Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's an odd way to spell Sisko

Picard was the best at smuggling entire tree branches around the quadrant rectally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mattfl posted:

It needs to, dude is pretty much dead weight around here. Nice guy and all, but replace him with someone half his age or someone fresh outta college and a lot more work would get done.

Let's not be ageist about things. I've met plenty of younger folk that are "dead weight" as well. Specifically referencing his age as why he's a bad/ineffective employee is wrong. He may lack motivation, hasn't kept his skill set up to date, be inefficient, just not smart, or a multitude of other things, but pinning everything on his age isn't cool. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but I feel like I have to comment about it.

I'm not trying to jump your poo poo about it or anything, but it's a real thing in the IT world that all of a sudden once you get "old" you're not as good as younger employees. Before you know it you're going to be the old guy trying to keep a job in the tech field while a bunch of people 30 years younger than you think negatively about you because of your age.

You know a lot of folks around here are in their mid/late 30's and staring at their 40's, some are in their 50's. Doesn't make them any worse at their jobs because they've gotten older. I work with some amazing engineers in their 50's and 60's, no one thinks replacing them with younger employees would be a good idea.

UWBW posted:

Has anybody in this thread gone from a phone tech to actual IT Support?

I've just accepted an offer for a local IT company to be part of their IT support crew and be on-call for issues at several locations for tech issues. I'm good with computers, and I'm good at explaining computer issues in easy-to-understand ways, but the majority of what I've done has been ISP helpdesk stuff and general helping-old-people-find-their-word-documents stuff. What major differences should I be prepared for?

Yeah, in my early 20's I got tired of waiting tables so I got a tech support job providing DSL support for a telco while I went to school. I graduated and after about 3 years on the phones fixing peoples internet I was given an opportunity to move into the internal IT department for the company.

Major differences off the top of my head

- no scope of support, limited escalation path. Telco support for me had a defined scope and escalation path, I would expect in your new position you'll be expected to take ownership of issues and see them through from beginning to end.
- can be a little more informal, working for a 3rd party company providing telco support we had a script we had to follow for the most part.

Don't be afraid to ask for help from more senior folks, but don't ask the same questions repeatedly . It's going to be rough until you get a grasp of the environment, you'll probably be learning a ton of new stuff in the first 3 to 6 months of the job. Take notes, hone your google fu, don't be afraid to ask questions or reach out.

Picard was the best Captain and will forever be the best.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's an odd way to spell Sisko

YOURE GONNA DIE CLOWN

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Someone got fired yesterday. That makes eight this year. Not quite as bad as it sounds, though. The director who left last year couldn’t stand confrontation so he never fired anybody. Going by ticket metrics, five were terrible, one was terrible by my personal experience working with him, one was a PM who was rude to stakeholders and disobeyed a direct order from her manager, and apparently this one leaked classified information badly enough that the CEO became involved.

We’ll see if I’m #9. At least I’ve been told what my manager’s last concerns about me are, and I’ve immediately changed what he was unhappy about.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wouldn't worry much if you've corrected whatever he was unhappy about. It's way easier to keep a good employee that can change than to find a replacement.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Somehow we got through November without the usual purge. Perhaps they'll do it at the Christmas party.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Somehow we got through November without the usual purge. Perhaps they'll do it at the Christmas party.

Nah. The day before. "Happy Holidays! BTW, please don't come to our holiday party. It's for employees only"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everyone gets a xmas gift. If you get a piece of coal in yours it means you're fired.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If you hear people talking about the Christmas party, and you're thinking "huh I didn't hear anything about a Christmas party", it's because you aren't going to the Christmas party.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Everyone gets a xmas gift. If you get a piece of coal in yours it means you're fired.

Yankee Swap firings

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

skipdogg posted:

Let's not be ageist about things.

It's funny, I turned 38 this year and thoughts like this start hitting you like a ton of bricks.

For example, I'm going on 10 years at my current position and like anything done for a long time, you start wondering if you should move on.

