Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

- Cons
Two crew so if you lose one you're out, 19mm and up can kill you from the flanks and to the front or turret it's 38mm minimum that can do you in, the .50cal M80 MG only has tracer belts, 22' max inclination, players with too high IQ to make a TSA gig will do you in if you become their target, Kursk is the worst.

- Pros
Tiny profile just larger than an M22, easily blending in by clever use of freely attained camo foilage and decals, ambiphibic, 381mm maxpen HEAT so if you can hit it you can kill it, the MG is calibrated and helps for ranging, very satisfying and rewarding say when you take a Maus out from the front a good distance away.

Other con: 8000+ eagles. Guess I'll wait for the sale.

But I love the M22 and the Ru 251, and I drive lots of British tanks. Dying in one hit is what I'm used to. :haw:

In other news: I got 3 kills against Bf 109s and Fw 190s today in a realistic match in the Yak 9t. I'm in love with this plane. I'm determined to learn how to dogfight -- it's a pretty good bomber interceptor, but I really want to be a better pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
When's the french beta starting? I think this is the first one I care about enough to actually try.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd say end of January, possibly February. The standard time frame is normally three months but the transition from 1.71 to 1.73 was really fast.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Did you know you can kill the Panther T-V with .50cal ground target belts from over 500 meters away? :psyduck:

e: just nailed a Coelian from the side in the same way, are the gods of aiming with me or was there a ninjachange done?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 2, 2017

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Did you know you can kill the Panther T-V with .50cal ground target belts from over 500 meters away? :psyduck:

e: just nailed a Coelian from the side in the same way, are the gods of aiming with me or was there a ninjachange done?

.50's now have infinite pen just like they did in real life. Did you not see Red Tails: A WWII Documentary?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
players need to unlock an armored poop deck to defend against them

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I haven't played since ATGMs were put in, what'd I miss?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Asproigerosis posted:

I haven't played since ATGMs were put in, what'd I miss?

Tanks had their prices dropped across the board.

Also, Italian/French planes. As well as Japanese tanks, and the beginnings of the Italian/French line.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
:o: finally I can play my AMX tanks in a game engine that isn't shitawful!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AMX? American Export?

Yeah, sure, there's a Sherman II in both the Brit (oh yeah, Brit tanks also happened, not sure if that was before or after missiles) and Japanese line if you want to suffer. Though I guess you're more interested in the Chaffee and the other later American stuff in the Japanese SDF line.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Atelier de Construction d'Issy-les-Moulineaux

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
What's your name?

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Boats in yet?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Did they change the flight model sometime in the last 3-4 months? I logged back in to play my usual I-153 / I-16 and it feels like they handle way different. Like much harder to roll and less maneuverable :argh:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

YarPirate posted:

Boats in yet?

Nope! French tanks are coming in the next update, and I assume Italian tanks (lol) are the next before boats.

BULBASAUR posted:

Did they change the flight model sometime in the last 3-4 months? I logged back in to play my usual I-153 / I-16 and it feels like they handle way different. Like much harder to roll and less maneuverable :argh:

Nope.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Azran posted:

Nope! French tanks are coming in the next update, and I assume Italian tanks (lol) are the next before boats.

Nope.

Didn't they do a boats open beta and imply it was really close to being done a few months ago? Did they change everything based on feedback or something? I want boats.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Boats mode seems fun, if you're the biggest, baddest boat around. The small torpedo boats and smaller gunboats seem to get eaten really easily by the bigger destroyers...which seems obvious.
Even planes are food for radar-fuzed shells and secondary AA guns.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I'd pay $$$ if they had it so you could fight boats in your tanks.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

BULBASAUR posted:

Far more than 3-4 months ago was when the I-153 was impacted by FM changes, still a great bird.

YarPirate posted:

Didn't they do a boats open beta and imply it was really close to being done a few months ago? Did they change everything based on feedback or something? I want boats.

Yeah, they decided to give in to WoWS rejects and add Destroyers and Cruisers, right now the aiming system for boats and above is the same and it's so inane it's like it was made by an outsourced third party who got instructions over the phone by someone speaking Geordie.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So basically WT Botes currently worse than Steel Ocean?

I wonder how that game is doing these days.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wonder how that game is doing these days.

I've heard it's super bad to be anything but the big boats because they can murder you with their larger, deadlier guns. Kinda realistic, I guess, but probably not if you factor in how trivial spotting things is and how easy it is to be pinpoint accurate here compared to reality.

I also think Steel Ocean was better than WoWS mechanically in a bunch of ways.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

This in tanks :laffo:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It's still pretty alpha but can with less vodka, less idiotic design decisions and an engine overhaul, kick serious rear end and be legitimately fine and balanced.

The WoWS rejects who play only Destroyers and want them to be in T1 are the wehraboos of the seas mentally and it's a good time to practice bullseyeing with bombs.

e: the test even balance is basically rubber dinghy VS fully manned ultra-destroyer, instead of getting the bigass 4x88mm cannon boats we had in previous tests before Destroyers came and hosed the balance. Best defense boats have against destroyers is the aiming system, which gets more stable if you strand yourself on purpose, and the enemy Destroyers tend to broadside without worry or care so forward facing turrets are enough to dispatch one after another.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 6, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MrLonghair posted:

It's still pretty alpha but can with less vodka, less idiotic design decisions and an engine overhaul, kick serious rear end and be legitimately fine and balanced.

