Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What do people generally use for pinning if they want some thicker/more heavy duty than a paperclip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

What do people generally use for pinning if they want some thicker/more heavy duty than a paperclip?

I use brass rod if I need something more rubust than a paperclip.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

The Moon Monster posted:

Two paperclips? (Although I usually use guitar string of various gauges.)

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I guess if you really wanted something durable as hell you could sacrifice an old wire hanger.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just use some steel wire from a roll of it that you can find at any hardware, arts and crafts, or department store you loving nerds. It's like $3.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I'm in the process of painting my Gravis Captain from the Dark Imperium box and I am having so much fun with it. Really well designed: interesting and ornate without being over-designed.

He's gonna be my special boy!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He does look cool. Even if he has a 'roid belly.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I did something that I don't exactly recall ever doing, and that's prime some minis white. Now every time i pick up my almost complete mini I find another tiny speck of white hiding under some collar or belt and I'm completely regretting my decision.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Big McHuge posted:

I did something that I don't exactly recall ever doing, and that's prime some minis white. Now every time i pick up my almost complete mini I find another tiny speck of white hiding under some collar or belt and I'm completely regretting my decision.

Try priming white, then doing a heavy black wash. That can give you the best of both worlds sometimes.

Also, any of you nerds still using Xacto knives should really look into grabbing one of these:

Blades are super cheap, easy to replace, and precise enough for almost anything you're cutting. Anything a box cutter is too clumsy for, this guy will cut up real nice. Can be found at just about any hardware store, along with replacement blades, and you can get half a dozen for the price of a single Xacto blade.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I like my #16 Xacto blades too much to give them up.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Floppychop posted:

That's what I use, I love them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

#11 for lyfe, yo.

Signal posted:

Also, any of you nerds still using Xacto knives should really look into grabbing one of these:

Blades are super cheap, easy to replace, and precise enough for almost anything you're cutting. Anything a box cutter is too clumsy for, this guy will cut up real nice. Can be found at just about any hardware store, along with replacement blades, and you can get half a dozen for the price of a single Xacto blade.
I don't know - the old #11 is pretty versatile. I can use the back side to scrape seams, the tapering blade allows me to get into some pretty tight spots, I can use it as a primer for drilling/pinning, and I find the cutting edge to be far easier to control than a box cutter/utility knife, since I tend to cut using my thumb as a stop. Also, the last time I bought blades, I paid like $10 for 100, so it wasn't that big of an outlay of cash.

And I've never been able to get those drat cutter blades to snap off cleanly - they always shatter and take a few good sections with the bad.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Signal posted:

I use that thing for working with pink foam. #11 supremacy.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The Moon Monster posted:

What are you pinning that needs something stronger than a paperclip?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah this is a good question.

I used a medium sized nail recently for the flight stand for my wifes Tantalus, and that is more than enough there. Paperclips are generally good enough for all normal sized models/parts.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Cat Face Joe posted:

Brass rod is a great choice. It won't be as hard on your tools as a nail.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

dexefiend posted:

Brass rod is a great choice. It won't be as hard on your tools as a nail.

Also this. For the nail I used I cheated because it was exactly the right size, and I used the head of the nail to add extra strength by putting it through the bottom of a large oval base and gluing on both sides.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

https://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=348&art_id=2871

This is basically a life time supply.

Edit: That I bought 10 years ago and it appears to be out of stock. Grr.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 7, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm in the process of painting my Gravis Captain from the Dark Imperium box and I am having so much fun with it. Really well designed: interesting and ornate without being over-designed.

He's gonna be my special boy!

Are you ever going to use those bits I sent? I wanna see that Troll (and anything else you might make/paint with them).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Christmas came early. Scale75 set arrived. Only took 17 days not 60.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've used all sorts of blades. These are the only two I use anymore:

If you're using #11s do yourself a favor and upgrade to a large sized knife. The small chisels and blades cost the same as the larger ones, but break easier and get dull faster. #18 is the best tool I've used for chopping bits for conversions and removing major gates on models. #2 is large enough to hold with just your fingers and I don't even use it with the knife handle anymore. It's what I use to remove flash and mold lines. My 3rd most used tool are miniature files, which I use first before following up with the #2 blade.

The Moon Monster posted:

Unironically- larger paper clips

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

What are you pinning that needs more than a paper clip? Serious question, because it means the difference between "two paper clips" and "rebar".

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Pierzak posted:

What are you pinning that needs more than a paper clip? Serious question, because it means the difference between "two paper clips" and "rebar".

