Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You can crack your own back by twisting and/or compressing your torso with your muscles, no back walking required. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

loss.jpg is a lovely forced meme that was never funny

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Loss edits can be funny, but the people who say "wow loss edits sure are getting abstract!" to anything even vaguely similar are not.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

hawowanlawow posted:

Same except also the sesame street ones.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hawowanlawow posted:

This is so wrong

Fister Roboto posted:

Loss edits can be funny, but the people who say "wow loss edits sure are getting abstract!" to anything even vaguely similar are not.

This is absolutely right, especially when said posters completely miss the point of that joke and reply with it to actual loss edits.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

MizPiz posted:

People who dismiss conspiracy theories because "it's impossible to keep something that big a secret" are as delusional as the people who think fluoride is a mind control chemical.

I kind of got this with the trend of what Reddit seems to be calling "ElsaGate," where there's a bunch of creepy nonsensical videos on Youtube featuring various popular kids IPs that end up playing eventually when autoplaying kids content. They often feature things like cartoon characters "cheating" and "getting pregnant" or dying in violent ways, and in general are totally nonsensical garbage that look more like an algorithm created them than a human being. I think it's totally reasonable that there's an ulterior motive behind some of the channels besides just generating ad revenue for clickbait, and it's pretty clear there's massive botting going on in the views/comments numbers, but the conspiracy theories I've seen tend towards completely unbelievable bullshit. For example, Russians using the videos to brainwash Western kids, being a front for a massive human trafficking thing by hiding secret messages in the comments, etc.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Possibly popular opinion for anyone besides conspiracy theorists: Calling every single theory "_____gate" makes it sound far less legitimate. There have been so many "gates" that they are now more associated with absurd bullshit like pizzagate and when I hear "elsagate" I assume it's the same "think of the children" handwringing. If there is actual evidence of it being used for nefarious purposes and not just a bunch of people making super wacky random videos, where is it? Not everything is a russian plot or a child sex trafficking ring. e: to be clear I know you don't believe that, I'm talking about the people you mention in the last sentence.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Possibly popular opinion for anyone besides conspiracy theorists: Calling every single theory "_____gate" makes it sound far less legitimate. There have been so many "gates" that they are now more associated with absurd bullshit like pizzagate and when I hear "elsagate" I assume it's the same "think of the children" handwringing. If there is actual evidence of it being used for nefarious purposes and not just a bunch of people making super wacky random videos, where is it? Not everything is a russian plot or a child sex trafficking ring. e: to be clear I know you don't believe that, I'm talking about the people you mention in the last sentence.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Melania Trump's Christmas decorations look great.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Tiggum posted:

There's a very clear tutorial section before the first hub and you're a couple of objectives right away (go check in with the cops and go visit the order church).

I tried playing it when it was fairly new, I tried playing it again after Invisible War. It's a poo poo game.

you're a poo poo game

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Melania Trump's Christmas decorations look great.

Yeah it's a great decoration for the twelve nights of Christmas, where we huddle in our homes while kobolds saw at the trunk of the world tree, and the Wild Hunt snatches unwary travellers off the roads.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

pidan posted:

Yeah it's a great decoration for the twelve nights of Christmas, where we huddle in our homes while kobolds saw at the trunk of the world tree, and the Wild Hunt snatches unwary travellers off the roads.

lol

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

pidan posted:

Yeah, exactly

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate. By a lot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Inspired by recent events / changes to their payment system:

I've never liked the idea of just floating a dollar to someone on Patreon. I don't begrudge people who did, and I got that it all added up, but I was never able to shake the sense that I was insulting the person with a pittance.

E: vvv yeah, the aforementioned recent events / changes to their payment system. Long story short, you're now paying the fees or something. Hurts people who had a ton of dollar pledges to a ton of patrons the most, or something.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Dec 8, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is that in reference to something?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Unpopular opinion: giving someone 1 dollar a month is basically the same as 0 dollars so if the fees are bothering you, just cancel it. Be more choosy with who you support so you can afford to give enough for it to matter.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Unpopular opinion: giving someone 1 dollar a month is basically the same as 0 dollars so if the fees are bothering you, just cancel it. Be more choosy with who you support so you can afford to give enough for it to matter.

I'm pretty sure there's a subclause that prevents me from giving up my tiara and sash as PYF'S NICEST POSTER when I accidentally on purpose flush your head down a toilet

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It's true, giving someone money is actually the same as not giving them money

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't know if it's better to give Stefan Molyneux no money at all or one dollar because he loving hates it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CM_--di7L8

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Dec 8, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Send him one dollar and ask for "Black & White" cheat codes

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a subclause that prevents me from giving up my tiara and sash as PYF'S NICEST POSTER when I accidentally on purpose flush your head down a toilet

did I kill your dog recently or something or what.

e: and yes I know 1 dollar isn't actually equal to 0 dollars, but it's still pocket change and throwing a few quarters at someone once a month isn't a great show of support. I was speaking more from the e-beggar...i mean, content creator's perspective.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Dec 8, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

did I kill your dog recently or something or what.

e: and yes I know 1 dollar isn't actually equal to 0 dollars, but it's still pocket change and throwing a few quarters at someone once a month isn't a great show of support. I was speaking more from the e-beggar...i mean, content creator's perspective.

If it seems like I'm picking on you (and I am) it's because you tend to exhibit the sort of compassion and self-awareness I usually only ascribe to fourteen-year-old girls that unironically have "favorite instagram personalities"

You also come off like you were born with a silver loving spoon in your mouth and it migrated to your brain and made you kind of mean and retarded.