The WoWS rejects who play only Destroyers and want them to be in T1 are the wehraboos of the seas mentally and it's a good time to practice bullseyeing with bombs.

e: the test even balance is basically rubber dinghy VS fully manned ultra-destroyer, instead of getting the bigass 4x88mm cannon boats we had in previous tests before Destroyers came and hosed the balance. Best defense boats have against destroyers is the aiming system, which gets more stable if you strand yourself on purpose, and the enemy Destroyers tend to broadside without worry or care so forward facing turrets are enough to dispatch one after another.

By strand yourself do you mean like run your boat aground?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

hakimashou posted:

By strand yourself do you mean like run your boat aground?

Yes, tactically turning yourself into Battleship Island, protected by rocks to one side, emptiness rarely travelled to the other, the front having a safe field for firing down range. Only way to get the aiming to stop being ultra-screwy right now, and they had this system working acceptably many tests ago without requiring wearing your index finger the heck out spinning the scrollwheel adjusting for range.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

wearing your index finger the heck out spinning the scrollwheel

Use your middle finger for scrolling you donut

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

MrLonghair posted:

What in tarnation.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Daily naval tests until the 11th, various maps seen before, same batch of vehicles. I'll lose my hours in Skyrim VR instead.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Shot down a MiG-9 with my AD-2 in tanks last night, while using the skin of the Skyraider that shot down jets in Vietnam :frogc00l:

Fletcher continues to be hilariously good in boats because of the dual purpose 5 inch guns and their anti-air rounds. There is no joy like sniping planes from 5km with the main battery.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 7, 2017

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So the preview of the S.35 has me a bit worried since it only has solid shot ammunition.

The French did use explosive filler in their shells right? Or is the tree that I have been most looking forward to going to suffer in the same way as the Brits?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

jadebullet posted:

So the preview of the S.35 has me a bit worried since it only has solid shot ammunition.

The French did use explosive filler in their shells right? Or is the tree that I have been most looking forward to going to suffer in the same way as the Brits?

IIRC, the 47mm was AP only. The 75mm had APHE.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The French BRs are going to be interesting because the fact they have both good armor and weak guns means they don’t really slot into anything well. Too low and they are invincible murder machines and too high and they just die because armor is the worst quality to have in War Thunder vs speed or firepower unless that armor actually stops most things shooting at you. It’s like the Tiger at 6.0, the armor isn’t good enough to stop 90/122 shots so it’s just a slow box tank with a decent gun.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'd be fine with them being similar to the Jumbo where they are very hard to kill, but not also murder machines.

We just have to avoid them being either like the Matilda (high enough br that the armor is useless) or the IS6(high armor and a good gun)

Edit: looks like the 47mm of the Char B1 only could take APHE and had a max penetration of 25mm of armor. That doesn't look too fun. Thank god the B1ter gets 5 degrees of traverse on the hull 75mm.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 7, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but I accidentally had tank battles selected when checking my Italian research. Apparently there's already a tank line in progress with a P40 and M26 premium

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

You might be joking but these games benefit from cultivating a creeping despair. Just enough that the player thinks they're enjoying themselves but never letting them relax enough that they never think about using micro transactions. Then you hit them with a line of terrible planes/tanks and the despair hits hard and they buy a premium vehicle to grind through.

hahaha I loving knew it, shameless cunts

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I've been playing this on PS4 for about a week and I can tell this is going to get me to buy a joystick, the controller is fine for AB but for Realistic or Sim it's worthless.

I've only touched the British planes so far and after unlocking the first Spitfire I think I'm hooked.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Wait until you get the ones with 20 mm cannons!

And then the ones with 20 mm cannons and a useful amount of ammo. :v:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Haven't played in a while, but I came back recently and it warms my bitter, shriveled heart that pubbies will still, more often than not, headon my P-61C and gunpod toting Twinstang or just completely fail to look up.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Solumin posted:

Wait until you get the ones with 20 mm cannons!

The Hurricane Mk IV with the 40mm cannons is hilarious when people want to go head to head. It's fun to chase down bombers with as well, I only just unlocked the Air belts for it so I'm looking forward to giving them a go.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Friendly Fire posted:

The Hurricane Mk IV with the 40mm cannons is hilarious when people want to go head to head. It's fun to chase down bombers with as well, I only just unlocked the Air belts for it so I'm looking forward to giving them a go.

I once shot a biplane with that cannon. :allears:
(It was a teammate and I didn't see him in time but it was hilarious.)
I've been flying the yak 9t with the 37 mm cannon recently. Those large cannons are so much fun, especially bomber hunting. I've taken down a couple BV 238s with it!

You should check out the Sea Hurricane and, when you reach tier 3, the Firefly. They're somewhat heavy and slow, but they're armed with four 20 mm cannons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Solumin posted:

I once shot a biplane with that cannon. :allears:
(It was a teammate and I didn't see him in time but it was hilarious.)
I've been flying the yak 9t with the 37 mm cannon recently. Those large cannons are so much fun, especially bomber hunting. I've taken down a couple BV 238s with it!

You should check out the Sea Hurricane and, when you reach tier 3, the Firefly. They're somewhat heavy and slow, but they're armed with four 20 mm cannons

In tanks beta I shot a HE51 with a KV2 HE shell. I don't think it even detonated the shell.