But it started taking on a new level of urgency for me because, well, I'm getting older and you start thinking of how easy it will be to find a new position in the tech industry once you are over 40.

If I stick this out for another 5 years, in theory my experience should make me more marketable, but then I'd also be 43 years old and competing with all those 22 year olds in what is viewed as a young persons field.

Also, holy poo poo, I've been registered to these forms and posting here for almost 20 years now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Proteus Jones posted:

Nah. The day before. "Happy Holidays! BTW, please don't come to our holiday party. It's for employees only"

Oh that would be lovely. I went last year but I'm not going this time. It's at the same place as last year which was too small and way too loud for me. I have a neurological issue where when background noise rises although I can hear people speaking it turns into gibberish. All I can do is nod and smile and look dumb because I can't tell what anyone's saying even if they shout into my ear.

As you can imagine this makes me avoid any loud gatherings. It frustrates the poo poo out of me that everyone thinks every get together requires music blasting at maximum volume.

EDIT: Also, I don't like these people and they don't like me. Life's too short to waste time on that sort of thing.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 8, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Also, holy poo poo, I've been registered to these forms and posting here for almost 20 years now.

I've been on here almost 11 years and it's slightly horrifying

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been on here almost 11 years and it's slightly horrifying

I even predate the great forum crash, so I think my original reg date was 1999.

Time gets us all.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

UWBW posted:

I've just accepted an offer for a local IT company to be part of their IT support crew and be on-call for issues at several locations for tech issues. I'm good with computers, and I'm good at explaining computer issues in easy-to-understand ways, but the majority of what I've done has been ISP helpdesk stuff and general helping-old-people-find-their-word-documents stuff. What major differences should I be prepared for?

I did big retail ISP support then remote phone-only service desk at the beginning of my career. We didn't have remote access/control then either, it was all relying on the 50 year old baby boomer that didn't know computers telling me what they saw (or not telling me what they saw) and then instructing them what to do. The biggest difference was being able to resolve the dumb poo poo faster because you're right there.

Another difference was on-site was more business/enterprise, so I quickly became an expert in troubleshooting Outlook/Word/Excel issues.

The switch to troubleshooting hardware was easy enough since I'd been building my own gaming computers since the late 90s, in fact it was easier troubleshooting hardware poo poo at work because you have more access to replacement known-good or new parts (for home gaming PC I don't keep spare RAM and drives and videocards sitting around).

Get used to people interrupting what you're doing with their problem, and handling that. You will have to think quick to defuse the situation, body language matters, triage on the fly.

Customers went from being strangers on the phone that can't really do much to make my life hard or threaten me, to executive admins that think they're hot poo poo and VPs that put in tickets then never respond to you then complain to your manager that their poo poo isn't fixed.

Crawling under desks and doing cabling sucks. Now I'm more of a Tier Infinity analyst (though technically I still do everything) so we pay contractors to crawl around thank god.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I even predate the great forum crash, so I think my original reg date was 1999.

Time gets us all.

And yet somehow there were 3963 Bulls before you.

Coming up on 15 years on SA and just passed 10 years at my job. I credit SH/SC for a lot of the work I've been able to do. This place is great for keeping me up to date and occasionally motivated.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Antioch posted:

And yet somehow there were 3963 Bulls before you.

Coming up on 15 years on SA and just passed 10 years at my job. I credit SH/SC for a lot of the work I've been able to do. This place is great for keeping me up to date and occasionally motivated.

I'm beginning to think that I'll never last 10 years at a single place of employment. I could absolutely stay at my current job, get content and be happy, but I'm too adventurous (and money grubbing) to stick around.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I spent 10 years at my last job, it was probably 5 years too long.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Besides pushing profanity comments to production I also set up several loadbalancers which had dns names like angrydragon|dirtysanchez|donkeypunch|pearlnecklace.company.internal.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm beginning to think that I'll never last 10 years at a single place of employment. I could absolutely stay at my current job, get content and be happy, but I'm too adventurous (and money grubbing) to stick around.

I've been desperately trying to find another job for a year now. 53 applications, 2 interviews, 1 offer at a 40k pay cut. Economy improving, still not a lot out there.

