Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Rigel posted:

:nms:

After almost 2 years, the judge finally ordered that the police body cam be made public for the shooting of Daniel Shaver in Arizona. I've been hearing about the case for a while and wanted to see the video, and now I kinda wish I didn't. It is not gory at all, but its pretty disturbing.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/939014159726870530

The most disgusting thing I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Pakled posted:

Jesus, that's loving brutal. Pointing a big gun at someone really messes with your head.

Being on the business end of any firearm is a terrifying experience, regardless of size. Knives are pretty damned unpleasant too, in my experience.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Trabisnikof posted:

If all cops are trigger happy and get trained "kill or be killed" then a "reasonable officer" is afraid of death anytime anyone flinches or fails to comply fast enough.

The sheer fact that this guy was not ordered to get face down on the ground and spread high and low while the wealth of officers in that hallway approached and detained him...

...oh hey, Maricopa County. Why am I not surprised.

I guess the lesson to be learned is that if you're going to bring a gun into a hotel room, you'd better be springing for the corner suite in a non-budget hotel. Then the staff looks the other way.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 8, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Trabisnikof posted:

Just another bad apple

I do not advocate violence against the police, but this is a travesty of justice.

In every respect, this man's death is on the hands of that officer. Every step that could have been taken to avoid it, the officer instead chose to escalate the situation, then fired once he has psyched himself up to a fever pitch of fear.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Charliegrs posted:

If someone had to choose between bankruptcy and getting a surgery they desperately need in Sweden it would probably cause a political crisis but in the US it's every day.

I just had the insurance for my son deny two ER visits 3 months after the fact. Visits that were made because the strong prescription anti-nausea med we gave him wouldn't stop his vomiting due to migraines (at the time we thought they may have been seizure related as he has epilepsy among other things) and the ER even put him on a saline IV in one if not both of those visits. One of the visits he'd vomited 25 times before it was finally controlled, which dehydrates him and puts him at risk of other issues given his multiple serious conditions.

So now we get to appeal this and wonder whether we're going to get some huge 10-30k bill from the hospital if we can't get the insurer to pay. Beyond that we get to play bankruptcy roulette when we take him to the ER in the future.

Before he started having migraines this year (what it was eventually diagnosed as) he rarely ever went to the ER. Think the last two visits before this poo poo was cut on the scalp requiring staples and medicine side-effect induced hallucinations.

These fuckers don't even have a number we could call to pre-approve an ER visit that they can deny for whatever reason they feel like apparently. Can't wait for a trip for seizure activity where we need an MRI or CAT scan and they decide it wasn't necessary and send us to debtor's prison.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

7c Nickel posted:

I've did hear the new one's desert world is 90% Mexican stereotypes with a dash of Maya, Inca, Native American and Ancient Egyptian symbols all used because they're generic "desert" cultures.

It's a game where Mario literally appropriates other living beings.
Mario games in general are all about animal abuse.
It's a very ethically challenged video game franchise.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

I don't even think it's made by real Italians.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

RandomBlue posted:

I just had the insurance for my son deny two ER visits 3 months after the fact. Visits that were made because the strong prescription anti-nausea med we gave him wouldn't stop his vomiting due to migraines (at the time we thought they may have been seizure related as he has epilepsy among other things) and the ER even put him on a saline IV in one if not both of those visits. One of the visits he'd vomited 25 times before it was finally controlled, which dehydrates him and puts him at risk of other issues given his multiple serious conditions.

So now we get to appeal this and wonder whether we're going to get some huge 10-30k bill from the hospital if we can't get the insurer to pay. Beyond that we get to play bankruptcy roulette when we take him to the ER in the future.

Before he started having migraines this year (what it was eventually diagnosed as) he rarely ever went to the ER. Think the last two visits before this poo poo was cut on the scalp requiring staples and medicine side-effect induced hallucinations.

