Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

A little Dave action.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

A little Dave action.

How do you feel about Dave beating you next year?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

How do you feel about Dave beating you next year?

I'd welcome it. I'm hoping to be in the afternoon race though, so he'd have to promote. NETRA is absolutely brutal about promotions, so I think he'll be a long while.

Here's Anna trying to pass some poor mans:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is she cursing him out in that picture

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Anna didn't have that great of a race. There is a nasty hill 3/4 of the way through the track I'll show ya'll when we get the video done. She didn't make it the first go each time.

The same hill caused me to throw away a great lead in the overall race. My second lap I took about 3 minutes to get up due to bad line selection attempting to go around some folks. About 7 people passed me, and I had to battle them back. Lost a ton of energy pushing the bike up.

Anna can be faster than I am, but does not have the technical chops to make it around most NETRA courses flawlessly. This was a tough one.

Some dude sent me a pic of Dave-in-Air

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Hot new route sheet setup:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Hot new route sheet setup:

Just for transits, right?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

Just for transits, right?

Nah, NETRA does brand X timekeeping, so you have to be on your game all the time. I burned a check by 2 minutes in singletrack this weekend. Goobers.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Footage from DaveCam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9xBlKGih1w&t=173s

You can seem me gently caress up my start by over-wheelying and losing the holeshot. Im directly to the left of Dave witth the yellow/red gear.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Took the AT/+girlfriend on a red diamond trail near us called Big Levels / Bald Mountain off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Everything went well! There were only a few low speed drops trying to navigate around some tall rocks and some fuckoff huge mudpuddles we had to ford / go around the ones that had a go around. Made the mistake of going on a "alternate route" and the bike performed admirably. Girlfriend had to get off a few times at those parts but all went well. Probably not going to do it again, but it was a fun time.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 19, 2017

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I rode a 2018 Yamaha WR250F yesterday. I did about 3 laps of a very familiar trail which is comprised of lots of ledge and roots. Not much dirt, no rolling rocks. It was a rain/snow mix.

The bike had a the "hop-up" kit in, which is the ignition module from the YZ250FX, removal of a throttle stop, and removal of a muffler insert.

The bike is 8-10 lbs heavier wet than the 2017 KTM 250XCF I rode a few weeks ago, but it felt lighter when riding. I think this is due to the reversed cylinder design of the bike. It felt very familiar to me, as it has the same suspension (although not revalved) as my YZ250X. This is the best suspension you can get on a 2018 bike, so not much to say there. It's very loud for the rider, because the airbox is where the gas tank should be, so you get an earful of intake. The exhaust is so quiet, however, that when I rode behind it I couldn't hear the drat thing. Great combination I would say. The motor absolutely rips. There's a reason the YZ250F wins almost everything it signs up for in competition. It's easy to ride, but makes only OK low end power. The top end power is super fun, and the bike has good over-rev, so you don't kill yourself on hill climbs.

It's a difficult decision for a rider comparing the 2018 KTM XC/XCW line and the 2018 FX/WR line from Yamaha. KTM has traction control and lighter weight, Yamaha has... everything else.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have a confession:

I cannot distinguish between intake noise and exhaust noise. On my dirtbike, I have a SuperTrapp muffler, so perhaps it's drowning out the intake. But on my street bike and everything else I've ever ridden, I've never been able to listen and say "Oh, that's clearly intake noise."

What's it like?

Edit: or is most of the engine sound heard through the intake, since that's the only direct opening through which it can escape? Thereby making "intake sound" = "engine sound?"

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 21, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I have a confession:

I cannot distinguish between intake noise and exhaust noise. On my dirtbike, I have a SuperTrapp muffler, so perhaps it's drowning out the intake. But on my street bike and everything else I've ever ridden, I've never been able to listen and say "Oh, that's clearly intake noise."

What's it like?

Edit: or is most of the engine sound heard through the intake, since that's the only direct opening through which it can escape? Thereby making "intake sound" = "engine sound?"

Go ride one of yamaha’s backwards motor bikes.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I have a confession:

What's it like?

Audible sucking noise (heh), raspy combustion, audible valve noise all over the exhaust note.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The 'C' team

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Had a good confidence boosting day at Rocky Run(?) yesterday in the George Washington National Forest. The AT was able easily get over and through all the terrain. I got lost trying to get to it and ended up in some trail on the WV side of the forest that I followed for a few miles before turning around since I was by myself. I really want to get another smaller displacement (and lighter lol) bike that I can take on trails / courses, maybe next year when I move out of Charlottesville.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

C team it out over Saturday's Wareham MX trip:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I need to get out to an mx track again this winter. I'm almost done loving with the van so I might actually get a chance to leave my garage on the weekends again.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

I need to get out to an mx track again this winter. I'm almost done loving with the van so I might actually get a chance to leave my garage on the weekends again.

