Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Essobie posted:

I truly hate and love you fuckers. I just ordered a T300 when I have a perfectly suitable G27. drat you holiday sale.

This better be as life changing as you guys say it is.

At least the G27 holds value in case you think we were full of poo poo. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

peter gabriel posted:

Oh it's absolutely a better wheel, you did good imo. There is an adjustment curve though, that's all.
The brake mod thing though, well, you should get a brake mod in the box with the pedals if you get a set with the t3pa set, I know I did

The G27 pedals are honestly really good for the price point, so don't discount them, the Thrustmasters are as good but it's not black and white, plenty prefer the G27 / G25 / G29 / G290 set, Logitech sure as gently caress does :v:

I got the T300RS with out the clutch since I don't need it, it was 50 bucks cheaper, and would rather have brake/throttle perfectly centered around my wheelstand pro center pole. However, if I don't like the pedals that come with, I can get one of these and just keep using the G27 pedals (and maybe mod those).

Edit: /\/\/\/\ I don't think you guys are full of poo poo... which is why I pulled the trigger after hemming and hawing about it for the last couple of weeks while you guys hyped it up. If you prove to be full of poo poo, you are correct... I can probably recoup most of the cost.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Wreckfest is 50% off again. I had that on my wishlist forever, has development picked again after they were nearly gone?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Essobie posted:

I got the T300RS with out the clutch since I don't need it, it was 50 bucks cheaper, and would rather have brake/throttle perfectly centered around my wheelstand pro center pole. However, if I don't like the pedals that come with, I can get one of these and just keep using the G27 pedals (and maybe mod those).

Edit: /\/\/\/\ I don't think you guys are full of poo poo... which is why I pulled the trigger after hemming and hawing about it for the last couple of weeks while you guys hyped it up. If you prove to be full of poo poo, you are correct... I can probably recoup most of the cost.

You're not going to be disappointed or anything, from the moment you unbox it you'll know it's a much more substantial piece of kit, I love mine.

GhostDog posted:

Wreckfest is 50% off again. I had that on my wishlist forever, has development picked again after they were nearly gone?

Oooh I'll re install and let you know, last time I played was a few months ago and I think it had a couple of extra tracks, man that game feels so good

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Another thing no one has mentioned. The Alcantara Rim is larger than the G27 rim and much better feeling

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Norns posted:

Another thing no one has mentioned. The Alcantara Rim is larger than the G27 rim and much better feeling

Yeah, I actually was going to get that set instead, but they were out of stock at the 300 price point. Plus, I see myself getting an F1 rim at some point in the future anyway.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Essobie posted:

Yeah, I actually was going to get that set instead, but they were out of stock at the 300 price point. Plus, I see myself getting an F1 rim at some point in the future anyway.

You can always pick up the Alcantara GT rim in the future. They sell it separately but it costs a fair bit. They're the Thrustmaster 599XX EVO 30 rim.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 7, 2017

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

GhostDog posted:

No. Actually they usually release an update during sales.

They kind of went dark after getting with thq.

It's pretty barebones right now. I'd hold off

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

Agreed, I do also really like the smaller rim for stuff like Grid oddly, anything arcadey really

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ergonomics wise. Do you chaps like the formulas style sitting position, the normal passenger car position, or the touring/rally/nascar car position which is upright with the steering wheel right up close ?

The formula style would allow for better twitchyness, passenger car style whatever. Touring/nascar style is going to allow for more strength for sawing the wheel. Probably less fatigue on longer races.

About to build a cockpit now that my VR is up and running. Trying to decide which to do.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Y'all making me envious, wish I had space for proper setup but my living room already has bike trainer setup and adding racing cockpit would be big no-no... So I just have to move the wheel in front of me (clamped to the corner of the table when I don't use it), lower my office chair, pull pedals to the right place (got a little slat zip tied to my carpet that keeps them in place), pull my ultrawide monitor closer and good to go.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Fanatec today is auctioning off a set of CSP V3 in it's advent auction.

