Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

canyoneer posted:

Could be worse, they could have used plaster of paris.

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

canyoneer posted:

Could be worse, they could have used plaster of paris.

I haven't used plaster of paris since I was a kid, but wouldn't it have similar results?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

wikipedia posted:

The chemical reaction that occurs when plaster is mixed with water is exothermic. When plaster sets, it can reach temperatures of more than 60 °C and, in large volumes, can burn the skin. In January 2007, a secondary school student in Lincolnshire, England sustained third-degree burns after encasing her hands in a bucket of plaster as part of a school art project. The burns were so severe she required amputation of both her thumbs and six of her fingers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Do not do a google image search for that, trust me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"60 degrees sounds downright pleasant!"
*converts to God's Chosen Temp fahrenheit
"Oh no!"

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Samovar posted:

Examples of him turning his own supporters against him?

At one point during the lead up to the plebiscite, he stated that children of gay couples are a stolen generation. The Stolen Generation is one of the worst abuses of the Indigenous Australian population where children were seperated from their families so that they could be made more white.
So when he made this statement and stated that a shitload of Australian churches were on his side, the vast majority of the ones that he stated were on his side publicly stated that they supported SSM and that they had never stated to Shelton that they supported him.

You know, sorta like what's happening with Roy Moore where he forged letters of support.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

"60 degrees sounds downright pleasant!"
*converts to God's Chosen Temp fahrenheit
"Oh no!"

You hosed up

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

If you haven't seen the patreon charging changes yet, they're going to start charging pledgers 2.5% + 35 cents PER PLEDGE, meaning if you're like a lot of people who pledge on patreon you do a lot of $1-5 pledges each month. Each of those gets charged that service fee in this change. Twitter is currently making GBS threads all over this news

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well you know they gotta keep those tubes unclogged

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

They timed this right as competitors like drip are starting up

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it'd be pretty funny if they hosed up their gravy train of doing basically nothing for the sake of greed

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

smh if you're waiting for the apocalypse

People always get this wrong because if it's an actual biblical apocalypse it takes for-loving-ever, you're not allowed to die and it's kind of poorly written.

Like Game of Thrones

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

AlmightyBob posted:

They timed this right as competitors like drip are starting up

It was discussed on the ICT, but I'm not convinced that drip is anything but one of those "we're taking on Facebook" things you hear every once in a while, with the likely fate of every one of those "we're taking on YouTube" things you hear about.

The schadenfreude for content creators, my guess is, is that most people are tied into Patreon as their crowdfunding site, and will care a whole hell of a lot less than the Twitter crowd will.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I follow and support some artists, and a youtuber (Dan Hardcastle, otherwise known as NerdCubed.) All of them that I check their twitter, they're just as peeved about this. Since, as mentioned, a lot of folk back at the $1-5 level. They're not much individually, but they add up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Basically patreon is doing 2 things. they're moving the Credit Card processing fee to the patrons, rather than taking it out of the cut that the artists get. and they're making it so rather than getting a single lump sum charge at the end of the month for all of the accounts you're patroning, they charge you individually for each on the anniversary of your subscription. With just the first change, it wouldn't be that bad, but with both changes it increases the cost to patrons by 30% and increases Patreons take by over 100%.

They're trying to spin this as a good thing to both the creators and patrons.

No one's having any of it and hundreds of people are unsubscribing, lots of people are losing tons of income.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kurieg posted:

Basically patreon is doing 2 things. they're moving the Credit Card processing fee to the patrons, rather than taking it out of the cut that the artists get.

Patreon can call it a “credit card processing fee” but it’s really not.

Patreon batches their charges. Visa or whoever isn’t actually charging Patreon 35¢ per subscription because they’re not running them as separate transactions.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Testekill posted:

Stolen Generation

Seriously, does every single former British Colony have a period of time like this? Where the natives weren't white enough so they were forced to be white? Because the same poo poo happened in Canada with the First Nations folks and residential schools and only now are they getting a sniff of reparations after another ole British standby, a Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

As bad as things are now when it comes to minorities being persecuted, we were absolute loving monsters back in the 50s right up until the 80s.

