Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

pseudorandom name posted:

He perpetuates the stereotype that all Italians are polymath doctor multi-displine Olympic athlete archaeologists, which simultaneously downplays the achievements of all successful Italians and is hurtful towards Italians who aren't quite so successful (e.g. they're only doctor-kart champions or pro tennis-archeologists, etc.).

Holy gently caress, Mario is the renaissance man. Da loving Vinci. It all makes sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:nms:

After almost 2 years, the judge finally ordered that the police body cam be made public for the shooting of Daniel Shaver in Arizona. I've been hearing about the case for a while and wanted to see the video, and now I kinda wish I didn't. It is not gory at all, but its pretty disturbing.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/939014159726870530

Rigel fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 8, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Terebus posted:

Can someone tell me about how Mario is super racist?

I've did hear the new one's desert world is 90% Mexican stereotypes with a dash of Maya, Inca, Native American and Ancient Egyptian symbols all used because they're generic "desert" cultures.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah but in Nintendo's defense it's a pretty fun level

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rigel posted:

After almost 2 years, the judge finally ordered that the police body cam be made public for the shooting of Daniel Shaver in Arizona. I've been hearing about the case for a while and wanted to see the video, and now I kinda wish I didn't. It is not gory at all, but its pretty disturbing.

Jesus, that's loving brutal. Pointing a big gun at someone really messes with your head.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Great, now we also know why the judge released the video. The trial is over, not guilty on all charges.

edit: none of the other cops fired a shot, and most didn't even have their guns out. One other cop had a taser out expecting to use it if the guy had problems understanding directions.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Rigel posted:

This is unbelievable.

It's exactly what you'd expect an occupying military force to do with a subject populace in rebellion.

Where's the right wing militia?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

Great, now we also know why the judge released the video. The trial is over, not guilty on all charges.

edit: none of the other cops fired a shot, and most didn't even have their guns out. One other cop had a taser out expecting to use it if the guy had problems understanding directions.

Of course, because juries are instructed to ignore literally everything except for the split-second before the cop pulled the gun. So sure, he was begging for them not to shoot him and crawling on his hands and knees, following every order, but he flinched and so he dies.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

No, you see, they are kneeling because they don’t like the national anthem.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Of course, because juries are instructed to ignore literally everything except for the split-second before the cop pulled the gun. So sure, he was begging for them not to shoot him and crawling on his hands and knees, following every order, but he flinched and so he dies.

My first reaction is to say 'Are juries really that stupid?' and then I immediately answer my own question.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

axeil posted:

people taking software and breaking it over their knee is always impressive. it's why i enjoy watching speed runs.

hell, if someone could break/do crazy poo poo with excel i'd watch videos of that too.

Here’s a blog post explaining how to program Conway’s Game of Life in excel without using VBA or macros.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember, never ever call the cops.

quote:

Officers had been called to the scene after reports of a man pointing a rifle out a window. According to witnesses, Shaver had a pellet gun he used for his extermination business.
Brailsford's body camera showed Shaver on all fours, crawling toward officers and sobbing. He reached toward his waistband and Brailsford fired.

An internal investigation found Shaver may have been trying to pull up his pants.

Five other officers were in the hallway, but Brailsford was the only one who fired.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

His final "mistake" of pulling his shorts up while crying and crawling was also after the crazyass cop (who has since been fired obviously) ordered him to basically play a game of loving twister, and screamed at him that he would shoot him if he made too many mistakes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Just another bad apple

quote:

Mesa police fired Brailsford a few weeks later for performance issues, and also because the officer had "You're hosed" engraved on his rifle's dust cover. (Apparently, that hadn't been seen as a problem before the shooting.) He had been with the force almost three years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rigel posted:

Is there a chance of a retrial?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Unless the jury was literally bribed by the police, I don't think so. Guilty verdicts can be overturned and/or retried for all kinds of different reasons, but Not Guilty verdicts are almost always the end of the road.

Obviously the family can still sue for wrongful death, where the burden of proof is a bit lower, but I doubt that cop has assets.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Nope, but its a good thing prosecutors can't retry people found innocent.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

Obviously the family can still sue for wrongful death, where the burden of proof is a bit lower, but I doubt that cop has assets.