They auctioned the inverted one earlier this week, and it went for something like 100 EUR instead of 560 EUR.

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-de/auction/product;aproduct_id;867

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jonathan posted:

Ergonomics wise. Do you chaps like the formulas style sitting position, the normal passenger car position, or the touring/rally/nascar car position which is upright with the steering wheel right up close ?

The formula style would allow for better twitchyness, passenger car style whatever. Touring/nascar style is going to allow for more strength for sawing the wheel. Probably less fatigue on longer races.

About to build a cockpit now that my VR is up and running. Trying to decide which to do.

I based my build off the measurements of my actual car (2008 G35x), then made them a bit more aggressive, seat lower, pedals higher, relative to each other, steering wheel a bit lower.

My primary concern was comfort first. I didn’t want to get sore after 20 minutes, and not being an automotive ergonomics expert, I figured I may as well start with a known good design.

It worked well, and my recommendation is to build for comfort first and performance second. You can go fast sitting upright or laid back, but you might only be comfortable in one of those positions

The other thing I did was use a seat out of an actual car, rather than a race seat. My seat is out of a Saturn L200, and is far from sporty looking, but can be sat in for hours on end and is adjustable back, forward, up, down and reclines.

Real race seats tend to be heavily bolstered and lightly padded. Their first job is to stop you from getting thrown around, which is just not going to happen in a sim cockpit. Comfort is usually further down the list, where it should be top of your list.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 7, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jonathan posted:

There was a really good thing I found for this when I was building mine, with general rules of thumb like how high the seat should be above the pedals, where the wheel rim should be in relation to your chin, etc but I can't find it for the life of me now.

I built mine to that and it's like a normal car with a comfy driving position. Seat is on a slider so I can adjust how far I am from the wheel and from the pedals independently (wheel is clamped to my desk, cockpit with pedals is mounted on wood on casters). It was kind of silly having to build the cockpit to fit my desk and monitors this way based on their height, but it all worked out how I wanted it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 7, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

jonathan posted:

I built mine so it's a similar position like in an LMP1 car, so I can feel like I am a true racing hero and not the whimpy fool I am

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jonathan posted:

Mine is kinda halfway in between and the wheel position is adjustable, so I can slouch for f1 posture or sit totally upright for GT / Rally. Best of both worlds, although neither is exactly perfectly accurate.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Mine is kinda halfway in between and the wheel position is adjustable, so I can slouch for f1 posture or sit totally upright for GT / Rally. Best of both worlds, although neither is exactly perfectly accurate.

:same:

GT style setup, with the pedals elevated ca. 30 cm, seat moved forward, tilted back and with a little wedge on the seat to get the rear end down/knees higher, and the wheel close enough I can simply rub my nose on the shiftlights once it itches.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I have the PVC setup but actually it gets pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly. I think I need to raise the seat or something but idk.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

jonathan posted:

I'm looking at these

https://www.box.co.uk/Next-Level-Ra...qxoCC20QAvD_BwE

As they are designed to do both, but I dunno, still a way to go sorting out my house before I tackle it properly

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
iracing rally cross is :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzvJYfAziok&t=498s

I might have to re sub

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the seating suggestions. I think I will go the gt/nascar route with the wheel on the closer side.

I'll be using a factory seat from my wildcat 1000x which is pretty comfy while still somewhat sporty. I also might go with our company logo and colours for the colour scheme. We own an indycar team in real life so I'll be able to get some stickers and such to make it look neat.

Edit: lol "we" being my boss owns an indy team. I don't own poo poo.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 8, 2017

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If anyone's interested in getting in on iRacing for the rallycross FotM it's $5 for 3 months for new subs atm, code is PR-GRC

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I found locally what the seller says is a new in box T300RS for $150. I feel like this is too good to pass on.

There isn’t anything weird like a first revision or something that I need to watch out for?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I found locally what the seller says is a new in box T300RS for $150. I feel like this is too good to pass on.

There isn’t anything weird like a first revision or something that I need to watch out for?