I've been with one company my entire professional life. Went from college to mom and pop repair to Desktop support at the FI, then "climbed the ranks" to Systems Administration and into Security.

It's a good gig and I make good money. But our VP treats company money like his own personal savings account - no training, no conferences. And absolutely no company time to do learning. I'm learning what I can on my own but honestly when I get home I'd rather spend time with my dog and wife (in that order) then rip into a lab. Luckily I can dick around in Powershell at work.

I can feel myself stagnating as I get older too. I'm only 34 and the youngest on my team, but seeing some of the new hires coming in to desktop support and even service desk with CCENT or MCSE 2016 or Azure Certs is starting to get to me. I want to change jobs just so I feel motivated again, so I feel like I can be doing something again instead of digging into Splunk logs and futzing with our certificate servers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Antioch posted:

I've been desperately trying to find another job for a year now. 53 applications, 2 interviews, 1 offer at a 40k pay cut. Economy improving, still not a lot out there.

I've been with one company my entire professional life. Went from college to mom and pop repair to Desktop support at the FI, then "climbed the ranks" to Systems Administration and into Security.

It's a good gig and I make good money. But our VP treats company money like his own personal savings account - no training, no conferences. And absolutely no company time to do learning. I'm learning what I can on my own but honestly when I get home I'd rather spend time with my dog and wife (in that order) then rip into a lab. Luckily I can dick around in Powershell at work.

I can feel myself stagnating as I get older too. I'm only 34 and the youngest on my team, but seeing some of the new hires coming in to desktop support and even service desk with CCENT or MCSE 2016 or Azure Certs is starting to get to me. I want to change jobs just so I feel motivated again, so I feel like I can be doing something again instead of digging into Splunk logs and futzing with our certificate servers.

Hello me from two years ago.

I ended up moving 350 miles for a new job because the local market was totally dead. Not an option for everyone though.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
When I first started in the workforce (20-ish years ago) my team lead told me in no uncertain terms: no profanity in the code. At all. Ever. Until then, in school projects I always had gently caress, suckMyBalls and other crap littering the code. No professor ever mentioned that to me, maybe they never read it?.
Sticking to that rule was not that hard and surely it saved me from quite a few embarrassments over the years.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not a prude by any stretch as my posts here would attest, but why would you cuss in your code? That just seems weird to me.

I'm trying to think of a scenario as a sys admin where I'm submitting a change request to deploy the new Fuckcunt SQL cluster.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

UWBW posted:

If you can troubleshoot you will be fine, troubleshooting at a very base level transfers well across all disciplines (trades like plumbing, electrical etc, different IT disciplines) that need to do troubleshooting.

Your differences will be minimal since I'm sure people yelled at you about internet outages, viruses from the internet and whatever other dumb poo poo they want to blame on you. Except now the other stuff WILL be your problem :)

*edit* other people definitely put in useful information. Just make sure you're a friendly, helpful and personable since you're likely to interact with the same people more often. A lot of stuff is going to be environment dependent, like what your company does, what it hosts in house (or in a datacenter you have space at) vs cloud, what the LOB applications are etc. As someone else said, do not be afraid to ask for help, you're the new guy and they (should) know this; one of the things that will let you know if you're at a good place to work is if the people above you help you learn and grow. Also, someone else said this as well, do not ask the same question multiple times, this is something that REALLY REALLY bothers me and people under me do it constantly. There's nothing that will make me not care about helping you to grow and learn faster than asking me the same question 3+ times, write poo poo down or better yet get evernote/onenote and drop notes in there in some organized fashion; put links to technet articles/vmware/whatever, put fixes for stuff at your work into there, try to keep it organized in some way (you want to be able to take the agnostic stuff with you and dump the work specific poo poo out of it).

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 8, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm not a prude by any stretch as my posts here would attest, but why would you cuss in your code? That just seems weird to me.

I'm trying to think of a scenario as a sys admin where I'm submitting a change request to deploy the new Fuckcunt SQL cluster.