The only thing I've needed to double-paperclip was the arms on the penitent engine. If I do another one, I'm going right for brass rod.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BULBASAUR posted:

#2 is large enough to hold with just your fingers and I don't even use it with the knife handle anymore. It's what I use to remove flash and mold lines.

And that's why they call you Scarfinger.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid to put TOO much primer on my model, but it's semi-transparent in some places. Will paint stick to it just as well or should I dare to hit it again? It's Army Painter Alien Purple if that matters. It's not like it's bare plastic.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm afraid to put TOO much primer on my model, but it's semi-transparent in some places. Will paint stick to it just as well or should I dare to hit it again? It's Army Painter Alien Purple if that matters. It's not like it's bare plastic.

When I use army painter as primer for my reaper bones, sometimes bits of the underside are semi-transparent when I'm done. Sometimes I hit them with an extra shot of primer, sometimes I don't, I haven't noticed a difference either way :shrug:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's entirely possible I forgot I hit it with a wash and that's what the gray is from. :shobon:

Changing the topic, what's the best way to do snow on minis? I see a lot of basing tutorials, but not snow. I'm painting my Tyranids with dark purples and grays, and want it to look like they're eating up a snowy planet. I sort of did a snow effect on my Shadespire guys and it came out okay, but I'd like some professional-ish tips because I did it on my own. Sometimes it looks good, other times I think it just looks dirty.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Speaking of tools, is there a goon-recommended way of chopping stuff up for conversions? I think I heard you can use a jeweler’s saw, but I have no idea if they’re any good or if some are better than others.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A #18 bit and a miniature file are all you need.

Make a shallow pilot cut on either side of your bit, then push down hard to chop it off clean. File it flat and you're in business. Remember to face the flat chisel bit towards the side you want to be flat.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

OptimusWang posted:

Speaking of tools, is there a goon-recommended way of chopping stuff up for conversions? I think I heard you can use a jeweler’s saw, but I have no idea if they’re any good or if some are better than others.

I use this one, love it.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=37

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Are you ever going to use those bits I sent? I wanna see that Troll (and anything else you might make/paint with them).

I promise to you that I will. However, I want to get a bunch of 40k stuff done for Adepticon first. Primaris Marines and 8th ed. 40k have got me hankerin' for cool space mans. I hope you can understand.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nah, too heavy for my tastes when working out mold lines. I like the delicacy of the small knife.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've nearly finished the first unit for my new Death Guard army. I am hype.

The colours are a little too vibrant because of auto correction. I'm bad at taking photos.

My idea was to have a mix of earthy mud and Astrogranite stone areas on the bases both for visual appeal and to make them fit my tables. I'm not sure if I should swap out the Agrellan on their bases for Stirland Battlemire though.

To do:
Matt varnish and then apply gloss to wounds.
Get better at photography.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DiHK posted:

Nah, too heavy for my tastes when working out mold lines. I like the delicacy of the small knife.

For sure. That #18 is for chopping and getting straight cuts. I've tried to use it for mold lines and it's really bad. You want a #2 or #11 for those

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

OptimusWang posted:

I get a lot of use from my xacto razor saw and miter.

https://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X75320...7GARE7FHG3BGRVE

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

R0ckfish posted:

I did some stealers, took a while due to the busy end of semester but what can you do.

Some more bugs done!

Gerotoi
Nov 14, 2012

OptimusWang posted:

+1 to using a razor saw. I picked one up a little while back and it just slices through stuff. Jewellers saws tend to have a thicker blade, and their main point of doing curvy freehand cuts in sheet metal is probably gonna be more of a hassle for conversions.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Swann-Morton #3 Scalpel for life.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I've nearly finished the first unit for my new Death Guard army. I am hype.

The colours are a little too vibrant because of auto correction. I'm bad at taking photos.

My idea was to have a mix of earthy mud and Astrogranite stone areas on the bases both for visual appeal and to make them fit my tables. I'm not sure if I should swap out the Agrellan on their bases for Stirland Battlemire though.

To do:
Matt varnish and then apply gloss to wounds.
Get better at photography.

Love these little guys, but I think this is definitely a situation where the model would look better on a Goblin Green base.

I am big on black bases, but colored bases can work just fine. I think it blends in with the Nurglings a little too much in this case though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Luminaflare posted:

Swann-Morton #3 Scalpel for life.

Waaay too sharp for my liking. They'll slice off a finger and you won't even realize it until you've spilled half a pint of blood on the floor.