There are a lot of people making really neat stuff and subsidizing their work through Patreon. It's a nice way for people of slender means to support other people of slender means, and those small pledges can add up to something relatively meaningful to a small-scale producer of content.

NB: I do not have a Patreon and have no personal stake in this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Thank you for the critique of my posting persona.

If you read past what your predisposed idea of me is, my original point was that if you have the money to spread your 1 dollar bills around to a lot of people like bibs was talking about, it would be a more meaningful gesture to lump it into a bigger number and give it to one or two people. A dollar isn't nothing but I think a 10 dollar a month donation enables them to produce more than the dollar enables the 10 producers who only get that from you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of people on Patreon say the $1 people add up and usually make up a significant piece of the monthly amount.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Inspired by recent events / changes to their payment system:

I've never liked the idea of just floating a dollar to someone on Patreon. I don't begrudge people who did, and I got that it all added up, but I was never able to shake the sense that I was insulting the person with a pittance.

E: vvv yeah, the aforementioned recent events / changes to their payment system. Long story short, you're now paying the fees or something. Hurts people who had a ton of dollar pledges to a ton of patrons the most, or something.
To expand, Patreon currently takes their fees out of the pledge, meaning if you pledge :10bux: the creator would see about $9 of that, but the total percentage the creator gets is a bit variable depending on the average pledge. They're changing it so that they're always taking 5% out of the pledge from the creator, but instead they're adding a 2.9% + $0.35 fee per pledge for the patreon.

The fixed fee is the really sucky part because it practically means they're punishing smaller pledges. Even though Patreon don't charge you each pledge seperately, so as far as transaction fees are concerned it really doesn't matter to them if you pledge a dollar each to 20 creators or $20 to a single creator.

Under the new rules though the former would cost the patreon $27.60 (38% fees) but the latter would only cost $20.93 (4.6% fees), though the creator(s) would get $19 total either way. It's even worse if you have to pay VAT too, since that's applied after the fees.

I can understand that transactions fees are a significant cost for Patreon when it comes to people who have a single $1-2 pledge, but I think a fairer way in that case would be to charge a fixed transaction fee on the sum of your pledges, not on each one.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Dec 8, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It seems so much easier to make money by asking for a little bit from a bunch of people than asking for a lot from few people.

e: It also means you're going to have way less fluctuation if someone stops donating

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

It seems so much easier to make money by asking for a little bit from a bunch of people than asking for a lot from few people.

It's true; this is literally how Barack Obama became president.

(Well, maybe not literally.)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's good that Patreon's going tits up if it means fewer webcomics.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't know if it's unpopular these days - I feel like maybe they've had a sort of critical and popular reassessment, which is a pretty rare but neat thing - but the Monkees are loving great. Their show was cutting edge and hilarious, and their music was really good.

"Porpoise Song" is so pretty, drat.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ultima66 posted:

That said, it's dumb to dismiss all anime. On top of Miyazaki and the standard super popular kids stuff from the 90s, Makoto Shinkai is a really good director and has recently made some pretty big waves with Your Name. Like Miyazaki, he kind of ignores all the creepy poo poo that is prevalent in anime and just makes dramas about relationships between normal human beings, though Your Name plays a bit into silly anime tropes and crude sexual humor that I find annoying. Kind of on topic for the thread, 5 Centimeters Per Second is my actual favorite Shinkai film and my favorite movie in general. It's a drama about a guy who starts going out with a girl in middle school and tries to maintain the relationship even though their families move further and further apart as they grow up. It also is maybe the most aggressive film I've ever seen about trying to get the audience to cry constantly.

I don't like Miyazaki films because they don't make any loving sense. Howl's Moving Castle might as well be called "Crazy poo poo we throw at your face for 90 minutes" because I can't find constantly random things happening whimsical, just bewildering

If I was asked to sum up the plot of Ponyo I feel like trying to describe it would be longer than the movie itself and I would probably doubt myself on every other sentence

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't like Miyazaki films because they don't make any loving sense. Howl's Moving Castle might as well be called "Crazy poo poo we throw at your face for 90 minutes" because I can't find constantly random things happening whimsical, just bewildering

If I was asked to sum up the plot of Ponyo I feel like trying to describe it would be longer than the movie itself and I would probably doubt myself on every other sentence

You must be real dumb when you can't understand children's films.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The amount of useless poo poo bags that make a ton of money off of patreon makes me want to puke.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah. Raking in several grand for making elf titties every so often, loving hell.

Guess I'm just frustrated because of the amount of people I see whinging about their poverty while bringing in that sort of money, and I'm on a fraction of it with a nurse's job. How the gently caress do you piss away that much money with nothing to show for it.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

steinrokkan posted:

It's good that Patreon's going tits up if it means fewer webcomics.

You monster The Great War channel relies on patreon funding. :saddowns:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The only good patreon is wolfpupy's because he made my avatar. I guess he does other things too but mostly I just wanted the walking duck.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tarantula posted:

You monster The Great War channel relies on patreon funding. :saddowns:

Whoever runs a show about the Great War ought to understand that every victory comes at the cost of a sacrifice.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

veni veni veni posted:

The amount of useless poo poo bags that make a ton of money off of patreon makes me want to puke.

Are they better or worse than soap actors, or Harvey Weinstein? Patreon, or something like it, is the way of the future. So get ready for more elf tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
They're worse, because corporate stuff is inherently better than indie stuff.