These fuckers don't even have a number we could call to pre-approve an ER visit that they can deny for whatever reason they feel like apparently. Can't wait for a trip for seizure activity where we need an MRI or CAT scan and they decide it wasn't necessary and send us to debtor's prison.

I have no idea about your situation, am not a doctor, and am probably the least qualified person to talk about anything medical. That said, my girlfriend used to get 16 hour vomiting migraine fests at least once a month. They finally put her on Imitrex which she takes when she feels one coming on. Literal wonder drug, I haven't had to haul her into the ER in over a year.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I just don't really understand why South Carolina is the place where police officers have been convicted lately. Out of all the places, it strikes me odd. Both caught on camera, but I believe the best part is that the State Law Enforcement Division in SC, "SLED", does investigate all officer involved shootings.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/07/us/michael-slager-sentencing/index.html

quote:

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN)Michael Slager, the former South Carolina police officer who shot and killed Walter Scott, was sentenced Thursday to 20 years in federal prison, a decision the Scott family said gave it a "sense of justice."

"This is an historic day for civil rights, in particular for officer-involved shootings," said Chris Stewart, one of the Scott family's attorneys, at a press conference following the sentencing.
US District Court Judge David Norton made his decision after hearing emotional statements from members of both families. Norton earlier Thursday had said the "appropriate underlying offense" for Slager, who is white, was second-degree murder.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article167275827.html

quote:

COLUMBIA, SC
A former South Carolina state trooper who shot an unarmed motorist in 2014 was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Tuesday, but is expected to serve around three years behind the fence.

Sean Groubert pleaded guilty in March 2016 to assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. More than a year later, Circuit Judge Casey Manning handed him a 12-year sentence, suspended to five years with three years probation.

Because Groubert has spent the last 17 months in jail, that time will be applied to the five years he’s required to serve in prison. Once Groubert serves the five years, he will remain on probation for three years. Should he violate the terms of his probation, he would have to serve the remaining time of the 12 years, Manning said.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

I just don't really understand why South Carolina is the place where police officers have been convicted lately. Out of all the places, it strikes me odd. Both caught on camera, but I believe the best part is that the State Law Enforcement Division in SC, "SLED", does investigate all officer involved shootings.

Someone video taped him execute a man who was running away from him in terror.

Hard to beat that rap and he shoulda got a life sentence.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

SC averages about 40 officer-involved shootings a year, so a couple prosecutions is likely barely scraping the barrel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah, it's that most officer involved shootings in SC are pursued by SLED, which is an independent state level law enforcement body.It's a good model that other states should emulate.

(Note: this does not mean SC has solved this problem just that it's marginally better. Note that the prosecutor initially tried Slager for murder and could not get a conviction).

Liquid Communism posted:

SC averages about 40 officer-involved shootings a year, so a couple prosecutions is likely barely scraping the barrel.

Still two better than most places have managed!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 8, 2017

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Seems very much like they discovered the concept of "Offer up some sacrificial lambs so it at least looks like we're doing something"

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

RandomBlue posted:

I don't want to be "that guy" but have you tried medical cannabis? Vomiting, epilepsy, and migraines all scream mmj to me.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Martian posted:

To the guy/girl who said horse people are garbage some pages back: here are some awesome pictures from New Orleans.

These are some sweet photos, is there anywhere one can read about the context of 'em? (ie. Why having horses has become such a thing there? Being non-american, I'll happily confess I know perhaps too little about the New Orleans area.)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Someone video taped him execute a man who was running away from him in terror.

Hard to beat that rap and he shoulda got a life sentence.

I don't think 20 years for killing a dude is very light, nor is 12 years for injuring another one.

Literally no cop looks at a 20 year sentence and goes "man got off easy, I fear no repercussion". Certainty of conviction is way better deterrent than severity of it.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Inepta Lacerta posted:

These are some sweet photos, is there anywhere one can read about the context of 'em? (ie. Why having horses has become such a thing there? Being non-american, I'll happily confess I know perhaps too little about the New Orleans area.)

click

I'm not American either, I just saw one of the photos on WeTransfer, thought it was great and went looking for more.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

If someone had to choose between bankruptcy and getting a surgery they desperately need in Sweden it would probably cause a political crisis but in the US it's every day.