When you're trying to figure out why this GOD drat THING won't execute, even though you pored over the syntax a million times. You've hit up stack overflow, you've talked to colleagues, you even beg people on random forums and this fucker SHOULD work, but isn't.

And then you find, in the 11th hour, it's some bullshit whitespace issue because your editor, which was recently updated, reverted to using TAB instead of 4 SPACE for indents.

I think at that point it shows admirable restraint to limit cursing to just the comment sections.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

When you're trying to figure out why this GOD drat THING won't execute, even though you pored over the syntax a million times. You've hit up stack overflow, you've talked to colleagues, you even beg people on random forums and this fucker SHOULD work, but isn't.

And then you find, in the 11th hour, it's some bullshit whitespace issue because your editor, which was recently updated, reverted to using TAB instead of 4 SPACE for indents.

I think at that point it shows admirable restraint to limit cursing to just the comment sections.

Oh curse, by all means, it makes you feel better. But not in writing :).

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Proteus Jones posted:

Have had this happen to me. No swearing in the comments, but required a new keyboard.

Comment cursing is generally from the stuff you leave for yourself after fighting with it for several hours.

## Fix this loving thing
or
## What the gently caress

Most of the time you remember to remove them all, but sometimes....

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

To be clear, I'm definitely not a fan of putting it in the comments. I think it's unprofessional to include that in the source.

But I empathize.

I am perfectly at ease with fat fingering typos, or using the wrong arguments in call, or even brain farting on my object attributes. They're easy to fix, and it happens to everyone. But issues like whitespace fuckery will kick start a Godzilla level rampage (usually limited to my office, so only my pets give me concerned looks).

It happened far more often in the 90s when I was doing system level work on BSDi systems, but god drat is it frustrating. "Don't GIVE ME this 'syntax error on line 89' BULLSHIT. You KNOW you're dumping out because you hit a TAB instead of SPACE. WHY WON'T YOU TELL ME THAT?"

I bear the scars to this day.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 8, 2017

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
At my last place I worked with a born again christian who was I would say..on the extreme side. He once sunsetted an older piece of code and commented it out referencing Ezekiel 20:38. It was strange and I was very glad to not have to work with him anymore.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sepist posted:

At my last place I worked with a born again christian who was I would say..on the extreme side. He once sunsetted an older piece of code and commented it out referencing Ezekiel 20:38. It was strange and I was very glad to not have to work with him anymore.

quote:

And I will purge out from among you the rebels, and them that transgress against me: I will bring them forth out of the country where they sojourn, and they shall not enter into the land of Israel: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.

Wow. That's a little extreme.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sepist posted:

Hahahahaha

quote:

And I will purge out from among you the rebels, and them that transgress against me: I will bring them forth out of the country where they sojourn, and they shall not enter into the land of Israel: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.

I could never hold that against someone. He knows the rage.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Did well on the in person but they passed on a final round. They said it was because I didn’t have enough SQL server knowledge.

This is so frustrating. I’m tired of having to play whack a mole with technical skills. One job wants SQL server, another networking, another coding, another active directory. My best leads are ones I get from friends, so targeting isn’t always possible. I try to learn it on my own, but unless I’m using it everyday it’s not going to stick.

I guess there’s no way out of desktop for me. What the hell was I thinking anyway? Did I really think I could leave behind on call desktop of a dumpster fire with my vacation getting taken away during this transition for a company with flexible time off and no on call? I should quit loving dreaming.

I almost wanted to call in sick and then get actually sick on vodka, but I’m on caaaall.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

skipdogg posted:

I wouldn't worry much if you've corrected whatever he was unhappy about. It's way easier to keep a good employee that can change than to find a replacement.

Yeah. He also has repeatedly said how he sees me as having a ton of potential but being really inexperienced. The second is definitely true, so I’m happy with that statement.

Turns out one of the people I thought got fired just for being bad got fired for giving himself permissions to authorize an invoice as the CFO.

