Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

ReidRansom posted:

Molestivus?

TouchGhazi

dog tax yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

canepazzo posted:

There's also that story hanging of the... NYT? CNN? About to drop a bomb on up to 20-30 currently serving reps.

I think a lot of people's offices just got "reached out to for comment"ed.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Lavarbigballer/status/938892276863877121

I bet this is gonna get a reaction.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

canepazzo posted:

There's also that story hanging of the... NYT? CNN? About to drop a bomb on up to 20-30 currently serving reps.

investigating, not like "about to drop a bomb on"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/938902833956605952

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

booseek posted:

Actually, Rex is mostly right. If someone had a few novelty coins and the price went up x10 early on, they probably would have sold then and not waited until today's records. You don't know what the high before the crash is, or if the high is a new low. And if you invested a "measly" 1k, getting 10k in return would make most people sell way back then.

What I'm saying is that the stories of people getting rid of their coins when they weren't worth much and getting responses like "had you held you'd be worth 20m, idiot!" don't account for the fact that most people would have sold much, much earlier.

Ah yes, the 'old baseball cards' trope. Just give the past-posters you run across a good swirlie and move on.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Seems unlikely that they'd drop a story of all 20 at once. Each one probably requires quite a bit of due diligence, they'd most likely do it one at a time, no?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

Moorest fest
Moorestageddon
Moorestapalooza

forcing word play.

why are you guys making molest puns

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nice try wapo, Trump said in his autobiography that he HAS no friends

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Crotchmas

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/jenhab/status/938897278022176768

Collins is still going to vote yes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/938903303919931392

read: "trump and congressional leadership are off their loving rocker, the government will shut down in december"

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

on Trump's McDonald's eating habits: there is NO WAY anyone can convince me he "doesn't eat the buns" of his burgers. the man has no impulse control. hell he probably eats half the wrapper as he crams that stuff down his throat the second he sees food past the wax paper.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

wouldn't necessarily bet on it depending on whatever abomination comes out of conference as a whole

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

TouchGhazi

dog tax yay!

Kansas with 10 electoral votes is loving nuts.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

They're not getting this done by Christmas, are they :laffo:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/938903303919931392

read: "trump and congressional leadership are off their loving rocker, the government will shut down in december"

"ends chain migration"

Is that code for "ends birthright citizenship"? if so :stare:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

HappyHippo posted:

Seems unlikely that they'd drop a story of all 20 at once. Each one probably requires quite a bit of due diligence, they'd most likely do it one at a time, no?

It's advent, you do one every day.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Trent Franks has the 8th district of AZ, basically north & western phoenix, with republicans winning in landslides or unopposed since 2014.

It also got redistricted to hell and back in 2010.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 8, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

"ends chain migration"

No it means that it ends the ability of citizens who immigrated to sponsor relatives for citizenship.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

axeil posted:

"ends chain migration"

Could they ever pull away birthright citizenship for people who are were already born here, or would it be going forward?

As I typed that I realized how insane it sounds, but here we are.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

axeil posted:

"ends chain migration"

That's in the constitution, but family visas are probably on notice.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Blorange posted:

I actually thought it was, but started doubting myself. Things have been so off the hook this last year I don't even trust my own brain.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kelly posted:

Could they ever pull away birthright citizenship for people who are were already born here, or would it be going forward?

As I typed that I realized how insane it sounds, but here we are.

No, I forget which one, I think its one of the slavery amendments, but one of the amendments pretty firmly establishes birthright citizenship.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Kelly posted:

I actually thought it was, but started doubting myself. Things have been so off the hook this last year I don't even trust my own brain.

No, you're right. It only defines natural born citizenship in relation to the presidency. Everything else is just a law.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

Nice try wapo, Trump said in his autobiography that he HAS no friends

No but he's been trying for his whole life to get in with the Old Money of nyc, if they suck is cock for a bit they can change the bill.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blorange posted:

Like the US has ever even remotely followed what the constitution said about citizenship.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

axeil posted:

"ends chain migration"

no

evilweasel posted:

No it means that it ends the ability of citizens who immigrated to sponsor relatives for citizenship.

ending birthright citizenship would require

A) Constitutional amendment, lol no
or B) an unusually insane Supreme Court, and no, Team Nothing Matters, we're not even REMOTELY there yet, it gets maybe two votes

last time "under the jurisdiction of [the United States'] laws" came up it went 9-0 for "unauthorized immigrants are under the jurisdiction, never mind actual factual authorized immigrants"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like the US has ever even remotely followed what the constitution said about citizenship.

the hell is this

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Joke: haha i can't believe they let hitler happen, am i right:
Woke:
https://twitter.com/GerardAraud/status/938900805809295361
https://twitter.com/GerardAraud/status/938901177797939200

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Then it’s settled. LaVar Ball is extremely good.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The courts get rather strict and heated about the government trying to deny or curtail citizenship. There was a case earlier this year where the supreme court's conservatives rebuked Trump's lawyers more harshly than just about any other case, and it was over just permanent residence, never mind citizenship.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rigel posted:

No, I forget which one, I think its one of the slavery amendments, but one of the amendments pretty firmly establishes birthright citizenship.

It was the Fourteenth, aka Literally The GOP's Least Favorite Amendment Except Maybe The Income Tax One.

quote:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The jurisdiction part is generally and very reliably held to only exclude:

- Active service foreign military parents
- Active service foreign diplomacy parents
- Related weird corner cases like being born on a foreign-flagged hospital ship in US territorial waters

like, I wouldn't recommend, as an unauthorized immigrant, giving birth on a Native American reservation, but other than that

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Those three countries almost certainly are largely responsible for setting the conditions for fascism to take hold following the Treaty of Versailles. In the case of France, they literally held Germany hostage in the 20s

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The idea that fascism Rose because of sanction is kind reductive

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Boon posted:

Those three countries almost certainly are largely responsible for setting the conditions for fascism to take hold following the Treaty of Versailles. In the case of France, they literally held Germany hostage in the 20s

Why is the French Ambassador to the United States posting about this on twitter is the question here

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:lol:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/938909265120694272

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

x post

https://twitter.com/TimAlberta/status/938896820411031553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

ehhhhhhhhhh

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Does this mean that he was some sort of rape demon or does it mean his transgressions were relatively insignificant? I'm guessing the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Trent Franks wrote Steven Universe fan fic.

• Locked thread