Technically the government would pay for the operation and they'd not even cause a crisis

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

I don't think 20 years for killing a dude is very light, nor is 12 years for injuring another one.

Literally no cop looks at a 20 year sentence and goes "man got off easy, I fear no repercussion". Certainty of conviction is way better deterrent than severity of it.

For murdering someone in cold blood, as an abuse of their granted public authority? Yeah, it's light. A non-police CCW holder would likely be eating a lot more, and definitely wouldn't be looking at a suspended sentence and probation as any part of a plea deal.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

yeah, no cop, which is sorta the loving point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Don't forget the fact that ex-cops generally get better treatment in prison, and can be segregated into safer environs because of likely reprisal - *especially* in this guy's case.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think Vahakyla meant "not very light compared to what they usually get"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Liquid Communism posted:

For murdering someone in cold blood, as an abuse of their granted public authority? Yeah, it's light. A non-police CCW holder would likely be eating a lot more, and definitely wouldn't be looking at a suspended sentence and probation as any part of a plea deal.

Relative to precedented sentencing in the US it's definitely light, but I expect that for many non-Americans it comes off as rather extreme. Some places would consider a life sentence cruel and unusual after all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

Is it really dumb if he sort of gets a thing he wants and causes Donnie to get most of the blame?

yeah because we shouldn't be helping gently caress up the middle east. i hop ehe get primaried.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/939119705670995969

is it fair to still call it drip, drip, drip when it's the Niagara Falls?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Martian posted:

click

I'm not American either, I just saw one of the photos on WeTransfer, thought it was great and went looking for more.

Cheers, and sweet catch. Completely agree with you. :)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

I think Vahakyla meant "not very light compared to what they usually get"

I know what he meant and I'm allowed to think he didn't get what he deserved, which was life in prison for first degree murder.

I don't take particular comfort that an officer of the law executed a man and only get 20 years in prison for 2nd degree. Is it more than cops usually get? Yes. Most cops aren't caught on camera, talking to a man in a deserted lot, then draw their guns and tell the man to run and then execute the guy.

That mother-fucker MURDERED somebody and it was caught on camera. And I don't mean the usual cop murders civilian situations, where they killed a person because training with their body cam/dash cam on. That's egregious too, and I don't want to downplay it, but this cop literally loving murdered a guy and a hidden 3rd party got the whole thing on tape.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 8, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't forget the fact that ex-cops generally get better treatment in prison, and can be segregated into safer environs because of likely reprisal - *especially* in this guy's case.

Extra-judicial punishment is hosed up but for cops I'll make an exception. Throw em in gen pop and tattoo "this cop murdered someone in cold blood" and see how long they last. He showed he has no respect for human life, why should we have any respect for his?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

I know what he meant and I'm allowed to think he didn't get what he deserved, which was life in prison for first degree murder.

I don't take particular comfort that an officer of the law executed a man and only get 20 years in prison for 2nd degree. Is it more than cops usually get? Yes. Most cops aren't caught on camera, talking to a man in a deserted lot, then draw their guns and tell the man to run and then execute the guy.

That mother-fucker MURDERED somebody and it was caught on camera. And I don't mean the usual cop murders civilian situations, where they were just doing their jobs and killed a person because training. That's egregious too, and I don't want to downplay it, but this cop literally loving murdered a guy.