And those are the days that a certain subset of individuals pine for on a daily basis. Fuuucccckkkk them.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Scandinavia too

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

acejackson42 posted:

And those are the days that a certain subset of individuals pine for on a daily basis. Fuuucccckkkk them.

People remember those days as "Leave it to Beaver". The rest is easy to shut out and just not think about

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Soiled Meat

Sarcopenia posted:

Scandinavia too

Elaborate please?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

acejackson42 posted:

As bad as things are now when it comes to minorities being persecuted, we were absolute loving monsters back in the 50s right up until the 80s.

By "the 50s" you're referring to 1550 right? Because British colonialism was the loving Olympics of atrocities right from the start.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Karate Bastard posted:

Elaborate please?

The Sami in Finland/Norway/Sweden and the Inuit in Greenland (under Danish dominion) were subjected to much the same attempts at eradicating their culture.

See for instance:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegianization

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Karate Bastard posted:

Elaborate please?

About 70 years ago Denmark shipped a couple of native kids from Greenland to Denmark for an experiment with the intended goal of eradicating the population of their culture and language so the entire population could blend into Danish society. They didn't take it any further because the kids got hosed up and half of them died really young. It's not large scaled but it's still there and we only just apologized a like 2 of years ago.
And I haven't heard a lot of good things about the way the Sami people have been treated in that regard either.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

Patreon batches their charges. Visa or whoever isn’t actually charging Patreon 35¢ per subscription because they’re not running them as separate transactions.

Yeah I've seen a whole bunch of people just peace out of all artist support on Patreon in the last 18 hours.

Geese that lay golden eggs have tons of them inside if you cut them open, right?

edit: twitter thread on a theory of what's going on

https://twitter.com/cwbuecheler/status/938787629738397696

Memento has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Dec 8, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://giant.gfycat.com/HardDishonestGnat.mp4

cnut
May 3, 2016

Strong like bull.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

This is probably one of the Chinese VW knockoffs to make it even more schadenfreudy. A Great Wall "X9845n4tfd" or something of the sort.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sarcopenia posted:

Scandinavia too

China’s doing the same kind of stuff right this very day to the Tibetans and the Uighurs in western China, but they get reeeeeeal butthurt if you point out the similarities.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Known Lecher posted:

China’s doing the same kind of stuff right this very day to the Tibetans and the Uighurs in western China, but they get reeeeeeal butthurt if you point out the similarities.

You have injured the feelings of the Chinese people

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Known Lecher posted:

I visited Tibet a few years ago and it's true. The genocide seems mostly to have stopped, now they're eradicating the culture. Big new museum on 'Chinese-Tibetan History' in the middle of Lhasa full of alternative history painting China as long time allies of the Tibetan people. Beyond that, Tibetan youth now prefer Szechuan food to Tibetan, eat with Chinese utensils, and so on. It's absolutely akin to what happened in the US and I assume other parts of the world.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/RrNZrDb.gifv

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

omfg

her little "oh whoops i'm fine" gesture as she stumbles, before she realizes what she's done

his desperate thrashing

i want to die

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That would have lots of genuine entertainment value as a sport

Hunting the wily skier

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I was hoping that as he was flopping around in the snow another competitor would pass by and win.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

That is a Chad rear end pool party.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

cnut posted:

Strong like bull.

*gives u wings*

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

cnut posted:

Strong like bull.

This is like something out of a Looney Tunes cartoon. She just flies so far and so perfectly upward.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

How does that work? If 100 people pledge, then how isn't that 100 separate transactions regardless of how Patreon chooses to batch them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The best part for me is that he probably could have coasted for quite some time, even with arms and legs restricted. He only fell because he freaked out :3: