Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Probs his most recent boyfriend
:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Saying Kitty loving Pryde should be front and center in Days of Future Past is a "random diversity pull" now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Saying Kitty loving Pryde should be front and center in Days of Future Past is a "random diversity pull" now.

It's because Page is openly gay. Which has nothing to do with the character at all but here we are.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

That feels like a random diversity pull.

A random diversity pull

In a movie

Named after a storyline that not only featured her as its primary character, but also played an important role in catapulting her into the role of an important X-Men character

In a franchise that's supposed to be about diversity and the disenfranchised.

Okay man. Sure.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It made more sense for the metanarrarive of the movies where Wolverine was for better or worse the main character. Before that Kitty was just cameos in the first two and just a side character in X3.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Nothing anyone didn't know or already expected, but it looks like DCCU is being retooled

http://collider.com/dc-films-restru...ersocial#images

I like this quote

quote:

Variety says there are no immediate plans for Snyder to direct another DC movie, and the outlet notes that Time Warner—Warner Bros.’ parent company—“is said to be frustrated that Warner Bros. leaders continued to bring the director back.”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m not wading into that, but I agree with the point that Wolverine didn’t exactly get the spotlight either compared to the past characters and in the context of bridging the continuities I think he was the sensible choice having been far and away the biggest character.

Ok bye now!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

David D. Davidson posted:

It made more sense for the metanarrarive of the movies where Wolverine was for better or worse the main character. Before that Kitty was just cameos in the first two and just a side character in X3.

and before Days of Future Past, Kitty was just "the youngest member of the team" without many significant stories to her name.

Also, if it's so important that Logan be there and you're arguing that you don't need to do 1:1 adaptations of the source material, why not, I don't know, change the rules about the made-up-anyway concept of time travel and send them both back? Satisfy both things?

These things are not mutually exclusive.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 8, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait, what "promise" and "characters" from First Class were there to exploit in DOFP? Because I watched - more accurately, tried to watch - First Class recently, and literally everything beyond Cyclops, Professor X, Mystique sometimes (she was clearly the weakest of the three main characters and the most poorly written), Sebastian Shaw, and Moira McTaggert when she was onscreen was trash.

All the new mutants were trash. They took Nicholas Hoult, a good actor, and stuck him behind terrible loving makeup and a badly written boring as gently caress Beast so he sucked almost every moment he was onscreen. January Jones sucked. The movie is sort of an interesting examination of the dichotomy between Charles and Erik, with a badly-written Action Girl Who Constantly Crushes On Someone Mystique wedged in there, and then a bunch of boring idiots who die. And a fun villain.

Like hoo boy basically nothing outside of the Holocaust/Erik/Charles trying to get the Academy going stuff holds up under any loving scrutiny whatsoever.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 8, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TFRazorsaw posted:

and before Days of Future Past, Kitty was just "the youngest member of the team" without many significant stories to her name.

Also, if it's so important that Logan be there and you're arguing that you don't need to do 1:1 adaptations of the source material, why not, I don't know, change the rules about the made-up-anyway concept of time travel and send them both back? Satisfy both things?

These things are not mutually exclusive.

Wolverine basically just exists to get Professor X and Magneto talking again and then get sidelined; there’s barely enough for one character in that role let alone two.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Don't get me wrong. First Class squandered a lot of its own potential, DoFP just made it even worse.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Wolverine basically just exists to get Professor X and Magneto talking again and then get sidelined; there’s barely enough for one character in that role let alone two.

That just sounds like the matter of changing it to begin with added up to nothing. You can say "from a metanarrative perspective it makes more sense for it to be Logan" but that falls apart when no one in the past even knows who he is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really like the look of FC, it has a real Mad Men feel.

I kinda hope that they have Emma in a future movie, and just kinda forget she was in FC.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Kevin Bacon is my poo poo in First Class though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The period setting was neat, especially compared to generic modern day America.

Apocalypse was a real let down in this regard, as in so many others.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The other difference is that the comics are different from the movies, so the idea that they would bridge a continuity reboot with their biggest character rather than boost a more minor one doesn’t really sound at all unreasonable to me.

