, etc. one.

My bro uses a cooling pad under his Helios (which he just operates as a desktop replacement so it's always sitting there.) I forget which one I recommended to him, but they're all pretty similar, in the $20-30 range; they'll probably be good for reducing temps by a few degrees, nothing extreme. This is the premium-est one I've seen, although there are others in that same listing. Just find one with good reviews and you should be fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of, are there any *fast* and short SD cards for that exact purpose?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The card reader being slow is a function of the card reader being slow, you could stick the fastest card ever created and it would still be terrible.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-7577-i5-7300HQ-GTX-1060-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.264134.0.html

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
True, but I was thinking for other laptops. Like the SB2, which has a short depth but fast SD reader.

"SD Card Reader

Many modern and slim devices are often equipped with microSD readers or even waive card reader completely. Unfortunately, Microsoft has equipped the Surface Book 2 with a full-size SD reader, and it is also a very fast module. Photographers will be happy, because we determine transfer rates of more than 230 MB/s in combination with our reference card from Toshiba (Exceria Pro UHS-II SDXC 64 GB), and pictures are copied at about 160 MB/s to the laptop. About one third of the memory card sticks out of the chassis, so it is not really suitable as a permanent storage expansion."

So if there was a shorter, faster, SD card available...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
There are a bunch of adapters that let you put a microsd card in one of those slots without it sticking out. Just google "short sd card"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There are a bunch of adapters that let you put a microsd card in one of those slots without it sticking out. Just google "short sd card"

...huh. TIL.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The card reader being slow is a function of the card reader being slow, you could stick the fastest card ever created and it would still be terrible.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-7577-i5-7300HQ-GTX-1060-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.264134.0.html

It's just a regular USB2 card reader which thus limits its speed. Nothing surprising there.

ilkhan posted:

True, but I was thinking for other laptops. Like the SB2, which has a short depth but fast SD reader.

"SD Card Reader

Many modern and slim devices are often equipped with microSD readers or even waive card reader completely. Unfortunately, Microsoft has equipped the Surface Book 2 with a full-size SD reader, and it is also a very fast module. Photographers will be happy, because we determine transfer rates of more than 230 MB/s in combination with our reference card from Toshiba (Exceria Pro UHS-II SDXC 64 GB), and pictures are copied at about 160 MB/s to the laptop. About one third of the memory card sticks out of the chassis, so it is not really suitable as a permanent storage expansion."

So if there was a shorter, faster, SD card available...

They've been making them for years, mainly for Macs (for some reason. :iiam:) Here's one but there are others like that with different lengths intended for different host devices.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Ynglaur posted:

Just a MX150 in the current chassis would sell like crazy.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i think yall are underestimating how difficult it would be to put a DGPU in that chassis

E: https://imgur.com/ZegwOVG thats my acer x205ta on top of my xps 13

the acer has an 11.5 inch screen

Worf fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 8, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There are a bunch of 14" laptops with 1060s in, and 13-inchers with the MX150. Really the point is it's possible to make a decently small laptop with powerful parts now, with some caveats, but there's a tendency for someone to walk in on the design team, stare someone in the eye while saying "GAMES", then turn the keyboard red and crank all the angles aggressively

It's not the bulk or the other caveats like battery life, it's this mentality that if a computer is powerful enough to play a game it needs sick as hell :krad: FATAL1TY accents on it. I get some people like that, that's cool, but it's like you don't have any other options. Imagine if every car with a powerful engine came with spoilers and decals all over it as standard

Maybe the Surface Book 2 will encourage a bit of a shift, because that's powerful and looks nice but obviously *principal skinner money fingers*

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

baka kaba posted:

Imagine if every car with a powerful engine came with spoilers and decals all over it as standard

They virtually do - BMW ///M Power, mutterficker!

I'd say Xiaomi of all brands are doing it right at the moment with the current 13 and 15 inch models. Granted, they're apple ripoffs and only MX150 equipped at the moment but the correlation between specs and pricing makes actually makes sense. And if their IPO goes through then hopefully they can distribute properly in the USA.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Xiaomi air 13.3 is a gorgeous and good machine that throttles like a mofo

My point re: xps 13 and dgpu is that the chassis is comparable to 11.5 inch devices for thermals. -most- 13 inch devices are bigger than the xps13

Iirc this is the last generation thatll use that chassis so we'll see what next year brings.

The idea of putting a gtx1060 in a xps13 is like putting the turbine off a 747 onto a biplane

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 8, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I have a straightforward question that I'm finding oddly difficult to answer, because I can't find a notebook search engine / database with the right data and filters:

What is the longest battery life currently available on a 17-inch laptop?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NihilCredo posted:

I have a straightforward question that I'm finding oddly difficult to answer, because I can't find a notebook search engine / database with the right data and filters:

What is the longest battery life currently available on a 17-inch laptop?

HP's ProBook 470 G4? The HP Envy 17-n107ng has similar life.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Thanks! Which website is that screenshot from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Thanks! Which website is that screenshot from?

Notebookcheck.net