It's not quite on par what a non-cop would get, but 20 year sentence isn't light in any civilized country, and life in prison is cruel and unusual in any sane place.
20 years is a loving eternity, and this kind of bloodlust is loving weird. Justice should be progressive for everyone, and lenient, and cops shouldn't get preferential treatment over others, but for gently caress's sake get some perspective on 20 years in an american prison.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

It's not quite on par what a non-cop would get, but 20 year sentence isn't light in any civilized country, and life in prison is cruel and unusual in any sane place.
20 years is a loving eternity, and this kind of bloodlust is loving weird. Justice should be progressive for everyone, and lenient, and cops shouldn't get preferential treatment over others, but for gently caress's sake get some perspective on 20 years in an american prison.

When we're Norway and we don't actually have a punishment harsher than 20 years in prison, I'll walk this poo poo back, but brothers get put up for life every fuckin' day in the land of the free for less, with less evidence.

Again, I don't take comfort in knowing 20 years is a lot, when I know that a black civilian male would be executed if he was the defendant in this case.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

axeil posted:

Extra-judicial punishment is hosed up but for cops I'll make an exception. Throw em in gen pop and tattoo "this cop murdered someone in cold blood" and see how long they last. He showed he has no respect for human life, why should we have any respect for his?

So we're back to eye for an eye then?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Speaking of Franken and mental gymnastics:

LOL at "What happened to popular vote" because Hillary won the election.

When this trump nightmare is over, someone needs to cobble together all of his tweets in a way that basically has him arguing against himself, then sprinkle in poo poo like this; Hannitty and RWM etc as a running commentary. I think it'd be fascinating

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Just sent Doug Jones $25, gently caress Roy Moore and the underage horse he rode in on.

Even if Jones loses I would rather say I made a tangible effort to help beat him.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

canepazzo posted:

:cripes:

One of the responses is "can they really be that stupid?". I feel that answering it with a "Well, duh!" might be too harsh because holy poo poo is the whole family filled with loving idiots but the passage of time only further expands on how godawfully loving stupid they truly are and how money is the only thing that has kept them failing upwards.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wark Say posted:

One of the responses is "can they really be that stupid?". I feel that answering it with a "Well, duh!" might be too harsh because holy poo poo is the whole family filled with loving idiots but the passage of time only further expands on how godawfully loving stupid they truly are and how money is the only thing that has kept them failing upwards.

Ivanka being of average intelligence was all that was required for those stupid op-eds that she was some sort of super genius behind the scenes.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Can we loving call it collusion yet? Because that's what it loving was.

These stories keep dropping. These things keep happening. More and more of what happened is revealed and yet still our idiot media goes "Well, what if..." loving NO. They did it. They worked with a foreign power to steal an American election.

And if I ever hear anyone call Julian Assange a hero again I will loving shiv them with a broken bottle.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Can't really call them stupid until actual indictions (if ever) fly. So far, they're getting away with it.

Alter Ego posted:

Can we loving call it collusion yet? Because that's what it loving was.

These stories keep dropping. These things keep happening. More and more of what happened is revealed and yet still our idiot media goes "Well, what if..." loving NO. They did it. They worked with a foreign power to steal an American election.

And if I ever hear anyone call Julian Assange a hero again I will loving shiv them with a broken bottle.

The problem is this:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/939106274549075970

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Rigel posted:

:nms:

After almost 2 years, the judge finally ordered that the police body cam be made public for the shooting of Daniel Shaver in Arizona. I've been hearing about the case for a while and wanted to see the video, and now I kinda wish I didn't. It is not gory at all, but its pretty disturbing.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/939014159726870530

Autistic cop trying to play army man just like they do in the call of dootys! 90% of his SWAT training probably consisted of how to put on his tactical vest the right way, and shoelace verification for optimal tying to prevent falls during breach and clearing of motel rooms.

"KEYCARD! KEYCARD!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If they get away with it, it won't be because of anything smart they did. It will be because we have a political party that is so off the rails they are pushing a pedophile in order to make sure they have enough votes to crash the economy and throw people off healthcare, but in a way that will make sure people that have more money than they will spend in a thousand lifetimes have some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That was like watching somebody commit horrid murder and then struggle with putting in a USB stick seven times

• Locked thread