Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

The Milkman posted:

The grip's... grips have a weird shape to them where it feels awkward to hold them the way you would any other modern controller. I only use it to store my extra joycon set

Thankfully you can just hold the drat joy cons separately. Or play handheld like you're supposed to.

They feel weird if you try to grip them too hard, if you keep a pretty loose grip it's comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

poe meater posted:

How heavy and comfortable are the joy cons? What about with the undocked mode? I have a 3ds xl (old) and a ps4 controller to compare to.

DS4 is about 7.5oz, each Joycon is about 1.7oz, super light weight. I was actually surprised at how comfortable I find them, I've not had any desire for a full sized pad (though I am not a fan of the button pad for 2d games, so I may end up with one anyway).

Old 3DS XL was about 12oz, Switch with joycons attached is about 14oz, so it's a little bit heavier. I find it a fair bit more comfortable to hold than the 3DSXL due to the shape and better layout, and because it doesn't have the awkward top screen on a hinge, but my wrists still get tired of holding the Switch for extended durations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the comments and the weight comparison too. I wish you guys said it was super uncomfortable and trash. drat.. I might buy a switch for mario and xenoblade. Last mario game I played was mario 64 at a friends house like 20 years ago.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
The stock comfort grip is a little on the small side. The grips on it are kind of thin so I don't really wrap my hands around them like I do other controllers and more just cradle it with my fingers going across the back, and I have medium sized hands for an adult male.

The PowerA comfort grip is a little more comfortable than the stock one. Its grips are a little beefier and it is wider, so it is a little closer to a normal feeling controller. However, I'd only recommend buying it to have a second one, not to replace the stock one. I think it is weird they are labeled/licensed with Nintendo but it is a different design from the stock one. So I'd see if they have a charge and play version over the Nintendo one if you wanted to get a grip that can charge as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

poe meater posted:

Thanks for the comments and the weight comparison too. I wish you guys said it was super uncomfortable and trash. drat.. I might buy a switch for mario and xenoblade. Last mario game I played was mario 64 at a friends house like 20 years ago.

Get it. Mario Odyssey is like a direct successor to 64. It’s amazing and worth it for that game alone but there’s already a ton of other great games to go along with it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

poe meater posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't sat down and played a 3D Mario since 64 because I never had a Gamecube or Wii and I am having an absolute blast playing Odyssey. When the Switch came out I had no desire to get it because there really were no games I was looking forward to playing then, but now there's a bunch of stuff I want to get plus more on the horizon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"Backer game codes will allow you to pre-load Yooka-Laylee on your Nintendo Switch ahead of the game’s official release on December 14. More importantly, you’ll be able to play the game immediately as well! "

From the Kickstarter email, you can preload the game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The question is, does anyone want to play it before release, or after for that matter??

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Guys I'm spending Christmas with my girlfriend's family and she's asked me to bring my Switch so we can play some multiplayer games but I've only really got BotW, Odyssey, Sonic Mania and Puyo Puyo Tetris. What are some good (not full price i.e. no mario kart) multiplayer games that the whole family can enjoy?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Puyo

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Frankston posted:

Guys I'm spending Christmas with my girlfriend's family and she's asked me to bring my Switch so we can play some multiplayer games but I've only really got BotW, Odyssey, Sonic Mania and Puyo Puyo Tetris. What are some good (not full price i.e. no mario kart) multiplayer games that the whole family can enjoy?

Snipperclips, Overcooked, probably can get bomberman on the cheap now

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

KingSlime posted:

The question is, does anyone want to play it before release, or after for that matter??

They ignored my request for a switch key when they announced that version so I played it on PC and can confirm the only reason you should get this game is if you also already Backed it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

KingSlime posted:

Yeah that's me actually I've been longing for another British collection fest

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Frankston posted:

Rocket League will do splitscreen for two undocked and four docked. You can play against each other or against randos online. It's very accessible and only $20

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Overcooked, Snipperclips, Jackbox # (look into them; I like the trivia from #1 the best but there are a whole range of games that suit a whole range of people).

Heck, you could get by just fine with the free demo of Puyo Puyo Tetris. I think I did that for a good month before I bought it.