And the person who got fired today missed a bunch of steps in setting up and transferring data to a user’s new laptop. This laptop belonged to a C-level. The new laptop did not have a considerable amount of data that should only be accessed by a C-level.

In good news, tonight is our holiday party. Steak dinner, appetizers, and three free drinks each with a cash bar after that. That might seem cheap to you, but to me it sounds like they will have a decent liquor selection, and my manager has agreed to give me scotch recommendations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Did well on the in person but they passed on a final round. They said it was because I didn’t have enough SQL server knowledge.

This is so frustrating. I’m tired of having to play whack a mole with technical skills. One job wants SQL server, another networking, another coding, another active directory. My best leads are ones I get from friends, so targeting isn’t always possible. I try to learn it on my own, but unless I’m using it everyday it’s not going to stick.

I guess there’s no way out of desktop for me. What the hell was I thinking anyway? Did I really think I could leave behind on call desktop of a dumpster fire with my vacation getting taken away during this transition for a company with flexible time off and no on call? I should quit loving dreaming.

I almost wanted to call in sick and then get actually sick on vodka, but I’m on caaaall.

If you need a mental health day, take a sick day. It doesn't matter if you're on call, people who are on call get sick. Let me guess, you work for an MSP?

As far as your problem goes, sometimes that's just the luck of the draw. Keep at it. My only advice is that SQL, networking, coding, are all distinct fields. I've been in IT for ~15 years and consider myself reasonably skilled and I wouldn't apply to any jobs that wanted strong knowledge in any of those fields. What are you passionate about? Pursue that, get good at that, and apply to jobs that are in-line with that.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Proteus Jones posted:

I could never hold that against someone. He knows the rage.

There was a lot more to be weirded out about, this was the tip of the iceberg. He dreamed that Trump would become president and deemed it's God's will, so it must happen. He would hand out protrump fliers around town. When it actually did happen, he just got more crazy. He also lives out of a Mazda CX-5 in a Walmart parking lot.

Edit: OH. He is originally from CA, but moved here to be with the woman of his dreams. He says they are in love. They never met, only online. When he finally came to NY she refused to meet up with him. Supposedly she has a restraining order against him.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sepist posted:

quote:

Beautiful.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah. He also has repeatedly said how he sees me as having a ton of potential but being really inexperienced. The second is definitely true, so I’m happy with that statement.

Turns out one of the people I thought got fired just for being bad got fired for giving himself permissions to authorize an invoice as the CFO.

And the person who got fired today missed a bunch of steps in setting up and transferring data to a user’s new laptop. This laptop belonged to a C-level. The new laptop did not have a considerable amount of data that should only be accessed by a C-level.

In good news, tonight is our holiday party. Steak dinner, appetizers, and three free drinks each with a cash bar after that. That might seem cheap to you, but to me it sounds like they will have a decent liquor selection, and my manager has agreed to give me scotch recommendations.

Haha don’t feel too bad. We’re having Olive Garden or some poo poo to go in a board room in the middle of the day, obviously no booze.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I save my cussing for the IT threads here. :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Haha don’t feel too bad. We’re having Olive Garden or some poo poo to go in a board room in the middle of the day, obviously no booze.

I don’t feel bad at all. This is the best holiday party I’ve been to.

Last year it was dominos and a potluck in a conference room. We played bingo and did secret Santa. Year before that was a bowling tournament and then two hours of family being allowed, but I hit something on the interstate and had to limp my car home so got less than a half hour there with my wife.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sepist posted:

There was a lot more to be weirded out about, this was the tip of the iceberg. He dreamed that Trump would become president and deemed it's God's will, so it must happen. He would hand out protrump fliers around town. When it actually did happen, he just got more crazy. He also lives out of a Mazda CX-5 in a Walmart parking lot.

Edit: OH. He is originally from CA, but moved here to be with the woman of his dreams. He says they are in love. They never met, only online. When he finally came to NY she refused to meet up with him. Supposedly she has a restraining order against him.
Yeesh, but for all of the context, I'd have just thought his Ezekiel comment was hilarious and nothing more. Tip of the iceberg indeed.