It’s just the nature of the mediums, I think. With the comics it’s another step in the story with no definitive end, but in the movie it’s a very definitive fresh start.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like trying to rewatch FC is what I was doing when I finally decided to watch DOFP but then I quit during the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" scene, which, typically speaking, is one of my favorite parts of superhero flicks, but it was so badly written, so obvious and stupid and base, I quit it and still haven't seen DOFP.

Like, I dunno how you gently caress up the fun and easy part of a superhero movie - "Here's everyone geeking out over everyone else's powers" - but boy did FC excel at it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
At least dofp gave us quicksilver

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I really like the look of FC, it has a real Mad Men feel.

I kinda hope that they have Emma in a future movie, and just kinda forget she was in FC.

As long as they recast her.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

site posted:

At least dofp gave us quicksilver

I prefer his Avengers appearance.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I prefer his Avengers appearance.

Both are good but the MCU version is just so much more dashing. :swoon:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

As long as they recast her.

Oh yea, that was a given. She also needs to have her Mid-Atlantic accent.

Apocalypse squanders its 80s setting and excellently cast young X-men. I think that was its biggest sin, i mean outside of a general crumminess. More kids, less adults.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Pretty sure the Fox version is faster.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

X2 was dope for Nightcrawler fight, Wolverine fight and Iceman coming out to his folks.

Made X3 twice as insulting for the cure storyline, which Rogue took

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How many of these is JLaw contracted for? She's pretty clearly wanted out since FC wrapped

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Don't tell me Dr. Sivana wouldn't own as the villain in Shazam

He would have to be either Armin Shimerman, Hector Elizondo, Wallace Shawn or F. Murray Abraham. Any one of them would be perfect though I'm not sure which of them would be best.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

poly and open-minded posted:

X2 was dope for Nightcrawler fight, Wolverine fight and Iceman coming out to his folks.

Made X3 twice as insulting for the cure storyline, which Rogue took

gently caress the film version of Rogue. All they knew about her is she can't touch people and is from the South. That's it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Armie Hammer as Dr. Sivana

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Proposing Kitty should've been the lead not because of comics adaptation, but because she would be a Jewish protagonist is why I think it's a random diversity pull. I'm not saying there shouldn't be movies that have that. I just think X-Men Days of Future Past isn't the right hill to die on. There's no way DOFP does as well as it does if they sideline Jackman for Ellen Page even though that character had nothing to it. It was a sequel. Why would it not use the main characters from the previous films in the franchise?

I hate when comic movie discussion becomes a race to prove who knows the source material better. I know Kitty was in the dang comic. I don't see why that should mean she randomly gets inserted into a main character slot for like the 7th movie in the franchise. Especially when the movie Days of Future Past shares VERY little with the actual book itself. If they're gonna push anyone, it should probably be Rogue. She'd gotten a lot more than Kitty in those movies to the point where they used to pretend she was a main character in them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

what

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Retro Futurist posted:

How many of these is JLaw contracted for? She's pretty clearly wanted out since FC wrapped

She's done. She signed a 3-picture contract and, according to her, her, McAvoy, and Fassbender all have a handshake poison pill where if one of them doesn't want to do it any more, they all walk.

I brought this up when it was mentioned the first time, but, creatively speaking, the absolute best thing for the FOX X-Meniverse is for all three to quit. They need to leave, they suck up all the air in the room, and since they're all being signed to picture-to-picture deals now it basically means that every single FOX X-Men movie that has them in it needs to justify their shortened contract. It prevents any real creative change or growth because at any time your three biggest stars could leave your main franchise, so any movie with them has to be the Charles and Erik and Mystique Show.

twistedmentat posted:

gently caress the film version of Rogue. All they knew about her is she can't touch people and is from the South. That's it.

To be fair that's the only consistent thing about the comics version of Rogue, and even the "is from the South" part comes and goes.