Are you making a motovan? Did you post about this already and I just missed it/forgot?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not a motovan specifically, in fact I'm pretty sure I'd have to put the bike on a hitch carrier or trailer because it's an astro and not tall enough for a dirt bike. I can comfortably sleep in it, though, so it'll get used for several camping trips next year as well as my moto and hunting trips.

A picture of it from this past weekend. I finally got the subframe bolted back in place, just gotta hook everything back up and put in fluids, prime the oil pump etc.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

Not a motovan specifically, in fact I'm pretty sure I'd have to put the bike on a hitch carrier or trailer because it's an astro and not tall enough for a dirt bike. I can comfortably sleep in it, though, so it'll get used for several camping trips next year as well as my moto and hunting trips.

A picture of it from this past weekend. I finally got the subframe bolted back in place, just gotta hook everything back up and put in fluids, prime the oil pump etc.

Very nice. I have a hitch hauler that’s pretty decent if you need recommendations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Those astro vans are p sw8. I see a few people 4wding around in them in VT.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DAVE made an edit. I suggested a crash reel. We'll see if he pulls through.

Last enduro of the season on Monday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc-gXBHnH_A

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Fun riding and good editing, except for the music. Traffic always sucks :( How did he place?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Dave Crashes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0me_wmWcHY

He placed something like 60th out of 110.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How much trouble am I in with maintenance on a 2017 CRF250X? The R models in general seem to have pretty short rebuild intervals on that unicam motor. But the X is way milder, so maybe it lasts a little longer?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

How much trouble am I in with maintenance on a 2017 CRF250X? The R models in general seem to have pretty short rebuild intervals on that unicam motor. But the X is way milder, so maybe it lasts a little longer?

So much of maintenance is how you ride it. If you're riding like shacked up with brenda, then your maintenance intervals will be considerably shorter than if you're doing mild trail riding with your wife. I would guess you can extend them to at least double, if not more, if you're just trail riding and do regular oil changes.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Regarding 4t specific maintenance:

If it's comparable to the KTM 250 XCF-W and Yam WR250F, you change the oil every 2-3 rides, change the filter every 2-3 oil changes, and check the valves twice yearly.

If it's like the KTM, you have to adjust them every year. If it's like the Yamaha, you have to adjust them every 3 years.

I do a piston in my 4ts every other year because I race. You can go probably up to 5 years without doing it if you're trail riding.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

http://owners.honda.com/assets/OWNERLINK/model/own_man/powersports/2005/2005_CRF250X.pdf
-that's just the first result on google that was close enough.

Often offroad bike maintenance schdules are based upon 'competition' intervals. So if you want the bike to make the max power you've gotta do the piston every 15hr (lol) - and the chain every 7.5 (??).

Given what I've seen about your previous offroad bike experience and the bikes you owned - you do *not* need a 2017 CRF250X unless money is no object and you don't mind the maintenance intervals. If you want less maintenance and similar weight/performance get a two stroke bike.

If you don't need the power, but still want the light weight, I would look into plating one of the aircooled offroad specific bikes. A CRF230F is still quite light and isn't going to require anywhere near the level of maintenance. It'd make for a good trail bike for moderate speed stuff. I got rid of my YZ450F because my riding bros are flakes, but if I was going to get another plated trail bike I'd look at a legalized aircooled bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Too late. Two 2017 CRF250Xs. Desert 100 here we come.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 8, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Huh
How much?

Edit: Do the poker run.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Money is no object (msrp - $500)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
FWIW, I’d change oil every ten hours and piston once it starts burning oil or ~150, whichever came first. Those maintenance intervals are just silly - looks more like MX bike intervals.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

n8r posted:

do *not* need a 2017 CRF250X unless money is no object and you don't mind the maintenance intervals. If you want less maintenance and similar weight/performance get a two stroke bike.

If you don't need the power, but still want the light weight, I would look into plating one of the aircooled offroad specific bikes. A CRF230F is still quite light and isn't going to require anywhere near the level of maintenance. It'd make for a good trail bike for moderate speed stuff. I got rid of my YZ450F because my riding bros are flakes, but if I was going to get another plated trail bike I'd look at a legalized aircooled bike.

250x will be so much better in the desert 100 for suspension alone. 100 miles of whoops on young-adult suspension while 100lbs under sprung is how you don't have fun on a dirt bike. I do see the appeal for poking around trails though, perfect for that.

Congrats clutchpuck, now lets see a wheelie

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

edit: something weird going on with imgur

Also, post some pix u knob

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 8, 2017

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Jimmy D better not let me down this year. So many 4th places last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75GVDGQUu08

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jimmy D better not let me down this year. So many 4th places last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75GVDGQUu08

hope you enjoy being let down with musquin, roczen, anderson and tomac.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

edit: something weird going on with imgur

Also, post some pix u knob

I will when we get them, they're "pending delivery".

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

hope you enjoy being let down with musquin, roczen, anderson and tomac.

250s yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

damnit

hill? plessinger? maybe forkner?