Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

I'd assume they have to be using some special AP rounds, since subsonic means you can't rely on velocity to punch through.

Or their body armor threat is just soft pistol rated Kevlar.

Either way it's an odd choice.

That said I gotta stop being lazy and order some subsonic x39 for my suppressable AK to try out.

if it was softshell then I wouldn't think any AR ammo would have trouble defeating it, and if its plates they're worried about then isn't more velocity better?

I'm probably playing arm chair operator here too much but if they're worried about defeating body armor I'd think they'be be using non subsonic rounds. maybe they're straight up ninjas though i dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah I agree, it doesn't make much sense to me either.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i mean it could also be that the reporters are retarded

edit: or its intentional misdirection because they're using something different from 556/762 completely

PookBear fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 1, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can you hunt with silencers

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Depends on the state. Many allow it.

https://americansuppressorassociation.com/education/

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
H.R. 38, the reciprocity bill, was passed by the House today, 231 to 197. :toot: It's anyone's guess as to how it will fare in the Senate, though.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

well, poo poo

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nice, finally the GOP did something that isn't monstrously awful. It would be great if my WI CCW were valid in Illinois.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ct is super mad about it

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
the only good thing congress does this session is also the least important

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is there any national standard for concealed carry permit though? Because in Georgia all I did was pay 50 bucks for a background check and get fingerprinted.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

In blue counties of CA you need to sacrifice your firstborn with a blind ram's horn on a supermoon while covered in the menstrual blood of a male sasquatch.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

is there any national standard for concealed carry permit though? Because in Georgia all I did was pay 50 bucks for a background check and get fingerprinted.

In PA it’s $20 and a instant background check.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Nope - and I thought I read that this would allow residents of states where they don't need a permit to CCW (Alaska) to carry in all 50.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Those states would have to do something. Probably just an endorsement on a DL/state ID would do it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

In blue counties of CA you need to sacrifice your firstborn with a blind ram's horn on a supermoon while covered in the menstrual blood of a male sasquatch.

I got a buddy who got his permit in San Mateo County. But he's a fed so welp.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I got a buddy who got his permit in San Mateo County. But he's a fed so welp.

Yeah cops and feds will get them, they can also buy pistols that aren't on the registry.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ct is super mad about it
CT can get hosed. So can this slimy, lying piece of poo poo:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/938530129197793280

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

CT can get hosed. So can this slimy, lying piece of poo poo:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/938530129197793280

In my career as a violent criminal, I make sure to diligently follow all concealed carry laws of my current residence.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I've never understood the freak-out about concealed carry, except as an extension of "no one should have guns because they might get in a heated argument, flip out, and shoot someone."

The sort of people willing to go down to the courthouse, get fingerprinted by the Sheriff, pay a fee, and wait 30-60 business days before carrying a gun are not the people who, on average, you need to be worried about.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

People fear what they don't understand. If somebody is too lazy to bother learning about some thing, then they won't be able to make well-informed decisions regarding it. If you're a slimy, lying piece of poo poo, you can sow misinformation in an attempt to advance your own position. "Knowledge is power" isn't just some cheesy phrase seen on posters in your local library.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Dead Reckoning posted:

The sort of people willing to go down to the courthouse, get fingerprinted by the Sheriff, pay a fee, and wait 30-60 business days before carrying a gun are not the people who, on average, you need to be worried about.

"The average gun owner would not shoot indiscriminately into a crowd of people" is not an argument. No one gives a poo poo about the average gun owner. We care about the few outliers who kill enough people to justify a broad-based preventative policy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

at the date posted:

"The average gun owner would not shoot indiscriminately into a crowd of people" is not an argument. No one gives a poo poo about the average gun owner. We care about the few outliers who kill enough people to justify a broad-based preventative policy.

A number of people so small that a broad-based preventative policy is offensive.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
How many people do I need to slaughter to make a statistical meaningful argument that mass ban are worth it? 1000? 5000? 10k?

Because Mass bans aren't worth it

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

How many people do I need to slaughter to make a statistical meaningful argument that mass ban are worth it? 1000? 5000? 10k?

Whatever the number, it's more than 80,000.

You know, unless the cause of death is something that you don't personally care for, in which case one death is too many.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

at the date posted:

And we have various preventive policies, such as criminal background checks that also include past treatment in a mental hospital as a prohibition on firearms ownership. Many mass shooters have acquired their guns because of they:

1. Had no arrests or involuntary commitments due to mental illness or felonies (Anders Breivik and the Pulse and Las Vegas shooters) and thus were not prohibited possessors

2. Had someone else purchase their guns for them (the Columbine shooters), which is illegal

3. Stole their guns from someone else (Adam Lanza and just about every underage school shooter)

4. Were a prohibited possessor but poor reporting and enforcement of existing regulations allowed them to slip through the cracks (Dylann Roof and the Texas church shooter)

Additional broad legislation would do little or nothing to stop these shooters, as they either skipped around the laws entirely or were failed by flaws in the system. Many of the demands for legislation cover things that already exist, and there's no reason to believe that additional legislation is going to be enforced more than the laws already on the books.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Criminals just gonna crime so :effort:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I've never understood the freak-out about concealed carry, except as an extension of "no one should have guns because they might get in a heated argument, flip out, and shoot someone."