Nope, but if it says new in box and it looks like the box has been hosed with its not new in box.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Some people don't realize that wheels tend to hold value pretty well

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I was looking on eBay and I can still get $50-$100 for my DFGT which is crazy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sorrrrt of.
The early ones overheated sometimes and Thrusmaster fixed it by adding some more vents and also updating the firmware to enable the internal fan to be on all the time.
When they do overheat you generally get a lack of force feedback, they won't burst into flames like an Eastern Bloc direct drive wheel or anything

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

Sorrrrt of.
The early ones overheated sometimes and Thrusmaster fixed it by adding some more vents and also updating the firmware to enable the internal fan to be on all the time.
When they do overheat you generally get a lack of force feedback, they won't burst into flames like an Eastern Bloc direct drive wheel or anything

Good to know, do you know if there is a visual way to tell the difference? Is there a pic comparing the vents? I’d like to know which revision I’m looking at when I go see it.

E: seller says he got the wheel free for ordering some monitor from Newegg two months ago, so it should be a newer model I’d guess, but it would still be nice to tell.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Good to know, do you know if there is a visual way to tell the difference? Is there a pic comparing the vents? I’d like to know which revision I’m looking at when I go see it.

E: seller says he got the wheel free for ordering some monitor from Newegg two months ago, so it should be a newer model I’d guess, but it would still be nice to tell.

I don't sorry, it's just something I heard about while researching which wheel to buy, finding opinions on forums etc and the ones from a few years ago had people complaining and posts with stuff like this in them

For what it's worth the vents there look the same as mine (apart from the hacked in holes ofc) and thinking back maybe they changed the actual fans, something was up for sure. I think the firmware update helped a lot of people though on its own

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welp, snagged a still factory sealed T300RS for $150, not a bad deal.

:rip: my Driving Force GT, you were a good-rear end wheel to get started in racing with :patriot:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Welp, snagged a still factory sealed T300RS for $150, not a bad deal.

Insanely good price, well done

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The TS-PC is currently $349 at BH, only $50 more than what they're selling the T300 Alcantara for. Anyone have one? Is it worth that much more?

Edit: I guess I should add that I have a set of Clubsport V3s, so that the T300 comes with pedals is irrelevant to me. Actually, not having to find something to do with pedals I don't need is a point in the TS-PC's favor I guess.

Theris fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 9, 2017

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Thrustmaster sure has bad reviews on amazone tho

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah there are a ton of reviews on amazon for people with dead t300’s. The overall rating is still good so they must be in the minority?

Is there an actual known issue out there or are these just random unlucky people?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Check the dates on the reviews with dead ones. Supposedly early production ones didn't have sufficient cooling and tended to die as a result. Later ones have more vents and a different fan curve.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You can also force the fan to run while the wheel is powered, if you hold down the MODE and ST buttons it will put it into "Forced" cooling mode instead of "Automatic". To turn it back, do the same thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, the T300 is pretty amazing. Coming from a Driving Force GT, its night and day.

I mainly play GT Sport, and its crazy how much more you can feel on the T300. You can tell when you're up on the sidewalls, which is something I didn't even know GT Sport simulated until I could feel it through the wheel. The DFGT couldn't resolve that level of detail, apparently.

I haven't beaten any of my DFGT times yet, but I think that's mostly due to getting used to the brakes, which are obviously different feeling between the two.

I'm very impressed, absolutely worth the money.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
In case you missed it, PRC is gone. Either they got threatened legally or someone at SMS convinced him that it is indeed a conflict of interest to bash sim racing games if you work for a developer of sim racing games. I would bet on the former, no way he doesn't still believe that he's totally able to divorce his personal opinion from his work relationship.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think people were sending angry emails to SMS. Though, the douchebag that runs Project Cars probably deserves every lovely email he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I didn't know what you were talking about, so I Googled "PRC SMS Sim racing" and found several articles viewable via Amp.

The only one I bothered to read was this one, wherein he bases a lengthy article on a complete misunderstanding of how elo/iRating works. That told me all I need to know about him, I think.