Rogue is an incredibly badly written character structurally speaking, where basically everything about her - from her powers to her conflicts beyond the "no sex" thing to even her accent are in constant, constant flux.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 8, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I listed that as ONE of the reasons why to do it, because they were several, and her identity is also a big part of why Kitty is an important character.

It's not just about knowing the material best, and calling it random when she's so important to the story this is based on is kind of ludicrous. I love Civil War the most out of any MCU movie, and it changes nearly everything about the source material, and yet, would anyone even THINK of doing any version of that story without Captain America or Iron Man both in it?

And again, you can have Wolverine in this thing and use Kitty. They made a very deliberate choice here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It probably doesn't even matter whether J-Law is in any more of these, since it sure seems like Disney is going to buy Fox and hit the reset button once everything not already in production is released

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Look, I just want to make it clear that while we’re arguing something somewhat similar, I am not throwing in with the guy who thinks she’s a token Jewish diversity pick. Just to be clear.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Nobody thinks Kitty Pryde is a token Jewish diversity pick. I think that's a weird thing to list on a list of reasons why she should've been the focus of the DOFP movie. I would've expected "she would be female lead" before "she's Jewish". I don't understand what Kitty's religion has to do with this particular movie story. I'm trying to remember X3 (which is sad) and I don't even recall if her being Jewish came up when she was flirting with Iceman.

Kitty is an important character to comics. She's next to nothing in the films. That is why they did not upgrade her to main character status just because they wanted to use a snappy title from the comics. Using both characters would be strange as well since they gave Kitty's connection to Logan to Rogue in the films. I'm honestly not even positive those characters have spoken to each other in the movies.

It just sounds forced for the sake of "staying true to the comics" or whatever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

She's next to nothing in the films because the movies have a hard time with character focus.

I also think it'd be nice to include her more prominently because the most visible Jewish character in these movies is the one who has, even in the ones widely regarded to be good, tried to kill a bunch of people.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

TFRazorsaw posted:

She's next to nothing in the films because the movies have a hard time with character focus.

I also think it'd be nice to include her more prominently because the most visible Jewish character in these movies is the one who has, even in the ones widely regarded to be good, tried to kill a bunch of people.

So your argument is they should have replaced Wolverine with Kitty because Magneto is too Jewish?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kitty has like a whole C-plot in X-Men 3, it's just completely forgettable and blandly portrayed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TFRazorsaw posted:

Has that even been brought up in the movies at all?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Honestly the one really bizarre thing to me is why comics Rogue is a popular character. I can explain to you why all the other "Teen girl meant to be an onboarding point for the X-Men for a new generation of comic book readers" characters are popular - Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, Dazzler, Jean Grey, Magik, probably X-23 - but, speaking as someone who likes Rogue, a LOT, I could not tell you why I like her.

Her accent, when it's in, loving sucks and makes her dialog nearly unreadable when they lean into how "Deep South" she is. I don't remember any memorable conflict or plotline involving Rogue. Her powers are badly explained and are balanced super poorly (and, unlike Jubilee, don't outright SUCK so she just can't get a bunch of crazy powers like how Jubilee became a loving vampire), so they fluctuate widely based on who is writing her. And either way, she's a mutant based off copying everyone else's powers, so on some level you're seeing everyone else's abilities again no matter what. Her romance with Gambit would easily be the worst romance in comics history if Scott and Jean Grey didn't exist, and whenever they're together the dialog becomes both incomprehensible and never goes anywhere. Gambit and Rogue have exactly one point of conflict - wanting to have sex with each other - and that combined with Gambit being a terrible loving character.

Basically everything about Rogue is inconsistently written and it's genuinely shocking to me that Rogue is popular. I can't even explain why she is - and, to be clear, I like her a lot too - and the only reason I can think she is is because I was a horny virgin when I first heard about her, and she's very relatable on that super base level.

But, yeah, movie Rogue is a loving wet fart. She has like no character or compelling character traits whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Has that even been brought up in the movies at all?

Erik has been introduced in multiple films being dragged out of an internment camp...so...yes...gonna say his being Jewish is kinda important in the films.

• Locked thread