The Switch is a good party game system.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I was away this week so no proper update, but here's what came out.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Top Hunter Roddy & Cathy
ACORN Tactics
Caveman Warriors
Dimension Drive
Embers of Mirrim
Floor Kids
Gunbird
Human: Fall Flat
Nine Parchments
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive
Plague Road
Plantera Deluxe
Red Game Without a Great Name
Riptide GP: Renegade
The Sexy Brutale
Slain: Back From Hell
Tennis in the Face
Teslagrad
TouchBattleTank SP
Vostok Inc.
WWE 2K18
Yodanji

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Frankston posted:

Mario kart

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I was thinking snipperclips and overcooked, and the jack party games are on sale right now so I'll grab one of those

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I would not recommend Bomberman. It looks soulless and your character glides around with the analogue stick. But SnipperClips is great fun.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

irlZaphod posted:

I was away this week so no proper update, but here's what came out.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Top Hunter Roddy & Cathy
ACORN Tactics
Caveman Warriors
Dimension Drive
Embers of Mirrim
Floor Kids
Gunbird
Human: Fall Flat
Nine Parchments
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds Overdrive
Plague Road
Plantera Deluxe
Red Game Without a Great Name
Riptide GP: Renegade
The Sexy Brutale
Slain: Back From Hell
Tennis in the Face
Teslagrad
TouchBattleTank SP
Vostok Inc.
WWE 2K18
Yodanji

Someone tell these companies to stop releasing so many games for the Switch, this console is getting too perfect for me.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I played the demo for Nine Parchments. I think the experience was soured for me because of the controls, specifically aiming. The demo was also janky because I had to do the tutorial level every time I died.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Could be useful if it lets you tell whether or not they'll get enough charge in time to continue a combo or not. Depending on what you have equipped you might be able to continue it yourself, with a less ideal element, for example.

There's no way for them to accurately display that because movement and other activity in battle will constantly affect it. Especially for the tank.

Frankston posted:

Just buy Mario Kart, it's worth the price.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Frankston posted:

Overcooked.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Frankston posted:

I was thinking snipperclips and overcooked, and the jack party games are on sale right now so I'll grab one of those

Snipperclips and Overcooked are my go-tos for party games. Jackbox also works, but is better with even more people (8 is good).

Nine Parchments just came out, and despite the handful of issues I've had with resuming game sessions and losing some data, I think it could be a fun and chaotic co-op experience. It supports single-joycon (a surprise for a twin-stick shooter kind of game), but the unconventional configuration can be difficult for people less accustomed to action games to get used to.

You don't want Mario Kart, but my two cents on it anyway: it's good if there's not a massive skill difference. Depending on the crowd, somebody might get soured on the whole thing if they're constantly coming in 11th or 12th. I've found the battle modes tend to even things up a bit.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 8, 2017

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Jackbox is also good because you don't have to worry about having extra controllers.

Assuming everyone has a smartphone

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

If you are playing with folks who don't normally play video games I'd strongly recommend jackbox. It's just a bunch of cool party games

if you have a big screen and couch and people who love video games then overcooked and mariokart are THE JAM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

screaden posted:

Jackbox is also good because you don't have to worry about having extra controllers.

Assuming everyone has a smartphone

I've heard this about every version of Jackbox. How does that work, with using your phones? Is there an app?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've heard this about every version of Jackbox. How does that work, with using your phones? Is there an app?

No app. Once you pick a game in Jackbox, it gives you a four-letter "room code." You go to http://jackbox.tv on your phone, punch it in along with your name, and now you're connected. All the in-game prompts to do stuff will appear on your phone, for privacy. It's great.

Many games also come with audience participation, made for people who stream on Twitch. The room code stays on the TV once the game has started, and people watching can join in and participate in some limited capacity, depending on the game.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

404notfound posted:

No app. Once you pick a game in Jackbox, it gives you a four-letter "room code." You go to http://jackbox.tv on your phone, punch it in along with your name, and now you're connected. All the in-game prompts to do stuff will appear on your phone, for privacy. It's great.

The only bad part about using the phones is that it does tend to suck down the battery life. I always had to plug in my Android phone whenever I played.

A fun Jackbox meta game is to steal the name one of the other players used in the last round.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A demo for Lost Sphear is up.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
You can also use tablets, laptops, or anything else to play jackbox. It just needs a browser.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zelda dlc 2 available TONIGHT

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

THERE'S A MOTORBIKE
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/938959312080252928/photo/1

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

gently caress YOU NINTENDO, I HAVE poo poo TO DO, YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME AN-------
Motorcycle horse?

I didn't want to go to work tomorrow anyway.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a game yet that's like Gang Beasts?
I want some mindless party games that are also fine for two people.

I already have MK8, Pyuo and Snipper.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whelp guess I’m not playing Skyrim for the next few days

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What's actually in the dlc, I backed out because the trailer started showing the end of the game (which I still haven't finished!)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
yo is that fuckin horse armor too in the tweet before motorcycle tweet

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tender Bender posted:

What's actually in the dlc, I backed out because the trailer started showing the end of the game (which I still haven't finished!)

The motorcycle from the concept art, some new masks, and some shrines. There was a hint of some kind of megashrine dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

lelandjs posted:

The motorcycle from the concept art, some new masks. Nothing else was confirmed per se.

We also saw a bunch of new shrines and what looked like another divine beast.

• Locked thread