What are you talking about those are exactly the people that you need to be worried about because gun owners are retarded. There should be more to getting a concealed carry license than paying :10bux:. You should be required to know basic gun laws, shoot/don't shoot scenarios, basic gun safety, and pistol marksmanship to include drawing and firing from a holster.

I went to a gunshow once and a dude was selling a gun that happened to be loaded and someone blew their finger off. I never want to be around that many retards with guns again.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I too enjoy retarded, lazy strawmen.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

I went to a gunshow once and a dude was selling a gun that happened to be loaded and someone blew their finger off.

lmao

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

chitoryu12 posted:

And we have various preventive policies, such as criminal background checks that also include past treatment in a mental hospital as a prohibition on firearms ownership. Many mass shooters have acquired their guns because of they:

1. Had no arrests or involuntary commitments due to mental illness or felonies (Anders Breivik and the Pulse and Las Vegas shooters) and thus were not prohibited possessors

2. Had someone else purchase their guns for them (the Columbine shooters), which is illegal

3. Stole their guns from someone else (Adam Lanza and just about every underage school shooter)

4. Were a prohibited possessor but poor reporting and enforcement of existing regulations allowed them to slip through the cracks (Dylann Roof and the Texas church shooter)

Additional broad legislation would do little or nothing to stop these shooters, as they either skipped around the laws entirely or were failed by flaws in the system. Many of the demands for legislation cover things that already exist, and there's no reason to believe that additional legislation is going to be enforced more than the laws already on the books.

Pulse shitbag would've been a prohibited purchaser had his wife's parents not talked her out of pressing domestic violence charges, ideally leading to a conviction. But yeah, pretty much.

My favorite bit about straw purchasers and crime is the justice department has outright admitted they don't care to prosecute them because it's too much effort.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Imagine living in a state that requires a written and practical examination to get a driving license but the state next door just blanket gives everyone that pays :10bux:x5 a license and those people are allowed to drive in your state

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagine living in a state that requires a written and practical examination to get a driving license but the state next door just blanket gives everyone that pays :10bux:x5 a license and those people are allowed to drive in your state

Depending on where you live, your driving test can be pathetically easy. Some states even publish prep material that's copied and pasted from the exam so you can memorize everything by rote without even needing to cheat. I got a learner's permit by just taking a written exam and didn't need to spend one second behind the wheel to prove that I could actually drive, so as long as I had a licensed driver next to me I could peel out into interstate traffic halfway across the country.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

chitoryu12 posted:

Depending on where you live, your driving test can be pathetically easy. Some states even publish prep material that's copied and pasted from the exam so you can memorize everything by rote without even needing to cheat. I got a learner's permit by just taking a written exam and didn't need to spend one second behind the wheel to prove that I could actually drive, so as long as I had a licensed driver next to me I could peel out into interstate traffic halfway across the country.

that is an awful, stupid policy that should not be emulated. In fact it should probably be restructured so that such a glaring and obvious threat to our collective safety is eliminated.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Because Mass bans aren't worth it

How many CC permit holders do you think commit murder each year? :confused:

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Passing another law to make murder illegal isn't going to stop any murders. Direct efforts into poverty and mental health, where it will actually help.

What are you talking about those are exactly the people that you need to be worried about because gun owners are retarded. There should be more to getting a concealed carry license than paying :10bux:. You should be required to know basic gun laws, shoot/don't shoot scenarios, basic gun safety, and pistol marksmanship to include drawing and firing from a holster.

Both states I've gotten permits from had exactly that requirement, except one didn't have the holster bit.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 7, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

Passing another law to make murder illegal isn't going to stop any murders.
Of course it will, because then it'll be double illegal. That's, like, twice as bad.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

How many CC permit holders do you think commit murder each year? :confused:

Well I was being really sarcastic, but without cheating and looking at any statistics i'm going to guess that of the CC holders in the US, about 80 commit murder each year... and get caught :ninja:

Maybe like 12 of those are murders with firearms and 9 of those handguns

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Naked Bear posted:

Of course it will, because then it'll be double illegal. That's, like, twice as bad.

actually it makes it legal then

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZZTD3w_a5Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxOg00iocv0