I'm sure the cop has immunity and the city would pay any damages. The cop won't have to pay a dime.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm sure the cop has immunity and the city would pay any damages. The cop won't have to pay a dime.

True, since he's not guilty, then as a cop on duty he's almost certainly immune from being sued and it would be the city that would have to pay. I assume they'll negotiate a settlement, I don't think the city wants to go through round two in civil court.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rigel posted:

What the gently caress ? And the shooter was just acquitted, Jesus gently caress. #ACAB

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

I have a tattoo of a glider I got back in college...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TOOT BOOT posted:

My first reaction is to say 'Are juries really that stupid?' and then I immediately answer my own question.

I'm trying to process their verdict. This isn't a question of intelligence.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ammanas posted:

This is unbelievable.

It's exactly what you'd expect an occupying military force to do with a subject populace in rebellion.

They're patting him on the back saying "Good shoot."

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rigel posted:

His final "mistake" of pulling his shorts up while crying and crawling was also after the crazyass cop (who has since been fired obviously) ordered him to basically play a game of loving twister, and screamed at him that he would shoot him if he made too many mistakes.

Unfortunately the cop's firing, or facing any real lasting consequences, isn't obvious. Far from it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I'm trying to process their verdict. This isn't a question of intelligence.

If all cops are trigger happy and get trained "kill or be killed" then a "reasonable officer" is afraid of death anytime anyone flinches or fails to comply fast enough.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

7c Nickel posted:

I've did hear the new one's desert world is 90% Mexican stereotypes with a dash of Maya, Inca, Native American and Ancient Egyptian symbols all used because they're generic "desert" cultures.

Article

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RandomBlue posted:

Unfortunately the cop's firing, or facing any real lasting consequences, isn't obvious. Far from it.

Edit: my emotional knee jerk response after seeing that video got the better of me.

To be a bit more measured: until the culture changes enough that hiring these rear end in a top hat becomes untenable (or, my preferred solution, the entire precinct goes down for conspiracy) the cops in America are the problem.

Too bad This, like so many of our problems, is unfixable.

BardoTheConsumer fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 8, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You know what the really cool part is, the killer cop's dad was a lieutenant in the department when he was hired. His dad did retire (now a lawyer) before the killing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ammanas posted:

This is unbelievable.

As someone who was part of an occupying military force I'm going to say no it isn't, we dealt with far far greater threats on a daily basis without treating people like that never mind killing them. I've seen a lot of really horrible poo poo and that video made me physically ill.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
All I’m thinking is that here in Sweden such a video would rock the foundations of the entire police force and probably cause a major political crisis, but in the USA it’s just Friday.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trabisnikof posted:

You know what the really cool part is, the killer cop's dad was a lieutenant in the department when he was hired. His dad did retire (now a lawyer) before the killing.

If I had a kid and I watched him grow up from a toddler to a teenager to an adult and then saw a video of him doing that I would go become a loving monk.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

All I’m thinking is that here in Sweden such a video would rock the foundations of the entire police force and probably cause a major political crisis, but in the USA it’s just Friday.

If someone had to choose between bankruptcy and getting a surgery they desperately need in Sweden it would probably cause a political crisis but in the US it's every day.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of Autism.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Charliegrs posted:

If someone had to choose between bankruptcy and getting a surgery they desperately need in Sweden it would probably cause a political crisis but in the US it's every day.

It absolutely would. No probably about it.

Man, America sucks, huh?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Man, America sucks, huh?

loving this. America is a garbage country. That's why we have a 1000+ page thread about the President of the United States, who is a racist misogynistic manchild who bragged about groping women on record and his party controls the whole thing.

Edit: 5400 pages. Good Lord.

highme
May 25, 2001

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Edit: 5400 pages. Good Lord.

Hi friend. Thank you for joining us.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Trump Thread II: It’s just ____day in the USA!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its actually the 2nd Trump thread so its more than that.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To the guy/girl who said horse people are garbage some pages back: here are some awesome pictures from New Orleans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

BigglesSWE posted:

Man, America sucks, huh?

Surprisingly enough, it's actually #1.

• Locked thread